General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-06-08 3:48 PM
in reply to: #836335

User image

AZ
Subject: RE: Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday
Well, you could float on your back the whole way if you need to. Not that I would know this by experience or anything... I practiced & practiced but freaked in the OWS. So, you *can* do it, it might just take you longer.

I was so freaking nervous before my first race last month. I was in & out of those port-a-johns a few times before the swim. I was shaking from nervousness. So I think that's normal for a lot of people.

2007-06-08 3:59 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
My responce my be a bit different than the others i have seen so if you can swim 20 laps in the pool with out stopping to hold onto the side you will be ok IF you start slow and away from the pack do not get in the middle of a bunch of people start outside and to the back and take it a slow pace with the goal to finish. If you can not swim 20 laps with out stopping I say dont do the TRI.  I looked at your logs and see no training at all last month so I assume you have done none if you are a weak swimmer who has not been training and can not do 20 laps with out stopping start training and pick anouther TRI. 
2007-06-08 4:29 PM
in reply to: #836690

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
Again, I echo Rollin's sentiments. Just the outside chance of a panic attack or something similar from the swim is a big red flag.

Also, did you really mean it when you said this "But I truly fear that open water swim of 1/2 mile". If you really meant it, be VERY CAREFUL about your decision.

I'm guessing there's no wetsuit allowed, which would provide some buoyancy.

As before, good luck,but if it were me i'd bail... too much downside risk. Stay away, race another day.

Hey, Bear, where are you when we need you ?

Let us know.

Edited by tri42 2007-06-08 4:29 PM
2007-06-08 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Judith,
Chances are good that you can do it, however you need to be aware that OWS is a much different animal than pool swimming.  And a Tri swim is really a different animal than OWS.  OWS is swimming in a lake/pond/open body of water.  You may or may not see the bottom of the swim area, that can freak you out. 

A Tri swim with 30-100 of your "closest" buddies and pals, can get pretty crazy.  It is very easy to get kicked, hit, beat up without trying to be.  That in combo with not being able to the bottom of the lake, freaks a lot more people out.

If you can tread water, float or do the back stroke you should be fine.  Just know that taking your time, and relaxing should be enough to make it.  And that sounds like all you really want to do.

Good luck.

2007-06-08 4:49 PM
in reply to: #836758

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
At the very least, pick up your packet.  You don't need to make your final decision until day of and you should at least get the t-shirt or waterbottle   Just make sure to give back the timing chip.  Also, definitely watch if you don't participate. THere's a lot to be learned from watching.
2007-06-08 5:20 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA

Do it. As long as you have a safety stroke to fall back on, this is exactly the kind of tri for newcomers. I'm sure you'll find it much more supportive than some of the comments on this thread.

I did my first 3 OWS's w/o training in the open water. All I could/did do was breaststroke in the pool, for no longer than the distance of the race (400m). I have no swimming background, I totally freaked out in the water, felt like I couldn't breathe, kept my head out of the water most the time, etc. etc. etc. Not only did I finish, but I was far from last. I barely had a lifeguard ask if I was okay, but had I needed them they were right there. I see no way in which you are endangering yourself or anyone else here. It might not be fun, but it's a short part of the race. You'll make it. Come on, I really wanna read your first race report! A kinda sucky swim will be the last thing on your mind when you cross that finish line!

Some practical tips: get in the water beforehand if you can to warm up and quell any fears. Get comfy with your head under the cold water.  Start out in the back/towards the side and don't let the excitement of the race cause you to bust out of the gates too hard. Have a great time on the bike and the run, bask in the glory of your finish, and then go train in the open water before your next race.

Good luck!  

2007-06-08 5:20 PM
in reply to: #836628

User image

Elite
New City, New York

why do people feel the need to put words in my mouth? I said what I meant and meant what I said. I won't state the obvious, but there are more serious ramifications than a DNF.

newLeaf - 2007-06-08 4:24 PM
rollinbones - 2007-06-08 4:17 PM

I do speak from experience and having a panic attack in the water is a very scary thing. I would think being unprepared may lead to just that. If that were the case and was combined with your lack of overall training the ramifications could be serious.  the worst that will happen is that you will DNF.

2007-06-08 5:29 PM
in reply to: #836804

User image

Elite
New City, New York
pescalita - 2007-06-08 6:20 PM

I'm sure you'll find it much more supportive than some of the comments on this thread.

I see no way in which you are endangering yourself or anyone else here.

Being supportive  has nothing to do with it.

That second line is just absurd.

That's it tho, I give up. Some people just don't get it. Never will.

2007-06-08 5:49 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Your swimming volume and frequency to date haven't been great, but there is one thing to consider and that's the race itself. It's a Danskin. These races are known for having exemplary support, particularly in the water. They even have Swim Angels. Swim angels don't provide assistance, but they do provide encouragement and support in the water. Danskin also makes flotation devices available in case their needed ( although this would disqualify you from official standing as a finisher if they're following USAT rules).

For many races, I'd probably go along with rollinbones and say that not starting would be a viable option but given that it's a Danskin I'd advise that you consider giving it a shot.

2007-06-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #836812

User image

Master
Opinions were asked for, opinions were given.

Support has absolutely nothing to do with it. This site is the most supportive site I have ever been to, in my opinion. It has an extreme amount of knowledge and experience.

Making a wise decision about something tri-related means hearing all opinions, not being close-minded.

You know, I really want to do the Grandfather Mountain Marathon in 6 weeks. My longest run is a half mary last week with 1150 ft of climbing. GMM is twice as long and has 3X the climbing. I don't have anywhere close to the base needed for this race. It's ranked in top 10 in USA. I guess I could even be considered a "runner" of sorts, but nothing special. That being said, should I post for everyone's opinion and call those that say I should not do it "unsupportive" ? ...even if I really want to do it ?

Because I think you shouldn't do it, IN MY OPINION, has absolutely nothing to do with support. I "support" the Op'er either way and hope Op'er will report back. This is just part of the whole experience. Poor choice of words.

Marma, you posted as I was typing, so obviously I wasn't responding to to your post, thanks.

Edited by tri42 2007-06-08 5:54 PM
2007-06-08 6:34 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Okay, I didn't mean to get into it. You are as entitled to your opinion as I am. I do agree that this site is extremely supportive, I suppose I should clarify that I meant "supportive of your effort to finish".

2007-06-08 6:41 PM
in reply to: #836858

User image

Master
I actually like "opposing" viewpoints sometimes, because we don't learn a lot when everyone agrees.

Don't want to get in to it either.

2007-06-08 6:42 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas

If I have questions about my ability to run I know I can walk, If I have questions about my ability to ride I know I can push, If I have questions about my ability to swim I don’t swim

2007-06-08 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
As long as you know that you are going into the race for the experience you will do great.  For my first tri I was underprepared in the swim department as well.  I struggle and ended up ob my back and side stroking about 85% of the course at best.  But like me you will make it through.  Then after the swim it will be all downhill from there.  You can do it, and most importantly have fun.
2007-06-08 7:37 PM
in reply to: #836867

User image

Master
CBarnes, exactly. Was going to post that when I run and it doesn't work I WALK. When you swim and it doesn't work, yes you can recover, etc. but your safety margin is much thinner.
2007-06-08 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Do you have a wetsuit? A wetsuit helps alot from a piece of mind standpoint, since it does help you float (you can relax and float if you get tired or panicy) and it help your form. As long as you seed yourself towards the back to stay out of the mosh pit and relax you can make it thru the swim. Then you have a nice long bike and run to track down and pass all those hot shot swimmers. If you don't have a wetsuit just relax, flop over and do the back stroke when you need a break and keep on keep'n on. Relax, breath, glide, repeat.

Some of life's greatest achievements occur when we get in a bit over our heads.

2007-06-08 9:41 PM
in reply to: #836763

User image

You guys/gals are great! Wow, I am amazed at the amount of support I am getting from all of you. I appreciatte everyones honest opion and have to admit that for my next triathlon I will defenitely make sure that I am better prepared.

I am going to follow BikerGrrl's advice and at least go to the event. I am taking my gear prepared with the thought that I might finish this triathlon. I think I will go try out the water before hand to get a feel of what it is like and from there on decide.

Rollinbones, thanks for the honest words. I can see that you have a great passion for the sport and I think it is a great quality. Being a part of a triathlon has always been a goal in my life. I started training for an olympic and had to stop training due to the fact that 'life does happen' sometimes. I am hoping that I might be able to do this sprint since I am hearing from all others how much they help you at The Danskin to cross the finish line.

I will post again on Monday to let you all know what my experience was either as a spectator or who knows...perhaps an athlete.

Regards,
2007-06-09 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Gogga,

It's a tough call.  From what I hear, Danskin takes extra efforts to make first-time triathletes comfortable and successful.  That's good, but consider it this way.

When you enter the water, YOU are responsible for your safety.  Yes, they have lifeguards (I've been lifeguard trained for almost 30 years now, worked as a lifeguard in HS/college), but they may have hundreds of swimmers too. 

If you are comfortable keeping yourself safe during the swim (can calm yourself down, comfortable "floating" on your back with lots of splashing and waves rocking you around) then participate in the race.  If you do, focus on swimming slowly (it's real easy to try going too fast) and keeping calm.  Otherwise, don't take the chance until you've trained specifically for the race. 

The best two outcomes are you finish having a great time and are hooked for life or you finish/DNF with such a miserable experience you vow never to do it again.  As dismal as the second-best outcome is, the remaining outcomes are a lot worse. 

2007-06-09 11:40 AM

Champion
No excuses!
Go for it!! Relax go slow and get comfortable, use the mentality that whatever it takes to get out of the water I will do it.

Though I have yet to do a tri so my advice might just be bunk
2007-06-09 11:56 AM
in reply to: #837135

User image

Master
McFuzz has excellent advice above.

Pls. be careful if you do this ( read LET THEM KNOW "IT'S MY FIRST TRI/OWS AND I'M FEARFUL)..... I'd use those exact words. They will probably watch you a little closer.

A positive attitude can not always, and should not have to, overcome lack of training/experience, especially with swimming..... in my opinion.

Continued best wishes.

Edited by tri42 2007-06-09 11:59 AM
2007-06-10 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would give this some serious thought before I did it. I have not yet done a tri, but I built up my distance in the pool and did my first OWS this past week. WOW!! Very different. I am VERY comfortable in the water, but the cold water, the waves, the depth, made me quite anxious. I relaxed and got myself calm, but if I had not had the experience of this, and tried to race while feeling this way, I think I really would have freaked.

I did my second OWS today, and it was much better. I don't think you are going to drown or anything, but if you have a bad swim, it might make the next tri harder for you.

2007-06-11 7:18 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

so.. inquiring minds want to know....

did you do the race? 

2007-06-11 10:56 AM

Veteran
San Jose, CA
The suspense is killing me!
2007-06-11 11:37 AM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2007-06-11 12:39 PM
in reply to: #839017

User image

Hey there Everyone!

Again Thank you so so much for your support! You all have helped me a great deal.

I did it!!!! I finished it! It was the most amazing experience ever to complete this race. I am certainly not proud of the time it took me to complete it, but then again...my goal was to finish it.

I have to be honest. I felt like turning around after my first 50yards in open water. I got pulled into the hundreds of kicking feet and it felt like I was making no progress. I turned onto my back and did a couple of easy backstroke allowing others to pass me. The rest of the way was a combination of back stroke, breast stroke and side stroke. There were so many inspiring people along the way though, other swimmers telling each other..."You can do it" People on kayaks shouting..."You're almost there!" I kept on thinking...if I can just get half way...then I know I can get back.

The best feeling ever was when I felt the sand under my feet again. My legs felt wobbly. I wanted to run but all I could do is walk. Then I heard my husband shout my name and I saw my son and THEN I started to run.

Being on my bike was great. The hills were tough, but this was when I manage to pass a lot of athletes.

The run also went OK. I got to admit that it felt like a very long 3 miles...(yes only 3 miles), but the good thing is that I made it!!!

Thanks to all of you for your support. I am so glad I found this site. I have to admit, that I will prepare a whole lot more for the swimming part of my next Sprint triathlon. I thought that the hard part will be to swim in a lake where I don't know how clean, deep or what creatures can be in it. However, the water was fantastic and cool. The last thing on my mind was if there are any creatures in the water. The biggest challenge was the START and the DISTANCE.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Concerned about first triathlon on Sunday Rss Feed  

of 3