General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 28s
Overall Rank = 510/650
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/53
Pre-race routine:

The cottage we were staying was ~1.5 miles from the transition area. We got our gears (except the bike) and drove Kathy's car to race site to set up, drove back to cottage and relax, had breakfast etc. Then rode our bikes back to race site.

Oh.. and I took Alarvert (for allergies) the night before - to avoid taking meds at race morning, but did take a puff of albuterol. Didn't drink quite enough water so I forced myself to drank some of the Perpeteum mix thing I got as a sample package. That thing tasted HORRIBLE. Prefer Gatorade. The Endurolite mix wasn't too bad.
Event warmup:

Rode to race site
Got in wetsuit and stayed in the water for 15 min and swam a bit before swim start to get use to the water temp.
Swim
  • 33m 22s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim came back to me. I was in the 4th wave. I was pushed to the front at the start and I wasn't that fast. Many people swam over me to pass. Didn't bother me. I am good at regaining my breathe rhythm under the water. I knew that and didn't panic. Concentrated on rotating my body and occassionally add some kicks. Swam off course a little and quickly corrected it. Between the 2nd and 3rd bouys the pack spreaded out. Saw a green cap (2nd wave) guy hung on to dear life by the kayak. Rounding the bouys nicely closely beside my left shoulder. After the turn around, saw a couple silver caps (3rd wave) and a green cap (not sure if it was the same person who hung onto the kayak). Then all of a sudden the purple caps (5th wave) started apearing. Mind my own business and swam at my own pace. One of the silver cap was right beside me most of the time. We were about the same pace. Tried to draft off him but he seemed to be always parallel to me. Saw some blue caps (6th wave) and started to freak out. From my Cranberry experience, I continue to mind my own business and did not let the cap colors distract me. Finished not feeling tired, not grasping for breath, no wheezing.
What would you do differently?:

May be pushed a bit harder? I'd like to finish within 30 min.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

We had wetsuit strippers! I had no problem unzipping but the sleeves usually get stuck on my wrists. Great to have some help. Ran with wetsuit half off. Washed feet in my tub of water, shaked dry and put on socks/bike shoes. Left calf cramped up a little when putting on socks - probably due to not hydrating enough in the morning. Streched out and went away. Put on helmet. Was overcast but decided to wear sunglasses anyway, to prevent the wind/things got blown into eyes (good idea). Drank more of that horrible Perpeteum. Put on race belt with BIB on the back. Did not wear bike gloves as per KathyG's advice - more on that later. ;) ;) :)

Drink something else. Whatever. NOT that vanilla flavored perpetrum.
Bike
  • 1h 41m 6s
  • 27 miles
  • 16.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Monentum is my friend. Sun came out and sunglasses was useful.

Ran out to mount area and saw a guy in black shirt haning onto a pair of crutches. "JORGE!!" I yelled. Amiine cheered me back. Was too excited to see him there that it took me 3 tries to clip in my left foot.

Mile 1: Cops directing traffic and told us to STOP so that a fire truck can pass. We slowed down but not to a stop, then started up again.
Mile 2: Gentle ups and downs.
Mile 2.5: BT aid station!!! Marmadaddy (plus "ma"), TAGP, Huskyboy, Ontherun, Dexter and a few more BTers were there. I pumped my right fist yelling over to them. Then I realized I was *capable* of steering stably with one hand! Wow. This encouraged me to drink more and ate jelly beans and stuffs on the bike.
Mile 4.5: steep hill that requires the granny gear. But not the Devil Hill. Not Yet. Slight side pain and reminded myself to keep drinking.
Mile 5: steep down hill. Did not touch the break, as I know momentum is my friend. I needed momentum.
Mile 5.5: The start of the 0.5 mile climb. At some point it was ~17% incline. Saw the red Devil lady danicing around. Cursed under my breath. :p Started dropping gear when momentum was wearing away. Saw 50% of the people walking their bikes. "I AM NOT WALKING" I told myself. Bike computer showed my speed at 4.5 mph. Slower than that I'd fall (more on that later).
Mile 6: Lots of down hill.
Miles 7-10: uneventfully flat.
Miles 10-12: rolling ups and down, some steeper than the others, relatively short. Still cursing at the hills.
Mile 13-15: down hill. Not steep but good enough to rest up my legs. Then an up hill hit again.
Mile 16: still going up hill, on a wide road. What's that by the right hand sidet? Another BT aid station? Ron didn't mention that. The first guy I saw wearing a BT t-shirt was our own CptnJackSparrow! And some of the CT gang whom I didn't see clearly. Didn't expect them to be there. "ROB!!!" I yelled. Their cheers lifted my spirit.
Mile 17-19: More up hills.
Mile 19: Still freaking uphills. Then slow down for a 90 degree right turn. And, you got it, more uphill. Going at some 7 mph at that time. Had to drop to the granny gear again. Shifted. Why so slow? Am I even moving? What's that sound? Oh... the chain dropped and my bike had come to a complete stop. Fell on my right. Scratched my knee, hit on my right hip and hit hard on my right palm. Palm swelled and scratched. Why scratched? Coz I didn't wear gloves (refer to T1 ;) ;)). Shit! Other bikers freaked and asked if I was ok. "Yeah, I guess" I replied. Hurt but I could still go on. Put the chain back on and finished climbing that "little" hill.
Mile 19.5: down hill. Phew! Put on my big chain ring and try to get the monentum.
Mile 20: Damn steep up hill again. How many are there? I was getting tired and started to lose patience. Down-shifted and had to get lower to the mid chain ring. No respose. Pushed on the shifter again. Chain still stuck on the big ring. WTF?? Speed quickly dropped to 4.5 mph. If drop lower, I would fall again. I gotta keep moving. It was so hard to push on an up hill on the big chain ring. At every down stroke on my right leg I tried to unclip but wasn't successful. Swirled left and right to maintain balance and said out load "Not again!". I meant I wasn't going to fall again. The girl who passed me said "yeah, it's uphill again". Managed to get to the top almost exploding my quads. It was painful, holding on to the cowhorn so tightly with a bruised palm and pushing hard while my knee was bleeding. Made it without falling.
Mile 20-25: down hills. Finally gear responded, jumping from big rain to small ring, skipping the middle. Up shifted and got chain back to middle ring. Did not touch the front shift again.
Mile 26: Saw Max directing traffic saying "one mile! one mile!". Loosen up and got to dismount line.

Improve bike skill. BIG TIMES.
Don't fall.
Don't drop chain.
Get new chain and chain ring?
Get new bike?
Buy lottery?
Trip to Foxwood? Las Vegas? Day trade?
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Yankz are my friends.
Threw helmet on the ground and put on my favourite Red Sox cap. While running out, adjust race belt so that BIB is faces the front.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 08m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Very difficult run on the soft sand with jelly legs. Managed not to fall into the water.
Mile 1: strong. Surprised to clocked < 10 min. Took water at aid station and poured on scratched knee. Drank gatorade.
Mile 2: slowed down a bit due to slight side pain. The scratch on my knee was burning. Washed with more water.
Mile 2.5: Uphill to BT aid station again (same course as bike). Told them I fell off my bike, and got more water/gatorade. but had to show them I was still running strong.
Mile 3: freaking hills. Slowed waaaaayyyy down. More drinks.
Mile 4: back to BT station. More water. Lingered at station for a few more seconds. Asked TAGP where the end was.
Mile 5: Cursing again. Got a Carb Boom from another aid station, and more water. That chocolate Carb Boom tasted better than that Perpeteum thing. Felt thirsty. Told myself to hold up for another 15 min before passing out. Imitated Max's voice saying to myself "one mile! one mile!"
Mile 6 to fisish: heard music. Picked up cadence, not to "look strong" but hoping to get it over with quickly.
Finishing chute: heard KevinG called my name, did see him though.

Happy with the run. Keep up with the training.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a cool wet towel and a water bottle. Wiped down my bleeding knee. Cool it, and my palm, which was swollen and a bit numb

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fxcking hills

Event comments:

Tough course. Much worse than Cranberry. I prepared well for Cranberry last Aug. Consider Mooseman is the first major event of the season with less than enough (outside) bike rides, I did ok. Only ~15 min more than Cranberry (Moose has ~ a mile longer bike course, too). This is my first time on this course and I don't really have a time goal. My only goal was to make it up Devil Hill and I am happy to be able to do that.

Last updated: 2007-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:22 | 1500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/53
Overall: 423/650
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Stealth Full suit
Course: Triangular course. Started from the right side of the beach, swam to pass 3 bouys to the turn-around big one, then head to the left side of the beach and pass another 3 bouys to the finish. Clear water. Saw (big) fish at the bottom.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:41:06 | 27 miles | 16.02 mile/hr
Overall: 505/650
Wind: Some
Course: One loop around Newfound Lake and neighborhood. Nice scene. Drove the course the night before and had a pretty good idea of what to expect, where the bumpy places were (lots of them) and where there might be sand.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:59 | 06.21 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 566/650
Mile splits = 9:47, 10:33, 11:26, 11:59, 11:46, 12:03 last 0.2 mile = 1:26
Course: Narrow part of the beach (on the sand) from TA to West Shore Road. Along West Shore for 3 miles and looped back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 11:16 PM

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2007-06-04 3:10 AM
in reply to: #827841

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance
SOOOPER Race!!! Huge Congrats on finding yourself in the swim AND making it up that hill... FANTASTIC
2007-06-04 6:43 AM

Champion

Great race, you looked fantastic when you went by me!  Hope the hand is feeling better.  That is definitely a TOUGH bike course!

2007-06-04 7:17 AM

User image

Master
CT
Denise—your race report made me laugh out loud!! You are so right about those f'ing hills. There was no end to them and take comfort in the fact that you are not the only one to tip over trying to get up them. The guy right in front of me on Devil's Hill tipped right over when his gears got jambed. I was glad he did nt take me down with him. I grew to hate the Devil woman

Great race inspite of your mishaps. You are a tough cookie!!
2007-06-04 7:40 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Great race! sorry to distract you at T1 and that slowed you down to clip on your pedals ;-)

It was great to see you and many of te BTers, you guys had a great day for racing

I stay at the Park until like 1pm but then I went home cuz I was tired of hopping around with the crutches!

2007-06-04 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
Awesome job staying with it. Really tough course for so early in the year. Glad the BT folks were there to help with the spirits!

2007-06-04 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT

Nice work out there!!  Moosey IS a tough course - consider it a tune-up for things to come.  Loved your race report!

2007-06-04 8:58 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Great race Denise!  It was great seeing you again this weekend    Hope your hand and knee heal fast!
2007-06-04 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Ouch! Great race!
2007-06-04 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome JOb DK Hope lal the abrasios are healing nicely...thats a tough course and you did fantastic!!!
2007-06-04 12:31 PM
in reply to: #828452

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Great race! I certainly feel your pain going up those hill. That one from mile 17-20 and the rolling country road is a tough one.

2007-06-04 12:47 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Bruises are cool. SO HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!

GOOD JOB!

Vanilla flavored drink sounds awful.

Foxwood sucks. Mohegan Sun much nicer.

2007-06-04 1:04 PM

Pro
Andover
Woo Hoo... Great race, Denise! And friggin' hilarious RR!

Always a pleasure to see you--thanks for yelling out on the bike. Looking forward to next time!!!
2007-06-04 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Way to tough it out!  Sorry about the tumbles on the bike -- derailleur adjustmenets needed, so don't blame it all on yourself.   That is a tough course, too.  I am kinda glad I stayed home though it sucked having back pain for the 2nd Saturday in a row. 

Give yourself a big pat on the back for a nice early-season race. 

2007-06-04 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

You did awesome on this course!  It's way harder than Cranberry, that's for sure! Plus I think its actually 2 miles longer.

Those hills are a bttch!! It seemed to to be more uphill than down.

It was fun to hang out this weekend!

2007-06-04 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Way to stick with it Denise - great job!  Now, get that bike adjusted so you don't get hurt again! 

2007-06-04 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Denise,

Outstanding race report. Besides the chain falling off and hitting pavement...I felt that was my bike report.

You did an outstanding job. I know exactly how tough those hills were on the bike and the heat during the run.

Well done! Take a bow.

It was very nice meeting you! Hope to see you again at some other events.
2007-06-04 4:06 PM

Expert
Man you were rocking on the bike when you passed us.....

in fact this is the only shot i could get off you were blasing..

and in fact you kept hiding yourself....

there are a few more here

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/holland_patrick/2007/Mooseman...
2007-06-04 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Maine

You looked great running by us at the aid station - great job!

Nice to meet you this weekend. Have a great race season!

2007-06-04 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran

I totally saw you on the run!  My mile 5, your mile 1.  I was like, "Deniiiiissssseeeeee!" But you were so in the zone you didn't even hear me. 

Congrats on the great race!  Despite the spill on the bike, you stuck it out.  Good job!

2007-06-04 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hilarious report, DK!  I get the feeling you didn't care for the hills.   

Congrats on being hard core and sticking it out, bleeding and bruised.  Great pics as well; it does look like you're in the witness protection program or something.   :D

2007-06-04 8:18 PM

User image

Pro
MA

heh... those pictures that Bajapat posted WASN'T me.  I don't remember ducking from the camera.  Or maybe I was in pain?  :p 

Here are some more photos of the weekend.  Mostly taken at the HIM on Sunday. 

2007-06-05 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Denise, it was great meeting you. You looked great when you passed the BT aid station!
2007-06-05 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

AWESOME job, DK!  Way to show Devil Hill who's boss!

I'm sorry you had technical difficulties with your bike...that just isn't any fun!  But good job sticking it out to the finish!

2007-06-05 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
way to go!  you had a great race in spite of the bike issues!! You're gonna kick my butt at Cranberry this year
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  

of 2