BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-12-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Yes, definitely, if I did decide to attempt a KQ I would definitely try to do it in a year I could go to Kona!

2022-12-03 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Hi All I have been slacking on reading the group forum due to travel, work, life, etc. 1. Congrats on IMAZ Randee! I did that race x 2 way back in the day. I love Tempe! 2. IM Championships -> change sucks. I was fortunate enough to be a spectator for my husband who did it back in 2007. Kona is a quaint town. I cannot imagine how busy it must have felt this year with all the racers. It's too bad they are splitting the men and women and putting the races in two different locations. Lots of men/women train together and if you qualify, even if your race is on a different day it's fun to cheer each other on. Seems like now if you have any 'hopes' of qualifying and really want to do the race when it's in Kona you will have to strategically plan what year you do a qualifying IM. Most of us AG-ers don't have Kona on our radar but I am just thinking for those who do. I wonder if IM will see a decrease in registration? 3. Cycle NC event in Lake Lure -> when is this taking place? I might be interested! 4. Nothing big planned for me this weekend however I am OW swimming today. It's going to feel chilly! Leanne

It's the weekend of 8/5.  If I didn't have call the month of August I'd more than likely do it. 

2022-12-03 9:55 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Hi All I have been slacking on reading the group forum due to travel, work, life, etc. 1. Congrats on IMAZ Randee! I did that race x 2 way back in the day. I love Tempe! 2. IM Championships -> change sucks. I was fortunate enough to be a spectator for my husband who did it back in 2007. Kona is a quaint town. I cannot imagine how busy it must have felt this year with all the racers. It's too bad they are splitting the men and women and putting the races in two different locations. Lots of men/women train together and if you qualify, even if your race is on a different day it's fun to cheer each other on. Seems like now if you have any 'hopes' of qualifying and really want to do the race when it's in Kona you will have to strategically plan what year you do a qualifying IM. Most of us AG-ers don't have Kona on our radar but I am just thinking for those who do. I wonder if IM will see a decrease in registration? 3. Cycle NC event in Lake Lure -> when is this taking place? I might be interested! 4. Nothing big planned for me this weekend however I am OW swimming today. It's going to feel chilly! Leanne

It's the weekend of 8/5.  If I didn't have call the month of August I'd more than likely do it. 

There's always retirement 

Additional CNC Mountain Ride info: https://ncsports.org/event/cyclenc_mountain_ride/

2022-12-04 4:34 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Originally posted by jmkizer

Additional CNC Mountain Ride info: https://ncsports.org/event/cyclenc_mountain_ride/

This looks fun! I have so much on my schedule I wish I could do it all. I pencilling this in though. I need mountain training.

I got my wahoo core Kickr set up. I guess the best starting point would be to do a fit test?
2022-12-04 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001

This looks fun! I have so much on my schedule I wish I could do it all. I pencilling this in though. I need mountain training. I got my wahoo core Kickr set up. I guess the best starting point would be to do a fit test?

That is what they tell you to do, but I hate them and since Zwift and Trainer Road both do automatic FTP updates based on workouts you do (I'm sure there is a more accurate description ) I just plugged in what I believe to be my FTP when I just set up a new Trainer Road account. Janyne is really good at doing FTP tests on regular intervals , so you should probably take advice from her and not me!

2022-12-05 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

This looks fun! I have so much on my schedule I wish I could do it all. I pencilling this in though. I need mountain training. I got my wahoo core Kickr set up. I guess the best starting point would be to do a fit test?

That is what they tell you to do, but I hate them and since Zwift and Trainer Road both do automatic FTP updates based on workouts you do (I'm sure there is a more accurate description ) I just plugged in what I believe to be my FTP when I just set up a new Trainer Road account. Janyne is really good at doing FTP tests on regular intervals , so you should probably take advice from her and not me!

Lies!  I do short Zwift races and *call them* FTP tests.  I do a lot better when chasing someone/being chased!  Hey, the same is true for run tests -- sign up for a 5k ;-)

2022-12-05 11:05 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by alaskatri

Racing Manatees!!!

December 3-4
Several 5k runners out there this weekend!

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Still in recovery from this respiratory infection. I highly recommend not getting it if you can avoid.

I hope you recover and feel better soon.  Being sick sucks.

2022-12-08 6:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Lies!  I do short Zwift races and *call them* FTP tests.  I do a lot better when chasing someone/being chased!  Hey, the same is true for run tests -- sign up for a 5k ;-)

I ended up doing a FTP and then signed up the FTP training plan. It had me do a ramp up test today which just confirmed my average power was 151. I have no clue if that is good or bad or what my goal needs to be. I need to do some online research about power. I will find a short race though and see how that compares to the tests! Great suggestion!
2022-12-08 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I ended up doing a FTP and then signed up the FTP training plan. It had me do a ramp up test today which just confirmed my average power was 151. I have no clue if that is good or bad or what my goal needs to be. I need to do some online research about power. I will find a short race though and see how that compares to the tests! Great suggestion!

Your watts/kilogram is probably more important that your raw FTP.  In other words 151 is great for someone who weighs 55kg but not so great for someone who weights 85kg. 

In Zwift, you'll notice that if an event says they will average 2.2 w/kg but that is based on the ride leader. Smaller riders often have to push harder to stay with the group.  You'd like 2.2 w/kg would be lightweights get a bit of a "penalty."

2022-12-08 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Your watts/kilogram is probably more important that your raw FTP.  In other words 151 is great for someone who weighs 55kg but not so great for someone who weights 85kg. 

In Zwift, you'll notice that if an event says they will average 2.2 w/kg but that is based on the ride leader. Smaller riders often have to push harder to stay with the group.  You'd like 2.2 w/kg would be lightweights get a bit of a "penalty."

ooh, math early in the morning! Very often when I've done group rides I'm left at the BOP wondering how the heck the yellow beacon got so far ahead of me so quickly. 

2022-12-08 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

ooh, math early in the morning! Very often when I've done group rides I'm left at the BOP wondering how the heck the yellow beacon got so far ahead of me so quickly. 

Yeah, even if you are in the "correct" group, once you lose the draft, they are GONE! 

2022-12-08 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Haha that is the story of my life..."Smaller riders have to push harder to stay with the group." I am about 54 kg and (last time I was in good bike shape) my FTP is about 200 watts. But when I ride with other people (basically, anyone who outweighs me, which is probably 100% of guys and 90% of women!), I am the one struggling to keep up. Unless it's really hilly. Then I'm good....as long as we're going uphill. Life is not fair!
2022-12-08 8:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Haha that is the story of my life..."Smaller riders have to push harder to stay with the group." I am about 54 kg and (last time I was in good bike shape) my FTP is about 200 watts. But when I ride with other people (basically, anyone who outweighs me, which is probably 100% of guys and 90% of women!), I am the one struggling to keep up. Unless it's really hilly. Then I'm good....as long as we're going uphill. Life is not fair!

For better or worse, Zwift replicates that experience.

2022-12-08 10:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

They should have KQ slots and IM-Worlds slots at all the races for the roll downs.  They could probably give out something like 2 KQ slots and 3 IM-World slots in AG's at the big races.  Sure if you get 3rd in your AG and you wanted to do Kona but the top two guys both take Kona slots you would feel like IM-Worlds is a consolation race.  However, If people are already feeling that way, then it at least gets people back to trying to KQ at every race instead of taking a bye year.  Some people might being trying to KQ and to IM-Worlds Qualify so they may be trying to get a second qualifying slot after they get that KQ (meaning that guy that finishes 3rd still has a chance at a KQ).  If the IM-World slots were rolling down to 11th place AG finishers that would be pretty telling of how people feel about this but I know of people who have got IM-Worlds 70.3 slots with those type of roll downs from USA races on years when the IM-Worlds races are overseas.  I am guessing non-Kona IM-Worlds races would have similar interest.  Location defiantly plays into this.  When IM-70.3 Worlds are in the USA, you can't get a slot in roll-down at a 70.3 race in the USA if you finish 8th in your AG.   

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-12-08 10:36 AM
2022-12-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

They should have KQ slots and IM-Worlds slots at all the races for the roll downs.  They could probably give out something like 2 KQ slots and 3 IM-World slots in AG's at the big races.  Sure if you get 3rd in your AG and you wanted to do Kona but the top two guys both take Kona slots you would feel like IM-Worlds is a consolation race.  However, If people are already feeling that way, then it at least gets people back to trying to KQ at every race instead of taking a bye year.  Some people might being trying to KQ and to IM-Worlds Qualify so they may be trying to get a second qualifying slot after they get that KQ (meaning that guy that finishes 3rd still has a chance at a KQ).  If the IM-World slots were rolling down to 11th place AG finishers that would be pretty telling of how people feel about this but I know of people who have got IM-Worlds 70.3 slots with those type of roll downs from USA races on years when the IM-Worlds races are overseas.  I am guessing non-Kona IM-Worlds races would have similar interest.  Location defiantly plays into this.  When IM-70.3 Worlds are in the USA, you can't get a slot in roll-down at a 70.3 race in the USA if you finish 8th in your AG.   

Are you proposing that Kona be primarily an age group race like Lake Placid or Chattanooga or Arizona? 

2022-12-08 2:22 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Are you proposing that Kona be primarily an age group race like Lake Placid or Chattanooga or Arizona? 

I haven't done a IM race since 2018 so I am not really trying to propose anything, but I thought all races were AG races unless you are competing in the Elite Category. 

When I have gone to IM races I am not concerned about the my 203rd overall finish or my 152nd gender finish.  All I am looking at is my 20th AG finish. 

Since I have been in the sport the Kona Slots have all be done by age group.  They allocate a certain number of slots for an event, say 50 slots, and they distributed them over the AG groups based on how many people are in the AG.  If there are 200 in the M20-24 AG in a field of 2000 athletes then they have 10% of the participants and would get 10% of the slots, so 5 people would punch their ticket to Kona.  If there are 80 people in an AG then there would be 2 people that get Kona Slots, etc.  Every AG gets at least one slot so if there are fewer than 40 people in an age, or if rounding the numbers doesn't work out, then the number if slots in some age groups go down. 

I am just saying that instead of giving 5 slots to the AG with 200 people to Kona on year and then 5 slots to IM-Worlds the next they could give 2 Kona Slots and 3 IM-World slots and let the athletes choose which one slot they want during the roll down ceremony.  That way you could KQ for 2024 in 2023 and have more time to prepare for the race rather than taking up pickle ball in 2023 and then coming back to getting your KQ in 2024.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-12-08 2:30 PM

2022-12-08 2:39 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I haven't done a IM race since 2018 so I am not really trying to propose anything, but I thought all races were AG races unless you are competing in the Elite Category. 

When I have gone to IM races I am not concerned about the my 203rd overall finish or my 152nd gender finish.  All I am looking at is my 20th AG finish. 

Since I have been in the sport the Kona Slots have all be done by age group.  They allocate a certain number of slots for an event, say 50 slots, and they distributed them over the AG groups based on how many people are in the AG.  If there are 200 in the M20-24 AG in a field of 2000 athletes then they have 10% of the participants and would get 10% of the slots, so 5 people would punch their ticket to Kona.  If there are 80 people in an AG then there would be 2 people that get Kona Slots, etc.  Every AG gets at least one slot so if there are fewer than 40 people in an age, or if rounding the numbers doesn't work out, then the number if slots in some age groups go down. 

I am just saying that instead of giving 5 slots to the AG with 200 people to Kona on year and then 5 slots to IM-Worlds the next they could give 2 Kona Slots and 3 IM-World slots and let the athletes choose which one slot they want during the roll down ceremony.  That way you could KQ for 2024 in 2023 and have more time to prepare for the race rather than taking up pickle ball in 2023 and then coming back to getting your KQ in 2024.

I'm not sure what problem that you are solving by separating out WC slots from Kona entries or entries into any other popular race site.  IT seems to me that this  would only dilute the championship race. 

To me, the issue with a championship with two sites is that the vendor/convention/party/show is not likely to occur twice.  Kinda like my birthday being on Christmas.  Only one is a big event, the other is ho-hum.

2022-12-09 4:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I am small (47kg). I found yesterday in order to get my goal watts on the screen sometime my cadence had to be really high?
2022-12-09 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am small (47kg). I found yesterday in order to get my goal watts on the screen sometime my cadence had to be really high?

Leanne, you should be able to switch to a harder gear as well.

With a smart trainer, it has two modes, erg mode where it sets the target resistance and you just need to worry about pedaling. This can be good for structured workouts.  In erg mode, you don't shift. Well, you could but the resistance would be the same so there is no point.  

The other mode is "sim" mode where the software simulates the terrain so going uphill is harder and downhill is easier.  In sim mode, you shift just like you would if you were outside.  Group rides are in sim mode.

2022-12-09 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Leanne - Kiawah Island half marathon

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

2022-12-09 10:05 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I'm not sure what problem that you are solving by separating out WC slots from Kona entries or entries into any other popular race site.  IT seems to me that this  would only dilute the championship race. 

To me, the issue with a championship with two sites is that the vendor/convention/party/show is not likely to occur twice.  Kinda like my birthday being on Christmas.  Only one is a big event, the other is ho-hum.

It is pretty clear that the Championship race has already been diluted. Location brings more interest to a race than a championship does.  Just look at the IM 70.3 events.  When the IM-70.3 World Championship races are in the USA you can't get a qualifying spot at a North American half iron races if you don't finish in the top 2-3 places.  When the World Championship is on the other side of the globe you can get a slot to the championship much lower in the roll down.  A guy in my office went to the IM 70.3 championship in South Africa with a slot he got on roll down from something like a 9th place AG finish. 

A Full Ironman Championship is NOT going to exceed the Half Iron Championships in interest.  We are going to start seeing people that finish 9th in their AG securing slots to these Full Ironman Championships because the location is going to reduce the interest.  The Full Ironman Championships at alternative locations are a diluted event compared to what the Kona Championships are.   

I think that the diluted championships could ripple effect down to a diluting of all the qualifying Full IM events too.  For years, IM has been artificially generating interest and demand at some races by giving them additional Kona qualifying slots.  The IM Texas in the Woodlands a few years ago (2018? Year?) was given double Kona slots. I think everyone in the country who had been just out of a KQ must have gone to that race that year. A guy I ran with every week for 2-1/2 years when I was living in Oklahoma was one of them and he got 23rd in the M40-44AG with a time of 9hr 18mins.  I don't know what his top AG finish was at other IM races but know that he did the Half IM worlds in Las Vegas before I got into the sport (pre 2015) and I am guessing that 23rd was the worst AG finish he had ever seen in a full Ironman despite it being a PR for him that day.  So...if more Kona Slots means more competition, zero Kona slots could really trickle down to less competition and less interest in the Full IM races.    

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-12-09 10:09 AM

2022-12-09 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Run Leanne run!

2022-12-12 6:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Run Leanne run!

Kiawah Island Half went well this weekend! No set plan or goal. Ran with my best friend who was shooting for close to 1:30. We ran close to that and placed 4th and 5th in overall masters.

Our one friend was shooting for the South Carolina female 45-49 half marathon record...she did it! 1:23:45! WOW!
2022-12-12 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Run Leanne run!

Kiawah Island Half went well this weekend! No set plan or goal. Ran with my best friend who was shooting for close to 1:30. We ran close to that and placed 4th and 5th in overall masters. Our one friend was shooting for the South Carolina female 45-49 half marathon record...she did it! 1:23:45! WOW!

Damn, a trio of fasties!! Congrats to you all!

2022-12-12 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Run Leanne run!

Kiawah Island Half went well this weekend! No set plan or goal. Ran with my best friend who was shooting for close to 1:30. We ran close to that and placed 4th and 5th in overall masters. Our one friend was shooting for the South Carolina female 45-49 half marathon record...she did it! 1:23:45! WOW!

Smokin' fast!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27156 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93