General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 52m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drove to Austin on Saturday morning after a crazy busy week for me with little time to compose myself for my first HIM. We drove straight to the race expo spot to pick up our packets and tour around the expo briefly. My parents met us at the expo to take the 3 kids with them, but I was completely flustered trying to make arrangements for the kids, my parents and figure out what I needed to get done because we were very limited on time trying to make it to the BT dinner. Kids left with parents and then I went for a very brief 10 min run and then swam for about 20 minutes. We raced back to the hotel to get ready for the dinner. Had a great time meeting some new BT folks at the dinner, everyone was very nice and I am still trying to match faces with blogs. Got back to the hotel after dinner, got the kids settled down and in bed and then packed my stuff. Probably got in bed around 10:00 and crashed hard. Woke up around 4 and couldn't really get back to sleep. Wake up call at 5:15 and we were out the door around 6 am. Lots of traffic once we got to the site and a bit of confusion around parking. My favorite was the policeman sitting in his car in the dark with a bright light shining on the dirt path and hollering in his megaphone "This is a street...you may NOT park in the street, people need to drive there, you need to move." and repeating this mantra for each new car that tried to park. Oh yes, breakfast was a banana w/ peanut butter and a bagel with peanut butter
Event warmup:

I tried to run a little but just too much going on trying to get my transition area set up, waiting in bathroom lines and then heading down to the start. Visited with all sorts of BT folks and really didn't feel that nervous. Just knew it was going to be a long day. I just never had a free moment to get nervous, too much worrying about my kids and parents and how they were all doing.
Swim
  • 49m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

All in all I just never seem to have much to say about my swim. I never have time to swim laps or really train much at all and I don't work on my technique at all. I just get in the water and go. There were definitely times that I was thinking "Wow, this is a long swim!" but then I would just plug ahead and eventually I get there.
What would you do differently?:

I would like to concentrate on doing more upper body strength training and improve my swim time. Getting in the pool once in awhile might be helpful!For all of 2007, I have managed to log 10 and a half hours swimming and much of that has been in different tris.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

I was a little disoriented getting out of the water. I did hear someone calling my name and saying "Go Jill", but didn't even look back to see who it was. I tried to move quickly to transition, but then took a bit of time squirting off my feet and getting them cleaned up before putting on my socks. I figured it would be a long day if I had stuff rubbing in my socks. Saw Marcy (Dodgersmom) heading out of transition as I was heading in. It really was great to see familiar faces.

I would put on bodyglide and sunscreen
Bike
  • 3h 14m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I chatted with people as they went by and tried to enjoy myself. One guy passed me and as he was passing I hollered out "Hey, didn't you see that NO Passing Zone sign?" I think he was a little stunned at first, but eventually laughed. The cloud cover was really nice for the first part of the ride and at one point I got up to 38 mph on a downhill. I think my nutrition was good on the bike and I ate and drank throughout the ride. I didn't stay in my aerobars as much as I thought I would since I am not that comfortable in them yet. I rode alongside Gaaaary for a brief bit and really enjoy the folks on the course who don't take things too seriously. I know I can be competitive at times, but I also tried hard to cheer people on as I was cruising by. I think I only got passed on the bike by about 5 or 6 people and I passed quite a few. I was in the second to the last wave so there weren't that many people behind me. Overall I felt good about the ride, the last hill was a KILLER!!

I don't really think I would do too much different. I worked hard and couldn't have pushed it much harder knowing that I still had to run 13.1 miles in the heat and humidity.
Transition 2
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

I still have lots of work to do to speed up my transition times, but it just didn't seem that important considering an almost 7 hour day!

I did get a little lost trying to find where to rack my bike and probably lost about 30 seconds backtracking, so maybe I could do better at remembering where to go. I would also put on bodyglide and sunscreen.
Run
  • 2h 40m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Did I mention it was HOT? I had lots of cloud cover on the bike, but by the time I got to the run, it seemed that the cloud cover was gone and there was NO shade. I started off slowly thinking "One foot in front of the other." I remember coming up on the mile 7 or 9 or something shortly into the run and thinking what a cruel trick that was knowing that I had to do two laps. I walked much of the course and kept trying to convince myself that I needed to run. I was just too darn hot and couldn't seem to cool off. I saw lots of people I knew which helped pass the time and I played all kinds of mind games to help keep me going. I caught up to Karen (KSH) on the course and walked with her briefly and chatted. I knew she was planning to walk the whole course and I was certainly tempted, but finally convinced myself to run a bit more. Then I came up on Sue and Kelli and was shocked that they weren't way ahead of me. It seemed that Kelli had gotten sick and Sue was just recovering from being sick and I think her energy was zapped. I slowed down briefly to chat with them, but decided that if I didn't keep running the day would never end. By that point, I was feeling like a french fry and knowing that I was getting way sunburned as I hadn't put sunscreen on since the beginning of the day. I also was having major chaffing issues under my arms and was desperate for bodyglide. I stopped a official race vehicle asking for bodyglide, then I jumped off the course briefly to try to get some from the info tent. No luck. I tried running with my arms stretched out to my side which I am sure was an interesting site. I caught myself singing out loud a couple of times to help pass the time. With about 2 miles to go Sue caught back up to me and we walked/ jogged the rest of the way across the finish line. My motivation for speeding up was just gone. I was way too hot, sunburned and chaffed to push myself. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping to have a better run, but given the conditions and after hearing about the Chicago Marathon I was glad just to finish and feel good.

Change the weather
Post race
Warm down:

Well my warm down consisted of being accousted by 2 of my kids who at that point were rather irritable and my dad who was trying to get back to where my mom was so that they could leave. I did briefly go through and get a burrito and a drink, but then headed to try to find a shuttle bus with my dad so that he could get to my mom and so that I could get the kids stuff out of their car that they couldn't live without since my parents were heading back to Ft. Worth and we were spending the night in Austin.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did I mention it was about 90 with high humidity on a hilly course?

Event comments:

The aid stations were AWESOME! I was so excited to have ice to dump over my head at every stop. The volunteers were friendly and encouraging on a hot day. Did I mention it was HOT?

Next time, I am leaving the kids at home!

Last updated: 2006-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:43 | 2112 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts and top
Course: rectangle with different exit from the start
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:14:35 | 56 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Overall the course was very hilly, but they were gradual rolling hills.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:40:06 | 13.1 miles | 12m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The run course was just tough. It seemed like there was very little flat and that we were either going up or down. There was no shade and it was HOT.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-09 5:42 PM
in reply to: #999549

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Jill... you rocked it! Just look at that bike average! I think I need YOUR training plan, cause it seemed to work better than mine did.

Yea, the run was brutal. Gosh, anyone who could RUN was a hero in my book! Way to go! It was nice chatting with ya out there.

Great job on finishing your first Half Ironman! So cool isn't it?
2007-10-09 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey Baby, you did great!  And thanks for dealing with the kids and your folks while I was so zoned out.  Next time, they stay home.
2007-10-09 8:19 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Awesome Job Jill!  You did it!  Maybe you should have put on more sunscreen, bodyglide and left the kids at home...it wasn't really clear in your RR!    Oh, and was it hot???  I'm so proud of you!  Next year??? 
2007-10-09 8:55 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Hey it was great riding with ya for that little bit,, I was worried I was blocking people but when I pulled over no one passed us.??? I should have just kept riding and talking with you..

If you can change the weather, there might be a way to make some extra money for races..

you did awesome, it was great seeing you out on the course,  

2007-10-09 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job Jill. Considering the amount of pool time you put in, your swim was excellent and you had a great bike. Of course if you did not notice it was hotter than a MOTHER....., on the run. Well done on completing your first HIM.

2007-10-09 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Breaking 7 hours for your first HIM on THAT course is really quite incredible.  You rocked, Jill.  You're very strong on the bike too.   Good job on the swim without much training.  You're like me in that regard!
2007-10-09 11:01 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Great job on your first HIM!!  Your results are very impressive.  And, I agree, having the kids out there was tough.  I felt as beat as David was after chasing the kids for only half of the event!  I think he felt the same for my race Saturday. 
2007-10-09 11:28 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Way to go Jill!  It was great to meet you and your family.
2007-10-10 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Jill,

Congrats on your first HIM!!

Tough course and weather and you did excellent. The stress of parents/kids adds to craziness before the race. 

I did think of you and all the BTers while doing my HIM sort of wishing I had all the fun/support you guys were having...and wow you did!

Nice paces all around...hey I wish I could swim as fast as you with little training..train more and watch out 

2007-10-10 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

You did it! Great race report too...I get that underarm chaffing too. Hopefully its going away for ya. What a great job you did on a hot day and from the sounds of it a tough course. You are amazing. Any thoughts of an ironman ?

Way to go, Jill.

2007-10-10 9:14 AM

great race! Under 7 hours on that day for your first HIM is awesome!
2007-10-10 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Congrats on completing your first HIM. There is no doubt that the conditions were tough out there. Great race out there and again congrats on completeing your first HIM!!!!
2007-10-10 12:48 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!  Congratulations on your first HIM!!  You rocked that course!  Nicely done, dealing with the stress, family, weather and chafing issues!!

And I like your "I'd change the weather" remark... when you figure out how to do that, let me know!

2007-10-10 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job!!
2007-10-10 8:05 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

"GO JILL!!"

Heh... that was me. Or Shaun. Actually I'm pretty sure it was both of us, and possibly a few T3 people that heard us yelling and started yelling too. I think they were surprised how many people we knew that were racing, especially since I'd just finished saying I live in a town that has maybe a half dozen triathletes. Gotta love BT.

GREAT race Sunday!!

2007-10-11 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race Jill!  You did very well on a tough course with tough conditions.

Congrats!

2007-10-11 11:36 AM

User image

, Texas
Great race Jill, but I'm not sure how many friends you're going to make admiting your swim training You looked great at the hotel pool after the race. I think I'd have been passed out.
2007-10-11 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Great job!!!  Sounds like you had your hands full!  Well done keeping it together on such a hot, challenging course!
2007-10-11 3:25 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
WAY TO GO JILL!  Nice work.   Great report too!  LOL on the body glide and sunscreen.  It's a long time to be out on HIM courses, and yeah, sunscreen is a great thing!  I've learned that lesson too   You did great and should be proud! 
2007-10-11 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Jill! It was great to meet you over the weekend and to see you on the course! You did a fantastic job!!!

I definately agree with you...leave the kids at home next time! I don't think I'd be able to function being out of town with them and doing a HIM. Thank God our kids were at "Camp Grandma Grandpa" for the weekend.

2007-10-11 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on your 1st HIM Jill.  You rocked it!
2007-10-12 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice job out there.  Congratulations on a great race.

TJ

2007-10-15 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Way to go, Jill! Great job on meeting your goal time of under 7 hours!

I enjoyed running with you at the end! You looked strong the entire time! It was great getting to see you and Doug again.

I also definitely recommend leaving the kiddos at home! Raegan and I enjoyed our kid=free weekend! Hope to see y'all again soon at future events!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed