BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I can't really fully commit to a lot right now. But for the sake of "following the rules."

NAME: Adrienne
STORY: I run a lot
FAMILY STATUS: Partner, almost 8 years (Jen) 3 cats all grey, 1 pug blonde
CURRENT TRAINING: A periodized/seasonal running plan with marathon as the emphasis. Currently in week 2 of a 16 week marathon plan
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: A whole lotta (like 20?)
2013 RACES/EVENTS: a bunch of running races. Distances from the mile-marathon. Road, XC and track
BODY COMPOSITION: Always striving for the best composition for whatever my training focus is. Easier said than done.

Yaaaah! someone I know and I don't have to look up on my cheat sheet of names to BT ids. I printed it and even took notes:-)

Me too

Probably a good idea!  You guys are so smart, S-M-R-T, I mean, s-m-a-r-t!

Clearly I am not nearly that SMRT as it never even crossed my poor little pea brain that this might be a good idea.  DOH!  

So far my "notes" are limited to who has what type of dogs and cats....but it's a start

That pic of the Mastiffs just blew me away. The thought of walking that herd is just something else

I think I would get a border collie just to herd them

Edited by marcag 2014-01-09 4:53 PM

2014-01-09 5:03 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Okay - I obviously am having trouble figuring out this website. There is just so much going on! I was trying to reply to two specific posts directed toward me, but I think I just made a general post instead of replying? So I am thinking you need to hit the "quote" button if you want to reply to a particular post and then hit the "reply" button if you want to make a general post such as this one? Someone please help! Haha. I also had 2 notifications of "inspires" when I logged on earlier. What does that mean and how do I get back to it once I have navigated away from it?

I am usually not so technologically challenged, I promise!

Ashley
2014-01-09 5:05 PM
in reply to: awalden22

User image

Master
Originally posted by awalden22I hope you survived the winter storm we had this week! Wind chills at -30 to -40 is no fun at all! Plus a foot of snow...is it spring yet?!
So would it be horrible to bring up my 63º and sunny afternoon?
2014-01-09 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by awalden22Okay - I obviously am having trouble figuring out this website. There is just so much going on! I was trying to reply to two specific posts directed toward me, but I think I just made a general post instead of replying? So I am thinking you need to hit the "quote" button if you want to reply to a particular post and then hit the "reply" button if you want to make a general post such as this one? Someone please help! Haha. I also had 2 notifications of "inspires" when I logged on earlier. What does that mean and how do I get back to it once I have navigated away from it?I am usually not so technologically challenged, I promise! Ashley
You've got it. Quote to specifically respond....Reply for general thread. After initially viewing them, inspires show up in your log to the right of each day.
2014-01-09 5:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by awalden22 Okay - I obviously am having trouble figuring out this website. There is just so much going on! I was trying to reply to two specific posts directed toward me, but I think I just made a general post instead of replying? So I am thinking you need to hit the "quote" button if you want to reply to a particular post and then hit the "reply" button if you want to make a general post such as this one? Someone please help! Haha. I also had 2 notifications of "inspires" when I logged on earlier. What does that mean and how do I get back to it once I have navigated away from it? I am usually not so technologically challenged, I promise! Ashley

Out here, "Reply" will put up a post in Group thread. If you look across the top of the post, you'll see  "In reply to: ____" If you click on the name, your view will jump back to that post. So it is possible to follow the conversation that way. However, things can mover *really* fast here and it's much easier to follow using the Quote, as that will pull everything in the post an allow you to type in. Sometimes formatting can get a little goofy, so just make sure you scrolled all the way down past the last /QUOTE for typing your response. 

2014-01-09 5:29 PM

Master
Northern IL

I can't really fully commit to a lot right now. But for the sake of "following the rules."

CURRENT TRAINING: A periodized/seasonal running plan with marathon as the emphasis. Currently in week 2 of a 16 week marathon plan
2013 RACES/EVENTS: a bunch of running races. Distances from the mile-marathon. Road, XC and track
BODY COMPOSITION: Always striving for the best composition for whatever my training focus is. Easier said than done.

Yaaaah! someone I know and I don't have to look up on my cheat sheet of names to BT ids. I printed it and even took notes:-)

Huh?

And I hope you have an entire book case taken out for all the notes you'll need here. 

2014-01-09 5:56 PM

User image

Seattle

So this is probably perfect timing for me to be considering changing my username then?

I'm not going easy one ANYONE today

2014-01-09 5:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Me too

Clearly I am not nearly that SMRT as it never even crossed my poor little pea brain that this might be a good idea.  DOH!  

So far my "notes" are limited to who has what type of dogs and cats....but it's a start That pic of the Mastiffs just blew me away. The thought of walking that herd is just something else I think I would get a border collie just to herd them

We have a list of manatee bikes and jobs, maybe we need a list of manatee animals!

2014-01-09 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Artemis

I don't know, Kirsten.  I was having the same problem with the Ravenna before I stopped running in August, so those definitely need to go.

The Trance felt ok, but they just felt so heavy and like they were "too much" a lot of the time.  It's really frustrating.

Jen, you are tugging at my heart here. I have found shoes to be so very personal. I have tried a bit of everything and all I can say is that you'll find something, just keep after it. I know you are a Brooks fanatic, but have you tried any other brands? 

I have. I used Saucony for awhile, but I didn't like them in the long run. It's just really frustrating!

I was using the Saucony Guides for a while but I have found the Brooks Ghosts to be better for me overall.  I switched back to the Saucony (Rides this time) after the great orthotics debacle of 2012-2013 but I felt like I was wearing clown shoes.  I think that the Rides flared out a bit too much in the heel for me.  I went back to the Ghosts and so far so good (knock wood!).  Anyway, they have redesigned the Rides since I used them this time last year... 

Follow up questions:

• Can you were the Trances to work?  Bring another pair of shoes and do the two hours today, three hours tomorrow thing with them?
  • Can you return the Trances and talk to the running store about alternatives?
  • Do you have any kind of insert in them?  Superfeet, etc?

Jen, another thought I had while running this morning was that your foot changes, or at least mine has. I started with some NB's which were a good stability shoe. The Saucony Guide was next, and they had less stability then the NB's. Now I wear Asics 2170's and Tri Noosa's which seem closer to neutral then where I started. I occasionally put on a pair of Sauc Rides that I have as well, and those are neutral also. It may be time to head over to the Running Store and have them do some analysis, if that is possible.

Jen, here's a decent Saucony Guide 7 review that you might be interested in:  http://www.endurancemag.com/2013/12/gear-review-saucony-guide-7/

Edited by jmkizer 2014-01-09 6:06 PM
2014-01-09 6:13 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I don't know, Kirsten.  I was having the same problem with the Ravenna before I stopped running in August, so those definitely need to go.

The Trance felt ok, but they just felt so heavy and like they were "too much" a lot of the time.  It's really frustrating.

Jen, you are tugging at my heart here. I have found shoes to be so very personal. I have tried a bit of everything and all I can say is that you'll find something, just keep after it. I know you are a Brooks fanatic, but have you tried any other brands? 

I have. I used Saucony for awhile, but I didn't like them in the long run. It's just really frustrating!

I was using the Saucony Guides for a while but I have found the Brooks Ghosts to be better for me overall.  I switched back to the Saucony (Rides this time) after the great orthotics debacle of 2012-2013 but I felt like I was wearing clown shoes.  I think that the Rides flared out a bit too much in the heel for me.  I went back to the Ghosts and so far so good (knock wood!).  Anyway, they have redesigned the Rides since I used them this time last year... 

Follow up questions:

• Can you were the Trances to work?  Bring another pair of shoes and do the two hours today, three hours tomorrow thing with them?

Jen, another thought I had while running this morning was that your foot changes, or at least mine has. I started with some NB's which were a good stability shoe. The Saucony Guide was next, and they had less stability then the NB's. Now I wear Asics 2170's and Tri Noosa's which seem closer to neutral then where I started. I occasionally put on a pair of Sauc Rides that I have as well, and those are neutral also. It may be time to head over to the Running Store and have them do some analysis, if that is possible.

Jen, here's a decent Saucony Guide 7 review that you might be interested in:  http://www.endurancemag.com/2013/12/gear-review-saucony-guide-7/

That sounds a lot like the Brooks Transcend that is coming out at the beginning of February.  I'm really considering trying them when they get release, but I also want to find something to use.

I might end up just going to the running store and trying things.  The Trance are well beyond return time farm.e  I have about 100 miles on them already.  More annoying is that I haven't run much with the Ravenna, but there is no way I can return them.

2014-01-09 6:41 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Bikes, jobs , race lists, and now animals.

How about a Manatee Google Community as well? Email Janyne.

Ashley, take your time and you'll get comfortable with it. Don't be overwhelmed, it all makes sense soon enough.

2014-01-09 6:58 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Expert
Noosa

Follow up questions:

That sounds a lot like the Brooks Transcend that is coming out at the beginning of February.  I'm really considering trying them when they get release, but I also want to find something to use.

I might end up just going to the running store and trying things.  The Trance are well beyond return time farm.e  I have about 100 miles on them already.  More annoying is that I haven't run much with the Ravenna, but there is no way I can return them.

I had to use Brooks Addiction's when I first got into longer running but after a couple of years moved to Trance which were great but heavy and seemed to flare up my ITB.

I then added some short barefoot beach runs into my week and found my ITB problems went and I then moved to Saucony Kinvara's which are great.

The only problem I found with Kinvara's is there is no real arch support so I started to get some posterior tibial problems after the Gold Coast marathon.

I then moved onto Saucony Cortana's and did my IM training and race in them and I think they're a fantastic shoe. 4mm heel drop, light but well cushioned for longer running.

2014-01-09 7:03 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa

Just felt like posting a dog picture, this is Henry (black lab) and George:

2014-01-09 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by copa2251

Love it!
2014-01-09 9:22 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Any room for me Yanti?

2014-01-09 10:30 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Buckshot

Any room for me Yanti?

MARKSWEETNESSANDLIGHT!

Always room for a donkey to surround the manger at this inn

2014-01-09 10:34 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Me too

So far my "notes" are limited to who has what type of dogs and cats....but it's a start That pic of the Mastiffs just blew me away. The thought of walking that herd is just something else I think I would get a border collie just to herd them

Screaming laughing

Thinking about a border collie bounding amongst them ... it'd be like a bouncy ball off a bunch of concrete blocks.

I do love that herd. They are lovely giants.

2014-01-09 10:35 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by copa2251

Labradog in a towel turban! Wet dogs in the boot. Just like my car.

2014-01-10 4:17 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Me too

Screaming laughing

Thinking about a border collie bounding amongst them ... it'd be like a bouncy ball off a bunch of concrete blocks.

I do love that herd. They are lovely giants.

Yep I think that they might lay on it to control the exuberance. They actually aren't too bad to walk we do them all together if there are the two of us but if I am by myself then I limit it to 3 at a time cause there are two very distinct speed groups, which consist of slow and the death crawl.
2014-01-10 4:21 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Just checking in for Janyne so she doesn't have to hound me today (Friday) I swam 2200 and Yanti I am having second thoughts about how much I like Sheila. Also...

WARNING DUMB QUESTION TO FOLLOW:

I feel like I swim mostly by using my arms, I kick but there isn't that much power in it and Sheila's 300m kick sets suck big hairy dogs balls but anyway I digress. I know I need to "engage my core" when I swim. But what exactly does this mean and how does one go about achieving it?
2014-01-10 4:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Lanne
I have done 5 tri's with my 6th the Saturday.
Lana if you race tomorrow good luck and I hope you get done before it gets real hot. You are a braver woman than me.
A -for tackling the heat and
B - for being willing to swim in Champion "Lakes" with all that bird poop and who knows what else. Take great care not to sallow any of it I have not heard good things about the consequences.

For those in the north of our great planet 44*C (110*F) here tomorrow, hopefully the thought of that helps to warm you up. At the end of a day that hot my DH is getting on a plane and heading to Tulsa.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-01-10 4:31 AM

2014-01-10 4:59 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Thank goodness Melanie did a recap of the peeps!

HI TO Kim, Ashley, Lana, David, Marc and Jill!! Thanks Janyne for updating the list! And don't think I missed your Homer Simpson "I am so smart, SMRT!"

Adreinne - well said about strength routines! It's something that's easy to let fall through the cracks because we are all so busy but SO important!

Ann-Marie - put me down for 2 cats, 1 dog

Guess I'll head downstairs and get my spin on. It's snowing outside and I'm too lazy to drive to the gym to run on the treadmill. BUT TGIF!

Anyone racing this weekend?

Hope you all have a great day and weekend. We are skiing Sunday but that's about it.

/MBC OUT
2014-01-10 5:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Bikes, jobs , race lists, and now animals.

How about a Manatee Google Community as well? Email Janyne.

Ashley, take your time and you'll get comfortable with it. Don't be overwhelmed, it all makes sense soon enough.

when I get my new bikey, how do I add the picture to the group?
2014-01-10 6:06 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Ok still working this out, is there a way to get a notification of a post rather than looking through 273 posts to find out who has asked a question or commented?

The Crazy Crab is named Rosetta she is essentially a hermit crab she did have a partner but he moved out of his shell never to live another day. She has a nasty pinch on her so the children have learnt and is very good at escaping but we have found her 3 times!

Thank you for the meal advice, I never know, some people say to load carbs other say they get up super early and have a good breakfast on the day? i'm more of a coffee shot and a banana maybe a piece of chocolate about 3 hrs before I guess, kinda gal
2014-01-10 6:14 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Wow snow, kind of wishing for snow for tomorrow- we are going to hit 44 degrees C tomorrow hopefully after my wave start at 8.04 am first inland tri for me see how different the lake swim is
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25840 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18413 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.