http://www.strava.com/activities/98552635

Beast!

2013-12-04 11:17 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Snowstorm here today.  I was stuck in the house for 4 hours with no power emptying the sump pump hole with a bucket to keep it from over flowing into the basement.  That was my replacement workout for a run - up and down the stairs carrying buckets of water!

2013-12-04 11:19 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N

Well...I lost 6 pounds...

Wow!  Nice ride Jason!

Spam Musubi power...I had 2 of them on the ride. 

2013-12-04 11:29 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-12-04 11:41 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Wow!  Nice ride Jason!

spam musubi, definitely a Hawaiian thing

Wowzer on teh ride, well done

2013-12-04 5:33 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Snowstorm here today.  I was stuck in the house for 4 hours with no power emptying the sump pump hole with a bucket to keep it from over flowing into the basement.  That was my replacement workout for a run - up and down the stairs carrying buckets of water!

For kicks and giggles I threw the 910 on last year when I was snow-blowing the driveway after a storm.  Thought it'd be a joke, but turned out to be 1.6 miles of shoving that thing along!  Was actually a workout (kinda).  

2013-12-04 5:36 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Wow!  Nice ride Jason!

Recipe?

I love me some Spam!

No issue with it repeating?  It's tasty, but just a bit fatty…  Do you use just enough for flavor?

Matt

2013-12-04 6:49 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Ultra simple.

Take one slice of Spam, about 1/4 inch thick.  Pan fry it just to brown the outside, make a ball of white rice to match the size of the spam except the rice is about an inch thick.  Wrap it with nori (Japanese dried seaweed).

Tasty, and contains simple carbs (white rice), protein, fat, and salt (spam), and is extremely easy to digest.

Looks like this (in plastic wrap).

(Spam Musubi.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Spam Musubi.jpg (44KB - 6 downloads)
2013-12-05 11:15 AM

Regular
that is gross!!

Question ...

anyone care to comment on the addidas Boost shoes?

I need something for asphalt and track work.
2013-12-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: dustytrails

Elite
PEI, Canada

Had my azz handed to me by a 16 year old girl during a set of 400s in the pool this morning.  I bailed after 3500 meters, they had another 1500m to go in the set and it was the beginning of a taper week for them.  

2013-12-06 8:07 AM

Elite
Ontario

Had my azz handed to me by a 16 year old girl during a set of 400s in the pool this morning.  I bailed after 3500 meters, they had another 1500m to go in the set and it was the beginning of a taper week for them.  

candya$$...

Why, oh why does my swim continue to make me suffer.  I'm not swimming much at the moment, but have added back in some consistency so I'm swimming 3x per week, just over 2000M each time.  Swam on Wednesday and things felt decent, swam this morning and things still felt decent, but at the same effort level on a couple of faster sets and I'm 6-7sec/100M slower than I was 2 days ago.  This constantly happens to me, and is probably the sinlge most frustrating part of swimming, because I don't know what I'm doing differently to cause these huge fluctuations in my pace.  Not sure if anyone has any suggestions, cause every time I make a step forward I take two back - rinse and repeat, and I go absolutely nowhere in terms of improvement.  Two years of trying to improve, and putting in 500K meters in the pool, an increase of 33% volume this year over last year = nothing. </whine>

2013-12-06 8:19 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

candya$$...

Why, oh why does my swim continue to make me suffer.  I'm not swimming much at the moment, but have added back in some consistency so I'm swimming 3x per week, just over 2000M each time.  Swam on Wednesday and things felt decent, swam this morning and things still felt decent, but at the same effort level on a couple of faster sets and I'm 6-7sec/100M slower than I was 2 days ago.  This constantly happens to me, and is probably the sinlge most frustrating part of swimming, because I don't know what I'm doing differently to cause these huge fluctuations in my pace.  Not sure if anyone has any suggestions, cause every time I make a step forward I take two back - rinse and repeat, and I go absolutely nowhere in terms of improvement.  Two years of trying to improve, and putting in 500K meters in the pool, an increase of 33% volume this year over last year = nothing.

Was there anything different between today and Wednesday?

The reason I ask is that about a month ago, I did a 500m set for time.  About a week and a half later, I did another one and was about 12 seconds slower over the 500.  I just figured it was an off day (and my set prior to it was a kick set, which isn't really conducive to being able to swim fast, for me).  Anyways, I did another 500 this morning and was the same exact time as the last time (i.e. 12 seconds slower than my fastest one about a month ago). 

I was thinking about it after and was disappointed....did I peak a month ago and I'm starting to get worse now, despite swimming the same / more??  And then I realized....when I did the 500 a month ago, I was swimming with someone who was swimming just a little faster than me, so I suspect I was getting a decent draft effect.  And when I've done the other two 500's, I've been swimming (effectively) alone, and not getting the draft.

So maybe you were swimming with someone on Wednesday and swimming solo today?  Or maybe you ate something before Wednesday's workout and not today's?  Or maybe you had a hard bike/run last night, but didn't before Wedesday?  Or maybe it just was an off day?

Just throwing out ideas....maybe some of the fishies will have more / better ideas.

2013-12-06 8:25 AM

Extreme Veteran

candya$$...

Why, oh why does my swim continue to make me suffer.  I'm not swimming much at the moment, but have added back in some consistency so I'm swimming 3x per week, just over 2000M each time.  Swam on Wednesday and things felt decent, swam this morning and things still felt decent, but at the same effort level on a couple of faster sets and I'm 6-7sec/100M slower than I was 2 days ago.  This constantly happens to me, and is probably the sinlge most frustrating part of swimming, because I don't know what I'm doing differently to cause these huge fluctuations in my pace.  Not sure if anyone has any suggestions, cause every time I make a step forward I take two back - rinse and repeat, and I go absolutely nowhere in terms of improvement.  Two years of trying to improve, and putting in 500K meters in the pool, an increase of 33% volume this year over last year = nothing.

When you are swimming, how much time to you spend focusing on your technique ?

I spent the first 9 months of 2013 going backwards despite putting in some effort. I tried everything head down, a$$ up, no cross over, chest down....bla bla bla. I would focus on it while swimming...count strokes....nothing. I kept on slowing down.

In April I swam a 1500m 40sec slower than I did in 2009. In 2009 I swam for the first time in over 30 years and with 3 months of training I was faster than in Spring of 2013. Talk about frustrating

Then in Sept I did 2 things. I focused on my catch based on underwater video and I increased my volume to > 10k per week. I saw pretty big improvements.

Now, all I focus on is my catch and my volume and I am seeing improvements

Previous to that I was swimming too little (6-7k) and chasing too many little things in my stroke and those were actually slowing me down

Also, I do see days where I am slower, although never 6 seconds/100m

Recently I have been swimming a bit more because my run is limited due to injury. I am actually starting to enjoy it.

2013-12-06 8:36 AM
in reply to: marcag

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good post Marc, the catch is key.

Neil, did you see the swim video analysis that AdventureBear posted in TriTalk?  It's on page two now but it's a great underwater video showing someone who can swim a 1:08 in an IM but has a terrible catch and hand entry position, yet prior to the video he thought he had a good high elbow and a good catch.  Video can be a real eye opener if you have any way of obtaining that.

2013-12-06 8:40 AM

Successfully removed and opened up my sealed headset cartridge bearings.  Gleaned them out and added fresh grease.  Still needs to be replaced soon, but my LBS was out of stock at the moment.  Cool to add another maintenance item to my quiver.  Wasn't even that hard.

2013-12-06 8:42 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marcag  Then in Sept I did 2 things. I focused on my catch based on underwater video and I increased my volume to > 10k per week. I saw pretty big improvements. Now, all I focus on is my catch and my volume and I am seeing improvements Previous to that I was swimming too little (6-7k) and chasing too many little things in my stroke and those were actually slowing me down Also, I do see days where I am slower, although never 6 seconds/100m Recently I have been swimming a bit more because my run is limited due to injury. I am actually starting to enjoy it.

I've seen similar at about the same points. Wasn't getting much on 6-7k/wk. Did see improvement on 10k or more even this summer after already gaining quite a bit earlier in the year. More volume than that did lead to more and faster improvement still. And also echo the focus. I do work on other things, but try to tie it all in to the catch & pull. I try to never overlook that part, always having at least some concentration on it. Kick improvement, built up some more ability there and picked up the timing so that i can drive the roll from side to side more effectively as opposed to it just kind of happening.  I feel the loss of it on pull sets now.  I'll work on some torso balancing as it can sag at times. While doing that I'm also mindful of what it's doing to the entry and downswing into the catch. When doing it well and it feels easy, I'm driving my arms into that part of the stroke more. Not that I'm working harder, but seeing that I have more command of the action then before, if that makes sense.

2013-12-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I would certainly agree that magical things seem to happen at 10K+ a week of swimming.  When I put a couple weeks like that together I feel unbelievable in the water.  Now, I need to string a couple months together!!

2013-12-06 8:53 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Elite
PEI, Canada

Nicole's question about swimming with someone else and getting a bit of a draft is good too.  It can easily throw your speed off, even if you are a few seconds back of them.

2013-12-06 9:00 AM
in reply to: rymac

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by rymac

I would certainly agree that magical things seem to happen at 10K+ a week of swimming.  When I put a couple weeks like that together I feel unbelievable in the water.  Now, I need to string a couple months together!!

Same experience here.
Also, I actually made big gains when I took my 3 day per week swim volume (9k-ish yards) and split in two and only swimming two days per week instead of 3. I did that for about 6 weeks in a row, made big progress, then went back to three days per week each at 4200~4700 yards. I would like to get back on that schedule soon.
2013-12-06 9:03 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ultra simple.

Take one slice of Spam, about 1/4 inch thick.  Pan fry it just to brown the outside, make a ball of white rice to match the size of the spam except the rice is about an inch thick.  Wrap it with nori (Japanese dried seaweed).

Tasty, and contains simple carbs (white rice), protein, fat, and salt (spam), and is extremely easy to digest.

Looks like this (in plastic wrap).

That reminds me of growing up as a poor redneck kid in Alabama.
Except instead of rice we would use white bread.
And yellow mustard instead of seaweed.....

2013-12-06 9:08 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Master
...at home in The ATL
Thanks for the heads-up on the bestbikesplit site - been playing around with it and get fairly accurate results as well. Just got the email from them today (sure you all did to if you registered on the site) that says they are working on a garmin file export that would include course power instructions that would work like turn-by-turn directions. That could be very cool. I have not played around with it yet but it looks like they already have a way to export a course to trainer road with a power profile included - paired with a erg trainer that could be an interesting way to experiment with pacing strategies maybe?
2013-12-06 9:10 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

X5 on swimming more. 16 weeks averaging 10k+ went a long way for me.

2013-12-06 10:51 AM

Elite
Ontario

I think one of my big issues is that I become a head case in the water (not the first time I've said this).  To what Marc said before, as soon as I start thinking about what I'm doing right or wrong, then I'm thinking and questioning everything that's happening.  For the most part though, when I swim I think about kick timing, body roll, catch/pull.  I try not to overcomplicate it more than that, but tend to once things go wrong.

As for my actual catch/pull, I know I leave the pull short a lot, so I conciously think about that, but the catch messes with my head big time.  If I leave my arm closer to the surface of the water, I find it puts too much strain on my shoulders, and I don't get as strong a pull - so I allow myself to pull deeper, since it seems to be more effective (though still trying to focus on getting my forearm vertical).   Need to find a recent video.

2013-12-06 11:48 AM

Extreme Veteran

I think one of my big issues is that I become a head case in the water (not the first time I've said this).  To what Marc said before, as soon as I start thinking about what I'm doing right or wrong, then I'm thinking and questioning everything that's happening.  For the most part though, when I swim I think about kick timing, body roll, catch/pull.  I try not to overcomplicate it more than that, but tend to once things go wrong.

As for my actual catch/pull, I know I leave the pull short a lot, so I conciously think about that, but the catch messes with my head big time.  If I leave my arm closer to the surface of the water, I find it puts too much strain on my shoulders, and I don't get as strong a pull - so I allow myself to pull deeper, since it seems to be more effective (though still trying to focus on getting my forearm vertical).   Need to find a recent video.

Ya that was/is me. If I try to work on more than one thing, I slow down. The problem was I would do one thing better, one thing worst and the net effect was to slow down so I stopped doing both.

One thing that helped me was to do sets of 100s, with "reasonable" rest and a pull bouy and focus on my catch. The reason I use the pull buoy was to eliminate noise from my kick, body position, roll.....I could see more the direct impact of how I was catching. I did several 100 100s before finding out what made a 2 or 3 sec difference. Then I just focused on this. I has become more natural now so I think I am ready to focus on something else.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.