General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Racing Underground
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Decided to sleep over in Aurora. Which was wonderful. A mini vacation. King size bed and big screen TV. I was running around all day trying to find a new miles meter for my bike since my conked out. Finally got settled and went to bed at 8:30. Woke up ate oatmeal, a bannana, drank some water and Gatorade. Went outside to load my car and Holy Moly had to take my sweatshirt OFF! It was freakin' 60 degrees outside at 5:20 a.m. This was not good. Not good at all. Usually this race, which is late in the summer is cold. So cold many people don't like to get in the water even with a wetsuit. Last time I did this race I had a sweatshirt and long pants on before the start. Not today. Which didn't bode well for me. My body reacts to the heat like Superman to cryptonite. It explodes and cramps up like hell.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just chatted. Talked and let go of some nervous energy. I ate another bannana and worried about my nutrition. I had a Camelback filled with Gatorade, two 20 oz water bottles filled with Gatorade, four gels and a peanut butter snacky thing. I was really wondering if I had enough. I wish I had tried Perpetum before the race but I didn't.
Swim
  • 44m
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a fantastic swim for me. I was 1 minute faster than last time I did this race and I have to believe it's because I drafted. I drafted off some girl going out and drafted off some guy coming back into shore. I looked up and damn it if I wasn't finished. Didn't even fell the swim. No panic even though we started in the water with about 200 people in my wave. Nass starts suck but it wasn't too bad. No one swam over me so I was doing all right. I've never drafted before. I highly recommend it. I was so busy keeping up with the draftee that I really didn't notice how long my swim was. It was fantastic.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much. Go faster?
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

This was about 1 minute faster than last time as well. I have to think it's because I went without socks! Woo Hoo. I forgot to eat a bananna though and that would prove potentially fatal.
Bike
  • 4h 22m
  • 56 miles
  • 12.82 mile/hr
Comments:

OK. I started this race with a record pace. At the halfway mark I was at 1:43 on pace to beat last year's 4 hrs on the bike. I was really strong and kickin' ass on this course. Then when we left 36 I began to slow down. I looked down at my mph meter on the bike. It had a handy liitle temperature gaugae. The gauage went 80, 85, 87, 90, 03, 05, 99. By mile 35 I was having muscle aches and by mile 40 I was cramping so bad I had to get off my bike. The temp guage was 104 at that time. Nothing but me and the black asphalt and the hilss of Quincy Avenue. All the bike gains I had in the beginning of this race evaprotated. I stopped racing and began wondering if I was going to finish. I cramped so bad in my left leg I had to get off the bike and began walking. I prayed to Jesus and told him I would be healed in his name. I cried out to the Lord. i began singing worship songs and ignoring the pain I got back on my bike. Passed a guy with a flat, gave him my spare tube and pump and dhe gave me some Heed. I dropped my back from 3rd to 2nd and then finally to Granny just to gut out the last 10 miles. I was NOT going to let my simple mortal body demolish my celestial will. So I gutted it out. Gritting my teeth as person after person passed me, people I had whizzed by earlier. I kept thinking how in the world am I going to run 13 miles? I can't even walk? Saw Cathy with two miles to go. She was screaming my name. And I just grannied it home. Still wasn't the last one in. A girl came after me tears, sobbing really. She was so disoriented and upset. I told her "Suck it up girlie, hard part is over. Just gut out these last 13 miles and call it a day..." She smiled and put on her running shoes. Later she said to me, "Thanks for getting me out of transition, I'm going to make it. I'm going to finish." She's doing IMCA with me next year hopefully she can do the same for me one day.
All in all I was 20 min xlower on the bike that last time but I felt 100 percent better.
What would you do differently?:

Eat. Find something on the bike that can pump me full of calories but not make me sick. Ughh. Freakin' leg cramps!
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Run
  • 3h 56m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This was hard. I was so totally worried about cramping but I kept downing HEED and eating Oreos, and graham crackers. It was very hot and sunny by this time. Then the cloud covered the entire sky. Lightening blasted the air. The resorvior water began to get whitecaps the wind was gusting so bad. About 10 mintues after I made the turnaround the sky burst forth and dumped, hail, rain, wind and whatever else. It was like Geesh someone didn' t want me to finish this race. But I rain through the cold, the rain the hail and the lightening. The RD offered me a ride and I said unless you're making me leave this course I'm staying. and I did, finishing 12 min faster than last year's run. Woo Hoo.
Post race
Event comments:

All in all it was a good race. I've got a lot to do before IMCdA but I'll get it done. Woo Hoo. It's over.

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:00 | 1931 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back. Pretty simple.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
04:22:00 | 56 miles | 12.82 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Crazy hills of Aurora. Out to Quincy up Quincy turnaround up Watkins, over I-70 to 36 up 36 then cross at 79 and then back up Quincy to home. Let's see I think we spent about 20-30 miles CLIMBING!!!!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:56:00 | 13.1 miles | 18m 01s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Out and back. Some trail mostly concrete around the resvoir.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2007-09-17 5:42 PM
in reply to: #968372

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon
So that's what those FOUR bananas were for!?!?!  LOL!  Ovetta, it would only happen to you my dear with the hail and lightning.  Unreal.  You are too freakin cool. 
2007-09-17 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

O,

The amount of will and heart you display in each of your races is inspiring!  Way to gut it out after hitting the wall on the bike.  That determination serves you well!

2007-09-17 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Holy crap! You are one tough woman!! There aren't many people who woulda gutted out what you did and finished that race!! I'm so freaking proud of you!!
2007-09-17 8:54 PM

, Alabama

Ovetta, you are SOOO special to push your way through all that.  Terrific job!  Great milestones on the swim and run too!

Sharon

2007-09-17 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Girlfriend, when I saw you coming out of the water, I was so pumped for you!  I can't tell you how many times I thought of you during my itty bitty Sprint. You really inspired me. What an amazing race report and your iron will gives me chills! 

You rock! I mean that in the most sincere way!

I'll have to remember the worship songs when I get spent. I know when I revert to Phillipians 4:13, that I am about done...maybe singing will push me over the edge sometime!

Melanie

2007-09-17 11:16 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Great job, I wish I would have introduced myself before the race.  I think I figured out who you were. 

Way to gut it out on the run.  Hey, the Lord cooled it down for you with the rain for you to finish well.   

2007-09-18 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
You are such an inspiration to me!!  I just love the way you take on challenges and don't let anything get you down!  I'm hoping to do a HIM in the next couple of years (though the meer thought still scares the crap outta me!) and reading your story is totally empowering.  Congrats on a great race and thanks for the great RR!
2007-09-18 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Well, I've never seen a bike computer be called a "miles meter" before

In the face of such agony and frustration, you persevere. You never cease to amaze me! Great job, O!

We need to work on during-race fueling this winter, okay????!!!!

2007-09-18 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Yeah, where did that heat come from? Congrats on smacking down a really tough course!
2007-09-18 6:53 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Ovetta, you certainly have what it takes, and it must please the Big Guy upstairs to see how you use it.  You are truly an inspiration.  When I finally work up to doing a long course, I want you by my side shouting "Suck it Up Girlie" cuz I'm going to need that.  God bless you!

2007-09-21 2:32 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

Ovetta!   way to gut it out! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed