General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-09-06 12:08 AM
in reply to: #2687568

Regular
Subject: RE: Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread
Skippy74 - Thanks
My question about T1 was related to having a family member being able to drop you off.  How did that look as far as parking and distance to hike in with the "gear"?
Thanks again.

2010-09-06 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3083396

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

adgradiology - 2010-09-06 1:08 AM Skippy74 - Thanks
My question about T1 was related to having a family member being able to drop you off.  How did that look as far as parking and distance to hike in with the "gear"?
Thanks again.

It's easy, my wife went to T1 in the morning with me.  I'm pretty anal about arriving early and was early as usual, but I don't remember there being any issues with parking before I headed from the car to the shuttle bus.  They park a lot of cars on the grass across from the fire station side of the building which I believe is on the west side of the city building.  You'll get a good look at the area on Friday when you drop your bike off.  Everything is an easy walk from the parking area and easy to find.  There's not a whole lot to do, besides drop your SN and T2 bags off, put your T1 bag on the rack in your numbered spot, check your tires, and put your bottles on etc.  Don't forget a porta potty stop as I don't recall there being any at the swim start but may have missed them, there's plenty just outside T1.

The wife watched me leave T1 on the bike and hung out for a little while before heading back to our rental house on the edge of downtown Wilmington.  If your not staying downtown they'll have to find parking which can be found but be warned parking enforcement is a priority to the city so feed the meters, etc.  I'm not sure what to do at the finish area and once your family is there getting back when the half participants are finishing can make getting back to Wilmington tough.  I saw plenty of half folks rolling there bikes and gear over the bridge due to the lines to get back across the river and that's not an easy walk.  It sounded better then 2008 but there were still major backups for half racers.  There's a lot of nice places to eat in Wilmington so hanging out on Water St is an option and they could watch you pass by 2 or 3 times before taking the water taxi or trolley to the finish area.  I recall there being a public restroom on the river front near Market St.

2010-09-06 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
NoVA

Rottie took care of the question very well BUT I'll give you another T1 option (since I was solo).  I parked in the parking lot across from the host hotel in downtown Wilmington---Set Up then provides a shuttle to T1 for athletes (so family couldn't ride that...)---got to T1 with a ton of time (was able to put nutrition on bike and check gear over and still be on the first of the shuttles to the swim start).  This might be an option if your family doesn't want to get up super early to take you to T1 for the shuttle to the swim start...  As Rottie pointed out about downtown parking---make sure you pay (there is a little computer thing you have to pay at---if you don't/forget/don't know where it is you WILL get a ticket...)---that lot across from the host hotel is great because that's where the water shuttle docks so at the end of the race my car was right where I got off the water taxi.......

2010-09-07 12:21 AM

Regular
Thank you so very much for the info.  Great information!!!
Got me a deal on an Orca men's S3 full wetsuit - $175.00.  Figure I should go for the deal since it sounds like my sleeveless might not be enough to make the distance without a loss of feeling...
2010-09-07 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3082181

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected] - 2010-09-04 4:15 PM Did a 5 hour bike and one hour run today.  Felt pretty good.  Kept the HR on the bike in the 130 and avg 17.5. I want to shoot for 19 MPH plus for the B2B bike and I think I can get there before the race.  That puts me under 6 hours on the bike.  Anyone have experience on the bike last year.  What were you training at leading up to the race and what were you able to avg. This is my first IM and I don't want to blow up on the bike and have to walk most of the run.  I know the course is flat.  I have avg 20 plus for 75 miles recently in the last two weeks.  Today I did not push at all.  I wanted to see how I felt.  At my rate today it would be a 6 hour and 24 min bike.  Only about 30 min savings in time that could really be eaten up quick on a run if I blow up.  Any thoughts?

(I'm not a trained professional -- jut an interested bystander, so take this FWIW...)

Here's my take on bike training:  race day should be by far your easiest long ride of the season.  For this reason, I always slay myself for at least part of my long rides.  Yes, you should practice race-day pacing, but you don't need to practice it for 80-100 miles.   35-50 is plenty.   So use race-day pace rehearsal as an easy mid-week ride, and put the hammer down on your long rides.  My 2c.

Here's my (related!) take on bike pacing vs. run pacing:  Yes, it is absolutely worth backing off a bit on the bike to have something left to run.  Indeed, your bike ride (we're talking IM only here!) should feel downright easy, almost like a warm-up for the run.   It goes without saying that you don't want to blow up and walk.  Almost anything you can do on the bike (apart, perhaps, from stopping for lunch) to avoid walking the marathon is worth it.  The real trick, I think, is figuring out where the difference between 'surviving' the run and 'running' the run is.  What I mean is:  how easy do you have to go on the bike to allow you really to run the run as opposed to shuffling/surviving?  This spot is harder to find, and whether it is worth doing is also harder to assess, as it depends a lot on bike and run fitness.  I've been focused on that this year, as last year at IMKY I merely survived the run, and even had to do some walking towards the end (but that was due to an error on the run rather than an error on the bike -- I picked up the pace at mile 20 on the run then fell apart a few miles later.)  My 2c.

HR and power are good metrics, if you train in such a way that you'll know how to use them.  Here's a 'mental trick' that I'm going to use.  Last spring I did a half marathon, and as 'warm-up' for it I biked a couple of hours.  I wanted to do reasonably well at the HM, so during the entire bike ride I was thinking of nothing other than how to be sure that I felt good for the run.  (My natural tendency on the bike is to hammer hard most of the time, so backing off is difficult for me, and requires focus.) My attitude towards the bike was 'this is warm-up'.  I had a pretty good (for me) HM; I was definitely running, not surviving.  So the thought that I'm going to have in my head for the entire bike ride at B2B is 'this is warm-up'.  My penny.

There, you just got a nickel!  

Keep up the great training everyone! 
2010-09-07 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3084618

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Experior - 2010-09-07 8:29 AM
[email protected] - 2010-09-04 4:15 PM Did a 5 hour bike and one hour run today.  Felt pretty good.  Kept the HR on the bike in the 130 and avg 17.5. I want to shoot for 19 MPH plus for the B2B bike and I think I can get there before the race.  That puts me under 6 hours on the bike.  Anyone have experience on the bike last year.  What were you training at leading up to the race and what were you able to avg. This is my first IM and I don't want to blow up on the bike and have to walk most of the run.  I know the course is flat.  I have avg 20 plus for 75 miles recently in the last two weeks.  Today I did not push at all.  I wanted to see how I felt.  At my rate today it would be a 6 hour and 24 min bike.  Only about 30 min savings in time that could really be eaten up quick on a run if I blow up.  Any thoughts?

(I'm not a trained professional -- jut an interested bystander, so take this FWIW...)

Here's my take on bike training:  race day should be by far your easiest long ride of the season.  For this reason, I always slay myself for at least part of my long rides.  Yes, you should practice race-day pacing, but you don't need to practice it for 80-100 miles.   35-50 is plenty.   So use race-day pace rehearsal as an easy mid-week ride, and put the hammer down on your long rides.  My 2c.

Here's my (related!) take on bike pacing vs. run pacing:  Yes, it is absolutely worth backing off a bit on the bike to have something left to run.  Indeed, your bike ride (we're talking IM only here!) should feel downright easy, almost like a warm-up for the run.   It goes without saying that you don't want to blow up and walk.  Almost anything you can do on the bike (apart, perhaps, from stopping for lunch) to avoid walking the marathon is worth it.  The real trick, I think, is figuring out where the difference between 'surviving' the run and 'running' the run is.  What I mean is:  how easy do you have to go on the bike to allow you really to run the run as opposed to shuffling/surviving?  This spot is harder to find, and whether it is worth doing is also harder to assess, as it depends a lot on bike and run fitness.  I've been focused on that this year, as last year at IMKY I merely survived the run, and even had to do some walking towards the end (but that was due to an error on the run rather than an error on the bike -- I picked up the pace at mile 20 on the run then fell apart a few miles later.)  My 2c.

HR and power are good metrics, if you train in such a way that you'll know how to use them.  Here's a 'mental trick' that I'm going to use.  Last spring I did a half marathon, and as 'warm-up' for it I biked a couple of hours.  I wanted to do reasonably well at the HM, so during the entire bike ride I was thinking of nothing other than how to be sure that I felt good for the run.  (My natural tendency on the bike is to hammer hard most of the time, so backing off is difficult for me, and requires focus.) My attitude towards the bike was 'this is warm-up'.  I had a pretty good (for me) HM; I was definitely running, not surviving.  So the thought that I'm going to have in my head for the entire bike ride at B2B is 'this is warm-up'.  My penny.

There, you just got a nickel!  

Keep up the great training everyone! 

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts on this.  Some good insight into overall race strategy vs one event mentality.  I find myself in the same situation when riding and find it difficult to back off on the bike.   I am going to do over 100 miles this coming Saturday and do another short 5 mile brick when complete and take a little different approach when completing the 100 miles.

2010-09-08 7:18 PM

User image

I have been lurking here for the past few weeks and i am signed up for this race. My training is just starting to hit good breakthrough which is getting me amped for the race. 
I have read a few things about the swim times in the race, and my next door neighbor works with setup and he was telling me that the swim times will be a bit slower this year. Maybe i am beating a dead horse but does anybody have an idea of how much slower the tide will be this year?
anyways i am stoked to be on this thread hope to get some great info here!Smile 
2010-09-08 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3088199

User image

Expert
Raleigh
frobbdog - 2010-09-08 7:18 PM I have been lurking here for the past few weeks and i am signed up for this race. My training is just starting to hit good breakthrough which is getting me amped for the race. 
I have read a few things about the swim times in the race, and my next door neighbor works with setup and he was telling me that the swim times will be a bit slower this year. Maybe i am beating a dead horse but does anybody have an idea of how much slower the tide will be this year?
anyways i am stoked to be on this thread hope to get some great info here!Smile 

There's some info on this topic on th B2B site forum. I say train to swim the distance and consider any extra help from the tide a gift from the IM gods!
2010-09-08 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
someone told me every 4 years theres no current and this year is the year with no current... truth?
2010-09-09 5:37 AM
in reply to: #3088327

User image

Expert
Raleigh
halfpint - 2010-09-08 8:48 PMsomeone told me every 4 years theres no current and this year is the year with no current... truth?
Nah, it all has to do with the timing and size of the tide. Every tidal change is not the same size. But more importantly, low tide on race day is around 6:45 am. For about an hour after that the tide really will not be moving that much. That's known as slack tide. The water will really start pouring into the sound about 8 am. The half distance folks should get a nice little push.Don't get me wrong, we will get help from the current. Prolly not as much as last year though.

Edited by titeloops 2010-09-09 5:39 AM
2010-09-09 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3083396

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
adgradiology - 2010-09-06 1:08 AM Skippy74 - Thanks
Thanks again.

Just to jump on here about your options downtown.
My girlfriend left our hotel at the beach and parked at one of the City parking decks that are listed on the B2B site. There was no charge to park in the deck all day. I did the HIM, so we left at about 5pm. I think they were going to start charging to be in the decks during the night (it is a Saturday night downtown afterall).

2010-09-09 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The advice I've gotten is to wear full sleeve wetsuit and booties for the swim. Anybody ever worn booties on a swim? Any recommendations for brands or use?
2010-09-09 9:54 AM

Greensboro
Is anyone here doing coast to capital ride on 10/2?
2010-09-09 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3088986

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
TriBee - 2010-09-09 9:25 AM

The advice I've gotten is to wear full sleeve wetsuit and booties for the swim. Anybody ever worn booties on a swim? Any recommendations for brands or use?

I wear neoprene booties at the beginning and end of the season to extend my OWS training season. They do help quite a bit especially getting in and out of the water. I have a pair made by Orca that cost about $40. I hardly notice them while I am swimming.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you want be sure that your wetsuit leg is long enough to fit over the top of the bootie. For most this should not be a problem. If you have a wetsuit that is very high on the ankle you may get water flowing into your bootie like a sea anchor.
2010-09-10 9:30 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Just received my pair of Blue Seventy booties.  Cap to come soon.

All those doing the BT IM plan, I just got my daily workout notice and was interested to find a comment in the plan stating this would be a good week to do a Oly, HIM, or running race.  Dang, only planned a sprint for this weekend.  Guess I messed up my training plan as I am not doing an Oly until the end of Oct!
2010-09-11 2:54 AM
in reply to: #3092388

User image

GaryRM - 2010-09-10 10:30 PM

Just received my pair of Blue Seventy booties.  Cap to come soon.

All those doing the BT IM plan, I just got my daily workout notice and was interested to find a comment in the plan stating this would be a good week to do a Oly, HIM, or running race.  Dang, only planned a sprint for this weekend.  Guess I messed up my training plan as I am not doing an Oly until the end of Oct!

Outstanding! I'm doing the Nation's Triathlon, OLY, this weekend. Guess I've got that one covered

I hate taper, even a minor taper, though.

2010-09-11 6:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
TriBee - 2010-09-09 10:25 AM

I thought about wearing some dive booties before the race, but changed my mind due to the fear of them filling with water. After walking on the sand down to the beach and swimming the 2.4 miles my feet were so frozen I didn't even feel them during the run over to T1. In fact, I didn't start feeling my feet until about hour 3 on the bike.
2010-09-11 5:53 PM

User image

TriBee - 2010-09-09 10:25 AM

I bought the Blue 70 booties specifically for the HIM last year. I'm glad I did. A lot of people did not and only occasionally did someone step on a sharp rock or something. I would seriously hate for that to happen right before a century ride followed by a marathon, though.
2010-09-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3092998

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
So Setup sent out the new video for B2B. After a very cool first 15 seconds I was really disappointed with the rest- it sounded like an ad for PPD, rather than something that is inspirational. Ah well. Opportunity missed IMHO.

http://www.beach2battleship.com/
2010-09-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3102547

User image

Master
Raleigh
louiskie - 2010-09-16 2:39 AM So Setup sent out the new video for B2B. After a very cool first 15 seconds I was really disappointed with the rest- it sounded like an ad for PPD, rather than something that is inspirational. Ah well. Opportunity missed IMHO.

holy crap...i'm in the video running with bike...lmao! 
2010-09-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3102547

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
louiskie - 2010-09-16 2:39 PM

So Setup sent out the new video for B2B. After a very cool first 15 seconds I was really disappointed with the rest- it sounded like an ad for PPD, rather than something that is inspirational. Ah well. Opportunity missed IMHO.

The video isn't even from B2B..Don't know what race that was but def not B2B..Oh, well.. a minor detail. What have we got? 7 weeks? (I wish it was tomorrow )

2010-09-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3102568

User image

Extreme Veteran
halfpint - 2010-09-16 2:47 PM
louiskie - 2010-09-16 2:39 AM So Setup sent out the new video for B2B. After a very cool first 15 seconds I was really disappointed with the rest- it sounded like an ad for PPD, rather than something that is inspirational. Ah well. Opportunity missed IMHO.

holy crap...i'm in the video running with bike...lmao! 

Well, that makes it all better :-)
2010-09-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3102700

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
alltom1 - 2010-09-16 3:42 PM
louiskie - 2010-09-16 2:39 PM So Setup sent out the new video for B2B. After a very cool first 15 seconds I was really disappointed with the rest- it sounded like an ad for PPD, rather than something that is inspirational. Ah well. Opportunity missed IMHO.

The video isn't even from B2B..Don't know what race that was but def not B2B..Oh, well.. a minor detail. What have we got? 7 weeks? (I wish it was tomorrow )

Oh no.  No no no no no.  No no no.  Tomorrow would be bad.  Now I'm going to have a nightmare...
2010-09-16 8:47 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
I believe it is 8 weeks away.  I still have two 100+ mile rides and a 4000m swim left to do along with a few bricks. 

As for the video I turned off the sound and it was fine.  Liked the one from last year better.  I guess with being a major sponsor you get some perks.
2010-09-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3103404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Experior - 2010-09-16 9:28 PM
alltom1 - 2010-09-16 3:42 PM
louiskie - 2010-09-16 2:39 PM So Setup sent out the new video for B2B. After a very cool first 15 seconds I was really disappointed with the rest- it sounded like an ad for PPD, rather than something that is inspirational. Ah well. Opportunity missed IMHO.

Oh no.  No no no no no.  No no no.  Tomorrow would be bad.  Now I'm going to have a nightmare...

Yeah, me too. I still have a lot of work to do! 58 days and counting...
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach 2 Battleship Iron Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32