Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-19 4:07 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by ligersandtions
Originally posted by GoFaster

Question - to swim 33min for HIM, what type of pool times do you think are needed.  Say the pace for 10x100M on :15 RI.

I swam 34min for my HIM and just went back to my logs to get an idea of what I was doing. I have one entry in there that says "9x100 on 1:45 -- this actually felt surprisingly easy and most came in at 1:36 (with the first and last each being faster)". This is in an SCM pool. So to go a minute faster over 1900m, I suspect you'd want to be doing somewhere in the 1:35-1:40/100m pace. Just out of curiosity, why do you want a specific rest interval, rather than a specific working interval? I don't have a swimming background (so take this with a grain of salt), but I've found that I'm not super fast, but one of my strengths is that I don't require a lot of rest. So whether I give myself 15s rest or 5s rest, my pace doesn't seem to be affected as much....and giving myself less rest, I think, results in better fitness.

Nicole hit on it (IMO).  To me, RI gives you an out.  If you are doing 10 x 100 with :15 RI, you can go 2:00/100, 1:20/100, etc... and rest :15.  Just my .02, but even for me - I am a pretty honest guy and will push myself to finish prescribed workouts - I do go easier if it's a RI vs. a hard sendoff. 

2013-11-19 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions
So whether I give myself 15s rest or 5s rest, my pace doesn't seem to be affected as much....and giving myself less rest, I think, results in better fitness.

I believe the "optimal" is to swim at threshold and then get about 10 seconds rest,

Let's say your true threshold pace is 1:35, You can do them at 1:35 and take 10 seconds rest. Or you can swim at 1:44 and take 1 sec rest. The second will have less benefit.
Too much rest you lose some benefit
Too high above threshold, even with less rest you lose some benefit.

2013-11-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Good feedback everyone - good swim fitness this year, not so much swim speed.  Good to know what i need to work towards.

2013-11-20 8:23 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

They have posted the entire finish line video for this past Sunday's IM AZ here.   I came in at about 5:11:20 into the video.

2013-11-20 1:55 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
A late congrats on Arizona! Nice work and good to hear you joined e3. Jorge had been on my short list of coaches to use from a few years ago before e3 and told myself I'd give a look if I could ever afford coaching again.
2013-11-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by JAYCT A late congrats on Arizona! Nice work and good to hear you joined e3. Jorge had been on my short list of coaches to use from a few years ago before e3 and told myself I'd give a look if I could ever afford coaching again.

Thanks!  I've actually known Jorge from here at BT for many years and recently joined his company as an Associate Coach.  Sounds weird that I hired him as my coach this fall if I'm one of his coaches, but I was at the point in my IM career where I needed an outside, objective observer to provide input.  I think we have a good path outlined for 2014.

2013-11-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I had my first taste of winter running of the season.  Slush, ice and wind made it a shorter than planned run!

I think that's my first real whine of the winter isn't it?

2013-11-20 3:53 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

I had my first taste of winter running of the season.  Slush, ice and wind made it a shorter than planned run!

I thought about wearing a long sleeve shirt on my morning run down to the beach.  thought about it.....

2013-11-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by ChrisM

I thought about wearing a long sleeve shirt on my morning run down to the beach.  thought about it.....

Yeah, I've been pretty whiny (in my logs) about temps in the 50's....winter sucks! Pretty sure slush and ice would mean suffering on the treadmill for me. I think you should move somewhere warmer
2013-11-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran

I refuse to give in
It was -3c but I ran in shorts !!
2013-11-20 6:57 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag

I refuse to give in It was -3c but I ran in shorts !!

0c is as cold as it'a gotten to yet - still in shorts as well.  Keep telling myself I can't wear my tights at work and look like a girly man in front of co-workers...

2013-11-20 7:44 PM

User image

0c is as cold as it'a gotten to yet - still in shorts as well.  Keep telling myself I can't wear my tights at work and look like a girly man in front of co-workers...

On Sunday, my car ran out of A/C coolant and I was roasting.

2013-11-21 7:43 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by Jason N

There's a reason people don't like you...

2013-11-21 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I did a Ragnar Trail Relay race last weekend in CA. Just posted the RR if anyone is interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Pretty cool race....I did it just for fun, though we did have some speedy guys on our team!
2013-11-21 5:15 PM

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions I did a Ragnar Trail Relay race last weekend in CA. Just posted the RR if anyone is interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... Pretty cool race....I did it just for fun, though we did have some speedy guys on our team!

Nicole I like how you just show up like a ninja and say oh yeah, just did a ragnar 

2013-11-21 10:53 PM

User image

I don't know about that...I went to the beach last weekend and all the pretty girls in bikinis seemed to like me just fine. 

2013-11-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Check out the section between 8:00 and 8:20.  The defining moments when I realized Ward had me.  LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EjsJsC842Tc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEjsJsC842Tc%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&app=desktop

Edited by Jason N 2013-11-21 10:59 PM
2013-11-21 11:41 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

I don't know about that...I went to the beach last weekend and all the pretty girls in bikinis seemed to like me just fine. 

Yeah, I also thought this was more like #117. 

2013-11-22 11:25 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Are email notifications down for you all? Seems to be for me and it almost caused me to miss the annual migration of Canadians when they all flock inside for a long, dark winter of training.....

Yeah, I too hate tights, but at about -3c I gotta put something else on other than shorts. I actually have a very lightweight pair of man-capri tights that are awesome (I SWEAR they have a "men's" tag on the waist band) but you do have to have a fair amount of confidence to wear such a thing. They are much, much better than tights for fast running down to about -6c ~ -7c maybe.

2013-11-22 11:37 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I wasn't getting emails while the server replacement was going on but I've been fine since.

We did an interesting set in the pool this morning.  10 x 50 with 1-3 and 6-8 being  on :40 (so only a very short rest) and holding the best avg pace we could for those.  Two ez 50s for 4,5 and 9,10.  Next was 3 x 500 with the 1st, 5th and 10th 50 at the same pace as the fast 50s in the from before.  

Not easy at all!!!  We also didn't know about the 500s until after we had finished the 50s.

2013-11-22 11:37 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ligersandtionsI did a Ragnar Trail Relay race last weekend in CA. Just posted the RR if anyone is interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... Pretty cool race....I did it just for fun, though we did have some speedy guys on our team!

Nicole - thanks for the write up of the Ragnar - sounds like you guys had a great time and were fairly competitive? How did you finish in the mixed category? We did the Tennesee Ragnar back in 2011 and it is easily one of the most fun events I have participated in. When they announced a few months ago that they were adding a trail race here in Georgia this coming spring we had a team put together inside of about 10 minutes, so very much looking forward to it. I hope they have the little kinks you mentioned worked out by the time they bring the event here, but regardless I know it will be a lot of fun!!

2013-11-22 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by TankBoy

Are email notifications down for you all? Seems to be for me and it almost caused me to miss the annual migration of Canadians when they all flock inside for a long, dark winter of training.....

Yeah, I too hate tights, but at about -3c I gotta put something else on other than shorts. I actually have a very lightweight pair of man-capri tights that are awesome (I SWEAR they have a "men's" tag on the waist band) but you do have to have a fair amount of confidence to wear such a thing. They are much, much better than tights for fast running down to about -6c ~ -7c maybe.

Rusty, I grew up in small town Georgia. Any man down there that wore "man capri's" - regardless of the tag - had better be able to run fast. 

I'm not doing much right now other than easy running. Nothing long but I'm getting out there 6 days a week and it t feels pretty good. 

2013-11-22 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by ligersandtionsI did a Ragnar Trail Relay race last weekend in CA. Just posted the RR if anyone is interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... Pretty cool race....I did it just for fun, though we did have some speedy guys on our team!

Nicole - thanks for the write up of the Ragnar - sounds like you guys had a great time and were fairly competitive? How did you finish in the mixed category? We did the Tennesee Ragnar back in 2011 and it is easily one of the most fun events I have participated in. When they announced a few months ago that they were adding a trail race here in Georgia this coming spring we had a team put together inside of about 10 minutes, so very much looking forward to it. I hope they have the little kinks you mentioned worked out by the time they bring the event here, but regardless I know it will be a lot of fun!!

They only have preliminary results posted, so they don't have any rankings or anything. There were 237 teams total and no way to filter for open/mixed teams. Someone on our team said it looked like we were the 9th fastest open/mixed team, but not really sure how many there were in that category!

One of the guys on our team raced the Vegas Ragnar road race the weekend before and their team was first in their category and I think second or third overall. Four of the guys on our team were quite speedy -- one of the girls is also very fast, but has been dealing with some bronchial issues. Three of us were literally just there to have fun, and we knew going in that we wouldn't be fast, which is quite okay with me.

Very cool that you were able to get a team set up so quickly! You guys will have a great time! And if, for any reason, anyone has to drop out, we had great luck getting spots filled (a last minute injury caused one of our original teammates to have to drop out Wednesday before the race and we were able to get it filled -- and she still came to support and hang out with us, so that was very cool).
2013-11-22 5:09 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by kcarroll

Rusty, I grew up in small town Georgia. Any man down there that wore "man capri's" - regardless of the tag - had better be able to run fast. 

What do they do to guys who run in their wive's lululemon shorts ?
2013-11-22 5:38 PM

User image

Originally posted by kcarroll Rusty, I grew up in small town Georgia. Any man down there that wore "man capri's" - regardless of the tag - had better be able to run fast. 
What do they do to guys who run in their wive's lululemon shorts ?

It's all starting to make sense now.  If I want to get faster on the run, I too need to either wear capris or women's running shorts.  Is this something Shane recommends?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.