BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 112

2016-03-30 10:16 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed

I don't know if I need help/advice or just a shoulder to cry on...

So I started this week with a whirlwind trip to the Keys.  Up Monday and out the door by 0600 (my time) arrived in Key West 2100 (their time), up at 0800 to meet up with the local agent then back on the plane at 1530 (their time) and home at 2100 (my time). Normally a whirlwind trip like that isn't a problem for me but this one was different. I was cold on the plane from ABQ to DFW but it kept getting worse and soon my stomach started complaining too. Don't know if it was chills or friggin A/C. When I got to Miami I was feeling pretty lousy and concerned about being able to work on Tuesday. Got in the car with the Miami agent for the trek to Key West. More A/C so I was still cold but not as bad and my stomach started to settle down. We stopped at a BK (her choice ) and I got a mango smoothie. When we got to the hotel in Key West I actually turned on the heat in my room! (You Floridians will understand what that means).  I was supposed to run an hour on Tuesday but I decided to let my body sleep and see how the morning went. Well I was up at 0630 but it was dark still (darn that southern location) so I didn't want to trip and hurt myself trying to run so I got ready and had breakfast in the Tiki bar .  I was feeling MUCH better. Got back in the car with the Floridian, still A/C but I wasn't as uncomfortable. Did what we needed to do and headed to the airport. Once I got in to the airport the chills started again, to the point of visible shivering.  By the time I got home I was feeling lousy again.  A good nights sleep MOSTLY fixed it again, but I'm light headed today. I've never experienced this before and fly, a lot. So I don't know if I'm coming down with something, or if it was the overzealous A/C, not enough water. And now the dizziness could be the fact that I barely ate the last couple days (which is quite a shame considering where I was).

I'm supposed to run an hour today. That may or may not happen.

All of this would be no big deal IF I WEREN'T RUNNING 32 MILES ON SATURDAY.

At this point I plan to write up my report (at work) and go home and rest.

2016-03-30 10:29 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Today I'm extra glad for my standing desk.  My hips are just a bit grumpy after last nights run, so it feels wonderful to be able to stand whenever I want and stretch/shift my weight around to help them feel better.  Sitting all day would surely not help.  I've spent the majority of the morning standing, ahh!

Melanie I'm glad you posted this as I was just thinking about you and your stand up desk this morning and wondering how you like it.  Sounds like it is a hit!

2016-03-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Manatees, it looks like you had a great weekend or have plans for the start of your tri season which is great. Steve it's great to see you back and that you have been able to start running again. Sorry that I have been AWOL for a bit. It's been mega crazy at work but I finally have that magic signed off audit report, so now I can forget about 2015 and start work on 2016. We have our annual church convention over Easter and as I am a church employee that means I get to work the entire weekend. But I now have the rest of this week off in lieu of working so that is great. K and I are doing a 10k on Sunday, thankfully I am doing it with K cause I haven't been training but really her run speed is slow enough that I think I will cope ok despite the no training as I can pretty much keep up with her doing a fast walk (but I don't do that cause it would be horrible for her). The last of the tri series I entered is scheduled for the following weekend, but I am thinking of not doing it. I already missed 3 of the 5 due to my back issues and I haven't been swimming. It's also forecast to be cold and raining. Might see how I am after the run this weekend, the swim would most likely be wetsuit legal given the forecast temp which would make it better.

Glad things have settled down for you!  I'm also happy that you and K are doing a race together. Time for her to get a taste of it!  Waiting til after your race and assessing things sounds like the smart decision for that tri. 

2016-03-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

So I started this week with a whirlwind trip to the Keys.  Up Monday and out the door by 0600 (my time) arrived in Key West 2100 (their time), up at 0800 to meet up with the local agent then back on the plane at 1530 (their time) and home at 2100 (my time). Normally a whirlwind trip like that isn't a problem for me but this one was different. I was cold on the plane from ABQ to DFW but it kept getting worse and soon my stomach started complaining too. Don't know if it was chills or friggin A/C. When I got to Miami I was feeling pretty lousy and concerned about being able to work on Tuesday. Got in the car with the Miami agent for the trek to Key West. More A/C so I was still cold but not as bad and my stomach started to settle down. We stopped at a BK (her choice ) and I got a mango smoothie. When we got to the hotel in Key West I actually turned on the heat in my room! (You Floridians will understand what that means).  I was supposed to run an hour on Tuesday but I decided to let my body sleep and see how the morning went. Well I was up at 0630 but it was dark still (darn that southern location) so I didn't want to trip and hurt myself trying to run so I got ready and had breakfast in the Tiki bar .  I was feeling MUCH better. Got back in the car with the Floridian, still A/C but I wasn't as uncomfortable. Did what we needed to do and headed to the airport. Once I got in to the airport the chills started again, to the point of visible shivering.  By the time I got home I was feeling lousy again.  A good nights sleep MOSTLY fixed it again, but I'm light headed today. I've never experienced this before and fly, a lot. So I don't know if I'm coming down with something, or if it was the overzealous A/C, not enough water. And now the dizziness could be the fact that I barely ate the last couple days (which is quite a shame considering where I was).

If I didn't know you were a LEO before, I do with all that military time!  No matter how long I work in the law enforcement field I still have to do the math in my head to figure out what time 2200 (or whatever) is!!   It was dark at 6:30 because of stupid daylight savings!!  Anyway, sorry you are feeling so badly and for you to have heat on this time of year in key west, you had to be feeling like crap.

At this point in your training I would not worry about running anymore before your ultra - you've done what you need to do and this little break could actually be the perfect taper.  Except for the feeling badly part.  Maybe get to the doctor and she what s/he says.  Otherwise, I'd drink plenty of fluids and try to get some carbs in too.  And rest.   I'm sorry this is happening so close to the big day and will keep my fingers it is just some 24-48 hr bug.  It may make you feel better to know that there is a 24-48 hr stomach bug going around here.  It's no fun, but people are recovering rather quickly.    

2016-03-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

If I didn't know you were a LEO before, I do with all that military time!  No matter how long I work in the law enforcement field I still have to do the math in my head to figure out what time 2200 (or whatever) is!!   It was dark at 6:30 because of stupid daylight savings!!  Anyway, sorry you are feeling so badly and for you to have heat on this time of year in key west, you had to be feeling like crap.

At this point in your training I would not worry about running anymore before your ultra - you've done what you need to do and this little break could actually be the perfect taper.  Except for the feeling badly part.  Maybe get to the doctor and she what s/he says.  Otherwise, I'd drink plenty of fluids and try to get some carbs in too.  And rest.   I'm sorry this is happening so close to the big day and will keep my fingers it is just some 24-48 hr bug.  It may make you feel better to know that there is a 24-48 hr stomach bug going around here.  It's no fun, but people are recovering rather quickly.    

The agent with whom I spent about 10 hours in the car had a cold, but I can't blame her. It started on the plane there!

2016-03-30 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

The agent with whom I spent about 10 hours in the car had a cold, but I can't blame her. It started on the plane there!

I think Hands is right. Rest, hydrate, Dr, etc. I hope that whatever it is has left you and recoverery is in sight. Sorry you couldn't enjoy our state more 

2016-03-30 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

No big advice. Just (((HUGS)))
2016-03-30 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by melbo55

Today I'm extra glad for my standing desk.  My hips are just a bit grumpy after last nights run, so it feels wonderful to be able to stand whenever I want and stretch/shift my weight around to help them feel better.  Sitting all day would surely not help.  I've spent the majority of the morning standing, ahh!

That sounds amazing! My boss is getting a standing desk for himself...something adjustable that goes on top of a regular desk, I think. I feel like this is the first step to getting to have one, too! My back would LOVE that.
2016-03-30 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm sorry to hear about this. For me, this would be a hydration issue more than anything else.  Take care, keep hydrating, sleep lots, hydrate some more.  Remember that the hay is in the barn.

2016-03-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

I'm sorry to hear about this. For me, this would be a hydration issue more than anything else.  Take care, keep hydrating, sleep lots, hydrate some more.  Remember that the hay is in the barn.

Yup, Ann-Marie, Chris and Janyne all have sound advice.  Hopefully it is just a minor sniggle set off by the airplane air and your whirlwind schedule.  Getting good rest, hydrating and eating right sound like great ideas.  And yeah, like Janyne said, the hay is in the barn.  Take care and take it easy.

2016-03-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I agree with all the advice given so far.  Funny thing about the week prior to a big race, I've had some of my best races after very miserable days preceeding.  More times than not your training will kick in and you will be just fine. 

Edited by popsracer 2016-03-30 12:59 PM

2016-03-30 1:08 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

down desk   up desk

desk down...............................................................................................................desk up!  Good desk!

2016-03-30 3:00 PM

User image

Master

In the week/few days before both my IMs, I was sure I was getting sick.  Headachy, dizzyish.  Neither time got sick. For me I think it was nerves.  As others have said, lots of rest, hydration and know that you can DOOOOOO EEEEEEET!

2016-03-30 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I hope that you are feeling better TJ.
2016-03-30 9:58 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I hope you feel better soon TJ. Could be multiple things, I hope it's just a simple cold, also could be a little bit of adrenal fatigue. Too much stress in short amount of time can wreak havoc on your body. I would definitely take it slow and not ignore the symptoms. Your body is designed to tell you when something is wrong. I'd highly advise to go to the doctor if any additional symptoms show up.

Other than the dizziness any other neurological symptoms?
2016-03-31 7:41 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Katy, Texas
I hope you're feeling better today TJ.

2016-03-31 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Thanks all for your concern and words of wisdom. I have been resting and drinking lots of water, and herbal tea. Last night was rough with a headache and night sweats (that could be my age, it happens occasionally). I've an appointment to see my doc later today. I have to go in to work for a bit to do month end reports because we leave for Moab tomorrow :0. But other than that I'll be taking it easy again today.

Edited by rrrunner 2016-03-31 8:36 AM
2016-03-31 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Thanks all for your concern and words of wisdom. I have been resting and drinking lots of water, and herbal tea. Last night was rough with a headache and night sweats (that could be my age, it happens occasionally). I've an appointment to see my doc later today. I have to go in to work for a bit to do month end reports because we leave for Moab tomorrow :0. But other than that I'll be taking it easy again today.

Sending good thoughts your way, and I hope the doc sets your mind at ease.
2016-03-31 9:17 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner Thanks all for your concern and words of wisdom. I have been resting and drinking lots of water, and herbal tea. Last night was rough with a headache and night sweats (that could be my age, it happens occasionally). I've an appointment to see my doc later today. I have to go in to work for a bit to do month end reports because we leave for Moab tomorrow :0. But other than that I'll be taking it easy again today.

Sending healthy, positive thoughts your way, hope all is well.  Take care!

2016-03-31 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TJ, continuing to think of you!

2016-03-31 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Hope you feel better soon TJ

2016-03-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
2016-03-31 10:44 AM

Master
Northern IL

What's going on with this?! 

Route for Ironman Texas race in limbo this year

Lots of people getting excited.

2016-03-31 11:33 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Ugh... sorry about the chills... I hope it is only your body responding to quick changes in temperatures plus time zone changes + some extra stress. I hope you're better by tomorrow!
2016-03-31 1:43 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

What's going on with this?! 

Route for Ironman Texas race in limbo this year

Lots of people getting excited.

I don't care what the bike course is, but it better be 112 miles and they better have the dang race!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 112

RELATED POSTS

Mentor Training by An Elite Triathlete for Draft legal/Age group t(Spr/Oly)

Started by younguntriguy
Views: 959 Posts: 1

2015-01-05 2:19 PM younguntriguy

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.