BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-23 8:49 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Yeah...I have come to terms that I need to remove my BTA cage every time I pack my bike. Not as easy as it sounds to put it back on since the cage sits on top of my stem and I have to put a cut up piece of an old tube in between the cage and the stem so it fits snug without rattling.

2013-10-23 9:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Glad you are ok Jason!!

Yeah, glad you're alright!

And how is the bike taking this?

2013-10-23 11:30 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Anyone know why Strava seems to dump laps when it's a trainer ride? Rather annoying.

2013-10-24 4:59 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N Yeah...I have come to terms that I need to remove my BTA cage every time I pack my bike. Not as easy as it sounds to put it back on since the cage sits on top of my stem and I have to put a cut up piece of an old tube in between the cage and the stem so it fits snug without rattling.

Now that I've seen what kind of trouble my setup gives me I think I will try to re-jig something over the winter that makes it easier.

2013-10-24 8:30 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

My Biospeed bike bag has allowed me to successfully avoid a bike fee for our travel today... sort of.  We went up to the counter, I made no attempt to hide or disguise the bag and said we had 3 checked bags.  Paid the extra baggage fee and when the agent was putting the tags on the bags he just asked how much the bike bag weighed.  I told him it was 40 lbs and he said great.  So he obviously knew it was a bike but either didn't care about the fee or didn't want to charge it for a soft case?

Either way, I'm glad the online check-in process wouldn't work for me as I would have paid the fee!

2013-10-24 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by brigby1

Anyone know why Strava seems to dump laps when it's a trainer ride? Rather annoying.

It's lame. I looked into it and have submitted an enhancement request for time based intervals on it. Pretty sure a lot of people complain about it so throw your hat in there and eventually they will add it. They seem to be adding a lot of things. They have the data, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code. Otherwise you have to highlight the little line for the duration you want and it'll show you the average. They also record the 'laps'...really miles logged on the trainer and you can click on each (it's at the top of the overview line graph they give you in little grey rectangles) but it isn't easy to manipulate that screen....I've just been lapping it on my joule even if I do trainer road. At least I can see it.

2013-10-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: acumenjay

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by acumenjay

It's lame. I looked into it and have submitted an enhancement request for time based intervals on it. Pretty sure a lot of people complain about it so throw your hat in there and eventually they will add it. They seem to be adding a lot of things. They have the data, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to code. Otherwise you have to highlight the little line for the duration you want and it'll show you the average. They also record the 'laps'...really miles logged on the trainer and you can click on each (it's at the top of the overview line graph they give you in little grey rectangles) but it isn't easy to manipulate that screen....I've just been lapping it on my joule even if I do trainer road. At least I can see it.

Yeah, they do have the data. The laps show when I have it as a normal ride, in with the Segments section. This whole section is cut off when I check Stationary Ride.

2013-10-24 12:22 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by acumenjay Neil, check this app out! http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/automated-measurement-review.htm... I literally just saw the review pop onto my feed and it seemed timely. Pretty cool looking app. I'm going to have to get it.

I saw that this morning too - I'm going to have to try it as well.  Looks neat.

I decided to pay for the app, but it's a no go for me.   My wife's iPhone is jailbroken and I need a higher version OS than what needs to be on the phone for the app to install.  Too bad, I really wanted to give this a try.

2013-10-24 12:25 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by acumenjay Neil, check this app out! http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/automated-measurement-review.htm... I literally just saw the review pop onto my feed and it seemed timely. Pretty cool looking app. I'm going to have to get it.

I decided to pay for the app, but it's a no go for me.   My wife's iPhone is jailbroken and I need a higher version OS than what needs to be on the phone for the app to install.  Too bad, I really wanted to give this a try.

That'll teach you!

What OS version does it require?

2013-10-24 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

For my trainer rides, you can see my rides here: http://www.trainerroad.com/career/ligersandtions  -- 10/20, 10/13, 10/12 all show longer rides that I struggled on...

I have them all loaded into GC, but I don't think there's a way to make those public, and I don't consistently upload to TP since I'm only using the free version.  

From looking around a bit, have a couple thoughts. One is to watch your spacing for the workouts. An example is where you tried ISLIAGIATT once the day after a hard VO2 session. That's a big and hard workout (near 2 hr Sufferfest) the day after a very high intensity one. I couldn't have done it either. And generally I try to do something that involves lower intensity the day after VO2, though volume may still go up higher.

Also, you probably won't be able to do all of them at 100%. I tend to do like what Ryan said on the 2 x 20', more like 95% when it's just those two and try to work towards 100% over several workouts. When I get there, then it's likely time to retest. You're not doing 2 x 20', but other workouts with smaller intervals that work at or a bit over threshold. Still take that idea in towards the TR setting as opposed to the IF for the specific interval. Start lower and get the work in. You'll get stronger. If you're actually able to do all of these at 100%, then it might be time to retest.

Watch the design of the workouts too. I usually don't like ones with like 8' work, 4' recovery as often as that's kind of in between threshold & VO2 pattern. Try to find ones with recoveries more like 20-25% of the work session or so. The 10/16 workout would be a good example if the early intervals didn't go so high. I'd use those more to wake things up and then take the later parts stronger. Ethan Allen seems like one I might do more often. The work intervals are big, so the recovery spacing being bigger is less important. Don't worry about killing the sprints they put in. Those ones are only to help wake things up. You're going 100 watts over! Since the longer work interval has been giving you issues, try to find more of the shorter and build up interval duration and/or decrease recovery interval. Should help give you some more practice to build up your confidence, and have another go at them.

Always keep the goal of the workout in mind. It's not to go 100% of whatever the selected profile says every time, but to stress the area you intend. I pick things that are close enough to work with and adjust accordingly. Plenty of times I've skipped sections of a 'Fest vid as all I wanted was the 20' hill in say The Hunted. The other parts are there to use, but if they don't fit the goals of the workout I'll just ride right through or skip past entirely.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Regarding spacing of workouts -- Coggan has written that a TSS of less than 150 means you should be fully recovered the next day. So when I did an ~80 TSS ride and followed that up with ISLAGIATT the next day and struggled through, I figured it was more a mental thing than a physical thing. Though I'm wondering if his TSS vs recovery guide is more suited to a cyclist who can devote more time to riding and is thus more fit than I am. My weekly TSS is in the low 300 range, so maybe 80 is too much for me to expect to be fully recovered by the next day.

Sometimes (often) it's hard to tell if it should be a case of "HTFU" or if my struggles are valid....I'll keep that in mind.

WRT threshold vs VO2 pattern, can you give me an idea of what is typical (or ideal)? 1 min VO2 intervals = 1 min recovery intervals? But where does that break down? I assume if you're doing 5 min @ 110% you wouldn't do 5 min recovery intervals, but I'm not sure how long is sufficient? Last week, I did 5 min threshold intervals with 2 min recovery; today, I did 10 min threshold intervals and gave myself 4 min recovery -- I felt like last week's was pretty good, but today's had too much recovery time (admittedly, I was worried that I might not actually be able to last the full 10 min intervals, but I found some decent gearing in the small chainring and made it happen reasonably well).

Really appreciat the advice on the SF videos....I know I can get down on myself when I can't do them at full intensity, and maybe it's about changing my mindset to working on what it is that I need to work on, rather than following the workout blindly. So thanks!
2013-10-24 1:34 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

That'll teach you!

What OS version does it require?

I think it said 6.xxxx

2013-10-24 1:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N Yeah...I have come to terms that I need to remove my BTA cage every time I pack my bike. Not as easy as it sounds to put it back on since the cage sits on top of my stem and I have to put a cut up piece of an old tube in between the cage and the stem so it fits snug without rattling.

Now that I've seen what kind of trouble my setup gives me I think I will try to re-jig something over the winter that makes it easier.

I took me about 3-4 tries, and about 2-3 hours to finally have my cage set up the way I want it. Had to be a combination of getting the cage in the right position and angle, it being sturdy enough so it doesn't come loose, and also easy enough to remove and put back on. So don't feel bad, you're not the only one.

That said, a friend of mind got the new Nathan aero drink system. It looks pretty cool if you're into that type of hydration setup. The way it mounts on the bars is pretty slick. Hard to describe without seeing it.
2013-10-24 3:09 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions  Thanks again for your thoughts! Regarding spacing of workouts -- Coggan has written that a TSS of less than 150 means you should be fully recovered the next day. So when I did an ~80 TSS ride and followed that up with ISLAGIATT the next day and struggled through, I figured it was more a mental thing than a physical thing. Though I'm wondering if his TSS vs recovery guide is more suited to a cyclist who can devote more time to riding and is thus more fit than I am. My weekly TSS is in the low 300 range, so maybe 80 is too much for me to expect to be fully recovered by the next day. Sometimes (often) it's hard to tell if it should be a case of "HTFU" or if my struggles are valid....I'll keep that in mind. WRT threshold vs VO2 pattern, can you give me an idea of what is typical (or ideal)? 1 min VO2 intervals = 1 min recovery intervals? But where does that break down? I assume if you're doing 5 min @ 110% you wouldn't do 5 min recovery intervals, but I'm not sure how long is sufficient? Last week, I did 5 min threshold intervals with 2 min recovery; today, I did 10 min threshold intervals and gave myself 4 min recovery -- I felt like last week's was pretty good, but today's had too much recovery time (admittedly, I was worried that I might not actually be able to last the full 10 min intervals, but I found some decent gearing in the small chainring and made it happen reasonably well). Really appreciat the advice on the SF videos....I know I can get down on myself when I can't do them at full intensity, and maybe it's about changing my mindset to working on what it is that I need to work on, rather than following the workout blindly. So thanks!

The TSS is helpful, but doesn't quite say everything. You're on the right track with the thoughts. His guidelines are meant more for a pure cyclist than a triathlete. The running and swimming affect the ability to recover, so it could be less than that depending on what all you have going on. Where it gets more complicated is with the intensity. If you had ridden at say 70-some% for an hour & a half to get that 80 TSS, you'd be good to go the next day. But since you did it at a higher output (110% or so), it's harder to repeat that. I've done similar sized hard rides on Friday and then gone out to accumulate 160-200 the next day, but the entire ride was 70-75%, not a threshold workout. And it was a bit harder to do than if I had done an easier ride to get the TSS of 60-70 or so the night before. I could go for awhile at the easier effort, but it would get hard fast if I tried to pick it up. Especially since you're trying to work on VO2 more right now, you might want to back down the effort level of the threshold work. Instead of trying to hit right at 100% or over for the intervals, maybe just do lower 90's and see how things go. And adjust the TR setting to put them there.

Threshold sets tend to be 5'-20' in length with *about* 20-25% of that for recovery intervals. It's not exact, just guidelines. The work intervals can go longer, but not really shorter. They'll also work at 90-105% FTP. VO2 is often said as equal work and recovery. This is more true for the shorter ones (like 30-60") as in the Daniels link before. The longer ones can have some more freedom. Usually people feel they can recover in 2-3 minutes, so some set things up with rest no longer than that. So probably amend the often stated quote to recovery about 50-100% of the work interval. Work intervals tend to be 5' or less so we can get in more total time at the higher level by way of additional intervals. Intensity for these is in the 106-120% FTP range. I think we tend to go up higher than 106% to make sure we actually get to the max. Some might reach it there, some might not in the time given.

Then, I'm a bit cautious of going much over 100% until getting to VO2 unless there is a specific race adaptation that will require this. Look here for some graphing. Note that the Effect on Threshold plot has a peak to it. Also look at the physiological strain plot. So there is more cost, but not as much threshold gain, while also not receiving as much VO2 gain. Also confirmed here in Table 2. Effect on Threshold (and other things) actually goes DOWN from Z4 to Z5. Threshold goes all the way from 4 to 2. So that's where I'm not as big on the threshold work that goes over 100%, like the 4 x 8' w/4' recovery (or similar pattern) workouts tend to. Once in awhile ok, but there isn't as much gain with the higher effort and extended recovery as putting them closer together at a little less intensity.

Do know that I did start a workout like that just yesterday, but my intention was to work on pushing harder as I'd mostly been working closer to 90%. Wanted to push some and see how this affected other work, sometimes I respond well to that kind of spark. Another one I might do at times is Angels & Fight Club in sequence with work done at 90-95% for all the 7-8' intervals. What I'm doing there is getting creative towards working hills into a trainer ride. And this has seemed to work well before going out on the big, hilly rides I do at times. Similar enough in size & intensity, though outside tends to have longer periods between them. But for better threshold development, I like the bigger intervals or putting them closer together for many of the workouts.

2013-10-25 7:55 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Good luck to our Miami racers this weekend - you guys will rock that course (positive thoughts on slightly cooler conditions).

2013-10-25 4:39 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-25 5:29 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by TSimone

Good luck to our Miami racers this weekend - you guys will rock that course (positive thoughts on slightly cooler conditions).

Good luck and safe travels from me as well.

Agree with them! Hope you all have great races -- looking forward to following along and hearing about them after. Sounds like the temps and wind are looking favorable (at least more so than earlier in the week)!

2013-10-25 7:53 PM

Hope everyone haves a safe, fun, and fast race.

2013-10-25 10:09 PM

Thanks all. From this morning's 3:30 am wake up call it's been a long day! But got all the bike pickup and reg business done today, so tomorrow is resting. Dinner at Garcia's on Miami river with some friends we hadn't seen in about 10 years.

super windy tonite, should die down some. Temps look pretty tolerable. Ready to go! (Although I think Canada has the lock on this race)

2013-10-26 4:40 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Elite
PEI, Canada

All checked in for the race and I'm finally somewhere with stable Wifi!

It looks like the weather is going to more or less cooperate for us.  There will be some wind but nothing like what I rode in in Fort Lauderdale.  It will be warm but not stupid hot and the humidity will be in the 50-60% range rather than 80+.

2013-10-27 8:45 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ChrisM(Although I think Canada has the lock on this race)

Says the guy who just beat Arend out of the water by 25 seconds. Looks like we have ourselves a race in Miami....

2013-10-27 8:51 AM

Arend and Chris both out of the water sub 31, Marc got out in just over 34 in an earlier wave an hammering the first half of the bike course in just over 1:13.

Pretty good swim times for open ocean and non wetsuit. Welcome to my world...

2013-10-27 8:56 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Originally posted by TankBoy

Says the guy who just beat Arend out of the water by 25 seconds. Looks like we have ourselves a race in Miami....

I didn't want to mention it to Chris before the race and risk throwing him off mentally, but I think he's got a sold chance at sub 5 on this course. Given his power and weight won't penalize him that much on the bike, I think a low 2:30 bike is possible and a 1:53ish run should be in play. That said, I also think Arend might go real low. His running is only getting stronger, even his bike. He's only starting to build up his long term run base recently (over the past year or so).
2013-10-27 8:59 AM

I'm off to go terrorize some friends and a coworker at a 30k run race shortly. I'll be cruising on my bike watching the action at various points. I'll also be introducing my coworker to flat coke with 4 miles left. They don't serve it at the aid stations, and he has no idea what I'm giving him. I just told him I would be there to give him so magic potion that will make him feel better so don't take a gel too close to that point.
2013-10-27 10:18 AM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by TankBoy

I didn't want to mention it to Chris before the race and risk throwing him off mentally, but I think he's got a sold chance at sub 5 on this course. Given his power and weight won't penalize him that much on the bike, I think a low 2:30 bike is possible and a 1:53ish run should be in play. That said, I also think Arend might go real low. His running is only getting stronger, even his bike. He's only starting to build up his long term run base recently (over the past year or so).

I think you're right, Jason! Chris looks to be on track for a sub-5 race!

Looks like all three are having really good races. Hopefully temps stay reasonable and the run legs go well.
2013-10-27 12:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks folks for e-spectating.

I don't know about the others but I found it tough. That run was brutal. The achilles flaired up but I said f'it. It started last saturday night, was better this week but really started to hurt on the bike.

I will try and do a race report. Happy with the swim. I have been working that.

Happy with the run.

But I need to work my bike.

Happy overall.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.