View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Total Time = 3h 27m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I have to start with giving big kudos to my Tri Coach, Mary, who works endless hours and has the patience of a saint. Thanks for all you've done to get me here today ... ready to race my first olympic distance. Unbelievable.

I packed the car the night before so all I had to do was eat my oatmeal and banana and get out the door.
Event warmup:

Played around in the water for a few minutes to get used to the temperature. It was perfect with a wetsuit. Not much else because the start was a time trial in reverse age order and I was one of the first to jump in. Age has it's privileges.
Swim
  • 34m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim was faster than I expected. I kept a pretty consistent stroke the whole mile except for the part where I took a kick to the head and had to breast stroke for a bit to get my breathing under control and adjust my goggles. Is this going to happen in every race? There were plenty of buoys and a yellow rope marking the course which was really helpful. The only thing I didn't like was the smell and taste of gas fumes from the boats surrounding us. I got a little nauseated but it went away quickly when I exited the water. Yeah! I was happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

We had wetsuit strippers. How cool is that! I was breathing pretty hard from my swim and the uphill trek from the beach so I tried to slow down and get my HR under control. I sat down and put socks on which was worth every second because I can't stand to wear my cycling shoes without them (OCD). I had a great spot right by the bike in/out so I didn't have to run very far in my cleats. Okay, this was a little slow.
Bike
  • 1h 37m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills kick my butt and the Quincy Hills are never-ending. Today I showed them who rules the road. Today I rode these faster than I did on any of my training rides. This is a challenging course for me and I'm proud of my effort on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I was considering a little nap at this point so the fact that I kept moving was a positive. It felt good to get the helmet off. I washed down a GU with water and off I went.
Run
  • 1h 12m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was much slower than I anticipated. I was feeling the heat and my legs were toast after that hilly ride. I kept a slow but steady pace for the first 3 miles. I had to throw in several walk breaks during the last 3 miles. I made it all the way to mile 5.5 and had to stop and pee. I wanted to hold it so bad for that last half mile but it just wasn't going to happen. It was blazing hot outside but not as hot as it was in that port-a-potty ... when I stepped out of there it actually felt cool for a few minutes!
Post race
Event comments:

Wow. I think the whole official USAT crew was here today. The officials were everywhere. One stopped to visit with me while I was setting up transition and let me know I hadn't put the number on my bike correctly. He showed me how to make it legal ... no penalty!

I was the second oldest female racing and the only one in my age group so I got the first place AG award. I don't know where the more mature ladies were today ... maybe having tea and crumpets with the Queen!

My friend, Val, volunteered at the swim finish and run start. It was fun having her there to cheer me on as I moved through the events. Thanks Val. I couldn't do this without the support I get from friends and family. So thank you to my husband who hates the heat but stands there in the blistering sun to catch glimpses of me as I fly by and offers words of encouragement. Thank you to Jeff, my awesome strength trainer, who tells me I'm a rock star and gets up at the stupid crack of dawn on his day off so he can remind me of that as I stand in the chute waiting to jump in the water. Thank you to my friend, Beka, who comes to every race and cheers her little heart out, holds my half eaten bagel and banana, and helps me pack up when the race is over. I love you guys.

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:10 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Swim course was two loops out and back. The first was straight out with a 180 degree turn and straight back. The second was straight out again and maybe a 75 degree turn to the finish.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:09 | 24.85 miles | 15.35 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The bike course exits out the main park entrance, takes the dogleg to the scuba beach, and then heads out to Quincy. Go east on Quincy until you think you're in Kansas and then turn around. It's all hills and the two miles up Powhaton Road to get back in the park are a steady incline.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:12:04 | 06.21 miles | 11m 36s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: The run course is a little rolling hills curvy adventure along the south shore of the reservoir. Plenty of aid stations and port-a-potties along the route.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 11:00 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: Rattlesnake Olympic Triathlon

2007-08-19 12:46 PM
in reply to: #930860

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: RE: Rattlesnake Olympic Triathlon

Wow, you rocked it!!  Good on you for getting out there and showing the other chicks in your AG what they're missing!!  You and my mom really throw down the gauntlet for "aging gracefully".   Sounds like you were just flying, can't wait to see the results.  I can't even imagine what that portapotty was like, the race photos look so hot!!  You look great, btw, nice legs, woman!!

2007-08-19 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Way to go.  Sounds like it was a good race Sat.  I did the sprint today and it was awesome as well.  Very well run and organized.  I agree with you the Hills are aweful (That is being nice.)  Again good job.
2007-08-19 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
You did AWESOME!!! You have no idea how proud I am of you.

By the way, I absolutely cannot stand to cycle without socks either (OCD as well--thanks for that ).

Really, really great job. You don't just throw down the gauntlet for aging gracefully--you just plain throw down the gauntlet.
2007-08-19 2:21 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

"Ouch! You hit me with your gauntlet! Stop throwing that thing!"

Heh.

Nice job out there today! 

CONGRATULATIONS!  

2007-08-19 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Super Job...first Oly complete with a 1st AG win to boot!

The other women your age were knew you were racing and were afraid to show up

Oly's are so different than sprints add in hills and it dang tough. You did awesome...great race! 

2007-08-20 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Great job out there!!  And always awesome winning hardware!

You know, I've always said that a short nap in T2 shouldn't be counted against us...

Now - onto HIM distance, right?? 

2007-08-20 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
1st Oly, Congrats, you know the next challenge for next year is a HIM or an IM.
2007-08-20 1:37 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great job on the agegroup victory!  A win is a win in any category!  Congrats!
2007-08-21 7:56 AM

Becky - I am SO proud of you. You and your daughter both have given goals to me for my first Oly! The pee break - also known as Transition 3...sorry for that. But, AWESOME race. Past the kick to the head, through the hills and kept on giving. Way to set the bar high. You rock! OOO
2007-08-22 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Well look at you speedy!  Dang!  You were even fast on the bike course hills of death!  Congrats on an awesome race and completing an oly!!!

2007-08-22 1:58 PM
in reply to: #935933

User image

Master
Colorado
GREAT JOB!!!!
2007-08-24 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Great job out there... congratulations on completing your first Oly, showing the hills who's boss and winning some hardware .
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rattlesnake Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed