Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-11-30 2:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

I bought a pair of Desoto 400 mile shorts and some Stretchcordz.  They weren't really a Black Friday sale but the Desoto were $30 off and I did get free shipping.

2013-11-30 4:55 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

I bought a pair of Desoto 400 mile shorts and some Stretchcordz.  They weren't really a Black Friday sale but the Desoto were $30 off and I did get free shipping.

Ooohhh, who's got Desoto's for $30 off?  

I picked up two pairs of Kiwami shorts this week as well -- they're probably the ugliest tri shorts ever (seriously, straight out of the 80's), but they are damn comfortable.

2013-11-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

I picked up two pairs of Kiwami shorts this week as well -- they're probably the ugliest tri shorts ever (seriously, straight out of the 80's), but they are damn comfortable.

It's a Canadian site - triboutique.ca - looks like clearance on their 2013 stock.

2013-11-30 5:40 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

FYI: Desoto has a preferred customer discount of 25% (including sale items) through Monday.
2013-12-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

For those who are more experienced runners than I am (so basically everyone in here), I have a question about HR vs RPE.

I did a run today where my HR was within Z1 (zones recalculated based on Thursday's race), but RPE felt much harder than that.  My pace was faster than I'd expected for the HR, probably a bit slower than I'd expected for the RPE....but was not monitoring it throughout the run, so it wasn't like I was chasing a particular pace.

So when your HR and RPE don't seem to match, which do you let dictate?  Should I have slowed down so my RPE felt more in line with a recovery run?  Or given that my HR was within Z1, would you consider it a recovery run?

FWIW, it was shortly after a reasonably hard group ride (high VI, lots of "match burning" efforts) and I'm probably not fully recovered after Thursday's race and yesterday's "long" run.  I'm not surprised that the run felt hard....I was surprised that my HR was low but RPE felt high.

2013-12-01 4:26 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by TankBoy FYI: Desoto has a preferred customer discount of 25% (including sale items) through Monday.

Thanks Rusty, I guess I didn't need that $150 that I just sent to Emilio...

This morning I did one of the harder trainer workouts I've ever done.  30 mins @ 260w (96%), 20 mins @ 270w (100%), 10 mins @ 280w (103%) and then 5 mins @ 290w (107%) with 5 mins in between them.  I had my doubts going into it for sure!  It was the 20 mins @ 100% that I was most worried about for some reason.

2013-12-01 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

For those who are more experienced runners than I am (so basically everyone in here), I have a question about HR vs RPE.

I did a run today where my HR was within Z1 (zones recalculated based on Thursday's race), but RPE felt much harder than that.  My pace was faster than I'd expected for the HR, probably a bit slower than I'd expected for the RPE....but was not monitoring it throughout the run, so it wasn't like I was chasing a particular pace.

So when your HR and RPE don't seem to match, which do you let dictate?  Should I have slowed down so my RPE felt more in line with a recovery run?  Or given that my HR was within Z1, would you consider it a recovery run?

FWIW, it was shortly after a reasonably hard group ride (high VI, lots of "match burning" efforts) and I'm probably not fully recovered after Thursday's race and yesterday's "long" run.  I'm not surprised that the run felt hard....I was surprised that my HR was low but RPE felt high.

Nicole, I don't wear an HR monitor so I don't have any experience with a situation like that but given the hard group ride, long run and recent race I'd be inclined to just go by RPE.

2013-12-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Personally, that kind of run, I would go by RPE over HR especially if it's a recovery run.
your HR may have been abnormally low because of fatigue.

How long was the run ? Sometimes it takes a while for my HR to get where it should be. I would have to push very hard at first to get my HR into the right zones.

What did you use to calculate your zones ?

Personally I use pace over HR over RPE for anything but very easy runs. Opposite for really easy runs : RPE over HR over pace.

Edited by marcag 2013-12-01 6:38 PM
2013-12-01 7:37 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

The run was short -- just over 20 minutes.  I'm running 5x a week and currently at just under 18 mpw, so they're all pretty short and easy.  My plan is to keep everything very easy (conversational, Z2-ish pace) and build my volume up to 25-30 mpw, and hold there for a while.  I don't have plans to add any quality sessions in -- just want a solid base and to stay injury-free.

I determined my zones using the LT field test....the last two miles of my 5k race had my HR holding steady at 172-173 bpm, so I used BT's calculator and put that in as LT and had the zones calculated that way.  I imagine that's probably not the most accurate way to determine zones, but I doubt it's so far off that it would be detrimental.

Good to know that you use RPE over HR and pace for easy runs.  I will give that a try as well.  Normally HR and RPE correlate nicely for me -- this was the first time I've had this issue, so hopefully once I've recovered a bit (tomorrow's a swim only day), it'll go back to being normal.  

2013-12-02 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The run was short -- just over 20 minutes.  I'm running 5x a week and currently at just under 18 mpw, so they're all pretty short and easy.  My plan is to keep everything very easy (conversational, Z2-ish pace) and build my volume up to 25-30 mpw, and hold there for a while.  I don't have plans to add any quality sessions in -- just want a solid base and to stay injury-free.

I determined my zones using the LT field test....the last two miles of my 5k race had my HR holding steady at 172-173 bpm, so I used BT's calculator and put that in as LT and had the zones calculated that way.  I imagine that's probably not the most accurate way to determine zones, but I doubt it's so far off that it would be detrimental.

Good to know that you use RPE over HR and pace for easy runs.  I will give that a try as well.  Normally HR and RPE correlate nicely for me -- this was the first time I've had this issue, so hopefully once I've recovered a bit (tomorrow's a swim only day), it'll go back to being normal.  

I only use RPE for the easy runs because I have a tendency to chase my watch and end up going too hard. If I want to do an easy run, I almost have to hide my watch. Silly but true.
2013-12-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag

I only use RPE for the easy runs because I have a tendency to chase my watch and end up going too hard. If I want to do an easy run, I almost have to hide my watch. Silly but true.

I tend to go with the one that has me running easiest. It makes more sense when knowing I have a tendency to run a bit too hard for these if left on my own. When I'm better rested, HR can go well up into Z3 before feeling like I'm doing anything, even later into a run. When I'm tired going in, and RPE is going up faster than HR (and pace), I'll tend to default to RPE. HR has had a tendency to climb later in such a run more so than normal and I've learned that I'll be more fatigued than I should be the next day or two. So for easier runs, HR & pace are important as they'll act as limiters for me, and also help to confirm if I'm carrying more fatigue than I realized.

2013-12-02 9:07 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by TankBoy FYI: Desoto has a preferred customer discount of 25% (including sale items) through Monday.

This morning I did one of the harder trainer workouts I've ever done.  30 mins @ 260w (96%), 20 mins @ 270w (100%), 10 mins @ 280w (103%) and then 5 mins @ 290w (107%) with 5 mins in between them.  I had my doubts going into it for sure!  It was the 20 mins @ 100% that I was most worried about for some reason.

um...ouch?  That's a brute of a ride.  I love the 290watts for 5min at the end of all that - especially considering I just managed 300watts for a 5min test yesterday when I was fresh.

2013-12-02 9:14 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GoFaster

um...ouch?  That's a brute of a ride.  I love the 290watts for 5min at the end of all that - especially considering I just managed 300watts for a 5min test yesterday when I was fresh.

That sounds fun.

2013-12-02 9:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

That sounds fun.

For you to do that workout Ben, all those numbers are +100w!

I went back and looked at last year's logs and I did a 20 min test on Dec 6th.2012 @ 268w.  I'll take that as a decent indicator of improvement.

2013-12-02 10:37 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

That sounds fun.

For you to do that workout Ben, all those numbers are +100w!

I went back and looked at last year's logs and I did a 20 min test on Dec 6th.2012 @ 268w.  I'll take that as a decent indicator of improvement.

You and I were very similar in terms of raw power going back a couple of years.  One of us has ticked upwards - the other one not so much.  Your hard work is paying off.

2013-12-02 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

If it is a recovery run then I would not even look at my watch during the run, just use RPE.  The goal is for it to be EZ so heart rate or pace could dictate you run faster than you maybe should for the goal of the workout.

Also, the field test protocal really does not translate to a race situation.  I believe the article is making some assumptions based on it NOT being a race.  (I read it a long time ago and also subsequent thread).  You may be better off plugging your 5K time into Daniels or Macmillan and using pace and seeing how your HR translates over a period of time.

I have always just done a 15K, which roughly takes 1 hr and using that as LTHR.

2013-12-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

Extreme Veteran
We agree on all points

Originally posted by rymac
f it is a recovery run then I would not even look at my watch during the run, just use RPE.  The goal is for it to be EZ so heart rate or pace could dictate you run faster than you maybe should for the goal of the workout.

I literally have to put my watch in my back pocket to not look at it. Bad bad habit.

Also, the field test protocal really does not translate to a race situation.  I believe the article is making some assumptions based on it NOT being a race.  (I read it a long time ago and also subsequent thread). 

This was my first idea so I went and checked a 5K race against my LTHR and they matched up fine. Which doesn't make any sense since LTHR should be roughly what you could hold for 1hr, yet this is 20min B@[email protected] I didn't run hard enough ;-)

You may be better off plugging your 5K time into Daniels or Macmillan and using pace and seeing how your HR translates over a period of time.

Agreed or better yet ignore HR and go off Daniels/Macmillan paces. I get more accurate rTSS scores when using 15k as Threshold pace, if your 15k is around 1hr. You can use shorter if you are a bit slower.
2013-12-02 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by marcag We agree on all points
Originally posted by rymac f it is a recovery run then I would not even look at my watch during the run, just use RPE.  The goal is for it to be EZ so heart rate or pace could dictate you run faster than you maybe should for the goal of the workout.
I literally have to put my watch in my back pocket to not look at it. Bad bad habit.
Originally posted by rymac Also, the field test protocal really does not translate to a race situation.  I believe the article is making some assumptions based on it NOT being a race.  (I read it a long time ago and also subsequent thread). 
This was my first idea so I went and checked a 5K race against my LTHR and they matched up fine. Which doesn't make any sense since LTHR should be roughly what you could hold for 1hr, yet this is 20min B@[email protected] I didn't run hard enough ;-)
Originally posted by rymac You may be better off plugging your 5K time into Daniels or Macmillan and using pace and seeing how your HR translates over a period of time.

Agreed or better yet ignore HR and go off Daniels/Macmillan paces. I get more accurate rTSS scores when using 15k as Threshold pace, if your 15k is around 1hr. You can use shorter if you are a bit slower.

Hmmm, very interesting.  I actually figured paying attention to HR rather than chasing a pace would be better. 

Based on my 5k pace, my easy pace should be 9:38 - 10:15 (according to Daniels), so my pace was a hair fast....though McMillan says my easy pace should be 8:43 - 9:43, and I know an 8:43 pace would not be easy for me.  Regardless, I basically ignore pace on all my runs....I run based on RPE typically and cross-check it with HR to make sure I'm where I expect to be. 

And oddly enough, my max HR for my 5k was slightly lower (like 1 bpm) than my max HR for a 20 minute power test (on the trainer).  People seem to say they can't get their HR up on the bike, but I don't seem to have that problem! 

Edited by ligersandtions 2013-12-02 12:58 PM
2013-12-02 1:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

I think many tend to find that. The McMillan & Daniels suggested easy paces tend to be a bit fast. Especially for a triathlete. More common would be around the slower end or a bit behind it.

2013-12-02 4:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran

I think many tend to find that. The McMillan & Daniels suggested easy paces tend to be a bit fast. Especially for a triathlete. More common would be around the slower end or a bit behind it.

I am the opposite. I am always at the faster end of their paces for the easy runs. The slow end feels like I am walking.
Now the Stamina paces are another story :-)
2013-12-02 4:30 PM

User image

Anything ever come of the weight loss challenge here?

Funny how today's weight felt great as I was heading down last year.  Now, heading up, it feels like utter failure.  14# up from the weight I left for IM Canada

Not being able to run complicates things a bit, but hopefully that is a week or two off.....

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-02 4:30 PM

2013-12-02 6:15 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Funny how today's weight felt great as I was heading down last year.  Now, heading up, it feels like utter failure.  14# up from the weight I left for IM Canada

Not being able to run complicates things a bit, but hopefully that is a week or two off.....

I'm still hovering around 160...about 8# more than I raced Honu and Kona.  The bad news is I ate a whole bunch of junk food in the past few weeks.  The good news is there isn't any junk food left in the house...for now. 

I'll set a simple goal to be under 160 by next Monday.  Totally doable...just need to take that first baby step in the right direction. 

2013-12-02 6:45 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChrisM

I'm still hovering around 160...about 8# more than I raced Honu and Kona.  The bad news is I ate a whole bunch of junk food in the past few weeks.  The good news is there isn't any junk food left in the house...for now. 

I'll set a simple goal to be under 160 by next Monday.  Totally doable...just need to take that first baby step in the right direction. 

Yes, it really does just come down to a series of choices

Edited by ChrisM 2013-12-02 6:45 PM
2013-12-03 2:55 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm floating around 168, down a couple from the cruise.  Still looking to drop 5 more.  My trouble is we've discovered some very tasty beer from a local micro brewery.

2013-12-03 7:12 AM

Master
Northern IL

Wasn't in the challenge, but noted I am exactly the same weight today as right before Thanksgiving, so clearly did not enjoy that day enough.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.