BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2014-01-10 6:43 AM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed.
Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

Originally posted by marcag 

That is the Hunter Allen protocol.

... and here it is!

206 W for the 5' test (3.4 w/kg)

166 W for the 20' test (2.7 w/kg)

(up from 185 and 145 six weeks ago - partially training, partially suffering more on the test)

My trainer workouts are going to suck SO MUCH MORE now!

GC pictured below. TP data here: http://tpks.ws/js7A

You probably already know this but the protocol you used is pretty different than testing on separate days.
Your FTP, according to that procotol is 95% of your 20' test, which I suspect will give a lower number than had you tested on 2 days and used the CP model.
On one hand a consistent test to test progress is great. On the other, if it underestimates your FTP you should be sensitive to that when setting your training levels.

2014-01-10 7:55 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Jason, great job! PR in January is pretty sweet.

Also, have I mentioned I don't like you? I saw the map of your ride on Strava this morning...meanwhile I was in the garage next to my garbage cans and lawn mower hitting the 3rd workout after a little snow flurry.
2014-01-10 8:07 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by JAYCT
in the garage next to my garbage cans and lawn mower

AKA the Sufferlandrian olympic training center !!

BTW, in 8 weeks, outdoor and on a 1% grade is where Nicole is going to hit her 4.0 :-)

Jason N. Great job on that ride. Are you going to do a 20' ? Your profile would be interesting.

Are you riding with your Quarq or PT. If not mistaken you gave your PT to your GF ? How is that coming along. Sometimes I think powermeters are not for everyone. I am curious.

2014-01-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by cdkayak OK, both the 5 & the 20 min test are done. I think I had a little more in the tank for the 5 min test, but I had trouble finding a cadence on the 20. I'm stronger at the lower cadences but I was trying to keep this around 90 for the test. Cadence is something I've been trying to work on lately. Had to go with a slightly lower cadence for part of the second 10 minutes to finish.

Personally I would aim for whatever cadence is going to produce the highest wattage during the tests.  Whether that be 70 or 90 - psuh the pedals till you cry.  Once you have the tests completed then play with cadence during the weekly workouts and see how different rpms work for you.

Of course I can tell everyone to bury themselves on the tests at the moment cause I'm sick and not testing. 

2014-01-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by JAYCT in the garage next to my garbage cans and lawn mower
AKA the Sufferlandrian olympic training center !! BTW, in 8 weeks, outdoor and on a 1% grade is where Nicole is going to hit her 4.0 :-) Jason N. Great job on that ride. Are you going to do a 20' ? Your profile would be interesting. Are you riding with your Quarq or PT. If not mistaken you gave your PT to your GF ? How is that coming along. Sometimes I think powermeters are not for everyone. I am curious.

Sufferlandrian olympic training center may need a few space heaters and some minions to tell you you're weak   But I do agree, Jason's outdoor rides are certainly enviable over current options (whether that's because it's icy and in the negative temperatures or because we train at 4am!).

Speaking of 1% grades -- we literally don't have them in Houston.  And my race in May is hilly.  I've always been kinda of the mindset that a watt is a watt....regardless of whether I'm going flat or uphill.  I think I mostly tell myself this because I don't really have the option to train on hills.  Thoughts?

That said, I do have plans to drive to some hills so I can learn how to pace them....i.e. not crush myself on the uphill and cruise on the downhill, but to keep relatively constant power.

Nice work on the 5' test, Jason!  Do you find it difficult to test outdoors?  When I'm on the trainer, I don't have to worry about traffic or stopsigns or anything....and I can put 100% focus on watching my power and holding it steady, which seems like it would be difficult to do outdoors.  Needless to say, I'll have to learn how to actually pace by power outside one of these days if I want all of this training to be useful!

2014-01-10 9:02 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

That is the Hunter Allen protocol.

... and here it is!

206 W for the 5' test (3.4 w/kg)

166 W for the 20' test (2.7 w/kg)

(up from 185 and 145 six weeks ago - partially training, partially suffering more on the test)

My trainer workouts are going to suck SO MUCH MORE now!

GC pictured below. TP data here: http://tpks.ws/js7A

You probably already know this but the protocol you used is pretty different than testing on separate days. Your FTP, according to that procotol is 95% of your 20' test, which I suspect will give a lower number than had you tested on 2 days and used the CP model. On one hand a consistent test to test progress is great. On the other, if it underestimates your FTP you should be sensitive to that when setting your training levels.

For my last test, we just took my 20' avg as my FTP, and didn't subtract 5%. She said based on my data, I could probably handle the workouts as written using my 20 min avg as my FTP. It worked for the last one!

So, we'll see what number I end up using.

2014-01-10 9:12 AM

User image

Originally posted by JAYCT in the garage next to my garbage cans and lawn mower
AKA the Sufferlandrian olympic training center !! BTW, in 8 weeks, outdoor and on a 1% grade is where Nicole is going to hit her 4.0 :-) Jason N. Great job on that ride. Are you going to do a 20' ? Your profile would be interesting. Are you riding with your Quarq or PT. If not mistaken you gave your PT to your GF ? How is that coming along. Sometimes I think powermeters are not for everyone. I am curious.

Very true...if Nicole is hitting 3.7 indoors...you're right that 4.0 is possible very soon outdoors. 

Will likely do the 20' on Sunday so long as I don't go crazy on the group ride Saturday.  I'm using the Quarq.

GF still uses the PT, but is not interested in the data yet.  She is always riding with at least a couple of people so her pacing is more about keeping up with them or sometimes even slowing down for them rather than using power.  She hasn't tested at all.  We do have a 10 mile TT coming up at the end of February, so I'll try to take a look at some of her training files and give her a ballpark estimate of what she might want to shoot for and use that as a 30ish minute test.

Agree though that power likely won't be for her to fully utilize, but she doesn't mind seeing the number.

2014-01-10 9:23 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Speaking of 1% grades -- we literally don't have them in Houston.  And my race in May is hilly.  I've always been kinda of the mindset that a watt is a watt....regardless of whether I'm going flat or uphill.  I think I mostly tell myself this because I don't really have the option to train on hills.  Thoughts?

That said, I do have plans to drive to some hills so I can learn how to pace them....i.e. not crush myself on the uphill and cruise on the downhill, but to keep relatively constant power.

Nice work on the 5' test, Jason!  Do you find it difficult to test outdoors?  When I'm on the trainer, I don't have to worry about traffic or stopsigns or anything....and I can put 100% focus on watching my power and holding it steady, which seems like it would be difficult to do outdoors.  Needless to say, I'll have to learn how to actually pace by power outside one of these days if I want all of this training to be useful!

It's easier to put out power going uphill.  Yes, a watt is a watt, and for efforts in the 70-80% range, I'm not sure it makes as much of a difference.  But when you're pushing threshold or above, the resistance of the hill helps keep the power constant rather than you having to mentally focus to keep the power up.  If the hill is steep enough, you can also engage some pulling up on the handlebars to add more power.  I would say my 5' test was aided by the fact that it was easier to keep constant power, but I was never pulling up on the bars because it wasn't steep.  If I did the test on a 5% grade, where I sat up more, or got out of the saddle, I would expect a higher number.

The route I use to test outdoors is safe.  I purposely picked that route due to very low traffic, no lights, and a 12' wide shoulder.  I still almost ran out of road though...LOL.  For the 20' test, I do use a climb that's closer to 5.6%.  I know the power number will be inflated, but it's the only safe way to do 20' all out outdoors and it beats the heck out of the trainer.  That and two of my A races this year are climbs...so I need a "climbing FTP" so to speak.

2014-01-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maine
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by cdkayak OK, both the 5 & the 20 min test are done. I think I had a little more in the tank for the 5 min test, but I had trouble finding a cadence on the 20. I'm stronger at the lower cadences but I was trying to keep this around 90 for the test. Cadence is something I've been trying to work on lately. Had to go with a slightly lower cadence for part of the second 10 minutes to finish.

Personally I would aim for whatever cadence is going to produce the highest wattage during the tests.  Whether that be 70 or 90 - psuh the pedals till you cry.  Once you have the tests completed then play with cadence during the weekly workouts and see how different rpms work for you.

Of course I can tell everyone to bury themselves on the tests at the moment cause I'm sick and not testing. 

Hope you're feeling better soon. So you can join in the fun!

I was waffling on that before the test & decided to try for the slightly higher cadence this time. I just looked back at the last time I did a 20 min test and I kept the cadence in the mid 70s. Unfortunately I can't do a good power comparison since I was using VP for that one & a power meter now. But I did have a higher average speed on the most recent test. (I'm pretty consistent on the trainer setup)

On a side note. Never really thought I'd want a heater for the paincave but over the last couple of weeks the garage has been pretty cold! I started last night's test with 3 shirts on and a hat. The hat and a sweatshirt got tossed prior to the 20min interval.

Edited by cdkayak 2014-01-10 12:36 PM
2014-01-10 12:43 PM

User image

Marc, imagine if we all had Edge 510s or 810s while testing.  You could be like Jonathan Vaughters in the Garmin Sharp control room.  LOL.

2014-01-10 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

Marc, imagine if we all had Edge 510s or 810s while testing.  You could be like Jonathan Vaughters in the Garmin Sharp control room.  LOL.

Yes yes yes...with remote control computrainers where we can control resistance remotely.

I just finished creating the files from Shane's workout notes.... all 5 of them, although you won't do all 5. I just need to QA them.

I accidentally entered a wrong number and had you guys doing 600watt, 12 minute intervals.

2014-01-10 1:32 PM

User image

&^%$! ^&%$ %^$ ^%#$!!!
(insert French cursing here)
THAT WAS AWFUL!!!
Do I really have to do it AGAIN in a few weeks???

20 min test average power = 152 W

Now, do I just take 0.95 of this number to get my FTP? What do I use the 5 minute number for? (Sorry, my brain may still be a bit foggy).

Jaime
2014-01-10 1:46 PM
in reply to: RunningJoke

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RunningJoke

&^%$! ^&%$ %^$ ^%#$!!!
(insert French cursing here)
THAT WAS AWFUL!!!
Do I really have to do it AGAIN in a few weeks???

20 min test average power = 152 W

Now, do I just take 0.95 of this number to get my FTP? What do I use the 5 minute number for? (Sorry, my brain may still be a bit foggy).

Jaime

Excellent !!! Isn't it fun ?

Do you have GC running ?
In the tools menu, you have a critical power estimator tool. you enter the 5' number, the 20' number and it calculates your CP and that is your CP.
Very well done !!

You did 167 on the 5' test and 152 on the 20'. Your CP will be 147w
Your workouts will not be based on that number. You need to update that number in GC if you plan to use the training tab in GC

The good news is as you get used to power, you will have a good feel of when your FTP/CP has improved. We'll show you what to look at in your data.

Good job. The 20' test is rough.
2014-01-10 1:49 PM

User image

Sorry that was a premature post. I was just super excited to have survived the 20 minute test.

So in Golden Cheetah it looks like my CP is being calculated as 149 W. It looks like this a combination of both the 5 and 20 minute tests?
Is CP interchangeable with FTP (for our purposes)?

My FTP by my 20 minute test (95% of 151) comes out at 144 W. I am thinking that
a) FTP as calculated by 2 tests is probably more accurate, and
b) Perhaps this shows that at least right now, my endurance is weak compared to my speed

The data is fun, but I still don't ever want to do that again.

Jaime
2014-01-10 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So in Golden Cheetah it looks like my CP is being calculated as 149 W. It looks like this a combination of both the 5 and 20 minute tests?
Is CP interchangeable with FTP (for our purposes)?

yes

My FTP by my 20 minute test (95% of 151) comes out at 144 W. I am thinking that
a) FTP as calculated by 2 tests is probably more accurate, and

yes

b) Perhaps this shows that at least right now, my endurance is weak compared to my speed

Actually, your endurance is quite good. The ladies are showing a better 5' over 20' power ratio.

The guys put out big numbers on the 5' but taper off. I think the ladies are better at the old HTFU :-)

Shane will explain how these 2 numbers will guide our training for next week.
2014-01-10 2:22 PM

User image

, Washington

The data is fun, but I still don't ever want to do that again.

Jaime

LOL, I did my 20' test today and had a similar thought.

Would you believe I flatted during my test.  Must have been a pinch flat but I had a 9" tear along the tube seam.  And getting that darn orange Continental Home Trainer tire off is a PITA

Results:  216W Avg, 164 HR Avg

I plugged the numbers into GC and came up with CP=199W

Wow, there are some really great numbers in this thread.....quite humbling.

2014-01-10 2:24 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

I love Boulder. I spent a lot of time there last year. The North American mecca of triathlon

Boulder is pretty fantastic. I just moved here in August and am completely in love with the place. Also, I was standing right next to Rinny in REI right after she won Kona this year, so that was cool.

I just went back and read this entire thread from the start and I'm still super confused. I'm working at home today and keeping an eye on my door for my powertap delivery. I've got GC installed, but it's overwhelming, and confusing since I don't have any data to plug in yet. I am definitely a complete newbie to all of this. I had a powertap a few years ago, but didn't use it (or the older version of GC) long enough to know what any of it was or meant. So I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions! There are a lot of abbreviations and terms flying around and I don't know what a lot of things are, so I'm feeling pretty lost at the moment.

When my powertap gets here (Today!! Yay!), how do I set up my equipment to do my test and share my data? I have a powertap and edge 510, and I'll be using GC (no TP or TR accounts here). I want to use the Sufferfest Rubber Glove video for my 20' test. How do I do that? I'm paranoid that I'm going to bust my butt on the test, and then find out that it didn't record anything.

I hope everyone who is injured is healing well! I can't believe so many people got hurt in such a short amount of time!

Edited by ReginaPhalange72 2014-01-10 2:30 PM
2014-01-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: ReginaPhalange72

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Welcome to this "this is all new to me" club Sarah. Until now I just rode my bike. I did download rides via Strave iphone app but all I knew from that was distance, elevation gain and average speed. No cadence, no power nada. Plenty of help with this group, once you get the hardware installed, consult. That's what I'm doing. I set up my KK trainer for the first time for this even though I've hard it for over two years in my garage. I used youtube for the trainer and Garmin speed/cadence sensor. Thos youtube videos were dead on.

Hopefully my cold will be mellow to almost gone tomorrow so I can do my 20' test. This is frustrating as I want to jump into this. I have vermin to kill this summer, LOL
2014-01-10 3:38 PM
in reply to: ReginaPhalange72

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ReginaPhalange72

I love Boulder. I spent a lot of time there last year. The North American mecca of triathlon

Boulder is pretty fantastic. I just moved here in August and am completely in love with the place. Also, I was standing right next to Rinny in REI right after she won Kona this year, so that was cool.

I just went back and read this entire thread from the start and I'm still super confused. I'm working at home today and keeping an eye on my door for my powertap delivery. I've got GC installed, but it's overwhelming, and confusing since I don't have any data to plug in yet. I am definitely a complete newbie to all of this. I had a powertap a few years ago, but didn't use it (or the older version of GC) long enough to know what any of it was or meant. So I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions! There are a lot of abbreviations and terms flying around and I don't know what a lot of things are, so I'm feeling pretty lost at the moment.

When my powertap gets here (Today!! Yay!), how do I set up my equipment to do my test and share my data? I have a powertap and edge 510, and I'll be using GC (no TP or TR accounts here). I want to use the Sufferfest Rubber Glove video for my 20' test. How do I do that? I'm paranoid that I'm going to bust my butt on the test, and then find out that it didn't record anything.

I hope everyone who is injured is healing well! I can't believe so many people got hurt in such a short amount of time!

Let's do this. Do the following and send me a PM and I'll guide you to the next step

a) Install Powertap wheel and tire. I am assuming you will be riding on a trainer ? If so, set that up
b) Pair the Garmin 510 with the powertap wheel. I don't have a 510, but the 500 was Bike Settings->Bike1->Ant+ Power->Search and once found there is a calibrate
c) Do a small 30' test ride, see that you are getting power. Setup your Garmin screens to show 3s power, 30s power and lap power for example. Press the lap button now and then to get a feel for different power levels. You will see the 3s will jump around a lot. the 30 will be more stable. Get a feel for what is hard.
d) Upload to Garmin Connect. That is probably the easiest

If all of this works, we can then worry about getting it into GC and moving on to the testing.
2014-01-10 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Went to do my 20' test/ride 2 today. About 5' into the 20' ftp test my power numbers would not show on my Garmin 510. Stopped and played around with my Garmin and Power2max. It wouldn't recognize it so I pretty much got back on the road and rode hard the next 15'. It was pretty ugly out with light fog and drizzling rain. Got home downloaded Garmin and it was whacked. Showed where I pressed the lap button 4 times which I did, but only recognized 2 on the computer. Also gps map was whacked. Opened the battery box on the PM and it appeared dry and they say it is weather resistant.. Updated my Garmin to the latest firmware and I'll see if that fixes things. The ride said my 20'max avg was 259watts, but who knows. I'll see what tomorrow or Sunday brings and I'll retest since my legs aren't trashed.

Tom
2014-01-10 5:25 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by tallytom

Went to do my 20' test/ride 2 today. About 5' into the 20' ftp test my power numbers would not show on my Garmin 510. Stopped and played around with my Garmin and Power2max. It wouldn't recognize it so I pretty much got back on the road and rode hard the next 15'. It was pretty ugly out with light fog and drizzling rain. Got home downloaded Garmin and it was whacked. Showed where I pressed the lap button 4 times which I did, but only recognized 2 on the computer. Also gps map was whacked. Opened the battery box on the PM and it appeared dry and they say it is weather resistant.. Updated my Garmin to the latest firmware and I'll see if that fixes things. The ride said my 20'max avg was 259watts, but who knows. I'll see what tomorrow or Sunday brings and I'll retest since my legs aren't trashed.

Tom

This I hate. You put in the effort and the damn electronics don't cooperate. This and flatting during a test.

Wouldn't the fact it lost GPS data and lap presses point more to the Garmin ? I would see data drops if it was the PM ...really don't know.

2014-01-10 6:01 PM

User image

Regular
Tom

This I hate. You put in the effort and the damn electronics don't cooperate. This and flatting during a test.

Wouldn't the fact it lost GPS data and lap presses point more to the Garmin ? I would see data drops if it was the PM ...really don't know.

Marc, I feel the same way for sure. I just got done installing the latest firmware for my 510 and it picked up on the power meter. Was thinking the Garmin was the problem as well. So I'll give it a go over the weekend again. May have to skip w/o 3 or push it to Monday. Want to do the 20' test and see what I got. My schedule next week is a lot more normal so that's good and can ride everyday of the week if needed.

Hope everyone else is feeling good.

Tom
2014-01-10 7:29 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Veteran
Maine
Tom,

I hope the firmware update takes care of that. It does sound like it was a Garmin issue considering the how many things went wacky.

One nice thing about using the power2max with the Garmin is it will record left/right balance. Not something I plan on looking at much but it was nice to see in the data files I've collected using the garmin 500. I haven't looked to see if GC can do that yet, Marc may know. I have it set up at the bike but considering the temps in my garage right now I haven't spent a lot of time playing with GC and acquiring data, I've been using it at my desk to review the data.
2014-01-10 7:59 PM
in reply to: cdkayak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by cdkayak

Tom,

I hope the firmware update takes care of that. It does sound like it was a Garmin issue considering the how many things went wacky.

One nice thing about using the power2max with the Garmin is it will record left/right balance. Not something I plan on looking at much but it was nice to see in the data files I've collected using the garmin 500. I haven't looked to see if GC can do that yet, Marc may know. I have it set up at the bike but considering the temps in my garage right now I haven't spent a lot of time playing with GC and acquiring data, I've been using it at my desk to review the data.

I have never seen it in GC. I checked all available metrics and it's not in there so I suspect they don't support it yet

I get L/R on the computrainer and I looked at it a few months ago amongst the conversation about the Stages PM. At full power (like 5' effort) I was 50/50, As I dropped, my left leg became more dominant. I remember a lot of 53%/47% but even higher at times. As well, the minute I tried to mash less it became even worse.
So for me, the Stages would have not been accurate. It would have ready my 70-80% of FTP too high since it would have taken my dominant left and doubled it.
2014-01-10 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane
Just finished my 20' test. I officially hate this mentor group now That was really tough. I thought I was gonna throw-up about halfway through. Seriously. I realized I need to learn how to mentally suffer on the bike. Anyway I averaged 195 watts giving me a CP of 188. I averaged 215 watts on the 5' test.

Let the training commence!!

Jim

Edited by littlewj 2014-01-10 9:52 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Rss Feed  

of 73

RELATED POSTS

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16210 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29732 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60941 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : March 4, 2009
author : jasongootman
In this third part, we discuss bike workout types and how they relate to power training. Power analysis of workouts included. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.
date : December 3, 2008
author : jasongootman
What is power training? In this first part, learn the terms and definitions associated with power training. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.