BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 230

2009-12-15 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2555972

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED
Happy Birthday George and Barry!

Absolutely LOVE my Xterra full!

As far as diet goes I agree with most of what has already been said. It is important to experiment a little and find out what works for you, because we are all different. Gary has lost 100 lbs by just cutting down serving sizes and training. I, on the other hand, have to keep a food journal and track everything in order to not eat more than what I am burning. I also limit grains and try to eat pretty clean, because I just feel better when I eat that way and have a much easier time keeping my calories under control. Of course, this is all what I do when I'm doing what I need to do in order to keep the weight off and be healthy. I'm still working on doing it all consistently   Congrats on the 3 lb weight loss!

2009-12-15 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2560944

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
RoniS - 2009-12-15 5:17 PM Happy Birthday George and Barry!

Absolutely LOVE my Xterra full!

As far as diet goes I agree with most of what has already been said. It is important to experiment a little and find out what works for you, because we are all different. Gary has lost 100 lbs by just cutting down serving sizes and training. I, on the other hand, have to keep a food journal and track everything in order to not eat more than what I am burning. I also limit grains and try to eat pretty clean, because I just feel better when I eat that way and have a much easier time keeping my calories under control. Of course, this is all what I do when I'm doing what I need to do in order to keep the weight off and be healthy. I'm still working on doing it all consistently   Congrats on the 3 lb weight loss!

Glad you said formerly 'roni_runnw' I thought when I read your post something was different.
Gary -- 100 lbs that unreal. Good for you. i know there are a few 50lbers here(me,John,Andy) and Dougs lost a ton of weight. 80 lbs I want to say. 100lbs is awesome. How about a before and after pic??
2009-12-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2560569

User image

Elite
san francisco
Terps421 - 2009-12-15 12:55 PM How many of you eat a snack before bed?  This is not something I do but my Tri-club had a speaker who has competed at Kona several times and he said you should have a snack before you go to bed if you work out in the morning.

Does a skinny cow ice cream sandwich count as a snack?  If it does, then i will say, "I do!  I do!"

After reading through 5 pages of posts, i am pooped! 

Let's see, long trainer rides, I like movies I can subtitle, especially action films, shorter ones, Entourage 30 min episodes are perfect!  Of course, I don't tell my coach I am watching movies, as long as I get my HR to where it is supposed to be when he wants it, then I am good.

Silicone swim caps like Suzy posted are my favorite... the latex ones hurt my head.  Even during tri's I will put my silicone one on first and then the latex one they give on top.  Anyone want some latex ones, I will mail them to you!  Have some race ones that are just sitting around.  just pm me!

Other than that, I will try to sift through the additional posts that have probably been posted while I took too long writing this one, have a great night, groupies.
2009-12-15 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2560992

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2009-12-15 6:59 PM
Terps421 - 2009-12-15 12:55 PM How many of you eat a snack before bed?  This is not something I do but my Tri-club had a speaker who has competed at Kona several times and he said you should have a snack before you go to bed if you work out in the morning.

Does a skinny cow ice cream sandwich count as a snack?  If it does, then i will say, "I do!  I do!"

After reading through 5 pages of posts, i am pooped! 

Let's see, long trainer rides, I like movies I can subtitle, especially action films, shorter ones, Entourage 30 min episodes are perfect!  Of course, I don't tell my coach I am watching movies, as long as I get my HR to where it is supposed to be when he wants it, then I am good.

Silicone swim caps like Suzy posted are my favorite... the latex ones hurt my head.  Even during tri's I will put my silicone one on first and then the latex one they give on top.  Anyone want some latex ones, I will mail them to you!  Have some race ones that are just sitting around.  just pm me!

Other than that, I will try to sift through the additional posts that have probably been posted while I took too long writing this one, have a great night, groupies.

Good lord, I swear we are from the same womb.  I do the same thing....nice cap underneath, crappy one reluctantly on top!

By the way I know your coach.  Hmmmmm, something to tuck away for future bribery!

Snacking?  I do it all the time, including right before I go to bed.  The excuse I use is I take meds that require food, but really I would do it no matter what.  It's all about calories in, calories out so if you ingest the number you want to it really doesn't matter what the clock says.
2009-12-15 7:37 PM
in reply to: #2560530

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Swim Caps
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 12:38 PM
ryanp100 - 2009-12-15 2:18 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 11:32 AM
ryanp100 - 2009-12-15 1:24 PM Hi there... I'll chime in: I prefer the silicone caps since they're a little more heavy-duty and last longer. I feel like the latex can tear more easily. I don't have long hair, but for the ladies (and Birdy back in his college days), I would imagine that the silicone would be a bit easier to put on/take off.

Must be because you process your hair alot, right Ryan?
Ha! And if by process, you mean when I'll get all fancy-like and use a two-in-one conditioner and shampoo... On another note, I'm supposed to meet Birdy for a "swim" (yep, there's a reason that's in quotes...) in a couple of hours. This is not going to be good for my ego.

I have an idea.  Challenge him to a TT on the CT afterwards.  Who will have a problem with their ego then? Bye, bye Birdy....

I quit before he even had a chance to offer up the ride
2009-12-15 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2561052

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Finally time for my Bio...

Name: Steve

Family Status:
  Married for 34+ years but am in the process of a divorce

Current Training: 
Training for my 2nd full marathon, to be held in March.

2009 Races: Disney Marathon, 1 Super Sprint, 2-10k races and Augusta 70.3 HIM.  Had several other races lined up, including 2 Oly. distances but life got in the way.

2010 Races/Goals: One full marathon, one Half-Mary, 2 10k's, 1 Oly. in May, 1 Sprint in June, HIM in September....I have a score to settle with Augusta   Goals are to be more consistant and motivated in my training.

Weightloss: I have been watching what I eat but have not been on a regimented diet plan.  I have also cut out most all sugar (except for natural sugar in fruit) and soft drinks.  I have gone from 245 down to about 210-212.  Would like to get to the 200-205 range and this is a good weight for me since I am 6'4".

Steve

Edited by Reno8 2009-12-15 8:02 PM

2009-12-15 7:57 PM
in reply to: #2560913

User image

Master
Sin City
Happychick - 2009-12-15 3:52 PM
Terps421 - 2009-12-15 9:55 AM How many of you eat a snack before bed?  This is not something I do but my Tri-club had a speaker who has competed at Kona several times and he said you should have a snack before you go to bed if you work out in the morning.

I too have wondered about this as I have a "rule" that I don't eat after 8pm!!  It's something that I started quite a while ago and its more habit than anything now!

I also follow that rule...although, it's 9pm as I go to bed at 11ish (I don't work, so I can sleep in as late as I want...that is if I'm not training. :-) )

I find that if I have a snack right before bed, I can't sleep because my body is digesting the nutrients and giving me a jolt of energy. So, not good. :-)
2009-12-15 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2560922

User image

Master
Sin City
TrevorC - 2009-12-15 3:58 PM
NIce new avatar--- but barry one day we need a nonblurry pic from you!!! Tongue out **snickers***

yep im stealing it from my new vegas friend.

*roaring laughter* *laughter dies down* *snickers*  :-)  We need animated smileys...seriously folks.
2009-12-15 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2561080

User image

Master
I eat dessert nearly every night, and it's usually after 9pm as my husband and I relax with some TV and satisfy our sweet teeth after the kids are in bed. (Don't want them to think dessert is always a given, cuz for them it's not!) I do find if I'm not training or training as much I don't crave my sweets. I don't eat a huge dessert -- something along the lines of a couple of JoeJoe's (Trader Joe's Oreos) with a glass of milk or a small bowl of light ice cream does the trick. I know I *should* eat fruit or yogurt or a bowl of cereal, but for me dessert is a pleasure I can afford because I work for it. My husband is just naturally skinny (he does run, but not as much as I do)... He jumped on the dessert bandwagon when I was pregnant and never jumped off. So I blame him for my nightly indulgence because I don't have the willpower to watch him eat and not join in!!
2009-12-15 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2561065

User image

Champion
Reno8 - 2009-12-15 7:50 PM Finally time for my Bio...

Family Status:

Current Training: 

2009 Races: Disney Marathon, 1 Super Sprint, 2-10k races and Augusta 70.3 HIM.  Had several other races lined up, including 2 Oly. distances but life got in the way.

2010 Races/Goals: One full marathon, one Half-Mary, 2 10k's, 1 Oly. in May, 1 Sprint in June, HIM in September....I have a score to settle with Augusta   Goals are to be more consistant and motivated in my training.

Weightloss: I have been watching what I eat but have not been on a regimented diet plan.  I have also cut out most all sugar (except for natural sugar in fruit) and soft drinks.  I have gone from 245 down to about 210-212.  Would like to get to the 200-205 range and this is a good weight for me since I am 6'4".

Steve

Welcome to the chaos of SWBKRUN Steve!  The fact that you have cut out almost all sugar makes you a better person than me....in fact most of you eat way fewere snack calories them me.  YIKES.....you people are disciplined!

Hey, who likes the BeeGees?

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-12-15 8:34 PM
2009-12-15 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Seymour, IN
WOW! I hit the road for one day and . . . 9 pages later. . .
Welcome to the new group everyone.

There's a lot to comment on, but I have to get to bed.  Another day on the road tomorrow.  Why does work get in the way of the truly important stuff.

Thanks for Xterra hint.  I was considering some for my wife and me for Christmas.  I think I've found them.

Barry, do you put your pics thru some sort of blur filter?

I'll catch up in another 9 pages I guess.

2009-12-15 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2561128

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 9:20 PM 

The BeeGees are awesome!!!  Well, not really but your BeeGees elf rocks!

I snack all the time too.   Pretty good at keeping it healthy at work becuase I pack my lunch with lots of fruit and nuts but at home, I eat the same snacks that my kids like...speaking of that...it is time for me to go have a brownie before bed!!
2009-12-15 9:38 PM

User image

Keller, Tx

I had a nice short run tonight...not too cold (35 w/ no wind) but I ended up too warm.  How do you all guage how many layers to wear for a run in the winter?  I did not train through last winter (if you call what we have in Texas winter) so I am new to cold weather running.

2009-12-15 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2561260

User image

Expert
TriFrog93 - 2009-12-15 9:38 PM

I had a nice short run tonight...not too cold (35 w/ no wind) but I ended up too warm.  How do you all guage how many layers to wear for a run in the winter?  I did not train through last winter (if you call what we have in Texas winter) so I am new to cold weather running.

Ahh 35 would feel like the tropics, by the time I got home today it was in the single digits. My xmas list included Yak Trax and a sweet Brooks windproof shell that I am going to use as an outter layer. I am going to start getting outside at least once a week this winter to break apart the boring treadmill runs. I got on the trainer tonight for a nice hour ride, which I felt pretty strong, its amazing what a few days rest can do. I progressively built through some gearing, although I am working without cadence since I offloaded my 305 setup for my new 310 and a powertap that should be in the plans with some xmas cash. Its amazing I am 2/2 workouts since joining this group! Lets see how close I can stick to the plan. I really want to start building up a plan, but I need to read a bit more of the Training Bible to start getting some good base/build periods to prepare for next season!I love keeping up on the forums, and I think this group is going to keep me busy!
2009-12-15 11:40 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
TriFrog93 - 2009-12-15 7:38 PM

I love to run outside! Regardless of weather. Just got back from trail in the mtns running in the dark and in the pouring rain! It all comes down to how you dress. You want to start off a little chilly. You will warm quickly. If you don't feel good doing this dress with easy layers. On you run of no rain I would have gone with tights, long sleeve Smartwool shirt, and a vest! If it was still to chilly I would add a beanie and light gloves (both of which you can ditch in your pockets when you warm up).
2009-12-16 5:59 AM

User image

Champion
Ok people the day has arrived....who is racing this weekend? and what are your goals?
For those who are new, I am the official cheerleader for all of you and post a question like this every Wednesday to get us excited for the upcoming weekend!

It dawned on me, the racing might be subsiding a bit for some of us, so how about a new question for the week?  What is the one thing you are most proud of in your '09 triathlon season and why?  if you haven't done a tri yet, what are you most proud of accomplishing athletically?

For me, it's hands down learning how to swim well enough to complete a HIM.  After never learning as a child because I was very scared of the water and the nearly drowning in Hawaii on my honeymoon 19 years ago, it is the single hardest/most humiliating thing I have ever done and by far the most rewarding.  While I am slower than a turtle on land, I could swim forever (ok maybe not that long) and that is amazingly gratifying for this land lover. 

Suzy

2009-12-16 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2561128

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 7:20 PM
Reno8 - 2009-12-15 7:50 PM Finally time for my Bio...

Family Status:

Current Training: 

Steve

Welcome to the chaos of SWBKRUN Steve!  The fact that you have cut out almost all sugar makes you a better person than me....in fact most of you eat way fewere snack calories them me.  YIKES.....you people are disciplined!

Where in the world did that come from??? That was a pretty big tangent...

edit......nevermind> I am clueless sometimes.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-12-16 8:55 AM
2009-12-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2561458

User image

Expert
SSMinnow - 2009-12-16 6:59 AM Ok people the day has arrived....who is racing this weekend? and what are your goals?

What is the one thing you are most proud of in your '09 triathlon season and why? 

Yay! I need a cheerleader! Thanks Suzy.

I am not racing this weekend, I will be cleaning like a madwoman and preparing for my daughter's first birthday party on Sunday. My goals are to have the house in shape for everyone, have lots of food and drinks on hand, bake a delicious cake, and not lose my mind in the process. I am also trying to be very mindful of making everything as "birthday-like" and "unChristmassy" as possible. We're going to have a Mexican theme!

In my triathlon season I am most proud of winning my two first-ever races. I am also very proud of not quitting after a terrible swim during the Toronto Island Tri and battling back, training extra hard to prepare for the OLY. After the Toronto race, I literally thought that a 1500m OWS might kill me. But I was prepared to kick some a$$, if only I hadn't broken my ankle.

BTW - all you no sugar peeps are awesome!! I would LOVE to go sugar-free, but I think my body might go into shock. I couldn't do it, but I will be inspired by you all to at least try and cut down.
2009-12-16 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2561731

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
TrevorC - 2009-12-16 9:25 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-12-15 7:20 PM
Reno8 - 2009-12-15 7:50 PM

Where in the world did that come from??? That was a pretty big tangent....

I am old enough to remember when the BeeGees started....cute video Suzy.

My limiter is also swimming and something I am starting to work on in the next 2-3 weeks.  Having to change pools and workout times due to moving is a hassle, but worth it if I can get up to speed with swimming.  The main issue I have is with endurance.  I was a swimmer in college and have a decent stroke but I just have never liked swimming for distance...hence...no in-water endurance, mostly in the shoulders and arms.

Working on the upper body while doing my core work this winter so we'll see if that helps.

Steve

2009-12-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2560569

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Terps421 - 2009-12-15 2:55 PM How many of you eat a snack before bed?  This is not something I do but my Tri-club had a speaker who has competed at Kona several times and he said you should have a snack before you go to bed if you work out in the morning.

I think it depends on if you are truly hungry or not and if you work out at night.  We tend to eat dinner early in our house 5:30 or so.  And I have a few evening workouts so it's not uncommon for me to have a smoothie, bowl of cereal, toast w/ pb or popcorn at night or before bed.  I'll also have a small snack when I wake up before working out b/c I'm starving.

It just goes along w/ all other eating logic, eat when you are hungry and make it count.  Don't eat out of boredom.  If I'm getting ready for bed and I'm so hungry it hurts then I'll have a small snack.  If not, I go to bed.  Anyways calories are calories as long as you are eating the correct amount for your goals then it doesn't matter (other then fueling and refueling for workouts) when you eat them.

One other thing I've tried to do along the way.  Your basic diet of breakfast/lunch/dinner along w/ snacks should be the same regardless of your training.  I add my extra calories w/ pre, during and post workout food.  This has prevented me from getting used to eating like a horse then having trouble scaling back during recovery periods.  There are exceptions of course but it seems to be working for now.
2009-12-16 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

SSMinnow - 2009-12-16 5:59 AM Ok people the day has arrived....who is racing this weekend? and what are your goals?

It dawned on me, the racing might be subsiding a bit for some of us, so how about a new question for the week?  What is the one thing you are most proud of in your '09 triathlon season and why?  if you haven't done a tri yet, what are you most proud of accomplishing athletically?

No racing for me this weekend but good luck to anyone who is!

The thing I'm most proud of is just completing my first 2 tri's - both sprints and I finished well in the BOP for both, but I finished!

Janet

2009-12-16 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Sin City
if you haven't done a tri yet, what are you most proud of accomplishing athletically?

Suzy

For me - Definitely completing the 51.6 mile ride (previous longest ride was 32 miles just two weeks prior), including the Red Rock Scenic Loop. One of the few very tough bike courses in Las Vegas. 13 miles - 5 miles of those is all uphill (5% to 8% grade).  I would have done a metric, but the sun was really beating down at me, and I didn't feel like going another couple miles and had about 15 miles on top of that to turn around back to the hotel where the Charity ride was taken place.   I had still have bike shorts tan lines from that ride.  However, I injured my back severely, rendering me bike-less for a couple weeks.  It was *SO* worth it!    Oh yeah, and losing 20 pounds to boot. :-D
2009-12-16 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
TriFrog93 - 2009-12-15 10:38 PM

Someone once told me it is 10 degrees colder on the bike (wind factor) and 10 degrees warmer when running (metabolic heat) so dress according to that.  Personally I would rather be hot than cold, and  I usually take walk breaks on long runs in which I will catch a chill, so I tend to over dress.  Keeping the head, ears and fingers covered can do a lot to keep you warm.  Also arm warmers are a great invention for varying temperatures.  Clothes that wick are essential but don't have to be expensive.  I am dying to try some wool.  Keep hearing wonderful stuff about it.

Speaking of clothes I decided my next round of sports purchases are biking clothes.  I think I am the only person who has more bikes than jerseys!!    2 bikes with only one jersey and 1 pair of tri shorts and 1 pair of bike shorts.  I need some bike clothes!!!!!
2009-12-16 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-12-16 5:59 AM Ok people the day has arrived....who is racing this weekend? and what are your goals?
For those who are new, I am the official cheerleader for all of you and post a question like this every Wednesday to get us excited for the upcoming weekend!

For me, it's hands down learning how to swim well enough to complete a HIM.  After never learning as a child because I was very scared of the water and the nearly drowning in Hawaii on my honeymoon 19 years ago, it is the single hardest/most humiliating thing I have ever done and by far the most rewarding.  While I am slower than a turtle on land, I could swim forever (ok maybe not that long) and that is amazingly gratifying for this land lover. 

Suzy

No race for me - the thing I am most proud of is getting off my fat butt and getting moving!  In March I pried myself out of the couch  - by October I was doing an olympic distance triathlon!  I lost about 30lbs along the way, but also learned some things about myself along the way! 

2009-12-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2561836

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-12-16 8:56 AM
TriFrog93 - 2009-12-15 10:38 PM

Someone once told me it is 10 degrees colder on the bike (wind factor) and 10 degrees warmer when running (metabolic heat) so dress according to that.  Personally I would rather be hot than cold, and  I usually take walk breaks on long runs in which I will catch a chill, so I tend to over dress.  Keeping the head, ears and fingers covered can do a lot to keep you warm.  Also arm warmers are a great invention for varying temperatures.  Clothes that wick are essential but don't have to be expensive.  I am dying to try some wool.  Keep hearing wonderful stuff about it.

Speaking of clothes I decided my next round of sports purchases are biking clothes.  I think I am the only person who has more bikes than jerseys!!    2 bikes with only one jersey and 1 pair of tri shorts and 1 pair of bike shorts.  I need some bike clothes!!!!!

ha. same here.  i'm always to jarrett about this but i never do anything about it. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN- Miles and Miles ahead!!!! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 230