United States
Team-magic
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 10m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 37/55
Pre-race routine:

Got up, dressed, rode bike 2 blocks to transition. Set up transition, went back to hotel for breakfast (really nice), packed car, went back down to transition to get on bus to swim start.

Unfortunately, the start was delayed around 1/2 hour, so we sat in the grass forever waiting for the start. Then sat around for even longer waiting while 1096 people in front of me started - it was almost 9AM by the time I started
Event warmup:

None possible - no swim warmup allowed, even if I wanted too. Glad I didn't bother anyway, since the race started late.
Swim
  • 31m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

SUCKED!! I hated the time trial start, even more this way. You jumped in the water from the dock, then breastroked in a line to the guy holding his hand out. When he moved his hand, you were supposed to start, which took me a second as I started my watch. We were told to move toward the center of the river and hug the buoys to catch the current, so I made my way in that direction - as my left goggle started leaked. Stopped for a second to empty it out, but I didn't do a good job as it started leaking again. I decided since it wasn't salt water or chlorine not to worry about it, which was okay.

For about the first 2/3 of the swim, things were okay. I didn't really feel any current, but I thought I'd see the difference when I got out of the water. Then, we passed under the second bridge and it felt like I hit a wall. It was REALLY hard to move forward, definately AGAINST the current now. It also got very choppy here and I started to get very frustrated at the combination of against the current AND chop - I thought this was supposed to be a fast, easy swim! I seriously thought about grabbing a kayak and getting out at one point when I felt like I had been in the water FOREVER (which I wasn't - all mental).

When I finally saw the dock with the people yanking you out of the water I was so relieved. After I was yanked out (no problems with that, the benefit of being short!), I looked at my watch and hit the split button, shocked that it wasn't a lot later. My watch split for the swim was 30:04 - a 1:50 pace. The total time for this leg includes a run to transition, including stairs (which wasn't as bad as I had anticipated).
What would you do differently?:

Be more mentally prepared for the swim. Everyone had stressed how nice the swim was, best time ever, with the current - so I think it really messed with my head when we hit the chop and current working AGAINST us.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

AG Ranking: 8/55

This was good, my best case goal was 1:20 for T1 and I beat that. I had horrible rack position too (as usual), so yeah me!! I think the NAMC transition clinic on Thursday definately paid off here.

I can still get faster here, work on unracking and running with the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 53s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.88 mile/hr
Comments:

To start the bike, I totally busted at the mount line. Slid in my shoes, feet slide out from under me, land on my left hip/butt. Ow - get up, get on the bike and start pedalling. I have got to learn to mount the bike with shoes on the pedals, then I wouldn't slip.

S-U-C-K-E-D. I couldn't have hated this bike course any more than I did - who plans a bike course on a highway?? I thought it was mind-numbingly boring and the hills were horrible. I like rolling courses okay, but this was ridiculous.

My head was not in the race, especially not at this point. I was already frustrated from the swim and again thought maybe I should just stop. My legs were pretty tired at the start, as I didn't taper for this race, and the pace reflects this. I couldn't find the motivation to make myself push harder on this course and I knew my average was going to be bad. At the halfway point turnaround, we were slammed by a stiff headwind - great. I just kept trying to pass people and encourage them as I went by. I passed a fair number of people and was passed by fair number of people. I just wanted to get off the freakin bike.

Have a better mental attitude on the bike. Make myself push harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

27/55

Darn - I thought this was going to be faster! I did an awesome flying dismount (thanks again to the transition clinic) and ran to my rack. I had a little trouble finding my spot, but only slowed for a second or so. Had a little trouble racking my bike (need to practice that) and then proceeded to put on my socks. They were rolled half down (thanks to Amy at the clinic), but my hands were shaking and it still took me a second. Had a hard time getting my shoes on (maybe I was trying to rush too much), grabbed my fuel belt, visor, and race belt and ran out of transition.

My best case goal was 1:00 for T1, which didn't happen, but it was still better than normal compared to previous races I have done. I definately have room to improve here, but the flying dismount certainly helped.

Not sure - I think I just need to practice.
Run
  • 1h 02m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

YEAH!!! Okay, so this is still above a 10 min pace, but this was a breakthrough for me! I really struggle with my runs in tris, but I finally nailed this one. I started out running too fast out of T2, but Elena came up beside me to run for a minute and slowed me down to a more realistic pace (need to practice starting slower). I focused on getting my breathing under control and keeping good form. I made sure to drink my water and perpetuem about once per mile - taking the water at aid station to pour on my head.

At the halfway point I got really excited that I was still running and still feeling good, but I didn't mess with my pace. I was running between 9:30-10:00, which was perfect. Right before mile 5 I started to feel my pace slow a bit and decided I would grab some water/gaterade at the next aid station and walk for a second to drink it. I walked one more time up this steep hill at around 5.5, since I could feel my HR rising a lot and I wanted to finish strong.

Coming down the last stretch was really cool. I was really proud of my run performance (this was the first time I thought "maybe I will be able to do the HIM in Sep") and the whole club was yelling my name and ringing cow bells as loud as they could - it was so cool!! :) I picked up my pace a little and ran through the finish line.

I think I could have picked up the pace for miles 2-6, I know I can run faster than this - but this was a smart pace for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, walked back to the club tent. After I finished the water, I drank the "Heather Ale" that the girls brought me - how cool is that?! :) Ate half an orange and stretched.

This isn't really part of the warm-down, but after most people had left, we found this fountain/"Redneck Bath" under one of the bridges. It was a 3 foot(ish) deep pool of cool water that drained off these steps/fountain and then out of the pool into the river. Kirk, Courtney, Kraig, Neal, Leslie (and 2 kiddos) went there after the race. It was the perfect way to cool off and rinse off (since the hotels wouldn't give decent late checkout times). Very redneck, but perfect! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mentally, I don't think I was ready to race today. No taper (not a high priority race) meant I was tired.

Event comments:

I really hated the bike course, disliked the swim course, and loved the run course. I will not do this race again if they continue to keep the bike course on the highway, this was boring and mentally draining. How can there not be a more scenic course in all of Chattanooga?

Took close to 48 hours to post results, which was also very disappointing.

Last updated: 2007-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:31 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Point-to-point in the river
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:33:53 | 24.85 miles | 15.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/55
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back with 98% on highway 27. Long hills on straight highway road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:02:46 | 06.21 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/55
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along riverfront. Hill at start and .5 from finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-17 10:43 AM
in reply to: #889066

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Funny how you didn't like the bike and I loved it.. I'm guessing you were either expecting more, or just not mentally there for that race. Mental struggles are important though. We all experience them. You will recall these when you are doing your HIM. It's not a question of can you do it, cause you know you can. It becomes a question of will your mind let you finish.  Good job getting yourself through Chattanooga. It was a tough course, and you did great.
2007-07-17 11:24 AM
in reply to: #889123

User image

Regular
Good race, that bike course was insane!!! I am not a big fan of hills and this was a climb-fest.

That was a hell of a good run time...nice job!
2007-07-17 12:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on your race Heather. You had a strong run after mentally checking out a bit on a tough swim and bike, which is awesome. Good job staying with your race through the entire thing!
2007-07-17 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great race Heather. I felt the same way about the swim..horrible! The water was so choppy and I thought for sure I was crazy because everyone said how easy this swim is. It sounds like we shared some of the same problems during the swim but excellent job overcomming your attitude.
2007-07-17 3:05 PM

Way to push through the swim and bike. Even better, you had a good run. I've sworn this race off after each of the last 2 years, but I keep coming back. Don't let a bad course keep you down. The river was much slower than the last couple of years, and biking on the highway was actually an improvement over riding through construction zones last year. Good luck in the HIM later in the year

2007-07-17 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Good job! I too found the current at the last bridge really bad. I thought someone was swimming right next to me pushing me around. The bike sucked. I've ridden tougher routes but I thought we were into the wind on the way out only to turn back into the headwind. I couldn't get any speed on this course. Come back next year and defeat this course!!!!!
2007-07-17 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
Good race and report. You did a good job on the run.  I had a good time hanging out with you guys.
2007-07-17 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I can totally understand your mental attitude during this race and your were able to break through and finish strong, awesome work! You had good splits on the swim and bike but your run was great! I know the run has been something you've worked on for Oly's and it showed in this race! Congrats on a strong finish.
2007-07-17 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, Georgia
Bronze member
great race Heather!! those brick workouts really seem to be paying off!
2007-07-17 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
You really did great on Sunday.  I thought the swim pretty much sucked too, I guess I thought it would be a breeze!  Way to have a strong run and finish hard!  And when you don't do this race next year, you WILL be taking another redneck bath with us in the fountain.  I'm so bummed I didn't take a picture!

2007-07-18 6:01 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Great Job. Sounds like everyone had a great time. I wish I could have been there.
2007-07-18 3:09 PM

User image

i really enjoyed reading your race report. i could relate to a lot of what you said.  it's nice to know others struggle mentally but still pull through!
2007-07-18 8:46 PM

User image

Master
My top goal is still just to "not walk" so great job on that. 
2007-07-22 12:06 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Sorry you didn't have what you'd consider an "A" race, Heather.  Still, you were out there and you finished and, all things considered, you did so relatively close to the time you wanted to beat.  Great job girl!!
2007-07-22 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on a challenging race course. I liked the bike, other than the traffic being so close to us, and I did not expect so much climbing! You had a great race, and now its time to focus on SC!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed