BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-11-27 6:32 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by alaskatri ...Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. 

So...I had been planning on running the Saturday Dec. 3 St. Jude Marathon in Memphis for the past 5 months.  Training was going great up to my final long run two weeks ago which was a 21-miler with race pace and sub race training worked into it.  I ended up backing out of the Marathon though.  I have another commitment on the 3rd of December so I signed up for a Thanksgiving day 1/2 Marathon as a consolation race.  I ran a 1:20:16 to finish 1st place over all and to break the course record by 4 seconds.  Another guy on the Kiwami Triathlon Team was at the race and got a photo of us at the finish line.  We both set PR's in our races.   I was going to propose that we make the beard part of the 2023 team uniform.  :-)  I am growing mine out for a musical I have a part in. Our Tech Rehearsal is the other commitment I have on the 3rd of December.   

Wow, congrats - that is some consolation race!!

2022-11-28 6:31 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by amd723

So...I had been planning on running the Saturday Dec. 3 St. Jude Marathon in Memphis for the past 5 months.  Training was going great up to my final long run two weeks ago which was a 21-miler with race pace and sub race training worked into it.  I ended up backing out of the Marathon though.  I have another commitment on the 3rd of December so I signed up for a Thanksgiving day 1/2 Marathon as a consolation race.  I ran a 1:20:16 to finish 1st place over all and to break the course record by 4 seconds.  Another guy on the Kiwami Triathlon Team was at the race and got a photo of us at the finish line.  We both set PR's in our races.   I was going to propose that we make the beard part of the 2023 team uniform.  :-)  I am growing mine out for a musical I have a part in. Our Tech Rehearsal is the other commitment I have on the 3rd of December.   

Zowie! You are a force! Congratulations. What is your upcoming role?
2022-11-28 10:00 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

damn! Well done!
2022-11-28 10:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on the IM! If I'm still alive after drinking all that water in SE Asia (including one HIM swim that was almost cancelled after a chemical spill and one that I KNOW was downstream of a sewage outlet pipe) you should be fine. I have not yet noticed that I glow in the dark. Consider it an immune system boost! Currently doing some black Friday shopping. Took care of the swim nuts and bolts (goggles, fins). Apparently swim fin socks are a thing. Going to try them as fins always seem to bother my feet. Some people at Masters have hem. All ready to drop the ball on a cool new tri suit and then realized it was NOT on sale. Just can't justify $240. Off for more shopping!

$240 - yikes!

2022-11-28 10:23 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Congratulations on IM Randee. Very impressive. It's been a while since I've checked in. I went through a period of being really busy at work, and then we had our election up here. Happily, I was retained and get to keep my job for another 6 years. First time going through that and it was pretty nerve-wrecking. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Ours was mediocre. I was out of town last week working and got sick at the beginning of the week. I was really sick by the time I came home last Friday, but it was not Covid. My wife started getting sick last Friday, and on Sunday she tested positive. So we had two different illnesses going in the house. Then my son started getting sick, and I was pretty worried he got Covid from my wife since she got it from the school they both go to everyday. Turns out I think I passed my illness on to son, as he remains covid-negative. So I am now about over my sickness (almost 2 weeks' worth), my son is right in the middle of it, and wife is in isolation dealing with covid. Definitely hoping to push through the next few weeks before my daughter comes home for the holidays from college. Hope everyone is staying healthy this holiday season.

Congrats on the election.

Oh geez! That's a lot of sickness to pass around the family.

2022-11-28 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congrats! That's super impressive!

2022-11-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Black Friday/Cyber Monday results

• Bike shorts all around -- both me and Kevin.
  • My finger slipped and I got something form the Oiselle sale (shorts and tank)
  • Balega run socks
  • Drinkmate for homemade fizzy water

That's about it.  I hope everyone else had success.

2022-11-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by ceilidh

So.. I ran a 1:20:16 to finish 1st place over all and to break the course record by 4 seconds.   

Zowie! You are a force! Congratulations. What is your upcoming role?

I am in a Musical called "Savior of the World".  We are just doing Act 1 which deals with the events in the Bible surrounding the birth of Jesus (with a touch of Book of Mormon events).  I am Nephi the Prophet and Jeshua the Shepard.  Nephi's is a Book of Mormon prophet and he recounts his father's Lehi's vision of John the Bapstist and his own vision of Mary the mother of Jesus.  Jeshua is a fictitious character that represents one of the shepherds that the angels proclaimed the birth of Jesus to.  The shepherds have best part.  We get to a perform three part harmony song in a double male Trio.  The director told me I either had to grow out a bear or wear a fake one and that if I wear a fake one it was going to look dumb.  So I grew out the beard.  I am still doing the double take every time I see a photo of me with the beard.  :-)   

2022-11-28 12:50 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

• Balega run socks

Balega running socks are my favorite.  :-)

2022-11-28 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Balega run socks

Good finds!  I had some similar buys to you: balega run socks and Oiselle top (sweatshirt for me and jacket for a xmas gift). I also bought leg warmers and bike vest and an ooni pizza oven

2022-11-28 12:52 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Balega run socks

very nice!

I bought a whoop. My PT/Sports performance guy says it will be a game changer (we'll see) and he's committed to help me read the data.

I'm off to the Oiselle sale now

Oh and I got an extra IMAZ Souvenir - COVID! YAY! grumble. Full blown Thanksgiving day - Dr on call got me the anti viral script so I'm pretty happy it's not worse. I mean it's not fun - but it's not terrible.

Shop on people! What else do I need?

2022-11-28 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Balega run socks

I recently discovered that the socks do not, in fact, last forever!

2022-11-28 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Balega run socks

Good finds!  I had some similar buys to you: balega run socks and Oiselle top (sweatshirt for me and jacket for a xmas gift). I also bought leg warmers and bike vest and an ooni pizza oven

I almost got the black track top but wasn't sure about it without feeling the fabric.  Plus I asked for a Cognitive hoodie for Christmas/birthday.

2022-11-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

• Balega run socks

very nice! I bought a whoop. My PT/Sports performance guy says it will be a game changer (we'll see) and he's committed to help me read the data. I'm off to the Oiselle sale now Oh and I got an extra IMAZ Souvenir - COVID! YAY! grumble. Full blown Thanksgiving day - Dr on call got me the anti viral script so I'm pretty happy it's not worse. I mean it's not fun - but it's not terrible. Shop on people! What else do I need?

The Whoop and Oura ring devices intrigue me, but I'm pretty sure I'd ignore whatever metric they put out so I haven't gotten farther than being intrigued. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Sorry about Covid! I understand that these races are pretty big Covid spreaders   Post choo 70.3 in May I kept reading FB posts from people with it or who knew racers who had it. Read the same after Kona too. That is not surprising considering the number of people from all over that gather in close quarters. Add to that after the race your body is super stressed and it's more surprising that more people don't get it! I'm happy that you got the antiviral (that's my plan if/when I get it) and that you are "not terrible"!

Edited by amd723 2022-11-28 1:03 PM
2022-11-28 1:04 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Balega run socks

very nice! I bought a whoop. My PT/Sports performance guy says it will be a game changer (we'll see) and he's committed to help me read the data. I'm off to the Oiselle sale now Oh and I got an extra IMAZ Souvenir - COVID! YAY! grumble. Full blown Thanksgiving day - Dr on call got me the anti viral script so I'm pretty happy it's not worse. I mean it's not fun - but it's not terrible. Shop on people! What else do I need?

Oh geez! I'm so sorry to hear about Thanksgiving covid.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the Whoop.

2022-11-28 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Balega run socks

My socks probably last a shorter time than yours b/c some shaggy dog likes to carry mine around and apparently dog teeth don't play nicely with fabric.

2022-11-28 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Balega run socks

The Whoop and Oura ring devices intrigue me, but I'm pretty sure I'd ignore whatever metric they put out so I haven't gotten farther than being intrigued. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Sorry about Covid! I understand that these races are pretty big Covid spreaders   Post choo 70.3 in May I kept reading FB posts from people with it or who knew racers who had it. Read the same after Kona too. That is not surprising considering the number of people from all over that gather in close quarters. Add to that after the race your body is super stressed and it's more surprising that more people don't get it! I'm happy that you got the antiviral (that's my plan if/when I get it) and that you are "not terrible"!

Yeah, when I made a "rule" for myself that I would not look at the Garmin performance condition during runs and that I would not look at the Garmin body battery reading until *after* my morning workout, I knew that Whoop and Oura would not be my jam -- at least not for the time being. It does seem like super cool technology though!

Edited by jmkizer 2022-11-28 1:06 PM
2022-11-28 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Balega run socks

My socks probably last a shorter time than yours b/c some shaggy dog likes to carry mine around and apparently dog teeth don't play nicely with fabric.

I'm shocked! Maybe you should speak to the manufacturer?

2022-11-28 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Balega run socks

I almost got the black track top but wasn't sure about it without feeling the fabric.  Plus I asked for a Cognitive hoodie for Christmas/birthday.

ooh, I like that black track top! The hoodie is cute too, but I already have more hoodies than is reasonable for a Floridian

2022-11-28 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

• Balega run socks

I'm shocked! Maybe you should speak to the manufacturer?

If they worked on it they could get a Teddy tested, Teddy approved label.

2022-11-28 3:22 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

• Balega run socks

Yeah, when I made a "rule" for myself that I would not look at the Garmin performance condition during runs and that I would not look at the Garmin body battery reading until *after* my morning workout, I knew that Whoop and Oura would not be my jam -- at least not for the time being. It does seem like super cool technology though!

so I think the idea is that heart rate is basically a metric of something that happened in the past - whether its 2 minutes or 2 days. So watching the heart rate during activity isn't as important as looking at it after and as a predicter for the future. Yeah I'll never look at it during activity.

I will report back!

2022-11-28 9:16 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

• Balega run socks

I think my first pair of Balega socks had a lifetime warranty.  I got them in 14 years ago and they have had holes worn in the toes for years and are now starting to wear holes in the heels too.  So, no they don't last forever even if they have a lifetime warranty.  I got a couple pair on a discount rack a few years ago.  They are the same brand but not the same socks.  The original ones were smart wool.  I thing the ones I found on the discount rack are a cotton poly blend.  They are nice but I am heading over to check out the Balega socks now to see what they have to offer.  

2022-11-28 10:51 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by BlueBoy26...I am heading over to check out the Balega socks now to see what they have to offer.  

I went through the sock drawer to see what Balega socks I had and which ones I like the best. 

1) Smartwool - This is a 14-year old sock that doesn't match any current offering on the Smartwool website. It looks most like the current Run Zero Cushion Pattern Low Ankle Socks

2) Balega - This is another 14-year old sock with that doesn't match any current offerings on the Balega website.  It is not quite a quarter sock but with a cuff that is twice as high as the no show tab socks.  So I will call it an eighth sock.  I has the longitudal kits on the sole, heel and back of heel and a dimpled kit on the top of the foot.  It looks closest to the current Hidden Dry Sock

3) Wright Sock - These are another vintage pair that are 10+ years old.  They are the Running Low Quater Anti Blister Sock and look to have been replaced but the Running II Quater Anti Blister Sock.  These socks are brilliant.  They would be my #1 sock if they were form fitting like the two pair ahead of them.  They are a double layer sock.  They are thin and of a material that feels great on the feet but are like wearing two socks (at the thickness of one).  The inside layer sticks to your foot and the outside layer sticks to your shoe but the layers don't stick to each other so they slide back and forth past each other so you never have any rubbing on your foot.  I have taken these on 40 mile backpacking trips and never even got a hot spot.  They were my go to triathlon sock for years until I got brave enough to go sockless. These don't even have holes in the toes or heel.  These socks are truly amazing. Too bad they fit like a tube sock and not an anatomical sock.

4) Balega - Hidden Comfort No shoe tab.  These are a thicker and less soft material than one on line #2.  I really like these for long training runs but I like the softer thinners socks for racing.

5) Under Armour Heatgear Crew socks - These were another surprise.  They aren't even running socks and aren't a fancy material.  They have the left/right specific sock and form fit really well.  They are pretty heavy and thick socks but I like them.  I even wear them to race in on cold days because they are safety yellow and match my Cheetah  arm warmers.  :-)

6) Feeture - Ultra Light Cushion socks.  These were a disappointment.  I paid full price for them because the shoe salesman said that getting the right/left Anatomical socks would be a game changer.  The Ultra Light cushions I got for races and the Light cushioning for training.  The material didn't stay soft.  After about the first use the material lost its flexibility, stretchability, and softness.  They just weren't what I was hoping for.

7) Feeture - Light Cushion Socks.  Same as #6 but not as light of material so less pliable after the initial use.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-11-28 10:53 PM
2022-11-29 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Have you been following the 2023 Ironman World Championship rumors? It sound like there are *strong* rumors that the men's WC will be in Nice and the women's in Kona.  But they've been giving qualifying slots to the WC and specifically saying that it's in Kona. Some people are kinda upset!

2022-11-29 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Have you been following the 2023 Ironman World Championship rumors? It sound like there are *strong* rumors that the men's WC will be in Nice and the women's in Kona.  But they've been giving qualifying slots to the WC and specifically saying that it's in Kona. Some people are kinda upset!

I have not been following  - slowtwitch? I wouldn't put it past IM to pull a switcharoo!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27215 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93