2013-12-12 8:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Fred D Had a decent swim this am, which was the first good swim in over a month (illness). I truly think the best thing about triathlon is that all three sports are similar (aerobic fitness based) and yet different. I was a bit burned out on the bike by November, but then was able to get back into running and now swimming as changes of pace. I really feel that for MOST of us, that in the offseason, putting one of the sports a bit on the back burner is a reasonable idea. Again, I submit for the older people here that running isn't a wonderful one to drop completely, but it sure. Is fun to actually WANT to go and swim instead of feeling you HAVE to do it. ****Question for the group****???? I am contemplating another race in my calendar (so far only IMMT full in August). Thinking a HIM in late May or June. Eagleman is one I've done before, it interested in the groups thoughts? There is a local HIM in late May near State College, however the swim may be pretty brutally cold. What timing do you think would be best for preparing for an August 16 IM. Could also do July?

Fred, have you done a HIM close (July - August) to an IM before?  I know everyone is different but I haven't yet mastered the art of quick recovery from a HIM - certainly not enough to be in full IM training mode.  I know lots of people do it though.

Yeah, I know people are different, but haven't seen convincing rationale as to why the HIM close in is a good idea. Pretty certain it'd be a terrible idea for me unless I mostly just went through the motions for the HIM.

Add me to that list - but I am also someone who is very slow to recover from an HIM. I've been a wreck after each one.  I thought there was lots of talk with Bryan in the past about how an Olympic would likely be a better tune up closer to an IM.

2013-12-12 8:15 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Champion

Originally posted by mndymond It snowed 35cm here yesterday....today's run may end up a snowshoe or ski...it's only -2C so that's a bonus. So much snowwwwww. The PG city workers may strike...which means no aquatic/fitness center if they do....apparently swimming is not an essential service?

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

It is a lot. Going to have to shovel around my windows so I get some light since I live in a basement...lol.

I was on call overnight so ive been safe inside the hospital. No pregnant ladies came in overnight so I guess I have the energy to shovel? Strength workout?
2013-12-12 8:25 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by mndymond

Originally posted by mndymond It snowed 35cm here yesterday....today's run may end up a snowshoe or ski...it's only -2C so that's a bonus. So much snowwwwww. The PG city workers may strike...which means no aquatic/fitness center if they do....apparently swimming is not an essential service?

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

It is a lot. Going to have to shovel around my windows so I get some light since I live in a basement...lol. I was on call overnight so ive been safe inside the hospital. No pregnant ladies came in overnight so I guess I have the energy to shovel? Strength workout?

I usually find it to be more of a VO2max sort of thing.  Shovel, shovel, shovel, gasp, gasp, gasp... repeat.

2013-12-12 8:35 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by Fred D Had a decent swim this am, which was the first good swim in over a month (illness). I truly think the best thing about triathlon is that all three sports are similar (aerobic fitness based) and yet different. I was a bit burned out on the bike by November, but then was able to get back into running and now swimming as changes of pace. I really feel that for MOST of us, that in the offseason, putting one of the sports a bit on the back burner is a reasonable idea. Again, I submit for the older people here that running isn't a wonderful one to drop completely, but it sure. Is fun to actually WANT to go and swim instead of feeling you HAVE to do it. ****Question for the group****???? I am contemplating another race in my calendar (so far only IMMT full in August). Thinking a HIM in late May or June. Eagleman is one I've done before, it interested in the groups thoughts? There is a local HIM in late May near State College, however the swim may be pretty brutally cold. What timing do you think would be best for preparing for an August 16 IM. Could also do July?

Fred, have you done a HIM close (July - August) to an IM before?  I know everyone is different but I haven't yet mastered the art of quick recovery from a HIM - certainly not enough to be in full IM training mode.  I know lots of people do it though.

Yeah, I know people are different, but haven't seen convincing rationale as to why the HIM close in is a good idea. Pretty certain it'd be a terrible idea for me unless I mostly just went through the motions for the HIM.

Add me to that list - but I am also someone who is very slow to recover from an HIM. I've been a wreck after each one.  I thought there was lots of talk with Bryan in the past about how an Olympic would likely be a better tune up closer to an IM.

I certainly had more trouble than I thought I would going from HIM race just to M training immediately s/p racing, so I suspect I'm in this camp as well (but can't really comment with more than a "gut feeling," having not done an IM).

The Oly tune up is an interesting concept (I'll have to search for the discussion).  I found that Oly training and HIM training were pretty darned close (HIM was in some ways "easier," as the long runs had less intense intervals) to one another, but the recovery from the Oly was much faster.  Disproportionately so, which perhaps would be better for cranking up the volume to an IM soon thereafter?

Interesting thought (doesn't take much to saturate my grey matter).

Matt

2013-12-12 8:40 AM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D I have two exciting things to post to the group as well! First, I was at my daughters swim meet this weekend and actually saw Mike Gadzinski (Gadzooks on this site, top elite AG triathlete) as his daughter was swimming as well. My 8 yo, Kate, swam really well, putting down a 52s 50 free. My 11yo swam in 8 events over 2 days. All impressive results for her with PRs in 7/8 events. **BRAG MOMENT** Megan swam the 200 IM in 3:06 and the 100 IM in 1:24. Just so pleased with her progress as she dropped 30s off her 200 time. She is not at the FFOP yet, but it's truly one of the most enjoyable things I have ever experienced watching her commit to swimming, then put the work in, and THEN succeed! I think good life lessons are being learned right now! Lastly, I have am very fortunate to have been selected to the TEAM Zoot. There are 9 of us on the team representing central PA, Philadelphia and part of NJ, so I'm very honored to be accepted. It is not based exclusively on speed, for if it were I would not make it on that alone, but also based on presence in the tri community. I hope to be a good brand ambassador, and NO, don't worry I won't push Zoot products on you folks ;-). Truly I am excited for 2014 as I will be working with a coach (Shane who most of you know very well) and be on a really cool team.... With all of this I am hoping that it REGENERATES my excitement for the sport.... So far it is! Typing all of this from the iPad at a very long and boring medical staff meeting btw lol.

Awesome!  It is one of the truly special things in life to watch your kid go after something (my 11 yo daughter has been going hard at swimming this fall, as well - and watching the seconds come off have been proud dad moments, but more importantly great for her as she believes more and more in herself!).  Congrats and enjoy!

Also, great news on Team Zoot!  You'll be a great ambassador, indeed.

Lastly, staff meetings suck!  Something I really don't miss.  

Matt

2013-12-12 9:04 AM
in reply to: mndymond

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-12-12 9:17 AM

I haven't done it before, but just guessing from how my body tends to react after different distance races, I would consider a HIM maybe 8-10 weeks out and/or an Oly 3 weeks out to cap off your training and head into the taper.

I'd prefer to use the HIM as a mid training cycle fitness gauge.  Giving ample time to recover, reassess, and use the race information to guide the last 7-9 weeks of training where the volume kicks up and you're training focuses more on IM specific efforts.

I also like the idea of how Bryan uses an Oly.

2013-12-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Another vacation day for me...still not sure how far or where I'll ride, but it won't be nearly as far as last week.  LOL.

2013-12-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: Jason N

2013-12-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Fred D I have two exciting things to post to the group as well! First, I was at my daughters swim meet this weekend and actually saw Mike Gadzinski (Gadzooks on this site, top elite AG triathlete) as his daughter was swimming as well. My 8 yo, Kate, swam really well, putting down a 52s 50 free. My 11yo swam in 8 events over 2 days. All impressive results for her with PRs in 7/8 events. **BRAG MOMENT** Megan swam the 200 IM in 3:06 and the 100 IM in 1:24. Just so pleased with her progress as she dropped 30s off her 200 time. She is not at the FFOP yet, but it's truly one of the most enjoyable things I have ever experienced watching her commit to swimming, then put the work in, and THEN succeed! I think good life lessons are being learned right now! Lastly, I have am very fortunate to have been selected to the TEAM Zoot. There are 9 of us on the team representing central PA, Philadelphia and part of NJ, so I'm very honored to be accepted. It is not based exclusively on speed, for if it were I would not make it on that alone, but also based on presence in the tri community. I hope to be a good brand ambassador, and NO, don't worry I won't push Zoot products on you folks ;-). Truly I am excited for 2014 as I will be working with a coach (Shane who most of you know very well) and be on a really cool team.... With all of this I am hoping that it REGENERATES my excitement for the sport.... So far it is! Typing all of this from the iPad at a very long and boring medical staff meeting btw lol.

Awesome!  It is one of the truly special things in life to watch your kid go after something (my 11 yo daughter has been going hard at swimming this fall, as well - and watching the seconds come off have been proud dad moments, but more importantly great for her as she believes more and more in herself!).  Congrats and enjoy!

Also, great news on Team Zoot!  You'll be a great ambassador, indeed.

Lastly, staff meetings suck!  Something I really don't miss.  

Matt

Nice going on all accounts there Fred!

2013-12-12 9:48 AM

Master
Guilford, CT
X2, that is great Fred!

2013-12-12 10:05 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

2013-12-12 11:14 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by Fred D

Thank you all for the kudos on the stuff my my daughters and the Team Zoot selection.

I appreciate it!

That really is some col stuff Fred - both your daughters performance AND the Team Zoot selection ought to serve you well to get through the burn of of 5 years of IM training and racing.

FWIW put me on the anti-HIM list before IM as well, unless it is 12+ weeks before (and even then I don't think I would get too excited about it). I actually think it takes me longer to recover from a HIM than an IM so the impact on IM training is just too great. As for using the HIM as a "prep" race for IM, the swim and bike are both too short, and the run is too long.

This past season I raced an Olympic 5 weeks prior to IMLP and thought it was perfectly placed in my build up.
2013-12-12 11:19 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Any of the Powertap users ever get crazy cadence readings?  The last two trainer workouts that Tab has done have produced really jumpy cadence numbers for the first 15-20 mins and then all of a sudden it settles down and gives normal readings.  She's a steady 70-75 RPM girl and at first the numbers jump all over from 80 to 130.  

Cadence is coming from the PT, she doesn't have an external cadence sensor.  Computer is an Edge 500 if that matters.  I tried changing the PT batteries after the first time as she also had a couple of dropouts where power dropped to zero but that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

http://www.strava.com/activities/99834075/overview is her ride from this morning.  Jumpy cadence until right around the 18 minute mark.  She also had a couple more dropouts near the hour mark.

2013-12-12 11:38 AM

Extreme Veteran

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

-29c this AM in Ottawa

-29c is the temperature on Mars as well. Just so you have a reference
2013-12-12 11:43 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Any of the Powertap users ever get crazy cadence readings?  The last two trainer workouts that Tab has done have produced really jumpy cadence numbers for the first 15-20 mins and then all of a sudden it settles down and gives normal readings.  She's a steady 70-75 RPM girl and at first the numbers jump all over from 80 to 130.  

Cadence is coming from the PT, she doesn't have an external cadence sensor.  Computer is an Edge 500 if that matters.  I tried changing the PT batteries after the first time as she also had a couple of dropouts where power dropped to zero but that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

http://www.strava.com/activities/99834075/overview is her ride from this morning.  Jumpy cadence until right around the 18 minute mark.  She also had a couple more dropouts near the hour mark.

Arend - is that unusual for her or has she simply not noticed it before? Friends of mine have reported their "virtual" cadence reported by the hub to be wildly inaccurate at low power/small gearing (i.e.: warm up). If I understand it the PT looks for torque spikes to calculate cadence and at low power/small gearing those spikes are much more variable. It looks like the cadence came much more into line as she finished her warm up and began to put more power to the cranks. I flipped back through her last several rides - it looks the same on those as well - is it possible she has just never noticed it?

2013-12-12 11:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by Jason N

I haven't done it before, but just guessing from how my body tends to react after different distance races, I would consider a HIM maybe 8-10 weeks out and/or an Oly 3 weeks out to cap off your training and head into the taper.

I'd prefer to use the HIM as a mid training cycle fitness gauge.  Giving ample time to recover, reassess, and use the race information to guide the last 7-9 weeks of training where the volume kicks up and you're training focuses more on IM specific efforts.

I also like the idea of how Bryan uses an Oly.

Olympic would probably be a smarter option to be honest.

When would you do the Olympic?

I did an Oly two weeks before Muskoka and did my best race ever
same thing, two weeks before Tremblant 70.3 and had a really good race.

I am sure I would have been 5 seconds slower had I not :-)

You recover quickly, you confirm your FTP, you get a feel for your swim speed. I think it`s the best

But for a HIM the taper is shorter. I would do them just before starting my taper.
2013-12-12 11:49 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

Elite
PEI, Canada

Well now, I didn't think to go back and check but I think you are right Rusty!

Shane has been getting her to do some cadence work as she was really low (in the 50s) so she likely just never noticed.  Maybe I'll have to dig out a real cadence sensor from the tickle trunk.

2013-12-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: marcag

Originally posted by marcag

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

-29c this AM in Ottawa -29c is the temperature on Mars as well. Just so you have a reference

But you can breathe the air up there in Ottawa, I think?

centimeters, celsius, geez, I gotta go add a metric converter site to my favorites....

2013-12-12 12:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

Shane has been getting her to do some cadence work as she was really low (in the 50s) so she likely just never noticed.  Maybe I'll have to dig out a real cadence sensor from the tickle trunk.

Is she doing anything in the recovery sections? Looked like some hopping around when she dropped power way down in those as well. Might have to zoom in to see it better. Possibly more evidence to the low power theory.

2013-12-12 12:09 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

-29c this AM in Ottawa -29c is the temperature on Mars as well. Just so you have a reference

But you can breathe the air up there in Ottawa, I think?

centimeters, celsius, geez, I gotta go add a metric converter site to my favorites....

Just below 0F here this morning. No snow. Well, no additional snow. Almost wishing I had scheduled a run for some reason.

2013-12-12 12:09 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Is she doing anything in the recovery sections? Looked like some hopping around when she dropped power way down in those as well. Might have to zoom in to see it better. Possibly more evidence to the low power theory.

The recovery sections are just spinning at whatever cadence she's comfortable doing.  I think you are right - lower power numbers seem to produce poor readings.  

2013-12-12 12:53 PM
in reply to: marcag

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Wow, 35cm is a LOT!

This whole snow and negative temperatures thing just baffles me -- no idea how you guys deal with it.

For reference, my house feels frigid these days.  I heat it to 68F when I'm home (only because I'm cheap....if I weren't so cheap, I'd probably heat it to 78F).  The last few trainer rides have been absolutely miserable -- once I heat up and start sweating, I turn on one of my fans, which then blows this frigid air at me, and I promptly begin to freeze (have goosebumps and body just feels awful).  So I turn the fan off till I get too hot, then turn it back on....rinse and repeat.

In contrast, in the summer, I don't cool my house unless it gets above 90F (partly because I'm cheap, but partly because I just don't find it uncomfortable being in the mid- to high-80's). 

But winter?  Eff that!

2013-12-12 1:39 PM

Elite
Ontario

The recovery sections are just spinning at whatever cadence she's comfortable doing.  I think you are right - lower power numbers seem to produce poor readings.  

This would explain why I don't have any issues - I'm simply putting how too much power even when I'm just recovering...

2013-12-12 1:57 PM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Cadence sensor? Come on - 'tis the season! Sounds to me like it is time for you to quit messing around and get her a vector, quarq, or SRM.... And FWIW I had to google "Tickle Trunk." Like Chris I too keep a metric converter open when I read SBR Utopia. Seems like I am going to have to get a Canadian dictionary as well....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.