BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-19 11:59 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Did my first "faster" run since last June this morning.  Mile fast (for my current fitness) off the bike then two hill reps, followed by a couple miles of easy hills.

Felt great and terrible at the same time... how I've missed that.    All systems go (ribs still sore, so not swimming yet, but running seems OK now, plus the usual aches and pains of an oldster).

Have a local 5k (Life is Good in the 'Wood, Rollingwood 5k - course goes right by our new place) this Friday night.  Haven't decided if I'll jog/walk with the kids or see what my 5k fitness currently is then loop back and finish with the kids.  Not sure I want to know. 

And I'll echo my Strava sentiments here - CONGRATS JANYNE (and honorary pod-mate SPUDMOM)!  Wish we were there for the race to have cheered you on in person.

Matt

2016-04-19 12:56 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Did my first "faster" run since last June this morning.  Mile fast (for my current fitness) off the bike then two hill reps, followed by a couple miles of easy hills.

Felt great and terrible at the same time... how I've missed that.    All systems go (ribs still sore, so not swimming yet, but running seems OK now, plus the usual aches and pains of an oldster).

Have a local 5k (Life is Good in the 'Wood, Rollingwood 5k - course goes right by our new place) this Friday night.  Haven't decided if I'll jog/walk with the kids or see what my 5k fitness currently is then loop back and finish with the kids.  Not sure I want to know. 

And I'll echo my Strava sentiments here - CONGRATS JANYNE (and honorary pod-mate SPUDMOM)!  Wish we were there for the race to have cheered you on in person.

Matt

Story of my life these days.

Glad you are (sorta) enjoying getting back at it.

2016-04-19 1:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Cypress, Texas
Kind of stranded at the house last two days because of the rain here in Houston. Went out for a Lunch Run, that turned more into a mud run. Had to alternate my route 5 times because I was running into water.

(20160419_112158.jpg)

(20160419_115234.jpg)

(20160419_115821.jpg)

(20160419_115125.jpg)

(20160419_115548.jpg)

(20160419_115640.jpg)

(20160419_115802.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160419_112158.jpg (58KB - 3 downloads)
20160419_115234.jpg (109KB - 4 downloads)
20160419_115821.jpg (87KB - 3 downloads)
20160419_115125.jpg (79KB - 4 downloads)
20160419_115548.jpg (67KB - 4 downloads)
20160419_115640.jpg (83KB - 3 downloads)
20160419_115802.jpg (102KB - 4 downloads)
2016-04-19 1:15 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by johnthecat Kind of stranded at the house last two days because of the rain here in Houston. Went out for a Lunch Run, that turned more into a mud run. Had to alternate my route 5 times because I was running into water.

Dang! that is a lot of water!

2016-04-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by johnthecat Kind of stranded at the house last two days because of the rain here in Houston. Went out for a Lunch Run, that turned more into a mud run. Had to alternate my route 5 times because I was running into water.

Crazy stuff! Pretty soggy over there. We're getting rain but not that much.

2016-04-19 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner

And we are in a drought!

2016-04-19 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Wow, that is a whole lot of water. Stay safe, all of you in that area!

2016-04-19 4:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Originally posted by cdban66

Wow, that is a whole lot of water. Stay safe, all of you in that area!

Wow, unbelievable! I'm sure it'll be back to 110 before you know it. I'm dreading the long TX summer.
2016-04-19 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by rrrunner

I hope it drys out soon.
2016-04-19 5:07 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

That sounds so inspiring! I am so happy for her Does she live far away from you?
Btw, I was actually thinking of you today, as today is the last day of tax season in US. Is it over for you too?
Unfortunately my mum and sisters live about 500 mile from me so I don't get to see them that often. I visits the town where they live probably 3 or 4 times a year for work so that's good.

In Australia the personal tax year runs from July to June but I work for a private company so that doesn't affect me and our company runs a January to December financial year so my flat out busy time is between November and April.

But I'm guessing that Randee is crawling out from a pile somewhere and breathing a big sigh of relief.
2016-04-19 5:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
This was my area yesterday. Luckily we're basically all dried out now. This is Ave D in Old Town Katy, normally one of the main arteries of the original city (now a huge suburb) but yesterday it was 2 feet deep and flowing like a river. It was crazy.

Drone shot (not mine) looking N towards our neighborhood.

Out front of our neighborhood

Gotta get your redneck on!

This is our street. When the heavy rains stopped Monday morning there was no standing water on our street, then the water just slowly rose all day without any additional rain. It definitely got a little scary.

Edited by Jet Black 2016-04-19 5:29 PM

2016-04-19 5:59 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

That ATV looks pretty fun.  Last picture reminds me of photos I've seen of the IM swim through the Woodlands.

2016-04-19 6:34 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

That ATV looks pretty fun.  Last picture reminds me of photos I've seen of the IM swim through the Woodlands.

Bwaahaaahaa!  Awesome...

And get your redneck on?  FTW

Happily, only minor flooding here in Austin.  Just a small puddle left in the parking lot left (and some happily full lakes).

Matt

2016-04-20 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Geez, send some of that rain here! Record-breaking drought in Vietnam and most of SE Asia. I ended up getting caught in the rain Friday morning in Singapore. The sky looked a bit dark when I headed out to run, but had kind of forgotten that liquid can fall from the sky, sometimes in a very violent manner in these parts. It has rained ONCE here in Saigon (for less than five minutes) since mid-November.

Thought we might be headed into rainy season when the humidity picked up a lot last week but now it is back to where it was the week before--dry heat and a bit cooler at night. Actually hope that can last another few weeks (sorry, farmers--I'm selfish sh....) as I can handle dry heat a lot better than humidity, especially for a long race.
2016-04-20 9:08 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black This was my area yesterday. Luckily we're basically all dried out now. This is Ave D in Old Town Katy, normally one of the main arteries of the original city (now a huge suburb) but yesterday it was 2 feet deep and flowing like a river. It was crazy. Drone shot (not mine) looking N towards our neighborhood.  Out front of our neighborhood  Gotta get your redneck on!  This is our street. When the heavy rains stopped Monday morning there was no standing water on our street, then the water just slowly rose all day without any additional rain. It definitely got a little scary.  
That is nuts! Awesome photos! meanwhile, it's nearly 90 here in Seattle...

2016-04-20 9:08 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Matt

Awesome Matt! 

2016-04-20 9:13 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Do any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races.

It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!
2016-04-20 9:32 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Cypress, Texas
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Do any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races.

It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!

Starting to rain again here. Will see what that does.
2016-04-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

The flood pics from our Texas manatees are just wow!  Hope things dry out quickly and without consequence, returning life to normal ASAP.  Stay safe.

McMatt - good to hear you are mostly back at it, mostly pain-free, aside from the normal pains.

2016-04-20 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by johnthecat
Originally posted by TXTriRook Do any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races. It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!
Starting to rain again here. Will see what that does.

Stay as dry as possible! 

Hi everyone - lots of stuff going on! 

I haven't been super dedicated with training lately - my DH is away in China until tomorrow night and i've been single-parenting/holding down the fort for two weeks. I caught a head-cold last week which was a big downer. I have a 10k race i've done many times. My PB for this course was last year at 50:03 - but i doubt i'll be anywhere near it this year. Oh what a difference a year makes ... it will be fun to get out nonetheless and i'll aim for 55 mins and a good fitness test. 

Things are ramping up for our reno. We're adding a second storey and digging out our basement to get more height (basically will be a whole new house) - we're going to get approvals for the first part with the city next week. Eeek! Lots of that is on my mind! 

2016-04-20 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Do any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races. It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!

I try to do strength training all year round.  I think it is important for women because of the threat of osteoporosis, but I also find it helpful in general and I like the way I feel when I do it.  I'm sure I'm not doing the kind of workouts you are doing, but, yes, I can feel the soreness/fatigue of strength workouts during swim/bike/run stuff.  I do try to be smart about things though, so I will keep my leg work for the days I have long/hard run, eg, run in the morning, leg stuff after work. The next day is either no run or an easier run.  During weeks that I have a race, I won't do any leg stuff after Tuesday.   As far as upper body strength, I'm not as careful with that, so my arms don't always feel the greatest when I swim.   

2016-04-20 9:59 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

When I ramped up the run volume (30-40 mpw), I had to drop lower body weights. Just couldn't handle it and was on the verge of being injured a couple of times. I still do upper body once a week, really just because I'm vain and am afraid of looking too skinny now. I don't think it helps my swim performance or anything, but who knows.

Once the IM is over I'm thinking about putting run on maintenance ~25 mpw, and focusing on the bike. I'll try adding back in light squats/deadlifts and see how it goes. But I'm a pretty firm believer that nothing gets you faster at running and biking than running and biking. If you can do some weights in addition, great. But not necessary.

If anything, just drop the weight so it doesn't stress you so much. Basically put the weights on maintenance.
2016-04-20 10:16 AM

User image

Originally posted by Jet Black

When I ramped up the run volume (30-40 mpw), I had to drop lower body weights. Just couldn't handle it and was on the verge of being injured a couple of times. I still do upper body once a week, really just because I'm vain and am afraid of looking too skinny now. I don't think it helps my swim performance or anything, but who knows.

Once the IM is over I'm thinking about putting run on maintenance ~25 mpw, and focusing on the bike. I'll try adding back in light squats/deadlifts and see how it goes. But I'm a pretty firm believer that nothing gets you faster at running and biking than running and biking. If you can do some weights in addition, great. But not necessary.

If anything, just drop the weight so it doesn't stress you so much. Basically put the weights on maintenance.

I was wondering if you were still fitting it in based on your training volume. I completely agree that in order to get faster you just need to do more of it. I try lift about once a week partially for vanity but more so because I'm hopeful it'll help keep me injury free and also strengthen the muscles that don't get as much use and potentially lead to better form and endurance. The week of a race I don't lift.
2016-04-20 10:18 AM

Master
Northern IL

Something to ask yourself with that is why you are lifting weights? Look at what you want to get out of it. Applies to about any activity, really. If you're really wanting to maximize effectiveness of what you're doing you'll want a better (or more specific) answer than something vague or generic like getting in shape or to be stronger. Although "fun to do" and "lifting heavy things" are still valid answers. Just going back to knowing why you're doing something.

I didn't lift at all for several years while strongly s/b/r focused. I had no maximal strength issues and generally found other methods more directly related to the activity for specific issues that came up. I could still pick up and more (tip over) anything around the house except the car. I wasn't battling for position in basketball or other sports anymore. I was healthy enough to do all the motions of s/b/r, just needed much more practice to do them better and more aerobic development to do them harder for longer. So keeping it up was getting in the way of what I wanted to do.

2016-04-20 12:25 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Looks like those of you in Houston can get some open-water practice in from your driveways! Stay safe and I hope the next round of rain passes you by.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.