Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-27 6:46 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by Fred D Thought I would share a story.... Posted on FB as well about this, but got a chance to swim with my 11yo daughter on Sunday and she actually made a workout for me. It was fun, with lots of IM and IM kick sets. She was giving me some advice as well. Then we did a few races. 100 free, 50 free and 100 IM. She beat me in the 100 free, I beat her in the 50 free and the 100 IM was a dead heat. It was tremendous fun for both of us and she wants to do it again real soon. She swims in a big meet in a few weeks, and interestingly enough, for those longer in the tooth here, Gadzooks (Mike Gadzminski) will be up with his daughter who will swim at the meet as well. I think his daughter is in a younger age group, but will be interesting to see our kids swim. Mike btw has finished as second overall amateur at eagleman 70.3 previously, so it's quite possible his daughter will swim pretty fast lol. Anyway, just checking in and letting you know my neat story with my daughter!

Cool stuff, Fred. Keep having fun with her, the time goes by pretty quickly.

2013-11-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by ligersandtions
I may run to the bike shop or REI just so I can look at the sizes in person. It's probably not a big deal seeing as it'll be mounted on the bike (probably with the Z4 BTA cage), but I do prefer something compact, so the 500 has that going for it...

For me, the 800 just just just fits. The reason is that when I put it on you have to put in the mount then rotate 90 degrees. It fits fine once rotated, but it's tight when I insert it in the connector since the longer dimension is now between the bars. I'd have to draw a picture :-)

Here are a couple of pics of mine:
BTA Bottle and Computer Setup.

BTA Bottle and Computer Setup.

I have swapped that X-Lab Torpedo cage out for an Aurus (I think). The X-Lab did not hold a bottle firmly enough allowing it to slip forward on rough roads. The Aurus is cut back just like the Torpedo (allowing you to pop the bottle in and out more vertically) but it still has a tab/loop on the front that catches the indention on the bottle keeping it from sliding forward.
2013-11-27 7:40 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
I can't see the pics at work, but if the computer is mounted like I think it is (directly between the bars, not on a cage), mine just won't work like that. My bars are too close together that even my 910 doesn't fit between them, let alone a computer that is larger. So that's a big reason why I'm considering going with the Z4 set-up.

Having a watch on my wrist is not conducive to actually being able to pace off of it. And I really don't want to use the quick disconnect on my 910 and risk losing it in the swim. Maybe I should post a pic of my bars and see if anyone has specific suggestions.
2013-11-27 10:05 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtionsI can't see the pics at work, but if the computer is mounted like I think it is (directly between the bars, not on a cage), mine just won't work like that. My bars are too close together that even my 910 doesn't fit between them, let alone a computer that is larger. So that's a big reason why I'm considering going with the Z4 set-up. Having a watch on my wrist is not conducive to actually being able to pace off of it. And I really don't want to use the quick disconnect on my 910 and risk losing it in the swim. Maybe I should post a pic of my bars and see if anyone has specific suggestions.
Yes, rusty's computer is between the bars. I had my 910 like that McGyver'd with zip ties and PVC for a while. Placement was good visually but it interfered with comfortable hand position in aero. Z4 is a great alternative. It does require a quick downward look tho as the screen is not in line of sight The cage speedfil has come up with is pretty solid too. Just my .02 on the z4
2013-11-27 11:42 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Gotta love these VO2 workouts. 5 x 3'@115-117%. If you aren't nervous going in then the goal isn't strong enough or you're just stupid.  Every time I think I'll just ride easier afterward for a bit to pick up some additional riding, but whenever I go above 60% this feeling of "Slow down! Don't fall over!" comes on strong.

2013-11-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Gotta love these VO2 workouts. 5 x 3'@115-117%. If you aren't nervous going in then the goal isn't strong enough or you're just stupid.  Every time I think I'll just ride easier afterward for a bit to pick up some additional riding, but whenever I go above 60% this feeling of "Slow down! Don't fall over!" comes on strong.

I'm doing 4 x 3' @ 118% tomorrow.  I wasn't too worried.... until now!   I mean I did 4 x 2:30 last week, how much harder could those 30" be?  

2013-11-27 11:58 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

I'm doing 4 x 3' @ 118% tomorrow.  I wasn't too worried.... until now!   I mean I did 4 x 2:30 last week, how much harder could those 30" be?  

Kinda like when we have 125's in masters. Hate those d#$& things. It's just one more length!

2013-11-27 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Yeah those hurt really bad...leg searing pain bad!

Ar e you guys taking complete recovery after each interval or doing them on like 5:00 SI?

2013-11-27 3:06 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

1650TT today in 25:04.  Knocked some time off from 3 weeks ago. 

It certainly hurt like hell .

2013-11-27 3:19 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Originally posted by rymac

Ar e you guys taking complete recovery after each interval or doing them on like 5:00 SI?

Mine are typically 3' on 2' off, so just enough time to start to get in the neighborhood of perhaps benig able to see recovery a few blocks down the road a bit.....

2013-11-27 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Alright, so I took a quick picture of my bars with my 910 sitting on top of them for reference. I could never actually put my computer between the bars because they're too narrow. I thought about mounting my computer where it's sitting in the picture, but that's right where my hands sit when I'm riding, so I didn't want to make myself more uncomfortable than necessary. I'm thinking the Z4 will be decent, even if I have to look down to see the computer. It sure beats leaving it on my wrist, which is what I'm doing right now (though not really trying to pace off it, just use it to check occasionally).

photo bars.jpg

2013-11-27 4:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by rymac

Mine are typically 3' on 2' off, so just enough time to start to get in the neighborhood of perhaps benig able to see recovery a few blocks down the road a bit.....

That's what I did on this one. Recovery was <60%. A VO2 workout is all about pushing in the hard sections. Similarly strong effort throughout the interval for all intervals. The entire rest of the workout is to warm-up for this type of effort and to recover for the next. Overall stats aren't as useful. Just what's in the intervals. Hard parts hard and easy parts easy is especially true for these. There are some workouts that don't have complete recovery or do so at a higher level, other variations as well that go into VO2, but those are more race or situation specific workouts. They'll still provide stress on that aspect, but would not be quite as optimal as what we're doing now.

2013-11-27 5:06 PM

User image

Nicole, have you considered moving your bottle cage back so the back of the bottle is closer to your stem?  That may clear up some room for a computer mount that stis more between your wrists rather than where your hands are.

2013-11-27 5:39 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

Nicole, have you considered moving your bottle cage back so the back of the bottle is closer to your stem?  That may clear up some room for a computer mount that stis more between your wrists rather than where your hands are.

I think that might help too.  

or something like this - http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=3692585#3692585

2013-11-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving.

2013-11-28 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Anyone else run a Turkey Trot this morning?  

I raced a 5k this morning -- real goal was to get a new baseline on my current run fitness, not to get a PR.  Turns out what I've been doing is apparently working for me, so I'm pretty excited....shaved off almost two minutes from my previous PR  

RR posted here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=506483&posts=1#M4905814 

Hope everyone has a good day, Thanksgiving or not.  Anyone else hunting for Black Friday deals?  

2013-11-28 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Anyone else run a Turkey Trot this morning?  

I raced a 5k this morning -- real goal was to get a new baseline on my current run fitness, not to get a PR.  Turns out what I've been doing is apparently working for me, so I'm pretty excited....shaved off almost two minutes from my previous PR  

RR posted here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=506483&posts=1#M4905814 

Hope everyone has a good day, Thanksgiving or not.  Anyone else hunting for Black Friday deals?  

PR and a podium! Congratulations
2013-11-28 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I refuse to give thanks for the foot of snow dumped on us.
2013-11-28 12:17 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag

I refuse to give thanks for the foot of snow dumped on us.

That was a weird storm.  You got a foot of snow, we got +14C and rain.

2013-11-29 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anybody buy anything for Black Friday ?

I bought a MacBook and Apple TV to run a bunch of apps...TP, WKO, GC, ......
2013-11-29 3:16 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

New pair of Hokas....and snow boots.

2013-11-29 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I bought an aerojacket disc cover and am going to be buying a new bike computer.  There's a deal for an Edge 800 for $280, but I'm sorta hoping Garmin is going to have a decent deal for the 810 and I might pick that one up.  They're doing a new deal every day, so I'm just keeping an eye out (the other deal is available through 12/9).

Very cool about the Apple TV!

2013-11-29 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I bought an aerojacket disc cover and am going to be buying a new bike computer.  There's a deal for an Edge 800 for $280, but I'm sorta hoping Garmin is going to have a decent deal for the 810 and I might pick that one up.  They're doing a new deal every day, so I'm just keeping an eye out (the other deal is available through 12/9).

Very cool about the Apple TV!

Watch this until the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyD-em6jp_0

We need a SBR control room
2013-11-29 6:30 PM

User image

Still need to make my wheel cover order, but my main purchase was a new pair of Sidi Five road shoes.  Got a deal for about 30% off.

2013-11-30 2:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.