United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 45s
Overall Rank = 25/458
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 7/81
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, got dressed, got oatmeal prepared, finished packing car. Woke Ron up, and started getting girls ready. I wasn't aware that Ron was going to shower so that threw schedule off and then girls wanted Daddy to open his Father's Day gifts and cards... which seemed like it took forever so I was 30+ minutes late getting out of the house. Drove to race site, parked and took off at fast walk to get to transition before it closed.
Event warmup:

Fast paced hike from car to transition area, going completely against the traffic flow. I scrambled in transition as announcer was saying transition area was closed. I had one guy offering to pump my tires for me, but I prefer to do that stuff myself. He then told me I didn't have enough air in my tires... so I'm glad I didn't let him pump them because I put the air pressure at my usual setting and can't imagine how much air he would have tried getting in there. I scrambled getting aero bottle on and filled and accidentally spilled some all over another girl's t area --- I sure hope everything dried out before she got in those running shoes. I raced out of the transition area as the announcer was again saying it was closed. I forget to grab watch out of my t-bag and didn't get any sort of gels or nutrition for either pre-race or during race. As I was scrambling to the beach, I was trying to remain calm and say it was probably better not to know my splits and it was only a sprint with a longish bike so nutrition wasn't an absolute necessity. Got to the beach as announcements were being made and hit the bathhouse for a pee stop and got onto the beach as first wave was going off. I met up with Jamie, Courtney and Elena for a few minutes and then it was time for my race to start.
Swim
  • 12m 1s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I got into the water to line up for the start, I felt chip coming loose so I was treading water getting that tightened when the horn blew. It was a strange, chaotic start and there was lots of contact. Because of the fumbling with chip, I didn't get to the best position for the start and definitely was a bit disoriented. I finally got through some of the swimmers and made my way towards the buoys. I kept bumping into Elena (I hope I wasn't scratching you Elena) and then tucked in behind her to try and draft, but I was swimming too fast to draft from her and kept hitting her, so I pulled out from behind her and went even closer to the buoys and just started swimming, but by this point the swim was more than half over and I realized I should have had a different strategy from the get go. I stayed pretty close to the buoys and had open water there, but probably should have come back towards shore a little bit so I was more with the pack.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race on time so I'm not rushed and panicked through race start, and have time for a warm-up swim. Get into a better position before the horn blows so I don't have to fight as much for space. Find some feet that are faster than mine for drafting. Learn to swim faster - I'm still so slow!
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

This time included a long run uphill to the transition zone. I had no problems running it and found bike rack with ease. Got my gear on and took off for mount line. I skipped socks here which probably helped with my time, but would haunt me on the run. I fumbled getting clipped in at mount line a bit, but had a pretty efficient transition. When I first saw my transition split, I was a bit bummed out until I did some rankings and realized I was 7/81 in AG and 16/258 overall for the first transition, so it didn't go as poorly as I thought.

Try mounting bike with shoes already clipped and getting into shoes while riding.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 8s
  • 19 miles
  • 18.96 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good ride. I felt pretty good on the bike. Of the two significant hills, I climbed the first with no problem, but definitely felt the quads on the second. There was one long, fast downhill that I managed pretty well but did tap my brakes a few times near the bottom, so I still need to work out my fear of the downhill speed. I was scolding myself for the slow pace I managed on the gradual incline (I think it was on Buford Dam), and was imagining the "really good riders" were just taking off on this section. I bounced around between my big and little ring on this section trying to get my legs to be more cooperative with what pace I thought I should be riding. I managed to pick up pace and felt a bit better after turning off what I think was Buford Dam. I was cruising into the park and feeling pretty good about my bike overall when the change in road surface and a small hill had me deciding to go back into the little ring before we hit the last hill into transition and I dropped my chain. I dismounted and got chain back on but had a big pack of riders pass me (the only time anyone passed me on the bike course). I was pretty upset with that and know I would have broken an hour on the ride if I hadn't screwed that gear change up. I decided to stand and just power up the final hill into the transition area and skidded to a stop and had problems getting left shoe unclipped as I was trying to dismount.

Continue to increase bike mileage and do more hill training.

Figure out how to properly shift from big to little ring so I stop wasting time having to dismount and get chain back on.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Another efficient transition. Nearly forgot to remove bike helmet again, but thankfully caught it before leaving transition. T2 rank was 1/81 in age group and 10/258 overall, so my transitions continue to help my time which is good.

Not much.
Run
  • 21m 47s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Race advertised this as 3.0 miles, but I think it might have been a bit short, while others are saying it was a 5K... so who knows what it really was. I exited transition at a fast clip and got to the bottom of the hill outside transition and realized my legs were tired. I didn't feel like I was keeping a great pace and was happy to see the first water stop. I grabbed a water and gave a quick hug and hello to the girls before continuing on. Somewhere right near the second water stop, I started to feel a bit better and was glad for that. I started shouting at the other racers coming towards me which always helps take my mind off what I'm actually doing. I could feel some blisters forming on the tops of my feet from where the lacing on my shoes was rubbing and was wondering if the decision to go sockless was smart. I had one woman pass me on the run, so I started trying to pick up the pace and hang with her, and I think I crossed the finishline just behind her.

This is a really good time for me for the run on a triathlon, but I still think I can go faster. I just didn't feel I was at my limit, so I need to figure out how to go "all out" on these sprint races and really see how fast I can get my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finishline, grabbed a water, gatorade and medal, and then stood at the results table till they could print my results. It took like 2-3 minutes and they handed me a piece of paper with all my splits. That was so cool, and considering I didn't have a watch, it was great to see the splits. The swim was right where I expected it to be, but is no where near where I want it to be. At first glance I was concerned about my transition times until I was able to compare those with the rest of the results, to realize I did well on those. I was bummed when I saw the bike split of just over an hour and know I would have gone under an hour if I didn't lose the chain. I know I can still improve a bit more on the bike. The run time was decent, but because I finished and immediately said I could have/ should have run harder, I think I can still take some more time off that. After reviewing the times, I started back onto the course and made my way to water stop 1, cheering everyone on as I was going and then helping out a bit at the stop and just chatting and enjoying the day. I hopped the van back to the race finish and found Michellie Jones so I could get her autograph, and just stand around her in awe. I bugged her again after the awards, and got a pic with her and my girls. What a great way to finish a race!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim speed. Being too tentative on swim, bike and run. I need to push my limits on all three events if I'm going to see my times drop and get a bit closer to the awards at the larger races and ensure I podium at the smaller ones.

Event comments:

This was a great race. GA Multisports, RYKA, and IronGirl really did a fantastic job with this race. The volunteers (at least half of them were from North Atlanta Multisport Club) were awesome! The course is not super easy and definitely not super hard, so Lake Lanier is a good venue for a race. The after race finish area at this race was the best I have seen so far. I didn't get to enjoy the food spread they had because I went back to water stop one until that closed down, but it looked like they had some decent food. The tables with the tablecloths and flowers were a great touch, and it looks like they were giving out some neat raffle prizes when I made it back to the area. If the race returns next year, I will definitely put it on my race schedule.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:01 | 586 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/81
Overall: 101/458
Performance: Below average
Suit: Goody Tri Top and Sugoi Tri Shorts
Course: Point to point swim, keeping buoys on left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:08 | 19 miles | 18.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/81
Overall: 35/458
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Kind of circular route through Lake Lanier Islands and surrounding area. Had a couple of decent hills, and one long slow gradual incline; and some more little rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:47 | 03 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/81
Overall: 15/458
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back run on mostly shaded roads within Lake Lanier Islands.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 10:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

2007-06-18 11:41 AM
in reply to: #848625

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

Awesome race Leslie and terrific race report!  You had SO many mishaps (hurried transition setup, no watch, chip lose, chain drop, .....) and you still had an incredible race.  Your run split is awesome and I'm amazed that you felt like you could go even faster. 

Congratulations again! 

2007-06-18 11:47 AM

I just read your write up about the Ryka Iron Girl Triathlon. Great Job! I'm training now for my first Sprint Triathlon and it's nice to read these write ups. Have you been doing these for a long time? I'm nervous about mine but it's only a 1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike and 3 mile run so I'll be ready. I've run 2 marathons and have been a runner for a few years. I've been swimming for about 9 months now but I still find it hard. I'm not that fast but I think I'll be better in the actual race. I love the biking but need to improve my speed. It will be my first one so I'm just aiming to finish and see what it's like.

Thanks,
Lovetorun39
2007-06-18 12:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race Leslie. I can totally relate to your swimming frustrations..although I'm a bit slower It's good to know there's hope out there..without hope there's nothing left. Keep training and killing your races. 7th out of 81 is impressive, especially with all the tough competition out there Sunday. Good work.
2007-06-18 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race Leslie.  Way to make a number of key adjustments and overcome potential problems to produce a tremendous result.  Congrats. 
2007-06-18 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Great race.. although saying 'so slow' regarding your swim is getting a bit old. Not sure how many other people who finished top 25 overall call themselves 'so slow' in any one area, but I bet it's not many. Just saying is all. Keep it up.. looks like all refocused run training you are doing is really paying off. It's definitely your strong event.. as it should be. There is a saying.. the race is won on the bike, and realized on the run... I call that BS.. it's always won on the run at the local level, because that's where most people are weakest. Like a lion going for the kill, go after the weak. Heh.

2007-06-18 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Awesome job Leslie - you are such a strong triathlete! Your splits look great, I would have never guessed you had such a rushed start or dropped chain. Your run split is amazing (can you teach me how to run at the end of a race, sheesh!!)! You should be very proud of your performance, congratulations!!
2007-06-18 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Wow! What an impressive finish! I knew you'd rock this race! Looking at your splits, no one would know you'd had any problems at this race. Nice job with a very strong finish on a course that isn't so easy!
2007-06-18 5:41 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
You are amazing!!! Great job... what a strong finish.  Your bike time was still great DESPITE the chain issue... and a smokin' run.  It was so nice to see your smiling face out there !  Congrats.
2007-06-18 6:22 PM

User image

leslie, great race! you may have been able to push yourself harder on the run, but wow, i think it's awesome!  you cheered  me on when you were walking back on the course.  it really really helped! thanks for that!
2007-06-18 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race and great pics! Awesome times- especially that run split! Congrats on another great race!

2007-06-19 6:43 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Awesome job Leslie! You are really getting fast! Keep up the good work.
2007-06-19 7:42 AM

User image

New user

Great race, Leslie. Everything looks great. Your runs are really looking great!
2007-06-19 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great race and report, Leslie!!  Really nice, considering your "harried" start.  Love the pics too - those are awesome!!
2007-06-19 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
You did awesome Sunday!  I was trying to keep up with you when you passed me on the bike, then I dropped my chain- arrrr!  Next time!  I would have never guessed you had the few issues during the race, you're splits are still awesome!  And I can only dream of running a 21:00 5k!  Awesome job- it's always fun to race with you!!
2007-06-19 1:12 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
You did so awesome, Leslie.  Your bike split is super-fast, especially with a dropped chain thrown in there.  And your run, well, let's just say I'm totally jealous.  25th overall is really good and I hope you are happy with it    

2007-06-20 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
BFE
7:15's for splits? That's awesome! Great race Leslie.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon Rss Feed