Other Resources 2021 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page

of 10

2021-01-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by cdban66

Week 1 mid week check in. How goes it JoGoers? I am half way to my weekly goal, with a few rides on the schedule, so I should be good. And after a trip tp Mt Dora this weekend, I've hit my elevation goal for the entire challenge  Take that Janyne!

"Mount" Dora.

I'm doing pretty well. I'm up-to-date on my workouts.  I need to be sure to the that fourth mobility workout of the week in this week and I really need to nail my bike workouts if I'm going to to Tour of Sufferlandria next month.

500+ feet of punchy climbing!!!!! WooHoo. 

OK, I don't think any one "climb" topped 30 ft, but who is going to argue semantics? That is nearly as much elevation as I see in a year here in Englewood.

I'm just teasing!

I know, I know, it's all good. 

2021-01-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

McAlester, Oklahoma

Proof of Life. 

I have spent 10 days this year House Hunting in Houston. We made two offers last week on homes but didn't get either of them.  The second one we were $13K over list price but there were 7 offers.  I hope interest rates go back up.  If they would double or triple that would be all good with me because it would keep all the people that are upgrading from their 6-1/2% loans they got 15 years ago, when interest rates were at historic lows, to the current 2-1/2% loans so they can get a bigger home for the same payment.  It is really crazy.  Nothing we looked at two weeks ago is still on the market.  Half of the stuff we looked at four days ago is sold.  I don't know if we are going to get anything with this housing market.

So with travel, I have been missing half of my workouts.  The hotel I was at 2-1/2 weeks ago had a nice spin bike that I used for my bike training.  It didn't have Watts, so I spent more time making adjustments than riding but I got my HR up and went through the motions.  Last week all we had was a sit-down bike with your hands anchored under the seat and your feet up at waist height.  That sitdown bike worked muscles I don't usually use and I was sore after that workout.  On Saturday I was home and did a 20-minute trainer ride.  It had a lot of long intervals at high intensity.  I survived them all, but when I got off the bike my felt leg locked up.  I have never experienced that on a training ride (just long course races).  The first places to lock up were the muscles that were sore after the sit-down bike work out.  On Monday I has some running speed work, but died before I got through all of them (likely due to the locked-up legs on Saturday still affecting me).  Today was a workout, unlike anything I have ever done before.  It had me doing 5 minutes above FTP then 1 minute of recovery, then jumping off the bike and doing squats for two minutes then jumping back onto the bike and doing the 5' super threshold intervals then back to the squats. It was kind of crazy jumping on and off the bike.  After the bike, it had a 10K Brick Run.  Ya...that was very different from anything I have done before.      

2021-01-19 2:59 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
It took a while, but I just noticed your location Chris. An uncle of mine has a place in Englewood and, in a normal year, spends the winter there. I was there for a visit just over a decade ago, and during the visit my wife and I took a day trip up to a park in Orlando too. Nice country around there!
2021-01-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Micawber It took a while, but I just noticed your location Chris. An uncle of mine has a place in Englewood and, in a normal year, spends the winter there. I was there for a visit just over a decade ago, and during the visit my wife and I took a day trip up to a park in Orlando too. Nice country around there!

Did you go there for hill training?

2021-01-19 3:04 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Proof of Life. 

I have spent 10 days this year House Hunting in Houston. We made two offers last week on homes but didn't get either of them.  The second one we were $13K over list price but there were 7 offers.  I hope interest rates go back up.  If they would double or triple that would be all good with me because it would keep all the people that are upgrading from their 6-1/2% loans they got 15 years ago, when interest rates were at historic lows, to the current 2-1/2% loans so they can get a bigger home for the same payment.  It is really crazy.  Nothing we looked at two weeks ago is still on the market.  Half of the stuff we looked at four days ago is sold.  I don't know if we are going to get anything with this housing market.

So with travel, I have been missing half of my workouts.  The hotel I was at 2-1/2 weeks ago had a nice spin bike that I used for my bike training.  It didn't have Watts, so I spent more time making adjustments than riding but I got my HR up and went through the motions.  Last week all we had was a sit-down bike with your hands anchored under the seat and your feet up at waist height.  That sitdown bike worked muscles I don't usually use and I was sore after that workout.  On Saturday I was home and did a 20-minute trainer ride.  It had a lot of long intervals at high intensity.  I survived them all, but when I got off the bike my felt leg locked up.  I have never experienced that on a training ride (just long course races).  The first places to lock up were the muscles that were sore after the sit-down bike work out.  On Monday I has some running speed work, but died before I got through all of them (likely due to the locked-up legs on Saturday still affecting me).  Today was a workout, unlike anything I have ever done before.  It had me doing 5 minutes above FTP then 1 minute of recovery, then jumping off the bike and doing squats for two minutes then jumping back onto the bike and doing the 5' super threshold intervals then back to the squats. It was kind of crazy jumping on and off the bike.  After the bike, it had a 10K Brick Run.  Ya...that was very different from anything I have done before.      

I'm sorry that the housing market is so nuts.  That does not sound like fun at all   Then again, jumping off the bike to do squats followed by more intervals followed by a 10k brick run...

2021-01-19 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Toronto

Proof of Life. 

I'm sorry that the housing market is so nuts.  That does not sound like fun at all   Then again, jumping off the bike to do squats followed by more intervals followed by a 10k brick run...

Also sorry to hear about your house hunting troubles. It does feel like it's this way in many places. Here, apparently people are leaving the city in record numbers but home prices are still up significantly and selling so fast they may or may not even make it on the market. 

Glad you're still getting to what you can exercise-wise. 

2021-01-19 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto

Finally got myself some new bike shoes. I ended up with tri shoes not because that was what i was really after but because similar to housing it seems bike gear is in short supply. i ordered a pair of road shoes first for curbside pick up (we are in lockdown again/still) but i ordered the wrong size ... but when i went to see about another size they were all out of my size. And many of the other options were also out of stock in my size so i went to another bike shop close by and managed to get a pair of LG tri shoes in my size. They seem to fit! They won't be the best for training in the fall as they are so vented and my feet will freeze in the Canadian climate ... but good for indoors and summer races! I am really not likely to do a flying mount or dismount so .... 

so, i'll be installing some cleats and riding tonight. I'll have to throw out my old ones or knowing me i'll try to wear those sad falling apart ones at some point. 

Edited by juniperjen 2021-01-19 3:13 PM
2021-01-19 3:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania
2021-01-19 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Proof of Life. 

x2 to all of this! That workout sound soul crushing!

2021-01-19 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Finally got myself some new bike shoes. I ended up with tri shoes not because that was what i was really after but because similar to housing it seems bike gear is in short supply. i ordered a pair of road shoes first for curbside pick up (we are in lockdown again/still) but i ordered the wrong size ... but when i went to see about another size they were all out of my size. And many of the other options were also out of stock in my size so i went to another bike shop close by and managed to get a pair of LG tri shoes in my size. They seem to fit! They won't be the best for training in the fall as they are so vented and my feet will freeze in the Canadian climate ... but good for indoors and summer races! I am really not likely to do a flying mount or dismount so .... 

so, i'll be installing some cleats and riding tonight. I'll have to throw out my old ones or knowing me i'll try to wear those sad falling apart ones at some point. 

Funny, I had not even considered that bike shoes would be hard to find even though I know all things bike are! Guess that’s another excuse for me not to shoe hunt.

Enjoy your ride.

2021-01-19 3:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Here's an interview on ST with my former coach: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/The_Determined_Zwift_Badge_Hunter__7863.html 

Wow, he is intense and quite the athlete. 

2021-01-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

Originally posted by Micawber It took a while, but I just noticed your location Chris. An uncle of mine has a place in Englewood and, in a normal year, spends the winter there. I was there for a visit just over a decade ago, and during the visit my wife and I took a day trip up to a park in Orlando too. Nice country around there!

LOL !!

Edit: I did actually get some training. Even though it was February, I had a great swim in the Gulf one afternoon.

Edited by Micawber 2021-01-19 4:03 PM
2021-01-19 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by juniperjen

My last pair of bike shoes were LG tri shoes. They were comfortable and held up well. The shoe help up well, just the uppers started to wear after several years. If your pair was as good as mine, I think you will like them.
2021-01-20 5:31 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Micawber

LOL !! Edit: I did actually get some training. Even though it was February, I had a great swim in the Gulf one afternoon.

ARGH, that is some cold water!!! 

How can you find the Florida locals on the beach in February? They're at home. 

2021-01-20 8:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats to the people getting their vaccines/appointments - Melanie etc. Don't feel guilty at all but just remember, when I'm dead last next September and I post my pic on FB I want a like from every one of you :D

So sorry for your loss Robin. It's so hard

Hope everyone is having a good week!
New Thread
Other Resources 2021 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 10