BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-08-12 9:41 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by Hot Runner The guy who owns the bike shop that services Andreas told me they have been having a record year for sales so far....Tons of people getting into cycling who did other kinds of exercise before, parents getting bikes for kids, people who don't want to drive to work commuting by bike, etc.

Yeah, no one has bikes or bike parts. Many of the shops in my area have a two week wait for service. A friend of mine crashed her bike and had to wait more than two months for the new one. It's nuts.

I'm having a hard time finding TUBES!!

Seems like a good excuse to go tubeless!

Kevin is going tubeless.  I'll let him test the waters for the household.

My aspero is tubeless ready, so I'm interested to hear Kevin's thoughts!

I'm actually surprised that Kevin hasn't made that jump yet. The benefits of tubeless for a MTB or gravel bike are pretty good. Less prone to pinch flats and a cushier ride, both of which make it fairly nice. The cons to me are setup (since you need a higher volume air pump), mess, and maintenance. That said, I haven't gone tubeless at this point, so anything I mention is anecdotal at best.

New bike = new set up

Cool, what is it????

Orange.

Oh, you probably meant the model!  Yeti SB140.

2020-08-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Our (indoor) school pool in Vietnam was always being closed "due to weather". My understanding is that if you have a proper lightning rod on the roof, the chance of there being an issue is pretty close to zero. That being said, we did have a lot of violent thunderstorms and plenty of nearby lightning strikes so trying to swim in one would be pretty disconcerting. For 5-6 months a year, many of my swims included keeping a wary eye on an ever-darkening sky that I could just see a little piece of out the back door, wondering if it was getting dark because it was getting late, because a storm was approaching, or both. Plus hurrying to get as much of the workout in as possible before I had to get out, for a while or for good, due to thunder/lightning. (We had to wait for 20 minutes of no thunder/ lightning; if it got to within 20 minutes of the end of pool time, the lifeguard would just lock up the pool and leave. It wasn't at all uncommon to only get in 200-300m before having to get out, or have to get out with only 100-200m to go! I don't miss those days. But now it is the 60-minute limit--no matter what I do, haven't been able to get past 2800-2900m workout (because that hour includes getting into the facility and the water, plus any rest intervals). Ugh! I have never appreciated open water swimming more!

2020-08-12 5:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Our (indoor) school pool in Vietnam was always being closed "due to weather". My understanding is that if you have a proper lightning rod on the roof, the chance of there being an issue is pretty close to zero. That being said, we did have a lot of violent thunderstorms and plenty of nearby lightning strikes so trying to swim in one would be pretty disconcerting. For 5-6 months a year, many of my swims included keeping a wary eye on an ever-darkening sky that I could just see a little piece of out the back door, wondering if it was getting dark because it was getting late, because a storm was approaching, or both. Plus hurrying to get as much of the workout in as possible before I had to get out, for a while or for good, due to thunder/lightning. (We had to wait for 20 minutes of no thunder/ lightning; if it got to within 20 minutes of the end of pool time, the lifeguard would just lock up the pool and leave. It wasn't at all uncommon to only get in 200-300m before having to get out, or have to get out with only 100-200m to go! I don't miss those days. But now it is the 60-minute limit--no matter what I do, haven't been able to get past 2800-2900m workout (because that hour includes getting into the facility and the water, plus any rest intervals). Ugh! I have never appreciated open water swimming more!

I believe there are national standards that govern the closing of pools when there is lighting. Even though the pool is indoors or may have a lightning rod, pools are connected to a much larger surface area via underground water pipes, gas lines, electric and telephone wiring, etc. Lightning strikes to the ground anywhere on this metallic network may induce shocks elsewhere.

2020-08-13 6:12 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So yesterday I had an opportunity to take a lunch ride, which was a bit of a discovery mission. Gravel biking to the core. There is a piece of State Preserve land that was originally slated for housing. This means that roads were cut, but never truly built out and are now grown over. We've been looking at it for opportunities to create a multi surface loop. Today that discovery continues. However, the piece I want to share is that the gravel bike was absolutely the tool for this job. Grass trails, no problem. Abandoned crushed shell golf cart paths, no problem. Double track of packed dirt and soft sand, a bit of a challenge. Roads that connected it all up, yeah 19.5 MPH with little effort.  

Now for the bad part. I got home, put the bike on my garage rack and went inside. 4 hours later, I went back out and the front tire was flat. I believe I pinch flatted it when I threw it on the rack. This wouldn't have happened if I had gone tubeless. My rims are not tubeless compatible, so I have some tire maintenance tonight.

So, long story short (too late) gravel bikes are the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Tubeless is good.

2020-08-13 6:24 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

So yesterday I had an opportunity to take a lunch ride, which was a bit of a discovery mission. Gravel biking to the core. There is a piece of State Preserve land that was originally slated for housing. This means that roads were cut, but never truly built out and are now grown over. We've been looking at it for opportunities to create a multi surface loop. Today that discovery continues. However, the piece I want to share is that the gravel bike was absolutely the tool for this job. Grass trails, no problem. Abandoned crushed shell golf cart paths, no problem. Double track of packed dirt and soft sand, a bit of a challenge. Roads that connected it all up, yeah 19.5 MPH with little effort.  

Now for the bad part. I got home, put the bike on my garage rack and went inside. 4 hours later, I went back out and the front tire was flat. I believe I pinch flatted it when I threw it on the rack. This wouldn't have happened if I had gone tubeless. My rims are not tubeless compatible, so I have some tire maintenance tonight.

So, long story short (too late) gravel bikes are the Swiss Army knife of bikes. Tubeless is good.

I really need to bite the bullet and go tubeless. I think my lack of knowledge about what that really entails keeps me from doing it.

2020-08-13 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I really need to bite the bullet and go tubeless. I think my lack of knowledge about what that really entails keeps me from doing it.

Kevin is getting a lesson on sealant, plugs, and bacon. I'm sure that some Manatees can give us the low down.  If no one chimes in, I'll ask Kevin to share his notes with us.

X

2020-08-13 7:29 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Kevin is getting a lesson on sealant, plugs, and bacon. I'm sure that some Manatees can give us the low down.  If no one chimes in, I'll ask Kevin to share his notes with us.

X

If i have to eat bacon to go tubeless i'll have to stick with tubes or I'll be kicked out of the vegetarian club

2020-08-13 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

X

If i have to eat bacon to go tubeless i'll have to stick with tubes or I'll be kicked out of the vegetarian club

LOL, bacon is the nickname for plugs. I'm not tubeless although I have fought with a tubeless setup as a test, which failed due to a lack of equipment on my part. No high volume pump for seating and no adapter plugs for my non-tubeless ready rime. It was an experiment destined to fail 

2020-08-13 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

X

thanks for asking about the bacon. I know so very little about bicycles that i was unsure if this was a thing.

User image

Champion
Bronze member

X

thanks for asking about the bacon. I know so very little about bicycles that i was unsure if this was a thing.

User image

Champion
Bronze member

X

2020-08-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Pennsylvania

The gravel bike envy/lust continues to grow...

Thankfully I've already decided it will be a next season purchase which works out great with the national bike shortage.  A couple local shops have a couple options but they don't last long on the showroom floor.

2020-08-14 8:56 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I believe there are national standards that govern the closing of pools when there is lighting. Even though the pool is indoors or may have a lightning rod, pools are connected to a much larger surface area via underground water pipes, gas lines, electric and telephone wiring, etc. Lightning strikes to the ground anywhere on this metallic network may induce shocks elsewhere.

So I was curious about this so I went searching and this is what I found.  When Lightning Strikes by Tom & Matthew Griffiths 

I know that research isn't complete without reading a minimum of three references, and I only read one, but this article said that indoor pools should never close for weather.  By the numbers, they sited 60 pool electrocutions over 13 years of national data and none of them were due to electrical storms.  The article also sites a single year lighting strike statistic where 44 out 45 people who were hit by lightning were outdoors. The most interesting thing was this that they quote someone stating that closing indoor pools due to electrical storms is in direct violations of the National Electric Code section 250.4(A)(1) and that closures would be subject to regulatory enforcement.  So...article number one denies any regulations requiring pool closures and found a standard that actually requires that the pool not close for electrical storms.  These guys feel that urban legends and false information are the reason that indoor pool close.  Two more articles to go.  I am guessing that there is an article somewhere out there that is equally compelling for closing indoor pools during electrical storms.  I like the data that these guys brought into their article though.  Zero accounts of indoor pool electrocutions due to lightning and 98% of all lightning strikes being outdoors.  

2020-08-14 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

So I was curious about this so I went searching and this is what I found.  When Lightning Strikes by Tom & Matthew Griffiths 

I know that research isn't complete without reading a minimum of three references, and I only read one, but this article said that indoor pools should never close for weather.  By the numbers, they sited 60 pool electrocutions over 13 years of national data and none of them were due to electrical storms.  The article also sites a single year lighting strike statistic where 44 out 45 people who were hit by lightning were outdoors. The most interesting thing was this that they quote someone stating that closing indoor pools due to electrical storms is in direct violations of the National Electric Code section 250.4(A)(1) and that closures would be subject to regulatory enforcement.  So...article number one denies any regulations requiring pool closures and found a standard that actually requires that the pool not close for electrical storms.  These guys feel that urban legends and false information are the reason that indoor pool close.  Two more articles to go.  I am guessing that there is an article somewhere out there that is equally compelling for closing indoor pools during electrical storms.  I like the data that these guys brought into their article though.  Zero accounts of indoor pool electrocutions due to lightning and 98% of all lightning strikes being outdoors. 

I was told that it had to do with insurance.

2020-08-14 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Interesting. Although if pools are closing for lightning then i wouldn't expect any electrocutions! I wonder how many people are put in danger when the pool closes and they are sent out into the lightning? 

2020-08-14 11:44 AM

I found it somewhat baffling that you could be struck by lightning while indoors. Found this article though:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/03/how-a-man-was-struck-by-lightning-in...

Crazy.

2020-08-14 2:26 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually the only electrocution incidents indoors that I have heard about have been with pool vacuums--defective and maybe discharged electricity into the water. I always stayed out when our lifeguard was doing that, just in case! (He did not make me get out though, would have been happy to vacuum around me!) Outdoors, there have been incidents with electrical shocks from boats. And I'm sure OWS in a thunderstorm is a pretty dumb idea.
2020-08-17 9:54 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Hot Runner ...And I'm sure OWS in a thunderstorm is a pretty dumb idea.

LOL...well an OWS is my only alternative when the pool is closed for the weather. ;-) But, no I am not dumb enough to swim outdoors in a storm. Running on the indoor track with a mask on seemed like a more reasonable option than driving 40 minutes to the lake to swim in the rain. 

The frustrating thing is that the indoor pool has been closed 2-3 times "for the weather" and none of them were any worst than the 3 races I have been to when it was raining.   

My first race in the rain went on right on schedule with no changes to the race.  It was 55 deg F outside, due to the rain, and the water was 65 deg F.  The bike ride in the rain sucked.  The swim wasn't bad at all and we would have rather stayed in the water than get on the bike. There was a 6-7 mile downhill portion on the bike course and going 35-40 MPH for 10-12 minutes when I was soaking wet froze me half to death.

The second race I went to in the rain modified the swim course because the high winds were blowing away some of the buoys and after trying to reset them multiple times they just used the ones that were staying in place and let the others blow down to the damn.  It cut the swim on a 70.3 race down to about 1300 yds.  That swim had waves on the water due to all the wind and was the wildest swim I have done.  Sometimes I would be starting a breath right as I was on the peak of on the swells and as my face would come up I would swell under me would collapse and I would fall smacking my face on the water at the bottom of the swell. 

The third race had us sit in the rain for 2-1/2 hours then started the race, but canceled the swim.  I was happy for the cancelation because my training had been inadequate to be ready for the race and I had just got my get out of jail free card.  Many were very disappointed in the swim cancelation and want to then to hold the swim in those conditions that we had.  

So... with our indoor pool closing in conditions that were no worse than what I had seen on race days I feel that closing the indoor pool could be avoided.  

2020-08-17 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In Oregon there is a whole lot of swimming in the rain much of the year! Fortunately, we rarely have thunderstorms. Mostly up in the mountains, late afternoons in summer, and a concern for hikers and climbers. Not sure others know, but quite a few outdoor pools here are (in a normal year) open year round. (Still not sure what's going on this year. #1 One of our two outdoor public pools in town is closed until at least March for renovation; the other one was supposed to stay open till then but I don't know about funding now and #2 If we have an uptick in Covid cases, which I'm anticipating we will once the university gets back in session in late September, we'll go back to an earlier stage of "reopening" with no gyms/pools again. I don't think Portland has had public pools open at all this summer.

Lots of people swim outdoors in winter despite the fact that, unlike California and other places that do this, we have real "winter" weather. Not as extreme as the Midwest, but overnight lows are usually in the 30's and sometimes dip below, lots of cold rainy days with temps in 40's, the occasional snow or ice storm. I have swum outside in temps down to 18 F, in the rain and (a few times) snow. They heat the pool to about 80 but.....it's very hard to stop, or get in or out! The real PITA here is hail. There's a time during the "transition" between our dry and wet season (May/June and September/October) when that is pretty common. It doesn't usually come with thunder or lightning, it just happens, usually sweeping in over the mountain south of town. Have been hailed or, or just missed being hailed on, numerous times on the run and swim. For some reason, though, never on the bike.
2020-08-17 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Proof of life post -- had a nice 9-day vacation in Colorado with DH and two of our friends. We were signed up to ride the SBT Gravel race, but of course like most other events, that was cancelled. So we just did our own thing and took both gravel and road bikes and had a great time exploring the area.

Regarding tubeless setup --- I've had nothing but positive experiences with it. One of the guys at the LBS gave me a mini-clinic two years ago on setup, more so that I could understand for myself what's involved. They use an air compressor to seat the tires. We also tried using a CO2 canister, but really the air compressor is the way to go. I'm very fortunate in that our LBS is only 2 blocks from our house and they are very helpful with little things that come up. I let them set up the tires and then top off the sealant about every 3 months, going in through the valve stem.
2020-08-17 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)!
#1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!)
#2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

(IMG_20200815_071802268_HDR.jpg)

(IMG_20200816_101922332_HDR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20200815_071802268_HDR.jpg (965KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_20200816_101922332_HDR.jpg (2440KB - 5 downloads)

2020-08-17 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Looks awesome, Karen! And happy birthday! 

2020-08-17 2:25 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Proof of life post -- had a nice 9-day vacation in Colorado with DH and two of our friends. We were signed up to ride the SBT Gravel race, but of course like most other events, that was cancelled. So we just did our own thing and took both gravel and road bikes and had a great time exploring the area. Regarding tubeless setup --- I've had nothing but positive experiences with it. One of the guys at the LBS gave me a mini-clinic two years ago on setup, more so that I could understand for myself what's involved. They use an air compressor to seat the tires. We also tried using a CO2 canister, but really the air compressor is the way to go. I'm very fortunate in that our LBS is only 2 blocks from our house and they are very helpful with little things that come up. I let them set up the tires and then top off the sealant about every 3 months, going in through the valve stem.

I've heard the compressor is the way to go.  Thanks for the intel and the confirmation about how to seat the tire.

2020-08-17 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)! #1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!) #2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

2020-08-17 4:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner A little eye candy from my birthday weekend, celebrated in triathlon style (well, sort of--no running)! #1 Waldo Lake, site of 5K + swim on Saturday (water was 64 degrees--definitely needed the wetsuit!) #2 Riding 51 miles on my 51st birthday (this wasn't intentional!). This is the far point of the out and back ride to an old covered bridge.

Nice pics, happy belated birthday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127