Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-12-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by abake Proof of life post here. Hope all the manatees are enjoying a safe and happy holiday season. DH and I were down in Florida for a week and drove home to Illinois over the weekend. We saw some of the tornado destruction in Kentucky and it was frightening to see it. In tri-related news, there's a sprint distance gravel triathlon in Michigan that I'm considering doing with some friends. There's a gravel race on Saturday and then the tri is on Sunday. I haven't been in the pool or run in close to a year, so not sure how that's going to be. I've dealt with chronic plantar fascitis since 2015 (post Ironman) and can run just a bit but have to back off at the first hint of a flare.

The areas impacted by that storm look like a war zone. I can't imagine what it was like nor how you know where to start to get your life back.

Pretty bold move to do a tri without swimming or running for so long, but in keeping with the Manatee theme -DO EETT! (I always spell that incorrectly ).  PF stinks, sorry you have to deal with it on a chronic basis. 

2021-12-16 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abakeProof of life post here. Hope all the manatees are enjoying a safe and happy holiday season. DH and I were down in Florida for a week and drove home to Illinois over the weekend. We saw some of the tornado destruction in Kentucky and it was frightening to see it. In tri-related news, there's a sprint distance gravel triathlon in Michigan that I'm considering doing with some friends. There's a gravel race on Saturday and then the tri is on Sunday. I haven't been in the pool or run in close to a year, so not sure how that's going to be. I've dealt with chronic plantar fascitis since 2015 (post Ironman) and can run just a bit but have to back off at the first hint of a flare.
Yay!! Ann is gonna tri!
2021-12-16 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Proof of life post here. Hope all the manatees are enjoying a safe and happy holiday season. DH and I were down in Florida for a week and drove home to Illinois over the weekend. We saw some of the tornado destruction in Kentucky and it was frightening to see it. In tri-related news, there's a sprint distance gravel triathlon in Michigan that I'm considering doing with some friends. There's a gravel race on Saturday and then the tri is on Sunday. I haven't been in the pool or run in close to a year, so not sure how that's going to be. I've dealt with chronic plantar fascitis since 2015 (post Ironman) and can run just a bit but have to back off at the first hint of a flare.

Prep for USAT gravel nationals in Arkansas?

2021-12-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

The areas impacted by that storm look like a war zone. I can't imagine what it was like nor how you know where to start to get your life back.

Pretty bold move to do a tri without swimming or running for so long, but in keeping with the Manatee theme -DO EETT! (I always spell that incorrectly ).  PF stinks, sorry you have to deal with it on a chronic basis. 

What AM said DOOOOO EEEEETTTTT!!!!

2021-12-17 5:10 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Ha, DO EETT will be the mantra.
2021-12-17 5:13 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by jmkizer

Prep for USAT gravel nationals in Arkansas?

I've been out of tri-related matters for a long time and had to google USAT gravel nationals. Had no idea but given the popularity of gravel, I suppose it was a matter of time. I'm sure that would be a challenging event.

2021-12-21 3:27 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Anyone home? It is verrrry quiet here.
2021-12-21 10:05 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
I have a few things.

I've been running in Hoka ONE ONE for a couple of months now, and I hate to say this, but I don't love them. Mostly because I don't wear socks. New Zoot running shoes might have a hot spot or two, Normally on the back of my ankle. The Hokas are just shredding my feet. Mostly the big toe and the side where the ball of my foot is. Saying I need a generous amount of Glide to run in these is an understatement. The cushioning is good but WOW, they were killing me. Good news is they don't aggravate my Achilles tendonitis.

I've also switched to a smart trainer. I gave my Cyclops dumb trainer to my daughter with the bike and picked up a Kinetic Road Machine. It took a little bit for me to get used to the tension changing automatically. I kept trying to adjust with my gears. I think I've got it now. It was a little disappointing that the virtual power was higher than the real power. We will see how things work out in April.

Nutrition is the other thing I've been working on. My daughter and her boyfriend think that I was drinking too much Gatorade and taking in too much food at one time, so my stomach was not clearing. They theorize that food is backing up in my stomach causing nausea and I'm not absorbing calories. Then I throw up. I include a caveat. Both started with Gatorade is a horrible thing to drink for long distance sports. They want me to take in smaller amounts of nutrition at a time with a sip of water. About a pebble sized amount of Gel (they think Honey Stinger has the best ingredients) along with it a sip of water, about every 5-10 minutes. I bought a couple of gel bottles. I've tried it a couple of times. I was mostly worried about getting it out of the bottle. Keeping it in my jersey pocket, it is more liquid and drinks easier. They want me to take in something solid in transition. Also, on the bike they want me to wait an hour before I start taking in nutrition. It should work out to be the same amount of nutrition, but in easier to digest amounts, so my stomach has a chance to empty.
2021-12-22 8:19 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I have a few things. I've been running in Hoka ONE ONE for a couple of months now, and I hate to say this, but I don't love them. Mostly because I don't wear socks. New Zoot running shoes might have a hot spot or two, Normally on the back of my ankle. The Hokas are just shredding my feet. Mostly the big toe and the side where the ball of my foot is. Saying I need a generous amount of Glide to run in these is an understatement. The cushioning is good but WOW, they were killing me. Good news is they don't aggravate my Achilles tendonitis. I've also switched to a smart trainer. I gave my Cyclops dumb trainer to my daughter with the bike and picked up a Kinetic Road Machine. It took a little bit for me to get used to the tension changing automatically. I kept trying to adjust with my gears. I think I've got it now. It was a little disappointing that the virtual power was higher than the real power. We will see how things work out in April. Nutrition is the other thing I've been working on. My daughter and her boyfriend think that I was drinking too much Gatorade and taking in too much food at one time, so my stomach was not clearing. They theorize that food is backing up in my stomach causing nausea and I'm not absorbing calories. Then I throw up. I include a caveat. Both started with Gatorade is a horrible thing to drink for long distance sports. They want me to take in smaller amounts of nutrition at a time with a sip of water. About a pebble sized amount of Gel (they think Honey Stinger has the best ingredients) along with it a sip of water, about every 5-10 minutes. I bought a couple of gel bottles. I've tried it a couple of times. I was mostly worried about getting it out of the bottle. Keeping it in my jersey pocket, it is more liquid and drinks easier. They want me to take in something solid in transition. Also, on the bike they want me to wait an hour before I start taking in nutrition. It should work out to be the same amount of nutrition, but in easier to digest amounts, so my stomach has a chance to empty.

Sorry about the Hokas. Have you tried rungoo?  I bought some when my bunion was causing issues with one of my running shoes. It worked quite well. My issue resolved so I don't use it now. I did, however, turn a friend on to it and she uses it or hikegoo when she does her super long hikes. She swears by it. Prior to using it her feet would blister quiet badly, now she is fine. It's spendy , but may be worth a try.

It sounds like your daughter and her boyfriend are giving you really good advice on the nutrition front. I know that the mantra i've been told re eating is to sip, sip, nibble, nibble. Have you given any thought to moving completely away from gels and using real food -at least on the bike? I am reworking my nutrition plan and that is the aim.  This is an older (short) clip of Dr. Sims discussing fueling for IM races. 

Other than the blow to the power numbers ego, how are you liking the smart trainer?  

2021-12-22 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella I have a few things. I've been running in Hoka ONE ONE for a couple of months now, and I hate to say this, but I don't love them. Mostly because I don't wear socks. New Zoot running shoes might have a hot spot or two, Normally on the back of my ankle. The Hokas are just shredding my feet. Mostly the big toe and the side where the ball of my foot is. Saying I need a generous amount of Glide to run in these is an understatement. The cushioning is good but WOW, they were killing me. Good news is they don't aggravate my Achilles tendonitis. I've also switched to a smart trainer. I gave my Cyclops dumb trainer to my daughter with the bike and picked up a Kinetic Road Machine. It took a little bit for me to get used to the tension changing automatically. I kept trying to adjust with my gears. I think I've got it now. It was a little disappointing that the virtual power was higher than the real power. We will see how things work out in April. Nutrition is the other thing I've been working on. My daughter and her boyfriend think that I was drinking too much Gatorade and taking in too much food at one time, so my stomach was not clearing. They theorize that food is backing up in my stomach causing nausea and I'm not absorbing calories. Then I throw up. I include a caveat. Both started with Gatorade is a horrible thing to drink for long distance sports. They want me to take in smaller amounts of nutrition at a time with a sip of water. About a pebble sized amount of Gel (they think Honey Stinger has the best ingredients) along with it a sip of water, about every 5-10 minutes. I bought a couple of gel bottles. I've tried it a couple of times. I was mostly worried about getting it out of the bottle. Keeping it in my jersey pocket, it is more liquid and drinks easier. They want me to take in something solid in transition. Also, on the bike they want me to wait an hour before I start taking in nutrition. It should work out to be the same amount of nutrition, but in easier to digest amounts, so my stomach has a chance to empty.

Sorry about the Hokas. Have you tried rungoo?  I bought some when my bunion was causing issues with one of my running shoes. It worked quite well. My issue resolved so I don't use it now. I did, however, turn a friend on to it and she uses it or hikegoo when she does her super long hikes. She swears by it. Prior to using it her feet would blister quiet badly, now she is fine. It's spendy , but may be worth a try.

It sounds like your daughter and her boyfriend are giving you really good advice on the nutrition front. I know that the mantra i've been told re eating is to sip, sip, nibble, nibble. Have you given any thought to moving completely away from gels and using real food -at least on the bike? I am reworking my nutrition plan and that is the aim.  This is an older (short) clip of Dr. Sims discussing fueling for IM races. 

Other than the blow to the power numbers ego, how are you liking the smart trainer?  

Sorry that the Hokas are not working out for you. I guess that's why there are so many running shoes on the market? 

I'm gonna check out that rungoo, Ann-Marie.

I think that you are getting some good nutrition advice. One thing that I will add is that what worked for you two years ago might not work for you next year. For me, at least, it's constantly evolving.  For IM distance on the bike, I settled on liquid calories (Infinit or EFS Liquid Shots) every 10 minutes + a Clif Shot Block every 20 minutes + one gel with caffeine with 5-10 miles to go.  My stomach still got wonky by mile 15 or so on the run though. I actually think it was dehydration as much as anything else.  At any rate, I know that there are more products on the market now than ever before. I hope that you are able to develop nutrition a plan that works for you!

I hope that you are enjoying the smart trainer!

2021-12-23 9:07 AM

User image

Expert

Sorry that the Hokas are not working out for you. I guess that's why there are so many running shoes on the market? 

I think that you are getting some good nutrition advice. One thing that I will add is that what worked for you two years ago might not work for you next year. For me, at least, it's constantly evolving.  For IM distance on the bike, I settled on liquid calories (Infinit or EFS Liquid Shots) every 10 minutes + a Clif Shot Block every 20 minutes + one gel with caffeine with 5-10 miles to go.  My stomach still got wonky by mile 15 or so on the run though. I actually think it was dehydration as much as anything else.  At any rate, I know that there are more products on the market now than ever before. I hope that you are able to develop nutrition a plan that works for you!

I just ordered Rungoo.

I like the Smart Trainer. One of the biggest things is I am not constantly shifting to match resistance. It was a little concerning to constantly shift. It felt like it wasn't good for the bike.

I talked about going liquid nutrition, but they were concerned about digestion. They have A LOT of issues with Gatorade, but one of them is that it is so nutrient and sodium rich that it causes dehydration.
I've toyed with the idea of all real food. I usually eat grapes and oranges on the run and do well with that. (unless I'm already sick).
I'm a little disappointed that I moved away from weak Tang and started drinking Gatorade. I had never had issues with that. I am going to follow the advice of the future doctors, and see how it works out.

2021-12-23 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

I just ordered Rungoo. I like the Smart Trainer. One of the biggest things is I am not constantly shifting to match resistance. It was a little concerning to constantly shift. It felt like it wasn't good for the bike. I talked about going liquid nutrition, but they were concerned about digestion. They have A LOT of issues with Gatorade, but one of them is that it is so nutrient and sodium rich that it causes dehydration. I've toyed with the idea of all real food. I usually eat grapes and oranges on the run and do well with that. (unless I'm already sick). I'm a little disappointed that I moved away from weak Tang and started drinking Gatorade. I had never had issues with that. I am going to follow the advice of the future doctors, and see how it works out.

fingers crossed for rungoo success! Gatorade and I don’t get along either. 

2021-12-25 8:49 PM
in reply to: #5273965

Merry Christmas manatees!!! Been a hectic few weeks here. Hope all is well for all of you.
2021-12-26 5:16 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by alaskatri

Merry Christmas manatees!!! Been a hectic few weeks here. Hope all is well for all of you.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
2021-12-26 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by alaskatri Merry Christmas manatees!!! Been a hectic few weeks here. Hope all is well for all of you.

i hope all had a Merry Christmas and will have a wonderful New Year! And happy birthday a day late to Janyne!

2021-12-27 7:02 AM
in reply to: Riyasingh1

User image

Champion
Bronze member
We have a spammer!!!

2021-12-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh We have a spammer!!!

Reported :-(

2021-12-27 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by alaskatri Merry Christmas manatees!!! Been a hectic few weeks here. Hope all is well for all of you.

i hope all had a Merry Christmas and will have a wonderful New Year! And happy birthday a day late to Janyne!

I hope that everyone is enjoying their holidays!

2021-12-27 8:31 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!

Nutrition is the other thing I've been working on. My daughter and her boyfriend think that I was drinking too much Gatorade and taking in too much food at one time, so my stomach was not clearing. They theorize that food is backing up in my stomach causing nausea and I'm not absorbing calories. Then I throw up. I include a caveat. Both started with Gatorade is a horrible thing to drink for long distance sports. They want me to take in smaller amounts of nutrition at a time with a sip of water. About a pebble sized amount of Gel (they think Honey Stinger has the best ingredients) along with it a sip of water, about every 5-10 minutes. I bought a couple of gel bottles. I've tried it a couple of times. I was mostly worried about getting it out of the bottle. Keeping it in my jersey pocket, it is more liquid and drinks easier. They want me to take in something solid in transition. Also, on the bike they want me to wait an hour before I start taking in nutrition. It should work out to be the same amount of nutrition, but in easier to digest amounts, so my stomach has a chance to empty.

I've spent a lot of time on nutrition and have lots of spreadsheets so I'll throw my thoughts on the pile:

1. Everyone is different and it's trial and error
2. Gatorade is different from Gatorade endurance - which are you talking about?
3. Keep it simple as possible.
4. Small amounts often
5. Find a starting point - a recommended baseline of how much the average endurance athlete with your weight and racing conditions (heat etc) would take in for calories, water, salt and start testing from there. Go up or down as needed
6. Test different mixes of all liquid vs some liquid and some solid and see how that goes.

I have more but that's where I'd start. Good luck

oh one more thing - if you're not absorbing liquid and you feel like it's sloshing in your stomach, look at electrolytes FIRST.
2021-12-27 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I just ordered Rungoo. I like the Smart Trainer. One of the biggest things is I am not constantly shifting to match resistance. It was a little concerning to constantly shift. It felt like it wasn't good for the bike. I talked about going liquid nutrition, but they were concerned about digestion. They have A LOT of issues with Gatorade, but one of them is that it is so nutrient and sodium rich that it causes dehydration. I've toyed with the idea of all real food. I usually eat grapes and oranges on the run and do well with that. (unless I'm already sick). I'm a little disappointed that I moved away from weak Tang and started drinking Gatorade. I had never had issues with that. I am going to follow the advice of the future doctors, and see how it works out.

fingers crossed for rungoo success! Gatorade and I don’t get along either. 

I'm not sure that I'd place Gatorade in the "liquid nutrition" category. There are a several  options available now that that are better designed for endurance events.

On the plus side, liquid calories don't tend to sit in the gut as there is no breakdown from solid to liquid necessary. 

On the minus side, if it's much hotter or much cooler than the weather than you trained in and so carefully used to determine your calories per hour, it can all go south really fast.  I've done a liquid fuel concentrate + water to help counter that problem on the IM/HIM bike. 

While I have had problems in the last third of the IM run, I think that it was most likely dehydration more than anything else.

The only way to know what works best for you is to try it out in training.

2021-12-27 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Deleted post and banned user and banned user's IP address.

2021-12-27 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I do not see a new Mentor Program for 2022 -- at least not yet.  Please keep your eyes peeled.  I don't what us to be caught off-guard and be archived before we are ready!

Speaking of ready, do we want to do a JoGo to start off 2022?  Or maybe wait and start it mid-month?  Are are we over the whole JoGo idea?

2021-12-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alicefoeller Deleted post and banned user and banned user's IP address.

Thanks, Alice!

2021-12-27 12:04 PM
in reply to: #5273965

I'd definitely be in for a challenge. Good way to start the year. It has been a rough end of the year here.
2021-12-27 8:18 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I do not see a new Mentor Program for 2022 -- at least not yet.  Please keep your eyes peeled.  I don't what us to be caught off-guard and be archived before we are ready!

Speaking of ready, do we want to do a JoGo to start off 2022?  Or maybe wait and start it mid-month?  Are are we over the whole JoGo idea?

YES!!! I am ready for a challenge! 2018, 19, 20 and 21 sucked in increasing amounts. [Knocking on wood] i am ready to make incremental improvents.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74