General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Spotsylvania, Virginia
United States
Set-Up, Inc
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 46m 19s
Overall Rank = 16/68
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

We got to Lake Anna around 4PM on Friday. We were lucky enough to get a Cabin on the Lake. We checked in, looked around and then went to packet pickup. After the pick-up Nikki and I rode our bikes around the course until Jean arrived and then we got ready for dinner. We ended up at a pretty greasy place and ate as healthy as a dinner that we could find. Then it was back to the Cabin to get organized for the next day. I went to bed at 9 and tried to sleep but the cabin walls were pretty thin. I probably fell asleep around 10 and was up again at 3:30 when my clock radio went off (not on purpose :( ). Then I was able to fall back asleep until 5:45 until it was time to get back up. Made a PBJ sandwich and got the car packed for the day.
Event warmup:

Hmmm... Like usual - pretty much nothing. I spent too much time talking and not enough time making sure I properly set-up all of my things for the race.

We did head down to the water with about 20 minutes to the start and I was about to get in the water when I realized that my goggles were just about to break. The rubber between the eye sockets was half cut already and just about to break. Luckily I have swedish goggles with extra strap after the knot to break off and put between the eye sockets. I felt like McGyver fixing my stuff with my teeth. It was a little nerve racking.

After they were fixed I got in the water and sat in it. It didn't feel that bad - but I really should have put my face in the water.
Swim
  • 24m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't remember the first 30 seconds of this swim. I was trying to think back about how cold the water was but I don't even remember being in the water. Hmmm. I do remember rounding the first buoy and how my face hurt so bad. I did not get in any comfortable rhythm during the entire swim. I just felt so uncomfortable. The neoprene cap was bothering my neck, I dont really like long sleeve wetsuits (I prefer my sleeveless SO MUCH MORE), and my goggles were not working very well. I didn't draft I just swam over people because I couldn't see where I was going. Luckily I can fix all of these things :)

Good points: I actually sighted really well or I was really lucky. Until I swam into the last buoy and wrapped my arm around the buoy tether. That sorta hurt :)
What would you do differently?:

1. Buy new googles. I love my swedes for training, but the field of vision stinks and they fog. I can still train half the time in my swedes but a good pair of OWS goggles are needed. People always tell me that they saw me during the swim. All I see is arms legs and bodies, nothing specific.
2. Practice more with the long sleeve wetsuit and wear it only when it is really cold. I love my cheap sleeveless suit. I am so much more comfortable and my stroke is much more fluid.
3. Put my face in the water before the start.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Suprisingly fast transition considering my hands and feet were frozen. I did forget that it is easier to get the wetsuit top off first and then the cap in goggles because they got stuck in my arm. 15/68 and 2/12 in my AG (and the first girl did the duathlon).

Not sure - I was pretty fast comparatively. Some were in T1 for 7 minutes and up to 11 minutes.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 7s
  • 55 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I did a good job clipping into my bike and thought about a quick drink from my aero bottle when it quickly hit that I had forgotten to fill it with water. Oh no. Well I can't really turn around at this point - and I know I just have to go 20 miles to the first water stop. Luckily I hit the last water stop before the end of the park (a run aid station that just happened to be manned) and I poured 3 tiny cups of water into my bottle. Then I kept going.
I felt really good and strong for the first half of the first loop. I was moving along at a nice clip - my avg speed was around 19 for the first 20 miles (but it is net downhill). On one road we had lots of trouble with traffic. I had to slow down several times because cars were blocking the riders. I did get passed my Mayor Fenty at around mile 12 and we chatted a bit. Really nice guy. Though he had a problem riding in the middle of the road.

I was really glad to get to mile 20. Because this meant I got water! And I could start my nutrition. My only liquid on my bike was my ~800 calorie IM cocktail of Sustained Energy and hammer gels. But I need water to drink the mix so I couldn't start until now. This would probably come to haunt me later. I had only had one PBJ sandwich and a quick swig of gel before the race and then went 90+ minutes without any calories.

I didn't really like the rest of the first loop. It was more uphill and the road was really bumpy. I was glad to finish the first loop but now the negative thoughts started. I didn't want to be riding. I was tired of riding my bike. I wanted to go home. I never wanted to do another triathlon. I was thinking of quitting at the end of the bike. I was thinking of ways to get out of LP without looking like a quitter. WHAT THE HELL????? This is so outside of my personality. I wonder if its possible to have a mental bonk? Then right as the thoughts started my friend Jean came SPEEDING by with the biggest smile on her face cheering me on. This made me feel worse. I was hating life. I kept going with less than motivating thoughts in my head but I was determined to at least finish the bike.

My HR was WAY to high for the first loop (160s-170s hills) but settled a bit for the second un-motivated loop (140s-150s). I probably should have kept the second loop avg hr for a better paced ride.

With about 5 miles to go I dropped my chain. This is the first time ever I had to get off my bike and fix my bike. It took me a few minutes to get it back on because I kept getting my fingers caught in between the chain and the ring. I just wasn't thinking.

When I finished the ride I was so glad to be off the bike. My legs felt great - my mind was all messed up.

Bring water. Start nutrition earlier. I have NO CLUE why my head was so screwed up. Probably something to do with trying to hard and putting too high of an expectation on this ride.

I have ridden so much more than last year before my first half (An A race on a much flatter course). I know I have a better bike split in me, I just need to execute better!
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Took my time again in T2. I had a bottle with accelerade in it ready to carry on the run but I wanted nothing of it, but a quick sip so I left it in transition. I also chugged a big amount of water. Already had socks on from T1 so I just threw the shoes on and off I went. I wore the same shoes that I had 7 blisters on 2 weeks ago (I forgot my socks and ran 9 miles without) so I was a little worried about having some problems later on. Nikki was in YELLING at me which was awesome. I needed a friend then.

Hmm Nothing. 20/68. 5/12.

Run
  • 2h 16m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started uphill out of transtion and away from the lake. I walked most of this hill. Nikki and I chatted for awhile.
Miles 1-2: I was in "Just finish" mode. I had to go to the bathroom BAD. They didnt have portapotties next to transition. I shuffled along and walked the first two aid stations. I decided early that I was going to at least walk the aid stations and the hills. Around mile 1.5 I got to an empty portapotty and took a break there. Then I started running again. I am guessing that I was holding around 10:30 pace for these two miles.

Miles 3-4: I started getting stomach cramps at this point. I was doing ok with nutrition. Water at every aid station and cytomax at every other aid station where I would grab a hammer gel. I put the hammer gel in my pocket so that I would eat it right before the next aid station so I could wash it down with water. I still had stomach cramps and tried to twist my stomach to get rid of them. Probably around 10:15 pace.

Miles 4-10: Something weird happened because I started feeling better and running faster! I think I started holding around 9 min pace for these 6 miles or so. I started passing people that had already passed me. My legs felt really fresh and I felt great! I was so hoping I would feel this way through the end of the race! I was still run/walking. But the running was alot faster. Mile 9 was downhill and then uphill and it started to end.
Miles 11-12 These were SLOW. Probably around 12+ min pace. I really bonked. The overexertion in the bike caught up to me. I only had 3 miles to go!! If I could have held the 9 min pace a little longer - oh well. I kept thinking - 2 miles is SO short you can do this.
Mile 13: I still hurt but I picked it up for the finish. I was so glad to be done!

Probably not much. I think I had a strong run. If I didn't bonk I am pretty sure I could have at least run sub 2:10. And I have it in me to run ~ 2:00. I need to run some open-half marathons to get used to the distance. This was my second half IM and my second half marathon.

No blisters- no hot spots just a little sunburn.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice bath in 53 degree water with Jason.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Execution, pacing, and execution. The training is in me (well except maybe for the swim), but I need to get my mental game together.

Its good to have a sub-par performance every once in awhile because you learn alot from it!

Event comments:

I left out in my report how great it was to see people I knew on the course. Seeing Jason, probably my number 1 training partner because we have been riding together since last summer, was great. And having Nikki as a spectator was awesome as well. Other friends Bill, Ernie and Jean were great as well! And I got to meet Brad and Kristin on the course!

It was a good course but the post race food stinks. Chex mix fruit and oreos are not what I wanted. And Red beans and rice made me want to puke. And the one aid station that I asked for endurolytes said they didn't know what they were even though they were posted as on the site. It was a well run event and I enjoyed the course.

Last updated: 2007-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 12/68
Performance: Below average
HR was high - avg HR 156. Max 171 (probably when I was running up the hill to transition). I need to keep my avg HR under 155 around 150 for a half and 145 for a full IM
Suit: 2XU Comp 1
Course: 2 loops of 750m including a short 15 yard jog between loops
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:00:07 | 55 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 15/68
Performance: Bad
Didn't stop my HRM again, but my avg HR for the rest of the race was 160 and my max was 176. Avg speed overall: 18.3 Avg speed first 20 miles: 18.9 Avg speed first loop: 18.7 Avg speed second loop: 17.9
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling and not really that fast.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:41 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 28/68
Performance: Good
Avg HR 160.
Course: Rolling with 2 loops. 4 uphills and 4 downhill sections
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-24 9:36 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half

2007-04-24 9:50 AM
in reply to: #774289

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half
You aren't a quitter, even if you thought you were on the bike.  You stuck it out and that shows a lot about you as a triathlete.  And you just did a HIM, in April, in Virginia.  Most of your training was in the dark and in the cold.  So chin up!  If nothing else, just think about your sweet bike.  That's what always makes me feel better.  GREAT JOB!
2007-04-24 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Hey, great job! that's a blazing swim in some frigid water especially since you thot you had some difficulties w/ it. Excellent overall race! I see nothing "subpar" about it . It's early that's all, you're off to a great start.

p.s. fix your overall time (you entered the race start time not your overall time (i've done the same thing)

Edited by rollinbones 2007-04-24 9:54 AM
2007-04-24 9:54 AM
in reply to: #774330

User image

Elite
Reston VA
rollinbones - 2007-04-24 10:50 AM

Hey, great job! that's a blazing swim in some frigid water especially since you thot you had some difficulties w/ it.  Excellent overall race!

p.s. fix your overall time (you entered the race start time not your overall time (i've done the same thing

Thanks! Its fixed. 5:46:19

2007-04-24 9:56 AM

User image

Pro
Reston
Yeah, and I forgot to say that I think it's funny that you were just barrelling over top of people during the swim.  It makes me laugh everytime I think about it.  Crazy lady with the foggy goggles just rolling people like it's nobody's business.  Haha!
2007-04-24 10:54 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I guess I agree that you let your head play games with you.  Because your race results themselves look pretty good.  Especially with a tough cold water swim (which you still did great in despite barely swimming at all this year) and no nutrition for half the bike ride (hopefully that's a mental mistake you'll avoid in the future ).

It was an early season, half-iron, B-race.  Looks to me that it went pretty well all considered and you learned a lot too.  That should help you down the line.  I'm sure that sticking it out when you felt like cr@p will help you in July.

Nice job!

2007-04-24 11:23 AM

Veteran
I think you had a great race - your swim is inspiring! And I'll be the first one to tell you that mental bonking is REAL and all you want to do is go back to sitting in front of the TV eating bon bons or something. You handled it perfectly - and ended up finishing strong! I would suspect that forgetting the water on the bike planted that tiny seed of frustration for the ride that slowly annoyed you more and more. Glad you worked through it. The season has officially BEGUN!
~Joe
2007-04-24 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Ditto what everyone has said above.  I think you're going to be able to look back on this race and draw on the experience of pulling through a really tough time mentally.  The going will certainly get tough at some point in future races and you'll know that you can deal with it.  You got all the mistakes out on the "C" race.  Now it's time to rock on the important ones!  Way to stick with it and pull through!
2007-04-24 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

This race is going to set the stage for great things for you this year! It was nice to read how you overcame the nutrition and mental bonking problems and came on strong during the run.

I was swimming like crazy because I knew you were somewhere behind me and were going to plow me over!

Great race and race report!

2007-04-24 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Wow - great race and with no nutrition on the bike no less.  You are a brave, brave soul for swimming - that is huge points in my book as I totally chickened out and chose the Du option.  Congrats on getting through a tough early season race.
2007-04-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: #774838

Champion
South Jersey
Nice race! You did great pushing through the nutrition issues and mental block on the bike. You have such a good attitude about learning from the experience, and I know you're going to do AWESOME in LP. Good luck with the rest of your season.

2007-04-27 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great job! it was great to meet you. you totally kicked my a$$ in the swim and bike, and i think the nutrition hurt your run. not eating to start the bike will catch up with you. i would guess it was the problem mentally as well. i find that my mind always bonks before my body. as soon as you aren't having fun, you need to figure out if something is wrong (calories, salt, hydration, etc.).

keep up the great work. it looks like you have some awesome races ahead of you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed