Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-14 8:48 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN
Originally posted by TankBoy

On a whim I submitted an application for one of our faster local teams, but can't imagine I will make the cut - it always seems like they have plenty of reasonably fast middle-aged dudes already. If I do make the team somehow then I will pretty much race whatever events they tell me to.

a cycling team or tri team ?

2013-11-14 9:03 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by TankBoy On a whim I submitted an application for one of our faster local teams, but can't imagine I will make the cut - it always seems like they have plenty of reasonably fast middle-aged dudes already. If I do make the team somehow then I will pretty much race whatever events they tell me to.
a cycling team or tri team ?

Tri team.

2013-11-14 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Have you guys established your race schedule for 2014 ?

I am struggling to figure out what I want to do.

The only race I have set in stone is St. George 70.3 in May. I'd like to find another late season HIM as well, but a lot is going to end up depending on my location. There's a chance I'll be moving from TX, but not 100% sure yet.

I've also got some ideas for 2015 given that SG70.3 falls at a time that makes me not able to do a few races that interest me, so they're already short listed for the following year
2013-11-14 10:04 AM

User image

If I can get skinny enough, Haleakala will be my A race. With other bike races around it.
2013-11-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N If I can get skinny enough, Haleakala will be my A race. With other bike races around it.

How's that going?  I was up to 170.5 after the cruise (first time I saw a 7 in the middle since before IMMT last year) - down to 169 earlier this week.

2013-11-14 10:09 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N If I can get skinny enough, Haleakala will be my A race. With other bike races around it.

How's that going?  I was up to 170.5 after the cruise (first time I saw a 7 in the middle since before IMMT last year) - down to 169 earlier this week.

I got sick and lost 4 more pounds - almost to race weight! 

2013-11-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-11-14 10:23 AM
in reply to: Jason N

2013-11-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Not sure, but since I am going to go with a coach for 2014

Yes, I saw that on the coach's web site :-)

I am going an alternate route this year. I won't be using a coach.
2013-11-14 10:51 AM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-11-14 10:54 AM
2013-11-14 10:56 AM

2013-11-14 11:00 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Fred DNot sure, but since I am going to go with a coach for 2014
Yes, I saw that on the coach's web site :-)I am going an alternate route this year. I won't be using a coach.
. What's next, are you planning on getting rid of your power meter? You and I are doing a switcheroo? Lol

Yes, getting rid of my powermeter. A stop watch and a speedo is all I need.

2013-11-14 11:05 AM

Elite
Ontario

Neil, you should at least try to get in a run race while there!  Where are you going, we'll pick one for you.    I have a buddy that did the 10 mile Paris - Versailles and said it was awesome.

I'll actually be on the island of Malta.  I went to boarding school there for my last 3 years of high school.  Very distant but fond memories.

2013-11-14 1:51 PM

I got all the way up to 165 after a weekend of way too much food and beer. First time I saw a 6 as the middle number all year. Back down to around 162, and I hope to get back under 160 by in a week or so. Then it's just a matter of being sensible, which I haven't been since Kona. Way too much ice cream...but I don't feel bad about it as I had a really long season. But time to buckle down now. Just going back to eating sensible should get me to around 150-153 by the end of January. Then it's just a matter of being more than sensible. I know I can get down to around 140-145...it's just if I will be willing to make the sacrifices.

I was around 158 when I did my PR of 3:37. The general rule of thumb for that climb is 1 minute per pound lost (assuming the same power). Sub 3:20 would be a nice number to shoot for.
2013-11-14 11:24 PM

3;3X up Haleakala.   Unreal.   I didn't go hard at 4:30 or so and was cooked at the top.

Weight - yeah.  About 8-10 above IM Canada weight......   

2014.  Decided to give NOLA a shot so

NOLA 70.3
Wildflower Oly (maybe long course)
Escape From Alcatraz
Redondo Beach Sprint
Breath of Life Olympic
Pier 2 Pier 2 mile swim
SOS
Silverman
Catalina Eco Marathon (pie in the sky trail marathon on catalina island.... we'll see)

2014 is stacked.  2015 may be less racing as we've already booked 2 dive trips including Micronesia

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-14 11:25 PM
2013-11-15 6:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

NOLA 70.3
Escape From Alcatraz
Redondo Beach Sprint
Breath of Life Olympic
Pier 2 Pier 2 mile swim
SOS
Silverman
Catalina Eco Marathon (pie in the sky trail marathon on catalina island.... we'll see)

2014 is stacked. 

Wow, that is stacked!

I am the opposite. I will do a light 2014 (race wise) and maybe try IM in 2015

Edited by marcag 2013-11-15 6:37 AM

2013-11-15 7:12 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Agreed, that is stacked!!  I found out this morning that a couple of local friends are doing Alcatraz next year as well.  Apparently it's what all the cool kids are doing!  

Marc, what made you decide to go without a coach next year?

2013-11-15 7:35 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

NOLA 70.3
Escape From Alcatraz
Redondo Beach Sprint
Breath of Life Olympic
Pier 2 Pier 2 mile swim
SOS
Silverman

2014 is stacked. 

Wow, that is stacked! I am the opposite. I will do a light 2014 (race wise) and maybe try IM in 2015

Looks like a sweet schedule.  I would never be able to do a marathon at the tail end of that schedule...mainly from a mental standpoint.  I feel like I struggle from the mental burn-out of racing more so than the physical.  I rarely do more than 5 triathlons a year.

I am thinking possibly 3 HIM's and 2 Olympics in 2014.

2013-11-15 7:46 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Yes, very excited to work with this coach next year. He is someone who I have known for awhile and really like his approach. *I* think I burned out completely in 2011 largely relating to too much volume with a coach that simply did not understand my schedule. I don't have any worries with that issue this time around.

Hope that works out for you Fred!  Look forward to following along.  As far as your schedule - do you ever sleep?

2013-11-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: rymac

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rymac

NOLA 70.3
Escape From Alcatraz
Redondo Beach Sprint
Breath of Life Olympic
Pier 2 Pier 2 mile swim
SOS
Silverman

2014 is stacked. 

Wow, that is stacked! I am the opposite. I will do a light 2014 (race wise) and maybe try IM in 2015

Looks like a sweet schedule.  I would never be able to do a marathon at the tail end of that schedule...mainly from a mental standpoint.  I feel like I struggle from the mental burn-out of racing more so than the physical.  I rarely do more than 5 triathlons a year.

I am thinking possibly 3 HIM's and 2 Olympics in 2014.

yeah, that should be a heck of a year!

Ryan, which ones are you looking at?

2013-11-15 8:15 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Ben - Looking at probably Grand Rapids HIM (which is also USAT Long Course Nationals this year), Steelhead 70.3 & Tawas Bay HIM which is a smaller race near the thumb of MI on Lake Huron.

I cannot stray far from home these days!

2013-11-15 8:32 AM

Extreme Veteran

Agreed, that is stacked!!  I found out this morning that a couple of local friends are doing Alcatraz next year as well.  Apparently it's what all the cool kids are doing!  

Marc, what made you decide to go without a coach next year?

It's a combination of things.
First of all, I think the coach I had was amazing. He is known as one of the best and has certainly earned the reputation. When I go back to a coach, I will be calling him back.

It isn't cheap, but then again when I look at the limited number of athletes these guys can take on but still make a living, it's cheap. Money was a small part of it. Not that I can't afford it, but I decided that money would be better spent elsewhere. You can spend an infinite amount of money on this sport and I do plan to spend some, but I spend it elsewhere. For example, I would like to do more camps/travel. I may go to one of his camps this spring. I will probably go on a cycling camp or two or more. I will spend the money on this type of stuff.

The biggest reason is I plan to focus a little less on the short term and work more on the long term. In order of weakness I would say my bike and swim are about the same and my run is better.

To truly improve on the bike, I will join a road biking club and ride a lot with a group. I will try and TT more. I think if I do a few months of trainer and then focus on riding with roadies, my bike will improve. I didn't need a tri-coach for this.

I am working my swim. I swim 4-5 times per week and I am seeing big improvements. I will join masters in the next session although I am signed up for swim meets with them, I might try for World's if I can see some more short term improvement. Again, swim with swimmers. Did not need a tri-coach here

Run, I know what I need to do : run. I will do the ST100 challenge. No need for a tri-coach here. I will probably run with a local run team just to get some track time, some meets and try to find the right folks to run with. I remember 30 years ago this is how my father improved his run significantly. He met Ed Whitlock at the local club and they ran together and pushed each other.

So while I bike with bikers, run with runners and swim with swimmers I didn't really need a coach and especially I wanted to get off a schedule preparing me for a specific race at the beginning of the year.

I will do the above for 6 months and re-assess. I will probably then focus on Tremblant 70.3WC while doing some Olys. I figure if I can get my swim in order I could do well at those. Believe it or not, I swam sub 20' 1500 about 35 years ago :-)

I will volunteer at Tremblant IM and maybe register for next year. Do one or two and then see if it makes sense to try for the big one.

Last year I coached a bit and I may do some of that as well. For fun, not money.

2013-11-15 11:34 AM

Elite
Ontario

Marc - I think you'd do very well with coaching people. (For money or otherwise)

2013-11-15 11:54 AM

NOLA 70.3
Escape From Alcatraz
Redondo Beach Sprint
Breath of Life Olympic
Pier 2 Pier 2 mile swim
SOS
Silverman

2014 is stacked. 

The mary at the end is something that's been on my list for a while, and I figure that maybe the trail run training for SOS (18 miles total runing) would lead into that nicely.  We'll see.

As for the rest, yeah written out it seems like a lot.  But mostly it's an "experiental" season rather than a "racing" season.  I know there are differences of opinion as to B races, or not racing every race all out.  Plan is to "race" NOLA, then experience Wildflower and Escape.  Two shorter "races" leading to experiencing SOS (pier to pier is just a usual sunday training day that time of year)

Silverman is getting the band back together, as essentially all of my training group are doing it, including one guy who was my primary training partner for a few years and relly got me into the sport and making it a comeback (tho he's done this a few times before and not made it to the starting line, so we'll see).

So there is a kind of logic to it......

Edited by ChrisM 2013-11-15 11:56 AM
2013-11-15 12:51 PM

Chris - that sounds like a fun 2014. I does seem busy, but with no IM in there it's not that much different than this year huh?

Marc - with how little calories you take in for a HIM, what type of plan do you think you would need for a IM? Would it be "easier" to manage because of the lower effort involved in the race? I'm amazed how you can race so fast given your limitations on sugar intake.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.