BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by brigby1

Looking down the shoreline towards Chicago. Colors everywhere the entire path today. Picture really doesn't show it well. Apparently there was some sort of sailboat event going on as there was a ton of them out in the water by the city.

Beautiful!

x2

2015-10-26 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'm back from the Tuna Run.  I have to process the experience a bit before I can write about it.  

Two 15 passenger vans.

12 runners and two drivers.

Perhaps 3 hours of sleep in 30 hours.

200 miles covered.

We didn't lose any runners (at least not in my van).  I think that's a win!

Can't wait to read about it!  And I agree, not losing any runners is a win!!

2015-10-26 10:00 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I'm back from the Tuna Run.  I have to process the experience a bit before I can write about it.  

Two 15 passenger vans.

200 miles covered.

Can't wait to read about it!  And I agree, not losing any runners is a win!!

My van was a little bit better about it than the others.  We even picked up a stray from another team!

2015-10-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

A gorgeous trip! Some snags in the camping plans, but we didn't let it stop us from exploring. We're not big tourist spot/follow the crowd people, so after some time in Moab (which is such a cool town!) and Arches NP (wow!), we took the back way into Canyonlands NP on White Rim Road. The plan was to camp in one of the "primitive" spots, but everything we came across was full. Got a room in Green River and reset our plans...into the backcountry of west Canyonlands   We drove dirt roads through washouts and "ponds", past cows and a badger (I've never seen one before!) out to Horseshoe Canyon for some hiking. Then past more cows and some awesome groups of mountain bikers to Hans Flat Ranger Station for a trail map. After some discussion and helpful hints, we drove along Flint Trail to a switchback down the side of a cliff. The ranger recommended we stop at the top lookout, turn off the truck for a few minutes to check for vehicles coming up. It's about 2mi to the bottom on rather steep and washed out trail...and you all know the right-of-way rule; we'd have to back up  We did more hiking at the bottom, then kept on chugging out of Canyonlands into Glen Canyon Rec Area for the night. Finally camping and rock scrambling and a hike in the moonlight!

You know I have to share pics:

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-10-26 10:47 AM

(windowarch.jpg)

(horseshoecanyon.jpg)

(flinttrail.jpg)

(orangecliffs.jpg)

(sunrise.jpg)

(makclimbing.jpg)

(boysclimbing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
windowarch.jpg (32KB - 3 downloads)
horseshoecanyon.jpg (57KB - 3 downloads)
flinttrail.jpg (91KB - 2 downloads)
orangecliffs.jpg (84KB - 2 downloads)
sunrise.jpg (25KB - 2 downloads)
makclimbing.jpg (71KB - 2 downloads)
boysclimbing.jpg (62KB - 5 downloads)
2015-10-26 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Looking down the shoreline towards Chicago. Colors everywhere the entire path today. Picture really doesn't show it well. Apparently there was some sort of sailboat event going on as there was a ton of them out in the water by the city.

Beautiful!

x2

Absolutely - there's something about the air and colours and crispness of the Fall! 

I went out for an afternoon run (during the toddler nap time) and it was just awesome out. Perfect running weather! 

2015-10-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

A gorgeous trip! Some snags in the camping plans, but we didn't let it stop us from exploring. We're not big tourist spot/follow the crowd people, so after some time in Moab (which is such a cool town!) and Arches NP (wow!), we took the back way into Canyonlands NP on White Rim Road. The plan was to camp in one of the "primitive" spots, but everything we came across was full. Got a room in Green River and reset our plans...into the backcountry of west Canyonlands   We drove dirt roads through washouts and "ponds", past cows and a badger (I've never seen one before!) out to Horseshoe Canyon for some hiking. Then past more cows and some awesome groups of mountain bikers to Hans Flat Ranger Station for a trail map. After some discussion and helpful hints, we drove along Flint Trail to a switchback down the side of a cliff. The ranger recommended we stop at the top lookout, turn off the truck for a few minutes to check for vehicles coming up. It's about 2mi to the bottom on rather steep and washed out trail...and you all know the right-of-way rule; we'd have to back up  We did more hiking at the bottom, then kept on chugging out of Canyonlands into Glen Canyon Rec Area for the night. Finally camping and rock scrambling!

Looks amazing! 

2015-10-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

So, how's everyone doing? 

This weekend was more of the mundane variety. I managed to get a couple of runs in. We went appliance shopping both days - picked out a few things I would like. It's tough because we need to decide so we can design a kitchen but we won't actually be building until late next year ... my hubby is on the hook for negotiating. I am TERRIBLE! I just agree to anything! 

My DH did a 10k Halloween themed run yesterday evening and it was super fun. He got a cheap cow costume at Wal-Mart and Felicity had to get dressed in a princess dress. I did not partake in costumes - isn't everything better with a costume? He did really well considering a lack of training and wearing said cow costume! But it was also fun to go out to a low-key race that was very family oriented - they had the 'Spooky Mile' for the kids. 

Speaking of the kids - there was a little guy there who had two prosthetic blades on and did the mile. Now, if that isn't inspiring I don't know what is! 

2015-10-26 10:34 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master

Originally posted by marysia83 I would absolutely love to join this group! I need to go offline in a moment, but I promise to post an intro tomorrow. Oh, I have two cats Mary

Phil, the largest of our pack, would like to welcome you and the kitties

(Phil.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Phil.jpg (45KB - 3 downloads)
2015-10-26 10:44 AM

User image

Master

Two 15 passenger vans.

200 miles covered.

I hope you processed during catch-up sleep! 3 hours? Sounds like not losing anyone was due to round the clock vigilance.   Hope it was a good time!

2015-10-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master

The desert-dweller in me doesn't see the trees as much as ALL THAT WATER! That looks like a beautiful ride, fall colors or not.

2015-10-26 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

A gorgeous trip! Some snags in the camping plans, but we didn't let it stop us from exploring. We're not big tourist spot/follow the crowd people, so after some time in Moab (which is such a cool town!) and Arches NP (wow!), we took the back way into Canyonlands NP on White Rim Road. The plan was to camp in one of the "primitive" spots, but everything we came across was full. Got a room in Green River and reset our plans...into the backcountry of west Canyonlands   We drove dirt roads through washouts and "ponds", past cows and a badger (I've never seen one before!) out to Horseshoe Canyon for some hiking. Then past more cows and some awesome groups of mountain bikers to Hans Flat Ranger Station for a trail map. After some discussion and helpful hints, we drove along Flint Trail to a switchback down the side of a cliff. The ranger recommended we stop at the top lookout, turn off the truck for a few minutes to check for vehicles coming up. It's about 2mi to the bottom on rather steep and washed out trail...and you all know the right-of-way rule; we'd have to back up  We did more hiking at the bottom, then kept on chugging out of Canyonlands into Glen Canyon Rec Area for the night. Finally camping and rock scrambling and a hike in the moonlight!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.  I think I want to be one of your kids.  They are so lucky to get to explore so many great adventures.

2015-10-26 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Another great vacation with the kids!  And, awesome pictures!!  I loved Arches when I was there about 10 years ago.  Never got to Canyonlands.  Which one did you like better?

2015-10-26 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by juniperjen

Beautiful!

x2

Absolutely - there's something about the air and colours and crispness of the Fall! 

I went out for an afternoon run (during the toddler nap time) and it was just awesome out. Perfect running weather! 

No doubt.  Leaves are in full color here and temps have been very mild.  It's the highlight of my day to get out and run one of the paths around town.  The rental house that I've restoring is on a street lined with huge trees and the sidewalks are under a foot of leaves.  My son can't wait for me to rake up a huge pile of them.

2015-10-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Lots going on with the pod and I'm a bit overwhelmed to try and respond to all the awesomeness right now! Our race got rained out Sunday (it literally didn't stop raining all weekend here). Guess I'm going to be over rested for the HIM this coming weekend.

Tony had the Ragnar trail race in the Hill Country from Friday-Saturday - 8 people in 2 tents covering 150 miles of mud in the pouring rain...  I almost made them sleep outside in the tents again on Saturday night, man were they ever stinky!!  

(I wisely chose to stay home and ride the drainer, then drink wine whilst sitting on the couch & cuddling with the furr-kids)  

2015-10-26 11:26 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

HELLO MANATEES!
I was invited by more than one of you to join this group and I am going to take you up on it! I understand I need to post a fur-baby photo as my first content offering - here is my shortie Bentley. He is 11 years old and my best buddy in the world.

And is this still the correct questionairre? Please advise if you need more information for my application

Bio: Mid-30s gal living in Kansas. I work in corporate communications/public relations for the 3rd largest telecom (cable/internet/phone/home security) provider in the U.S. I've been on BT for almost 10 years and have met so many great BTers in person. This is really a special place.

NAME: Lisa 

STORY: Growing up, the only sports I participated in was dance team and swim team. I never played team sports and was never particularly athletic. Nearly 10 years ago, I met someone who was training for a triathlon and the guy I was dating at the time told me that I'd never do one (ugh, right?). Not that I "couldn't" - just that I "wouldn't" - and that set me on a path to do my first two sprint races that summer. From there, of course I was hooked, and have now done 10 sprints, 5 olympics, 9 half ironmans and 3 Ironman races (DNF'd IM #4 earlier this month). Triathlon is my one true "hobby" - other people, things, activities have come and gone over the past decade but triathlon is always there, always ready for me. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single and ready to mingle, one fur-baby

CURRENT TRAINING: None, re-habbing a broken fibula

T
HIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I spent most of 2015 training for my 4th Ironman (Louisville) - In August I did Pigman Half Iron and on October 11 I started IM Louisville, anticipating a PR and the best day of my life. Instead, at mile 19 on the bike course I veered too far to the right side of the road and my wheel caught the 4-5 inch sharp drop-off from the asphalt to the grass (no shoulder). I lost control and bounced left into the road, breaking my fibula at the ankle. You can read my blog from the past 2 weeks but in short, this is a pretty difficult time for me. I'm adjusting to a temporary, sedentary life on crutches and in a boot. I'm trying really hard to keep my spirits up and look forward to when I can get back to walking, running, riding and racing. It's going to be a long journey though.

BODY COMPOSITION: I've always been on the slender side for the most part. My biggest challenge right now will be not gaining weight with a new sedentary lifestyle. 

Thank you for letting me join!

2015-10-26 11:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

The desert-dweller in me doesn't see the trees as much as ALL THAT WATER! That looks like a beautiful ride, fall colors or not.

Not a lot of major features around, but Michigan is a pretty big lake! This is one of the best spots around for a bigger break.

2015-10-26 11:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

Originally posted by popsracer

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.  I think I want to be one of your kids.  They are so lucky to get to explore so many great adventures.

haha! I think you're kind of a big kid, so it could work.

They know they're different from most kids, and we plan to keep it that way. Had some what-not-to-do moments at Arches when we came upon two busloads of middle school kids and their "chaperones". 40+ kids, most of whom were yelling across the rocks to each other, pushing past my little ones on steep sections, or whining about how hard it was. I almost lost it. One kid apologized, the guide looked overwhelmed but said nothing to them, and the "chaperones" weren't anywhere near the main group to supervise. Our kids aren't the quietest children, but we're teaching them to respect others...especially in special places like the NPs where so many come to enjoy nature, maybe only getting to visit once in their lifetime.

Oh! And thought of you as we drove through Monument Valley on the way home.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-10-26 11:50 AM
2015-10-26 12:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome Lisa!

2015-10-26 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Monday Pod!  I survived my race!  Here is the race report.  It contains the long version of the race.  The short version is I didn't die and managed to place 3d in my AG.  Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Congratulations both on not dying (always a good thing) and making the podium! 

2015-10-26 12:33 PM

User image

Master

Another great vacation with the kids!  And, awesome pictures!!  I loved Arches when I was there about 10 years ago.  Never got to Canyonlands.  Which one did you like better?

Arches is so much smaller that it really packs people together at the main viewing areas. It's beautiful and the sandstone is great for the kids to play on. But Canyonlands is just so vast, both towering over you and dropping below, that you can just lose yourself in every vista and turn of the trail.

Arches is a popularly photographed park, so this was a cool surprise since I don't see it published often...low clouds burning off through the formations.

But the sunset from White Rim road...white-capped LaSal mountains in background, orange cliffs and the Colorado River below...these kinds of views steal my heart.

(burnoff.jpg)

(coloradosunset.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
burnoff.jpg (49KB - 3 downloads)
coloradosunset.jpg (47KB - 3 downloads)
2015-10-26 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Welcome Lisa. We are glad to have you and hope that the post IMLou couch time is not too much on you.  

2015-10-26 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This weekend was more of the mundane variety. I managed to get a couple of runs in. We went appliance shopping both days - picked out a few things I would like. It's tough because we need to decide so we can design a kitchen but we won't actually be building until late next year ... my hubby is on the hook for negotiating. I am TERRIBLE! I just agree to anything! 

My DH did a 10k Halloween themed run yesterday evening and it was super fun. He got a cheap cow costume at Wal-Mart and Felicity had to get dressed in a princess dress. I did not partake in costumes - isn't everything better with a costume? He did really well considering a lack of training and wearing said cow costume! But it was also fun to go out to a low-key race that was very family oriented - they had the 'Spooky Mile' for the kids. 

Speaking of the kids - there was a little guy there who had two prosthetic blades on and did the mile. Now, if that isn't inspiring I don't know what is! 

I love a mundane weekend. One that involves no chores at my MIL or mom, no catching up on yard work, no errand running, etc. I might actually pay for one of those.  Congrats to your husband on the racing cow outfit. Low key races are so nice, I am looking forward to the Turkey Trot this year that is that way here.

Our weekend involved yard work, house work, DD2 support, etc. Standard stuff. We did spend a little time at a local watering hole on Saturday night, but the musician was so bad that we had to bail.  And that says a bit, because we will support local musicians until the cows come home.

2015-10-26 1:15 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Yayyyy!!  I knew the lure of cookies would draw you to the Manatee side!  

in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master

Welcome Mary #2 and Lisa!  Glad you are both here.

User image

Master

Sometimes we need the mundane variety...you know, to make the others seem so much more exciting   Good luck on the kitchen design! Someday I want such a project.

Sounds like a fun family evening...even without the costume. What a great example that little boy was!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55613 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68415 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29156 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67903 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.