Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-04 6:43 PM
in reply to: marcag

Master
, California
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by ligersandtions So I think I'm injured again....really frustrated to feel so freaking fragile when it comes to running. I'm almost positive that this "injury" is part of my original knee injury. My left hamstring seems to be doing something weird -- it's almost like the two muscles, where they come together down near my knee, are "sticky" and trying to seize up and cramp together or something. There's also a sort of popping feeling (on the left side, I think), like the muscle/tendon is popping back and forth over one another. This happened back in April when I attempted running....I stopped for five months, but it's come back, so I don't think "rest" is the answer. I think there's some underlying issue -- knee is still injured and/or I do something inherently wrong when I run. I feel like I've been pretty smart about my run build. I started out at 10 minutes per run, five days a week (so 50 minutes/week) and over 12 weeks have worked my way up to about 120 minutes/week. Things had actually been feeling fine (and I had noticed some decent progress) until last Wednesday, when my hamstring started doing this thing. I went to my chiropractor who does ART for me, have been doing body weight strengthening stuff, and lots of stretching and foam rolling. I really feel like this wasn't a "too much, too soon" thing, but I still seem to have landed myself with an injury. Really frustrating -- trying to be smart, but I want to be dumb and just run through it. Ugh....just needed to vent.
Just trying to think of ideas. Have you had anyone do a gait analysis ?

This is just n=1 but I bike 10 minutes on the indoor trainer before EVERY run.  I find my knees are much happier with that arrangement, especially in cold weather.

2013-11-04 6:53 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Swim Meet

Nice !! I am not sure what AG you are in but you are dangerously close to qualifying for World Masters champs in Montreal this summer http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?option=com_content&view=artic...

Hadn't thought of this. I'll be 35-39 next year. Some of those times look possible. I had thought they would be much harder from what the national standards are for scy in the US. Although those are a bit screwy. The standards there are hard to make, but anyone can still swim up to 3 events. To swim more it's necessary to beat the standard. That way anyone can still sign up, but the meet isn't overrun by joe schmoes. Sure some people in my masters group are looking at this. They'll go around the country for nationals and once in awhile outside if they make it.

2013-11-04 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ligersandtions

So I think I'm injured again....really frustrated to feel so freaking fragile when it comes to running.

I'm almost positive that this "injury" is part of my original knee injury. My left hamstring seems to be doing something weird -- it's almost like the two muscles, where they come together down near my knee, are "sticky" and trying to seize up and cramp together or something. There's also a sort of popping feeling (on the left side, I think), like the muscle/tendon is popping back and forth over one another.

This happened back in April when I attempted running....I stopped for five months, but it's come back, so I don't think "rest" is the answer. I think there's some underlying issue -- knee is still injured and/or I do something inherently wrong when I run.

I feel like I've been pretty smart about my run build. I started out at 10 minutes per run, five days a week (so 50 minutes/week) and over 12 weeks have worked my way up to about 120 minutes/week. Things had actually been feeling fine (and I had noticed some decent progress) until last Wednesday, when my hamstring started doing this thing.

I went to my chiropractor who does ART for me, have been doing body weight strengthening stuff, and lots of stretching and foam rolling. I really feel like this wasn't a "too much, too soon" thing, but I still seem to have landed myself with an injury.

Really frustrating -- trying to be smart, but I want to be dumb and just run through it. Ugh....just needed to vent.

Yeah, someone else suggested that, so I had a gait analysis done post-surgery. They said there was nothing particularly alarming, but I did have some glute weakness, which I have worked on since then.
2013-11-04 8:16 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by ligersandtions So I think I'm injured again....really frustrated to feel so freaking fragile when it comes to running. I'm almost positive that this "injury" is part of my original knee injury. My left hamstring seems to be doing something weird -- it's almost like the two muscles, where they come together down near my knee, are "sticky" and trying to seize up and cramp together or something. There's also a sort of popping feeling (on the left side, I think), like the muscle/tendon is popping back and forth over one another. This happened back in April when I attempted running....I stopped for five months, but it's come back, so I don't think "rest" is the answer. I think there's some underlying issue -- knee is still injured and/or I do something inherently wrong when I run. I feel like I've been pretty smart about my run build. I started out at 10 minutes per run, five days a week (so 50 minutes/week) and over 12 weeks have worked my way up to about 120 minutes/week. Things had actually been feeling fine (and I had noticed some decent progress) until last Wednesday, when my hamstring started doing this thing. I went to my chiropractor who does ART for me, have been doing body weight strengthening stuff, and lots of stretching and foam rolling. I really feel like this wasn't a "too much, too soon" thing, but I still seem to have landed myself with an injury. Really frustrating -- trying to be smart, but I want to be dumb and just run through it. Ugh....just needed to vent.

This is just n=1 but I bike 10 minutes on the indoor trainer before EVERY run.  I find my knees are much happier with that arrangement, especially in cold weather.

The weird thing about this most recent "injury" is that it's not a joint bothering me (though I suspect the hamstring issue is related to the knee issue) -- and it started 25 minutes into a 30 minute run (in 80 degree weather).

Trying to roll it out, stretch, and ice each day. I'm going to give it a few days and see if that helps. I am in the middle of some email conversations with my doctor and my ART chiropractor, so we'll see if any of them have suggestions or new ideas.
2013-11-05 6:04 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-05 7:49 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Fred D Back in the pool for the first time in 4.5 months this am! Was a challenge and my medial elbow still has some discomfort. Anyone have any suggestions? I plan on using resistance bands to do some shoulder and rotation strengthening, but looks like something I, going to have to live with in the water?

Fred  - did you do something specific to bring on the discomfort or did it just develop over time?  I wouldn't want to "just live with it" for fear it's going to get worse.

2013-11-05 10:53 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Fred - I can share my experience with what sounds on the surface like a similar issue, not as a diagnosis but rather simply as an example of how I worked through the problem and seemed to gain some resolution. About this time last year I began ramping up my swimming and soon began getting a little soreness on the medial (inside) part of my left elbow. I of course assumed that it had to do with my uptick in swimming volume so set up a meeting with my coach to do stroke analysis. There of course was a lot to work on and my stroke got better, but it did not resolve the elbow soreness. I also mentioned it to my massage therapist during one of my routine weekly visits and she said it sounded like a classic case of Elbow Tendinopathy or "golfer's elbow" (she said if it were on the outside it would be "tennis elbow"). We added it to the regular maintenance work that she did every week along with ice cupping, and it did help manage it but didn't really make it better. Since it is called golfer's elbow in everyday parlance, I thought it could not hurt to talk about it with a friend who is a golf pro and he gave me what seemed like a key bit of information: in his experience golfer's elbow is not actually caused by the golf swing, it is just exacerbated by it. It actually is usually caused by one of two thIngs: an improper grip and wrist angle and/or work that involves repetitive use of the hands and wrists, often the kind of work that might lead to CTS. I draw and build for work (ie: constantly use my hands) so that seemed like it could be a prime culprit. As a Doc I would imagine you might use your hands quite a bit at work as well. Since mine was not really all that bad, he suggested that I simply do ROM exercises to increase the strength and flexibility in my wrists. He also suggested that I evaluate if anything had changed with work in the way I used my hands, but I could not really think of anything there.thinking through that It did dawn on me however that not long before this pain occurred I had traveled with my road bike in a case which need me to remove my handlebars. I thought I put them back on correctly, but I took it in to my bike fitter just in case and asked him to give me a look over (without telling him it was having any issues) and he immediately said it looked like my bars were upturned just a hair to much. He rotated them down almost imperceptibly and that was e only change he made. Within 10 days I had forgotten about the elbow soreness in the pool. So was it the massage, the flexibility exercises, the ice, of the handle bars? I have no idea - but just know that if it is something like Tendinopathy then you can treat the symptoms, but it is important to follow the chain to get to the possible cause. Don't know if that helps, but keep at it.
2013-11-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

1650TT in the pool yesterday in 25:11.

20'TT on the bike today  - 268W (FTP ~255W)

My goal this winter is to boost those numbers dramatically.  Running may take a hit although this is my workout tomorrow:

5x1mile intervals between 5K-10K pace planned for tomorrow leaving at 8:00...supposed to rain all day to boot.

I am dreading that workout more than the other two!

Whats everybody's plan for the offseason?

2013-11-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: rymac

My plan is simple. Ride the snot out of my bike and lose some weight.

Nothing real focused for the current time, but now that my legs feel close to 100% I'm starting to target a few short Strava KOMs to monitor my progress. I may hold off on the FTP testing stuff till after the new year.
2013-11-05 5:12 PM
in reply to: Jason N

I am going to run my a$$ off.   Figuratively, and since I am about 10# heavier than when I left for Whistler in August, literally

2013-11-05 5:13 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Originally posted by ligersandtions
Originally posted by spudone

The weird thing about this most recent "injury" is that it's not a joint bothering me (though I suspect the hamstring issue is related to the knee issue) -- and it started 25 minutes into a 30 minute run (in 80 degree weather). Trying to roll it out, stretch, and ice each day. I'm going to give it a few days and see if that helps. I am in the middle of some email conversations with my doctor and my ART chiropractor, so we'll see if any of them have suggestions or new ideas.

Nicole, so bummed to hear about this, i know how frustrating it is, especially with recurring injuries 

2013-11-05 5:30 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

My plan is to swim a bit (hopefully with the swim team kids again), ride the trainer a bunch and run a whole lot.  Hoping to not have the same problems with icy sidewalks I had all last winter.

2013-11-05 6:05 PM

2013-11-05 6:07 PM

2013-11-05 6:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

I am aiming to use a coach starting in March 2014 to aid in my training.

OK, that's it....a Power Meter and now this......who are you and what have you done with Fred ?
2013-11-05 7:47 PM

Originally posted by Fred D

I am aiming to use a coach starting in March 2014 to aid in my training.

OK, that's it....a Power Meter and now this......who are you and what have you done with Fred ?

LOL...Pretty sure it's the same Fred...just don't call it a comeback.

2013-11-05 7:48 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

My plan is to swim a bit (hopefully with the swim team kids again), ride the trainer a bunch and run a whole lot.  Hoping to not have the same problems with icy sidewalks I had all last winter.

Since it's November now...you all have permission to start whining about the cold/snow again.
2013-11-05 8:09 PM

Originally posted by Fred D I am aiming to use a coach starting in March 2014 to aid in my training.
On the bright side, there may be a G3 hub on the market next off season.
2013-11-05 8:10 PM

Veteran
Houston, Texas
My plan was to spend a lot of time on the bike and build up to a decent running volume....run plan is on hold for a bit, but the bike plan is still in action.

I'm signed up for St. George 70.3 in May of next year, but if I can't figure out this whole running business, I think I'd like to get into some TT's here in the future, so my current focus is improving FTP and VO2. Maybe one day I'll get a road bike and see if road racing is something I'd enjoy.

Expecting maybe some marginal gains on the swim, but not really willing to put in more than 10k a week, so I'm not expecting miracles.
2013-11-05 8:15 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by Jason N

Since it's November now...you all have permission to start whining about the cold/snow again.

Ha ha! I am actually enjoying our cooler weather here - I am guessing we are due one more little warming spell before we are really into our fall wether. For my out season I plan on my usual strength and flexibility work and will be focusing on running, and hoping to race a fair number of trail events. Right now though I would like to figure out how to simply string a couple of consecutive days of training together though.....

I did get in the pool a couple of days ago for the first time in a couple of months and found out that I can still get back and forth fairly quickly and without much effort - so very, very happy with my big increase (for me) in swim volume - it seems that a years worth of regular masters swimming has caused something to stick.

A few days ago someone mentioned a group weight loss challenge, and while I don't think I need that, I AM about 10 pounds over my race weight which puts me at 5 pounds above my normal training weight - so I probably COULD use a "Hey tubby why don't you lay off that second  jelly doughnut" kind of challenge. 

2013-11-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by Fred D I am aiming to use a coach starting in March 2014 to aid in my training.
On the bright side, there may be a G3 hub on the market next off season.

That there is VERY funny.

and true.

Which makes it even funnier.

2013-11-05 8:38 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

So I am car traveling a lot and I lug my KICKR around with me in the back of my car - it is actually rather compact, but HEAVY - it has a built-in carry handle on, which makes it a little easier to lug around. Anyway, this morning I had a base ride scheduled, but did not have time to get out on the road, so just rode it on the trainer. I decided to give the Kinomap application a whirl via my iPad; I usually use trainer road with sufferfest, but this was supposed to be an easy ride. I did a nice little ride around the rolling countryside of southern France. It was kinda cool: the video was very high resolution, and once I set my weight, CRR, and wind speed it handled the variations in resistance on the KICKR very smoothly, as well as the speeding up and slowing down of the video as I sped up and slowed down. I think I am going to try and get out a GoPro some of my favorite mountain routes and upload them so I have something known to actually compare it to. 

Then I might take a spin up the Col de la Madeleine just for kicks.

2013-11-05 8:48 PM

I highly doubt Fred's PT goes for sale next year. I firmly believe the only reason he sold his Quarq is because he needed a S-Works crank to match his bikes and shoes.
2013-11-06 1:14 AM

Went after a KOM this afternoon, got it by roughly 15 seconds, and then for some reason my workout gets corrupted when trying to upload from my garmin. There's always tomorrow...
2013-11-06 5:16 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

I'm not complaining yet but I did get briefly snowed on during my run on Monday.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.