General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 49m 16s
Overall Rank = 159/728
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/87
Pre-race routine:

I guess I will start with the great BT dinner organized by Marcy and Steve. We even had name tags to put our real name and screen names on. It is amazing how well everyone cleans up when they are out of spandex. My sister, Lori, came to the dinner and really enjoyed meeting everyone. After getting back to the room, I made up all my GU2O bottles and was in bed by 9:00pm. I got up at 4:00am and had an almond butter sandwich. Yes, I did bring my almond butter and bread with me. Remember, DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. I got everything packed up and was on my way at 5:15am. What a nice change to have lights in the transition area. Also, having your specific racking spot marked was great also. I got my transition area set up and then searched out the rest of the DFW crowd to hang out until it got light enough to get wet.
Event warmup:

Swam about 400 meters. That is about what it takes to get me into a comfortable breathing pattern.
Swim
  • 48m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off on the left side in the second row. I wanted to be on the left side because in yesterdays and my warm-up swim I had a tendancy to drift to the right. I started off just fine and was not getting bumped at all. Then instead of drifting to the right, I must have taken a hard turn right because next thing I knew I was right in the middle of the washing machine. I got my self straightened out and just kept going. There was more bumping than what I had ever experienced before but I just kept moving forward knowing that I would eventually get a clear path. I eventually worked myself to the right side of the pack and this worked great because I breathe to my left. I could just use the other caps to site off of. I should have started on the right side. I will know better next time. Just before the first right turn, the first pink cap from the wave behind caught me. I was wondering if it was Ashley. I did find out later it was Ashley's sister because of the number on her arm. I knew the pink caps would catch me and this worked out great for sighting. I figured if I kept them 10 to 20 yards to my left I must be going straight. I really felt like I got into a good rhythm along the far stretch. I kept the pink caps in close proximity and just stayed with the beat of my tempo trainer. Occasionally, I would site and I would be right on line with the next bouy. As I rounded the last bouy, I just knew I was going to be around 40 minutes for my swim time. I was feeling so good that I actually thought about IMAZ and how the 2.4 mile swim would be no problem. As I got close to the shore, I saw the weeds and actually stood up too soon. I had to take about 5 more strokes before touching bottom. I got out of the water no problem and I ran up the hill to transition. Lori was right there cheering me during the run-up. It was not until I got on my bike that I looked at my watch. It said 51 minutes. I was stunned that my swim took me that long. I felt so good but was painfully slow. I let that bother me for about 30 secs before I told myself it was time to concentrate on the bike and maybe you can make up some of that time.
What would you do differently?:

Lasso Ashley's sister and have her tow me around the course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

11/87, I forgot to take my cap off, while running up to transition, and it took me a couple trys before it came off so I could put my helmet on. I got all the grass and dirt off my feet and my socks and shoes went on no problem. I ran through transition to the bike mount. Usually, I do the flying leap. This time I decided to save the extra 5-10 secs so I stopped mounted and took off.

Take off my swim cap and goggles while runnning.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 9s
  • 56.8 miles
  • 19.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I drove the course and road a short section on Friday. After driving the course, I was not worried about the hills that several people referenced. I knew it would be a fast course. Going in I wanted to average 19.5 mph and after driving the couse I thought 20 mph was doable. I got into a good rhythem pretty quick. As usual, my HR was way higher than what I wanted but I knew it would slowly come down. Unfortunately, my HR monitor went haywire for the first 40 miles. Sometimes it would read 147 and a minute later it would read 53. Anytime I sat up to eat I would fiddle with it, but it did not come around until mile 40. So for the first 40 miles I just went on what felt good. I was glad that my swim wave was one of the last ones so I would have plenty of people to pass on the bike. I just kept hopping from one biker to the next, getting a little draft as I moved up, then going by them. Early on, I passed SportySue and had a short conversation with her. At the first aid station, they placed it right at a curve. I had all my hydration with me so I did not need the aid stations for the bike. The guy ahead of me reached out for a bottle of water. I go to pass him on the left while saying "On your left". He starts to vear to the left. Again I say "ON YOUR LEFT"! He ended up straightening out leaving my about 1/2 inch before I was in the gravel off the road. He did say "Sorry" as I went by. About 1:30 into the bike I come up on Color-coordinated Karen. Who could miss the light purple top that matches her bike so well. So I come up to her and say, "That has got to be the cutest tritop out here". Then she starts busting my balls because it took me so long to catch her. That's what I get for passing out a compliment. The rest of the way I did not see anyone else. It was nice to have the mile markers at every 10 miles. From my watch, I could tell that I was staying near 20mph. When I drove the course, I missed at least 4 turns. I was a little worried about missing a turn during the race. But that was not an issue as there were at least 4 volunteers at every turn. There was never a doubt as to what direction you had to go. There was even a short steep hill that a couple volunteers were at the top of just to motivate people to get up the hill. Later on, the song "Paradise by the dashboard lights" got in my head. I remembered Ahmed, from Playtri, saying that thinking about extra things will only cause you HR to go up. So I tried to get the song out of my head. I started thinking about bringing my knees up for a smooth pedal stroke, "I gotta know right now. Do you love me. Will you love me forever. Do you need me. Will you never leave me....", OK, bring your knees up just think about bringing your knees up, "Let me sleep on it. Baby, Baby, let me sleep on it. I'll give you an answer in the moooooorniiiing...", Finally, my HR monitor started working around mile 40 and I was glad to see that my HR was right were I wanted it to be. As I get near the end of the course, I knew I still had the two hills to go up. I was not worried about the hills but I was not prepared for what I was about to see. Going up the last hill, you could see the runners going up the same hill inside the park. Now these people are over 5 miles ahead of me and I am assuming are pretty fast. Over 3/4 were walking up the hill! Two words came to mind Holy Shit! I told myself that I would not walk up that hill, I must run the whole way up it. As I come to the dismount line, I came to a complete stop before dismounting and unclipped. Usually I take my feet out of the shoes and run off, but again I just wanted to be safe rather than save 5-10 secs.

Nothing, this was a great bike ride for me. I drank and ate just like I wanted and went faster than the 19.5 mph goal I had.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

2/87, Does this deserve a "Who's your Shock Daddy". Bike shoes off, running shoes on, helmet off, visor on, picked up feul belt and ran out of transition.

Nothing, Nada, Zero, Zilch
Run
  • 2h 06m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Coming off the bike I felt so good. I saw Lori as I exited transition and she yelled out, "You look so good". I could tell from the look on her face that she was not just saying that. My legs got right into the run. Usually, it takes about a mile to get my running legs. I had my running legs from the start. I knew about the big hill at the end of the loop, but I was not prepared for all the other hills. I saw so many people during the run. John, Clint, Gaarryy, Karen, Sue, Reagen, Kelley, Jill, Doug, Mike, David B, David G. It is always a little pick-me-up when ever you see someone you know. The funniest meeting was when I saw David B on our second loops. I was going out to the expo center and he was coming back. I am sure he heard "Craig" come out of his mouth. But, all I heard was this caveman like grunt. Thanks for the chunkle David. Along the course, I saw Chris and Johnny cheering me on. Even though I was not expecting the run to be so hilly, I was really feeling good the entire first lap. Going up the big hill I got right behind a girl that was running at the same pace as me and I let her just pull me right up the hill. I did the polite thing and thanked her at the top of the hill. Because I felt so good on the first lap, I think it caused me not to drink as much as I should have. I just had my original game plan, in mind, and did not compensate for the heat. As I finish my first lap, I see Lori again and she holds out her cell phone for me to say hello to our little sister Alyson as I run by. I look at my watch and I realized that 5:30 is not doable, but if I can maintain my pace I will be very happy. When I hit the hills going out to the Expo Center, it all comes crashing down. I started to feel a little chill and I knew that was not good. I knew I needed to start walking the aid stations and take in more fluids. I had never walked the run before, but right then and there, I did not care. So every aid station it was three cups of water. Drink half the cup, pour half on my head. During the second lap, I caught up with John and walked with him while I finished my water. Then later on I caught up with Reagen and we ran together for a while. As I came by transition heading out on the trail, Lori saw me walking and drinking. Her face told me that I was not looking so good. She really helped me by telling me to just do the best I can and enjoy it. So it was off to the trail to tackle the monster hill one more time. By definition I ran all the way up it, but I was straddling the line between running and walking. As I got to the finish line, I do not think I was able to muster a smile. But, I was glad to be done. I can not believe that I ranked highest, overall and AG, in the run. I think it is a good indicator of just how tough the run was.

I would have gone slower on the first lap and made sure I was better hydrated
Post race
Warm down:

Lori was there, for a big hug, as I exited the finisher area. Then I found a tent to sit down and they had misters in there. I saw someone with a Pepsi and I said, "That sure looks good". Zoom, Lori was off and got me a Pepsi. After sitting for 10 minutes, I just was not feeling any better. I told Lori that I really felt like I needed to lay down and put my feet up. Zip, Lori was off to the medical tent and secured me a cot to lay down on. The medical staff put two big bags of ice on either side of my groin, under each armpit, and under my neck. They took my BP and asked if 96/62 was low for me. I said yes while think isn't that low for anyone not named Lance Armstrong. They said they could give me an IV but they had more critical people right now. I told them that I totally understand and if they need to kick me out that is fine. The medical people laughed and said they would not be kicking me out. After about 10 minutes, I felt much better and gave up my cot for the next victim. Lori was so great to stay with me and make sure I got was ever I needed. I walked around for a while talking with other BTers and then went to clean up my transition area. I was greeted by a colony of fire ants that had taken over my duffle bag. I ended up with about 10 bites between both hands. After cleaning up my transition, I went back to cheer the rest of the DFW crowd to the finish. By this time, I even felt good enough to eat a burrito.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

#1) Carrying a piano on my back while swimming.
#2) Not being smart enough to change my run plan for the conditions

Event comments:

I deem this race a huge success because all the of the DFW crew finished and for many of us it was our first HIM. I was initially disappointed with my performance. But after feeling normal and seeing that I was in the top 25% overall and top 33% of my AG, I am totally pleased.

Last updated: 2007-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:11 | 2112 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 66/87
Overall: 456/728
Performance: Bad
Ave HR = 140
Suit: Orco Mantard
Course: One triangular loop in the lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:51:09 | 56.8 miles | 19.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/87
Overall: 183/728
Performance: Good
Ave HR = HR monitor was possessed for the first 40 miles so I do not have a good reading.
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop mostly on paved country roads. There were about 7-8 miles of chipseal roads. There were some last minute changes to the course so it actually measured 56.8 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/87
Overall: 158/728
Performance: Below average
Ave HR = 155
Course: Two loops on pavement and trails. Oh, should I mention that it was HILLY!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-08 7:03 PM
in reply to: #997540

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Awesome race Craig!!!  It was so great being among so many friends!!
2007-10-08 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
solid race out there, especially given the hard run conditions
2007-10-08 7:13 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Good job man, you really rocked it on the bike.
2007-10-08 7:17 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Who's your shock daddy??  Priceless .

Congratulations on a great race.

2007-10-08 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

I can't believe for a second that you weren't anything but 100% ecstatic with your performance?!?  Pish posh!  You did AWESOME!!!  I'll let my sister know to plan for the lasso next time.  The swim is clearly my fault - we should have planned that foot-tap thing out better

I'm jealous that you were so successful in running most of the run course.  I think that's a huge accomplishment in itself, as the course was very difficult.  The heat was rough, so I'm glad you managed to hydrate enough to make it to the finish.

Your ride was awesome, and your transition times were top notch!  Very well done.  All of your hard work definitely paid off.  Congratulations on a very well done first HIM!!!

2007-10-08 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Ok... Ashley is right... how could you not be PROUD of that performance! It was your FIRST HIM and you ROCKED IT!

Ha! Yea... it took you 27 miles to catch me on the bike. I was so happy I kept you off for so long.

You were a speed demon on the bike!

The run was solid. It was HOT out there. I too got chills on my second lap of that loop, and that was when I started cooling myself off. I think anyone who finished that hot, hilly run feeling pretty decent did good.

Your sister Lori was very sweet... cheered for me when I saw her. So nice of her to remember what I looked like and all.

Great race and it was tons of fun seeing you pass me the course. Ha!

Next stop... IM Arizona! See you there buddy. But this time I'll be cheering as a spectator!
2007-10-08 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

You got me by 5 minutes.  And I knew I was going down the instant I saw you on the run course.  Looks like I've got to train a bit harder for when we meet again at IMAZ. 

You have alot to be proud of man.  You had a great race.  I have a feeling your swimming will improve alot with your new instruction.  Although I think Ashley's sister is a much more viable option.

And just what the hell is that song in your head?  Maybe I'm too young for it....

Congrats on a great race and your first HIM!  See you in Arizona! 

Edited by jcbolton 2007-10-08 10:16 PM
2007-10-08 10:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Congratulations on a great race! What a great time on the run! It was really tough with the hills and heat. Tell your sister thanks for cheering me on!
2007-10-08 10:45 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job out there yesterdays and congrats on such a strong run. i dont think by the 2nd venture up the big hill everyone's run resembled a fast walk. you definitely had a nice run!
2007-10-09 6:54 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Great job and great determination...sounds like you had a good time out there, and you should be proud!

2007-10-09 7:29 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Fantastic!!!  Excellent race, hysterical RR...who's your shock daddy, grunting friends, and Paradise by the Dashboard Lights...possibly my favorite report ever.

Seriously though - you did AWESOME!!!  What a great race & you should be proud!

Kristen

2007-10-09 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Really strong performance out there!  I'm glad someone was able to run up that hill.
2007-10-09 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Sounds like you Rocked it!!!

Your training has been so solid there was never a doubt.  I wanted to come up and cheer everyone on but I couldn't talk the family into it.  They don't watch me race so going to see other people really wasn't in their equation of fun. lol.

Anyway,  You did awesome and should be proud of yourself.

K

2007-10-09 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks for the support on the run.  It always helps to trade high-fives as we're passing.  I had the same two exact thoughts as you on the last bike hill, but I cratered and walked the run portion both times.

Awesome job - ShockDaddy!

2007-10-09 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there,, regardless of how you think you did.. you had a great race..  IMAZ is next on your hit list and I'm betting that you do great there also

2007-10-09 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Hmmm .... perhaps with the hotter than heck conditions you should be a little less harsh on yourself? You did GREAT! I really like that metronome gizmo you have for your swim, do you use that to keep your beat for singing as well while on the run?
2007-10-09 11:19 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Sounds like a great performance to me too!  Congrats.  I can't wait to see what you do next.  Oh, and thanks for the laugh about your encounter with Davidb on the run.  I am sure we will see you soon.
2007-10-09 11:36 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Don't sell yourself short. Those were harsh conditions on the run and you put in a great race. Well done!

2007-10-10 5:21 AM

User image

, Texas
You looked really good out there. Great job keeping the bike under control with your HR malfunction. Thinking has never got my HR up. Maybe I'm not doing something right

Great job. To go sub 6 out there in those conditions is something to be really proud of.
2007-10-10 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Awesome race, Craig!  Congrats on the HIM finish.

Glad I could amuse you out on the course.  I vaguely remember that grunt.  I was a little late recognizing you, and by the time the words came out, I just didn't have the energy to articulate well.  Nice job, "Cragblmth!" 

That med tent was hustling!  I laid down can got iced for a bit too, and they asked me the same thing -- "Is 96/48 (or something like that) normal for you, esp. after exercise?"  As if I ever take my blood pressure after running up and down hills for two hours. 

Congrats, again.  See 'ya at the  pool.

2007-10-11 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congrats on a great first HIM.  Sub 6!  Way to go.

TJ

2007-10-12 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Craig! Or, is it Shock Daddy?!? You had a fabulous day and should be very happy with your performance!

My blood pressure was also pretty low when the EMTs on the course took it. Strange, huh? I guess we're all just ultra healthy or something!

Good luck with your IM training!
2007-10-15 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Excellet job, Craig! You should be VERY proud of your performance! It was great gettimg to see you again!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed