BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-01-13 11:49 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors New Year 2014--OPEN
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

My relay team. We had a good time and one of the guys says he is up for another try next year. Seems they didn't realize how serious the "mountain" part of the race was going to be.

Can I join this team?!

Yep...You've even got a year to get ready!

She might want to get a mountain bike first though, huh?

And ride it in the mountains? Good luck with that.

You guys are making me doubt her sincerity. :P

What, not sincere?!  i'll start looking for a mountain bike and mountains right away!

If it helps motivate you, guy with cup isn't married. :D

2014-01-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Chris, Ann-Marie, Aussies and any other currently hot temp folks - I have some pics in my blog for Sat. that will cool you down!

Our forecast calls for temps in the 30s 2 mornings this week, so we are almost as wintery as you

Doubling our winter!

Good thing I didn't put away my long pants!

2014-01-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

My relay team. We had a good time and one of the guys says he is up for another try next year. Seems they didn't realize how serious the "mountain" part of the race was going to be.

Can I join this team?!

What, not sincere?!  i'll start looking for a mountain bike and mountains right away!

2014-01-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Can I join this team?!

Is he the one who was like, What?! A mountain?!

2014-01-13 12:04 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by Buckshot

It's Monday and I am not motivated for the work week. Anyone have any encouraging words?

Works is a four letter word -- but it does pay the bills and support out tri habit!

That's it "bills." All the motivation I need. LOL!

2014-01-13 12:16 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Seattle

Holy moly, I am already starting week 3 of marathon training. 

Time is just flying and I am trying desperately to hold onto it! 

I did a very tough tempo on Saturday and then a long run yesterday. Oddly enough, chasing my nieces (and nephew) around yesterday was probably the toughest workout of all. 

2014-01-13 12:28 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I did a very tough tempo on Saturday and then a long run yesterday. Oddly enough, chasing my nieces (and nephew) around yesterday was probably the toughest workout of all. 

Chasing toddlers and preschoolers--or even elementary age kids is harder than anything.  Especially if they have you outnumbered and can gang up on you in conspiracy.

2014-01-13 12:29 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Chasing toddlers and preschoolers--or even elementary age kids is harder than anything.  Especially if they have you outnumbered and can gang up on you in conspiracy.

Yes. I was hiding, waiting to jump out and scare them and I heard one of them say, "we have no choice. We have to kill auntie." 

2014-01-13 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yes. I was hiding, waiting to jump out and scare them and I heard one of them say, "we have no choice. We have to kill auntie." 

Wow, that's funny

2014-01-13 12:45 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Master
Dallas
Hi folks! I'd like to join in. Here's my bio:
NAME: Ernesto Villarroel

STORY: I am a five season triathlete, completed five Ironman races ranging from pancake flat (IMAZ, IMFL) to the brutal inaugural Ironman Lake Tahoe with some serious climbing, cold and at 6,300ft of elevation in the lowest part. I have had "fast" finishes (10:47 in Florida) but also a couple of really bad races like Ironman Texas 2013. I used to mentor for two years but I really don't have the time to do so, plus I believe it is good to be helped too.
Last year training was very limited because of work and I entered a phase of unmotivation lately that is really hard to fight, I really need to feel rejuvenated and challenged once again, no better place than here, right?
I am also a USA Triathlon Certified Coach (Level I) but I coach no people except for myself and one guy for free, he's a tremendous athlete. I have no desire to coach anybody neither since it is very time consuming and time is something I just don't have. Don't need the money neither (Thank God).
I work a very stressful job, I travel a lot and without notice for the most part so my training is readjusted permanently.

FAMILY STATUS: I have a beautiful family, my wife is a Schoolteacher (2nd grade) and I have kiddos ranging from ages 4 to 19 (five, a whole voleyball team).
CURRENT TRAINING: Very sketchy lately, no pattern, rhyme or reason to it. I have gained ten pounds since Ironman Lake Tahoe and I haven't done much to lose them. I am struggling to feel motivated for my weekly stuff since I am always super busy.
THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Already signed up for four half IMs (Galveston, Buffalo Springs, Vineman and Augusta). I would like to be in good shape for the last two at least.
2013 RACES/EVENTS: Two full IMs and two halves, it wasn't a memorable season. I started it on the right foot with a personal best in Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 but after that my training went downhill therefore my performances went to hell.
BODY COMPOSITION: Currently at 191lbs (5'9") I am pretty overweight. Need to drop 30. Ideas, anyone?
Thanks!!
2014-01-13 12:46 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Was that the point when you really started running? No wonder

Some things I was tossing around in my head: in following a hard tempo or other similar quality run with a long run, do you feel like the first part of the long run is kind of like active recovery? Or are they spaced far enough apart (e.g., not evening then morning), and/or do you feel you've "trained" your recovery response well enough that that kind of sequence works for you/doesn't really make a difference to the long run/actually benefits the training effect you want from the long run?

What do the last few miles of the long run feel like?

2014-01-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Chris, Ann-Marie, Aussies and any other currently hot temp folks - I have some pics in my blog for Sat. that will cool you down!

Our forecast calls for temps in the 30s 2 mornings this week, so we are almost as wintery as you

Doubling our winter!

Good thing I didn't put away my long pants!

Any snow? I have seen a few snowflakes fall when in Florida awhile ago. 43 here now, but a little snow overnight and tomorrow as it'll be back under freezing.

2014-01-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Some things I was tossing around in my head: in following a hard tempo or other similar quality run with a long run, do you feel like the first part of the long run is kind of like active recovery? Or are they spaced far enough apart (e.g., not evening then morning), and/or do you feel you've "trained" your recovery response well enough that that kind of sequence works for you/doesn't really make a difference to the long run/actually benefits the training effect you want from the long run?

1. Hmmm actually, it oddly doesn't feel like active recovery. I sort of treat it as such (by holding back a bit in the beginning or choosing terrain where I am forced to slow) but really, my body wants to run fast on these days. I should add though, it didn't feel this way when I first started doing quality day/long run blocks. In the beginning I couldn't do it at all. But I really emphasized it during XC season and kept my long run down around 14-16 miles while I got used to it. 

2. The last few miles of the long run feel amazing. I felt like I could run forever.

*I should also state, although my long run "sounds" long, it's less than 25 percent of my overall volume. I think this is key.

DId you have any feedback based on that? 

Edited by Asalzwed 2014-01-13 12:53 PM
2014-01-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: ernestov

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by ernestov Hi folks! I'd like to join in. Here's my bio: NAME: Ernesto Villarroel STORY: I am a five season triathlete, completed five Ironman races ranging from pancake flat (IMAZ, IMFL) to the brutal inaugural Ironman Lake Tahoe with some serious climbing, cold and at 6,300ft of elevation in the lowest part. I have had "fast" finishes (10:47 in Florida) but also a couple of really bad races like Ironman Texas 2013. I used to mentor for two years but I really don't have the time to do so, plus I believe it is good to be helped too. Last year training was very limited because of work and I entered a phase of unmotivation lately that is really hard to fight, I really need to feel rejuvenated and challenged once again, no better place than here, right? I am also a USA Triathlon Certified Coach (Level I) but I coach no people except for myself and one guy for free, he's a tremendous athlete. I have no desire to coach anybody neither since it is very time consuming and time is something I just don't have. Don't need the money neither (Thank God). I work a very stressful job, I travel a lot and without notice for the most part so my training is readjusted permanently. FAMILY STATUS: I have a beautiful family, my wife is a Schoolteacher (2nd grade) and I have kiddos ranging from ages 4 to 19 (five, a whole voleyball team). CURRENT TRAINING: Very sketchy lately, no pattern, rhyme or reason to it. I have gained ten pounds since Ironman Lake Tahoe and I haven't done much to lose them. I am struggling to feel motivated for my weekly stuff since I am always super busy. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Already signed up for four half IMs (Galveston, Buffalo Springs, Vineman and Augusta). I would like to be in good shape for the last two at least. 2013 RACES/EVENTS: Two full IMs and two halves, it wasn't a memorable season. I started it on the right foot with a personal best in Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 but after that my training went downhill therefore my performances went to hell. BODY COMPOSITION: Currently at 191lbs (5'9") I am pretty overweight. Need to drop 30. Ideas, anyone? Thanks!!

Damn. R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

I remember you well! You kinda faded off BT for a while there, though (I think -- so did I -- so maybe it was me). Welcome to the Manatees, Ernesto!

Ideas ... I've always loved this line from Michael Pollan: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

In other words--whole foods, solid plant foundation. There are quite a few of us here who are looking for ways to better body comp, so you're in good company.

I'm glad you posted. I was seriously contemplating some Vegemite on wholewheat toast. But I don't *need* it.

2014-01-13 12:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

1. Hmmm actually, it oddly doesn't feel like active recovery. I sort of treat it as such (by holding back a bit in the beginning or choosing terrain where I am forced to slow) but really, my body wants to run fast on these days. I should add though, it didn't feel this way when I first started doing quality day/long run blocks. In the beginning I couldn't do it at all. But I really emphasized it during XC season and kept my long run down around 14-16 miles while I got used to it. 

2. The last few miles of the long run feel amazing. I felt like I could run forever.

DId you have any feedback based on that? 

Wait for it ...

Wait for it ...

No. I was just genuinely curious your "story," if you will, is exceptional in many ways, but how you got there is applicable to nearly anyone and, IMO, how just about anyone who's really serious about improving in running with a long-term view should do it.

In the meanwhile, I remain fascinated by different ways to structure training programs--generally, and then for individuals.

P.S. Ha. I lied would I ever actually not give feedback? Re. the bolded bit--for most runners most of the time, that's exactly how they should feel. Maybe not "run forever" -- might take a while to get to that -- but definitely that one could easily toss in a couple few more miles.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-01-13 12:59 PM
2014-01-13 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ernestov Hi folks! I'd like to join in. Here's my bio: NAME: Ernesto Villarroel STORY: I am a five season triathlete, completed five Ironman races ranging from pancake flat (IMAZ, IMFL) to the brutal inaugural Ironman Lake Tahoe with some serious climbing, cold and at 6,300ft of elevation in the lowest part. I have had "fast" finishes (10:47 in Florida) but also a couple of really bad races like Ironman Texas 2013. I used to mentor for two years but I really don't have the time to do so, plus I believe it is good to be helped too. Last year training was very limited because of work and I entered a phase of unmotivation lately that is really hard to fight, I really need to feel rejuvenated and challenged once again, no better place than here, right? I am also a USA Triathlon Certified Coach (Level I) but I coach no people except for myself and one guy for free, he's a tremendous athlete. I have no desire to coach anybody neither since it is very time consuming and time is something I just don't have. Don't need the money neither (Thank God). I work a very stressful job, I travel a lot and without notice for the most part so my training is readjusted permanently. FAMILY STATUS: I have a beautiful family, my wife is a Schoolteacher (2nd grade) and I have kiddos ranging from ages 4 to 19 (five, a whole voleyball team). CURRENT TRAINING: Very sketchy lately, no pattern, rhyme or reason to it. I have gained ten pounds since Ironman Lake Tahoe and I haven't done much to lose them. I am struggling to feel motivated for my weekly stuff since I am always super busy. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Already signed up for four half IMs (Galveston, Buffalo Springs, Vineman and Augusta). I would like to be in good shape for the last two at least. 2013 RACES/EVENTS: Two full IMs and two halves, it wasn't a memorable season. I started it on the right foot with a personal best in Ironman Puerto Rico 70.3 but after that my training went downhill therefore my performances went to hell. BODY COMPOSITION: Currently at 191lbs (5'9") I am pretty overweight. Need to drop 30. Ideas, anyone? Thanks!!

Welcome Ernesto!

ETA: And yes, the table has been updated...

Edited by jmkizer 2014-01-13 1:01 PM

2014-01-13 12:57 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master

Welcome Ernesto!

2014-01-13 1:16 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Pennsylvania

Hi Tiana!  Hi Ernesto!

Random question: if I throw my 'lucky bamboo' (office plant) away will I lose my luck?

It started out as a really cool little plant but has grown spindly and not so attractive.

2014-01-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: tritiny

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by tritiny May I join your group? NAME:Tiana STORY: I remember watching the Kona Ironman on TV when I was in High School and thinking I really want to do that someday. Over the year's I watched the Ironman several more times and still thinking I wanted to do it. In 2010 I decided if I was going to do it I'd better get started. I did 3 sprints and a BIke MS that summer. In the fall I fell off my porch while I was holding my daughter. My daughter was fine no injuries but I sprained my right ankle very bad. In 2011 I took a whole year off of running. While I did swim some, and did some aqua jogging I did mostly cycling. I did a few bike events. In 2012 I started out the year doing alot of walking and aqua jogging. Then I did a little runing on land. My ankle was feeling better not 100% but alot better. I was also cycling and did a Bike MS. I was feeling good and was able to sign up for Ironman Florida through Endurance Sports Travel. I felt good about my biking and swimming and I had a walk/run plan for the run. During the swim I jammed my foot in the sand and fell totally spraining that rt ankle again. Total disappointment and I went into a bit of depression. I gained weight. It hurt to walk. The doctor said I would need surgery. I didn't want surgery. It hurt to clip in and out so I stopped cycling as much. I think my brother in law got tired of seeiing me mope and signed me up for a bike event without telling me first. We put new pedals on my bike that one is flat and the clip in. I started riding without being cliped in. Last Fall I went to a new doctor. And in November I had surgery on my ankle. I had completely torn a ligament so I have an artifical fiber one now. I'm still healing and in PT. FAMILY STATUS: Single, never been married (Looking) I was a foster mother and was ablle to adopt my two girls. CURRENT TRAINING:My current training is Physical Therpy and riding my bike on the trainer. My ankle is slowly healing. It still hurts when I walk. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: April Salt Lake City Marathon bike tour They let the bikes go before the runners. June Litlle Red Ridng Hood a women's only bike ride I signed up for the lottery so I hope I get in. BODY COMPOSITION: I'm the highest weight I've ever been. About 165 I'd love to get back down 125 or 130 again.

Hi Tiana! Welcome to the Manatees!! You are kinda-sorta-almost in my neck o' the woods!!! Maybe we can talk Erin in to a team for 24 in the Canyon

2014-01-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Dallas
Thanks for adding me to the group. Looking forward to it!
Any advice on how to find motivation to train when you have conquered all your challenges? Should I move to Ultras? LOL
Today I have to do a thirty minute run and I feel lazy, this past weekend was my first in a while where I got on the bike and ran Saturday and Sunday. A little tired now...
2014-01-13 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ernestov Thanks for adding me to the group. Looking forward to it! Any advice on how to find motivation to train when you have conquered all your challenges? Should I move to Ultras? LOL Today I have to do a thirty minute run and I feel lazy, this past weekend was my first in a while where I got on the bike and ran Saturday and Sunday. A little tired now...

Sounds like your schedule is a little crazy to be thinking longer distances What about working toward finishing top of the podium?

2014-01-13 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Welcome Ernesto!

2014-01-13 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by ernestov Thanks for adding me to the group. Looking forward to it! Any advice on how to find motivation to train when you have conquered all your challenges? Should I move to Ultras? LOL Today I have to do a thirty minute run and I feel lazy, this past weekend was my first in a while where I got on the bike and ran Saturday and Sunday. A little tired now...

Sounds like your schedule is a little crazy to be thinking longer distances What about working toward finishing top of the podium?

How about doing as many sprints or Olys as you can do in a year?  Just cram them in!

2014-01-13 3:08 PM

User image

Seattle

Hello Ernesto and welcome.

Perhaps a good goal for you would be less about time or placement and more about consistency in training? 

2014-01-13 3:28 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Halllooooooooooooooooooo  to all Manatees, especially the brave new ones to join in the craziness.   

Did I hear mention of my own personal enabler who struck AGAIN this past weekend??  

FYI - I ordered my cruiser bike - she should be here in about a week.  Hopefully it will be warm enough to ride her home!  (though still NO idea where the heck I'm going to put her once I get her home...

Cruiser

Edited by blueyedbikergirl 2014-01-13 3:29 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25841 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38403 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18415 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.