83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 43m 23s
Overall Rank = 1480/1787
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 232/249
Pre-race routine:

For everyone who ever had a dream.....

When I was a kid I had all sorts of crazy dreams, scoring the winning basket at the Final Four, hitting a ball over the Green Monster, Throwing a touchdown pass to win the Super Bowl. However reality came along and made sure those dreams would remain just that. But I was part of a most fortunate generation that got to watch this sport of triathlon come into being and grow. I remember watching Julie Moss in 1982 on ABC Wide World of Sports and asking myself why would and how could someone push themselves to the point their body was shuting down just to reach a line on Alii Drive. At that point a dream was born, I watched Dave Scott (who lived a few towns down the freeway from where I went to High School) and found a hero. I watched Dave and Mark Allen battle, met a guy named Mike Pigg, but then my dream went on hold for 14 years as I "grew up" joined the Navy, started a family, got out of the Navy. But every year in December, I would watch the NBC Kona Special and the dream would be rekindled. New heros emerged Chris S., Sara Reinhart, Jon Blaze and I started down the path of chasing that dream again. In Nov 2006, I became an Ironman at Ironman Florida, and I thought that was as close to the dream as I'd ever come. But fate has a funny way of helping you out and on April 15, 2007 I saw my name on the list of Kona lottery winners. Dreams can come true!

The whole family was in on this trip, can't go to Hawaii alone, so the week before the race we flew out. Spent the week trying to take it easy, did a Sub tour of Kona harbor, some light snorkling, swam the course, ran a little bit and drove the course. It was amazing watching those incredible atheletes flying up and down the Queen K. Picked up my bike on Thrusday and then did the welcome banquet Thrusday, checked my bike in Friday and tried to stay sane. Went to sleep at 7:45 pm Friday and had the alarm set for 4:00am but was awake at 2:45am. It was time to go.

Event warmup:

Ate some breakfast Crackin Oat Bran, Bananna, and a PowerBar, drove down checked my bags in and waited. Got in the water after the pros went off and floated out to the starting line and looked at the fish.
Swim
  • 1h 19m 32s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was one of my main concerns going in, with so many people, deep water, and the fact that everyone was fast (even the 60 year olds) I was ready to get beatten, banged, and swam over. But surprise the swim turned out well. There were large clumps of swimmers on the far right and left but not a whole lot in the middle, so I went to the middle and stayed back and it worked great. I had some space, got right into a good rhythm early and the contact was pretty minimal (for a mass start with 1600 age groupers) Navigation was no problem just follow the hats, I ended up right on the buoy line most of the way out. Only real issue was when people cut me off and the fact that my right goggle was leaking. I was nice and smooth and very relaxed and even found myself passing people. Getting to the turn, you go around a large sailboat filled with onlookers, then go about 100 yards into the swells before making the turn back ( my split at the turn for home was 36:17.) The way back, I locked into a nice group and held pace with them even doing some drafting. I did get swam over a couple of times on the way back in but it just threw me off my rhythm for a bit each time. Next thing you know the cool fish are back below you (the water was bathtub temp and crystal clear-awesome) and I was coming down the side of the pier and it was time to stand up and get out. A very good swim for me, great way to set the table.
What would you do differently?:

Only thing was the leaking goggles, got the left side sealed which had been the problem side and my swim cap actually start to feel like it wanted to come off so I had to yank that down mid swim, but all in all it was a great swim and alot of fun.
Transition 1
  • 06m 24s
Comments:

Ironman transitions are so different. Come up the pier, get my glasses and ring at the glasses table, run to the showers (hoses) get your bike bag handed to you then get the the changing tent. Unlike Florida, there was alot of room, so I towelled off my feet put my sock and bike shoes on, loaded up my gels and electrolytes, and headed off. Even had someone helping to dump and stuff the stuff back into my bag. Got a double barrel spray of sunscreen on the pier(though they missed a spot) and trompped around to the bike put on my helmet and headed out. Took my time walking with the bike shoes (long trot) and clipped in and went. Much better transition than Flordia. No wetsuit always helps too!

Nothing went well
Bike
  • 7h 06m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.76 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike what an adventure. You start and do a quick loop around Kona and down Palani and then do a quick out and back of about 5 miles. Right off the bat I wanted to find a easy gear and stay smooth, but I found on the hills 11th, and 12th gears felt easy and I was actually passing people. This continued up Palani (one of the steepest sections on the course) and up onto the Queen K. It seemed to me that you were climbing or decending all day, then only nice flat stretches were out near Waikloa Village, the rest of the time climb, climb ,climb, decend, reapeat. I got into a nice rhythm and made sure I stayed within myself. I wasn't exactly tearing up the hills but I was holding my own and not putting too much pressure on my legs. Unfortunately, I got to see Natasha Badman and Michelle Jones on the side of the road early on. Natasha crashed and tried to go on but her bike was distroyed. As we forged on I caught on to a small group of people (so they were 55 and 57 years old) and we kept passing each other periodically. I catch them on the hills, they would get me on the flats and downhills. It was fun and we stuck up a bit of a conversation. We stayed together until the climb to Hawi. The climb has a series of pre-amble hills and then finally just hits you with about 3-4 miles of steady climbing. I stayed in 11th gear and worked my way up slow but steady. The winds started to blow at this point (an evil cross wind) which just made it that much more interesting. Chug, chug ,chug, get blown sideways, strighten up, keep chugging. I was about 9 mph when I finally reached the top, then its a quick downhill to the turnaround and then you hit special needs. Special needs was ugly. Get to where they have my bag, stop and I can't clip out. So I dive for the grass and made it. Got helped up and besides for a chain I had to put back on everything was ok mechnaically. However, my hammies really didn't appreciate that fiasco and let me know immediately. After getting everything together, I then proceeded to get my butt kicked trying to clip in going uphill. Not my finest hour. Nutritionally, I drank every couple miles and had a gel every 10 miles for the first 6 miles then relied on the aid stations for gels the rest of the way, Also took Endrolytes at Waikalo Village and at Special Needs after my spill. The ride down from Hawi was fun but my computer magnet must have gotten knocked cause it only worked a coulple of miles the rest of the way. But I couldn't really crank it up since my hamstrings kept coming really close to cramping. So I eased it back a bit, and monitored it the rest of the way. Had to go to the small ring on the climb from the Port to the Queen K (6 mph at that point) but after that I cruised in using lighter gears but staying in the big ring. Passed Tammy and the boys at Waikoloa and that was good to see. The wind really kicked up coming back and that just made it that much more of a challenge, but I stayed positive and hung in there. We made it back to town and got to see the fast runners including the female leaders coming out of the natural Energy Lab. Really lost focus those last 5 miles but at that point you know the hardest part is done. Came back the way we started and down Palani to transition. Mission Accomplished.

Beside not reupping my membership in the club at special needs, it really was a good ride. Most people I talked to afterwards rode 45 min to an hour slower than they did qualifying. That and only 1 AG record was topped. So given the course (a heck of alot tougher than my only other Ironman ride) and the conditions, I think I came thru OK.
Transition 2
  • 09m 13s
Comments:

Handed my bike off to a volunteer and walked my way around transition. Visited the Porta Potty before grabbing my bag and getting changed. I decided not to change my jersey so I changed socks, lathered my feet in body glide(I had a nice red hot spot on my right foot which never grew to a blister even though my feet were soaked by mile 2. Body glide is really awesome stuff), and pulled on my shoes. I grabbed my hat, ate a gel, and took my electrolye tablets and grab a few for the run. Got sunscreened, stopped at the aid station for a drink and ice and started off.

I wasn't in a hurry, but maybe take my bike shoes off at start of transition since tranversing around T2 in bike shoes wasn't quick or comfortable (last part is very important), but if I haven't already said it Body Glide is the stuff!! Saved my day.
Run
  • 5h 01m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was very scary starting out, I felt I had gotten behind on my nutrition, and that hot spot on my foot really concerned me, then my feet get wet from the hoses and sponges and ice I put down my suit. But again, in an Ironman you always need to stay in the moment and chase those bad thoughts out of your head right away. I was able to do that. My legs felt good pretty quickly and the people on Alii drive were awesome. They had race programs and looked up your name and started calling it out to you and encouraging you. That was such great support right when I needed it most. I got going and just found a nice easy pace a went with it. Every aid station I put a sponge on the back on my neck and one down the front of the jersey and drank gatorade and water. Had a Gu a mile 1, 4, 8, and 11. I just fed off the positive energy and enjoyed the moment. Then you pass close to the finish line but head out and up Palani to the Queen K where the real fun begins. I got up Palani well and coasted down the back side then started the long journey to the Energy lab. The sun set between miles 13 and 14 and let me tell you it get dark fast. Got my glow stick at mile 14 and took a porta potty break at mile 15. That was a very good move. Started drinking cola coming out of the potta pottie and finally at mile 16 the chicken broth arrived. That was my staple the rest of the way cola, broth, sponges. The climb to the energy lab is about 2+ miles and felt alot bigger than the energy lab hill, it just kept going and going and the road gets dark (except when you are blinded by cars headlights). I was very paranoid about steping off the edge of the pavement and twisting an ankle. But me and the other late night crew kept cruising along. Into the energy Lab, it is amazing how dark and quiet that stretch was. You cound hear the beeps from the mat at turn around a good half mile away. At mile 19, you hit the Ford Inspiration Station and was supposed to get a message from Tammy and the boys but a generic message popped up. Oh well. Back onto the Queen K and I really enjoyed the 2 mile downhill stretch taking me to mile 21. The aid stations were having a great time, and it was hard not to get swept up in the sprite. 35K, I still feel about the same as the start, 23 miles, the lights are starting to get brighter. Mile 24, someone says two more hills and your done(I guess that was motivational but I didn't want to hear it) But for true motivation just before heading up Palani, I see two alternating flashing lights coming towards me. Its Scott Rigsby, a double leg amputee, headed out onto the Queen K. I cheered him on. Now it was up the backside of Palani one last time (knocked over a cone and nearly ate the pavement at the top cause the light distroy your night vision) Now you are headed down Palani to mile 25 thru the last Aid station. Now you know you made it. The crowds which have been gone the last 15 miles are back in force and the closer you get to Alii Drive the bigger they get. Everyone is cheering you, you turn down and then one last turn onto Alii drive. Its magical. Suddenly you are flying down Alii, the positive vibe from the crowd and most importantly your fellow atheletes has you walking on air. These people understand and appricate what you have gone thru the last 13 hours. They don't care if you are a lottery winner and didn't qualify, they know whats going thru your head at this moment. Pure unadulterate joy. Your dream is 300 yards away. You enter the shoot and start going from side to side giving high 5s. And there is Mike Riley. Then you hear it "Andrew Rosebrook from Royersford PA....You are an Ironman!!!"

Nothing. Could I have gone faster, maybe but I am so glad I was able to experience that run. The wheels didn't fall off and this course is so much harder than IMFL (pancake), so even though it was 10 minute slower, i was really proud of the effort.
Post race
Warm down:

My catchers guided me off stage and lead my to my second helper who led me over to to food and medel tent. Tammy and the Boys were there and I got a hug and a Lei from Tammy and Matthew tried to take a picture. Got a drink, my medal, my T-shirt, and got passed off to Tammy. Grabbed some pizza and ice cream, but found I just couldn't eat that much. Took a solo and family finishers picture, then gather up my stuff with my families help and hobbled up to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, wind, humidity, hills but despite the times the effort was great and I really couldn't have done that much better on this day. Very, very happy with my race and most importantly, I realized a dream.

Event comments:

Come on we are talking about Kona, the Ford Ironman World Championships here. Everything was first class and top rate. The volunteers are amazing, the crowd is awesome, and just being around the top triatheltes in the world is an honor. That and they are such cool, down to earth people. I lived the dream!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:32 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 214/249
Overall: 1316/1787
Performance: Good
Suit: Javelin Tri Suit
Course: Deep water start with 1600 off your closest friends. 12 bouys down go around the sailboat and the Ford bouy and 12 bouys back, go to the end of the pier and get out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:24
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:06:22 | 112 miles | 15.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 237/249
Overall: 1527/1787
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A short loop in town then back up Palani rd to the Queen K and then thru the lava fields to Rt270 then the ride around the North side of the Island and the climb to Hawi. Turn around at Hawi and come back to Kona. Wind was calm early but was stronger in the afeternoon, cross wind to and from Hawi and in your face on the way in. Rolling hills the whole way with 1 long climb to Hawi.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:01:59 | 26.2 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 231/249
Overall: 1453/1787
Course: A relatively flat out and back on Alii Drive for 10 miles then up Palani to the Queen K to the Natural Energy Lab (long hill) into the Natural Energy lab to the turn around and back. Finish come down Palani then go away from the finish then down to Alii Drive and straight to the crowd, the noise, and the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-16 5:13 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Ford Ironman World Championship

2007-10-16 5:35 AM
in reply to: #1009747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman World Championship
Incredible.
2007-10-16 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Congratulations!!!! Great report as well. Someday I hope to realize that same dream, so it's terrific to hear from someone who's done it. Thanks!!
2007-10-16 6:17 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Congratulations on living the dream... and living it strongly!!  Really enjoyed reading your RR.
2007-10-16 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

Awesome report.  Congratulations!

Good to see a Philly area person @ Kona.

2007-10-16 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Awesome! Great race report! What an incredible accomplishment!

2007-10-16 8:36 AM

Champion
No excuses!
Great race and report, way to go!!
2007-10-16 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Good work, man. You're a true inspiration!!!
2007-10-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1009885

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Great report and sounds like an awesome experience!  You did the race for all the right reasons and just enjoyed yourself which is what it is all about!

You are truly an Ironman!!

2007-10-16 9:12 AM

Online or Offline
Great RR - I especially enjoyed reading the Pre Race stuff! Congrats on being part of something so special!
2007-10-16 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Again, great job! Sounds like an awesome day - the way we all would like to have it go at the Big Show. Congratulations!

2007-10-16 11:00 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

But the dream was TRUE!!  Great job!

YOU ARE A WORLD CHAMPION IRONMAN!! 

2007-10-16 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Congratulations on realizing your dream! Great race report, thanks for sharing!
2007-10-16 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Congratulations on realizing your dream! And thanks for sharing it with the rest of us, great rr!
2007-10-16 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
wow-- congratulations! and what a great RR!
2007-10-16 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Awesome.

Cresting that last hill up Palani is a great feeling.  Topped only by the feeling you get rounding that last corner onto Ali'i and seeing that huge banyan tree and the finish line. 

Savor that moment forever. 

2007-10-16 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CONGRATS IRONMAN........I LOVE READING THESE THINGS......
2007-10-16 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Awesome race report! I felt like I was right there watching the whole thing. What a wonderful experience! Congrats on such a great race!
2007-10-16 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Austin, Tejas
What an amazing experience. Congratulations on a lifetime accomplishment!!!
2007-10-16 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Thank you.  What an amazing experience!
2007-10-16 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Congrats on a great race.

2007-10-16 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
WOW! What a fun race report to read. I felt like I was with you the entire way. Great Job Ironman.
2007-10-16 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great RR - really enjoyed reading it. Congratulations on finishing on the biggest stage out there!
2007-10-16 3:10 PM

Veteran
Andy,
Thanks for taking the time to write your race report so quickly! And beautifully, I might add.
I had tears streaming down my face. You really made me feel like I was there.
On behalf of all of us at BT (and I'm the head cheerleader), congratulations on a job well-done.
Rhonda
2007-10-16 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Thanks for writing a great RR. Congrats!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman World Championship Rss Feed  

of 2