BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-05 11:54 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by melbo55

Proof of life post.  Sorry, it's been a busy few days and I fell some 5 pages behind with the chatty manatees!  Welcome, all those new manatees I've missed greeting, and welcome back Kate!  Thanks for all the adorable pet pics and hot bike pics, too!  Now to learn everybody's names...

Reader's Digest version of things: Dad got his port installed Friday and starts chemo this Thurs.  I've managed to secure the DE brother as transport for the next chemo session next week, now I'm going to try to find someone for the 3rd session so I don't blow through all my family sick/PTO time right away.  I think Dad gets a week off before the next cycle begins.

I officially started training with my coach on New Year's Day, and he'll either kill me or whip me into the best triathlete I've ever been, hopefully the latter and not the former!  But seriously, I like his workouts so far and know having a coach will be a huge benefit to me, there is no doubt that if I follow his plan I will be physically ready for Syracuse in June.  I'm also digging being able to sync TP with Garmin Connect and also being able to upload TrainerRoad workout files to Garmin Connect, too, so he can see what's going on without a bunch of extra effort from me.  All I have to do is add any workout notes.

Glad you're getting some help with your dad. Keeping you guys in our thoughts.

Excellent news on your coach...hope the smooth sailing with him continues. If he's getting you physically ready, who's helping with the mental part....US????

Yup, I'm putting my mental well-being and training in the manatees' flippers!!  To quote George Takei, "Oh my..."  

2015-01-05 11:55 AM
in reply to: Techdiver

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

The deck kitty is coming around more, she isn't interested in coming inside right now (Hissed at Mocha the other cat) but she is more friendly with the people.

(10329041_10204573425348490_286490891045837797_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
10329041_10204573425348490_286490891045837797_n.jpg (117KB - 3 downloads)
2015-01-05 12:00 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

Yesterday was a rough one.  I fell on my bike...on my trainer.  Was reaching for the remote control and went too far.  The whole thing slid out from under me and I hit on my shoulder and hip.  Wow,  I haven't done that in a while.  No harm but felt pretty silly.

Then my son comes in "Daddy, there's water dripping through the ceiling in my room".  Ugh, it has been raining heavily and the roof sprung a leak.  So I get up on the roof  which is three stories high wrestling a sheet of plywood in the dark with sheets of rain and strong gusting winds.  It was a nightmare.  Got it tacked down and the leak stopped.

I trust today will be better.

Today will definitely be better!  

Just imagine being in the middle of a full spin class, feet in the cages and you stand on the pedals and to start to go with all of your might as the instructor has told the class to do, only to suddenly find yourself somehow UNDER the spin bike and clinging to it for dear life lest you fall the 2 inches to the floor.  

I got an ovation for that one.  

2015-01-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Anyone have suggestions for the grippiest deepest tread trail shoes possible?

I've been happy with the grip of the Altra Superior. Have a pair of the 2.0 on the way and looks to have more tread than before. Salomon seems to have aggressive looking treads on them, but not much experience. Looking into Lone Peaks as well, but getting the Superior first. Those are the lighter ones anyway. Had a pair of Fellcross a few years ago, but mostly used for a few snow runs. Seemed ok, but a bit long for me. The toe might catch a little easy.

Are you looking because of the ice?

2015-01-05 12:04 PM

User image

Seattle

Yesterday was a rough one.  I fell on my bike...on my trainer.  Was reaching for the remote control and went too far.  The whole thing slid out from under me and I hit on my shoulder and hip.  Wow,  I haven't done that in a while.  No harm but felt pretty silly.

Then my son comes in "Daddy, there's water dripping through the ceiling in my room".  Ugh, it has been raining heavily and the roof sprung a leak.  So I get up on the roof  which is three stories high wrestling a sheet of plywood in the dark with sheets of rain and strong gusting winds.  It was a nightmare.  Got it tacked down and the leak stopped.

Ohhhh boy. OK I am laughing with you not at you.

As for the roof, yuck. I am sorry to hear that. You are right though, it can only go up from here!

2015-01-05 12:06 PM

User image

Master

Glad you were okay on your roof.  I am surprised, however, that no one in here has focused on the above bolded statement...

2015-01-05 12:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

I've been happy with the grip of the Altra Superior. Have a pair of the 2.0 on the way and looks to have more tread than before. Salomon seems to have aggressive looking treads on them, but not much experience. Looking into Lone Peaks as well, but getting the Superior first. Those are the lighter ones anyway. Had a pair of Fellcross a few years ago, but mostly used for a few snow runs. Seemed ok, but a bit long for me. The toe might catch a little easy.

Mostly yeah, ice. But really I just need at least one pair of shoes that has good traction in general. 

In addition to my icy crawling adventure, I also slipped and fell into a river over the summer (that could have been 1000000 times worse than it was...) So I just need to not be wearing road shoes out in the wilderness. 

I'm just so used to running in very lightweight shoes. I really don't like the idea of trail shoes but I really think I need them. 

2015-01-05 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Mostly yeah, ice. But really I just need at least one pair of shoes that has good traction in general. 

In addition to my icy crawling adventure, I also slipped and fell into a river over the summer (that could have been 1000000 times worse than it was...) So I just need to not be wearing road shoes out in the wilderness. 

I'm just so used to running in very lightweight shoes. I really don't like the idea of trail shoes but I really think I need them. 

If its for the ice and snow, I took a semi retired pair of shoes and screwed some small sheet metal screws in the sole. #6 self tapping screws if I recall correctly. Four in the heal and perhaps 6 in the front on the outside edge. They worked great.
2015-01-05 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

When I do my mud runs I wear the Innov8 x-talons--their grip is amazing, and even with the monster lugs on them they are super lightweight. They also drain well and dry out fast.
2015-01-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by tcarlson78

If its for the ice and snow, I took a semi retired pair of shoes and screwed some small sheet metal screws in the sole. #6 self tapping screws if I recall correctly. Four in the heal and perhaps 6 in the front on the outside edge. They worked great.

Yeah, I have seen this a lot for snow and ice specific running. How does it do on the trails without snow? Most of the stuff I will be doing has quite a bit of diverstiy. Starting low, with mud, rocks and forest service roads and climbing into snow and ice. So they need to be versatile. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-01-05 12:17 PM
2015-01-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Yeah, and I knew I was doing it, too.    Someday I'll learn...

The conversation does cause me to think on this a bit.  It's interesting that many people, myself included, believe that more economic running will come simply with more running (the body will find the most efficient way to run on its own, given the chance).  However, many people, myself included, then also try to .  Increased cadence, mid-foot strike, forefoot strike, lower arm carriage, higher arm carriage, more glutes, etc., etc.  

I've mostly stuck with just running more, although I have picked up my average cadence (and no longer need a cadence sensor to be within about a step per minute) and occasionally pay more attention to making sure my glutes are firing off (although even here, I try to do that by running in ways that engage them - speed work, "running pretty" and such).  So, guilty of doing both - which somehow makes sense as a way to approach it.  Just enough of each...  Kind of mirrors your approach of finding the right situations (which does, indeed, make sense).

Funny, too, how different swimming is from running!  Tons of form and skill work.  Endless tweaks and drills.  Lots of speed work as a way to get said form.  I've always been struck at how very different the approaches to these two sports are (for most - I admit to doing a lot more long intervals than "real swimmers" do).  I've often wondered if the received wisdom in each discipline is optimal (especially given how the "right" way to do things changes every few years - I'm watching my kids deal with that in their stroke work even now, as the perfect high elbow recovery is now seen as too much work and the new coaches are starting to say just do whatever gets your arms around fastest - kind of like running more!).  

And THAT is why this stuff stays interesting to me.  

Matt

Yeah, maybe someday that will happen.

I've actually been putting more of that stuff into my running. Not really big drill sessions, but a more dynamic warm-up that includes things like skipping, heel kicks and knee drives. It really helps get the range of motion fired up before actually running so things feel great from the get go. Before a hard session there is still the need to run harder to drive that up, but the motion has felt much better.

I've also been running fast more often. Not lots, just getting something in more frequently. The fastest work might be 10-15 minutes at most and once or twice a week. Mostly broken up into 200's & 400's. Or the equivalent time when I do the steep hills. Lots of time running really easy in between, like 2-4 times the interval length. Then on a couple other days are the more moderate (but still quick) strides. So lots of frequently running faster, but not a lot of volume when added all together. This helps me find it better in the first place and to do it more often. It'll carry over into the easy running, less likely to slip back into old habits so the easy running is doing a better job of reinforcing the faster work.

2015-01-05 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like my Montrail Masochist's. They claim to be lightweight, I beg to differ. My observation is that they are grippy and warm. Way more shoe than I need in the parks in Fl, given the elevation gains on my runs  I don't think they'd make you happy, given my belief that you lean towards a lighter, more racey shoe, but I like them.

Most single track around here that I've run on is full of palmetto and oak roots. Ankle twisting if you aren't careful. Your terrain sounds more slippery and wet. Big lugs on the soles might be your ally. Another avenue to fight ice might be Cramp-Ons???? Or screws in the soles, which I've heard of more than once.

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Techdiver First thanks Monica for the hello. Long time no chat. Does this count as my 10 mins today. I plan on going to spin class later. I am sure I can commit to 10 mins a day every day. This gives me a reason to do some yoga even on down days. I was about to shave my Movember beard off but it has remained. Let me know if link works. I had to do some transferring of phone/work computer etc. Any photo site is blocked at work. So I won't be able to tell [IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150105_110316.jpg[/IMG] Guess that didn't work. I am going to have to review how to post to this again.

That absolutely counts.  I'll add you to the list.  Since you're a little late in getting started, I'll just count your days as starting today and you won't get penalized for the days you didn't do anything between the 1st and today.  You won't end up with x days/31; it'll just be x/27.  (That'll make more sense after you read the rules.)

in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Yeah, and I knew I was doing it, too.    Someday I'll learn...

The conversation does cause me to think on this a bit.  It's interesting that many people, myself included, believe that more economic running will come simply with more running (the body will find the most efficient way to run on its own, given the chance).  However, many people, myself included, then also try to .  Increased cadence, mid-foot strike, forefoot strike, lower arm carriage, higher arm carriage, more glutes, etc., etc.  

I've mostly stuck with just running more, although I have picked up my average cadence (and no longer need a cadence sensor to be within about a step per minute) and occasionally pay more attention to making sure my glutes are firing off (although even here, I try to do that by running in ways that engage them - speed work, "running pretty" and such).  So, guilty of doing both - which somehow makes sense as a way to approach it.  Just enough of each...  Kind of mirrors your approach of finding the right situations (which does, indeed, make sense).

Funny, too, how different swimming is from running!  Tons of form and skill work.  Endless tweaks and drills.  Lots of speed work as a way to get said form.  I've always been struck at how very different the approaches to these two sports are (for most - I admit to doing a lot more long intervals than "real swimmers" do).  I've often wondered if the received wisdom in each discipline is optimal (especially given how the "right" way to do things changes every few years - I'm watching my kids deal with that in their stroke work even now, as the perfect high elbow recovery is now seen as too much work and the new coaches are starting to say just do whatever gets your arms around fastest - kind of like running more!).  

And THAT is why this stuff stays interesting to me.  

Matt

Yeah, maybe someday that will happen.

I've actually been putting more of that stuff into my running. Not really big drill sessions, but a more dynamic warm-up that includes things like skipping, heel kicks and knee drives. It really helps get the range of motion fired up before actually running so things feel great from the get go. Before a hard session there is still the need to run harder to drive that up, but the motion has felt much better.

I've also been running fast more often. Not lots, just getting something in more frequently. The fastest work might be 10-15 minutes at most and once or twice a week. Mostly broken up into 200's & 400's. Or the equivalent time when I do the steep hills. Lots of time running really easy in between, like 2-4 times the interval length. Then on a couple other days are the more moderate (but still quick) strides. So lots of frequently running faster, but not a lot of volume when added all together. This helps me find it better in the first place and to do it more often. It'll carry over into the easy running, less likely to slip back into old habits so the easy running is doing a better job of reinforcing the faster work.

Yeah, I believe that when I am running fast my form is at its best. (Note the form of almost all sprinters)

I think strides at the end of easy runs is one of the best things you can do. Limited risk, high rewards.

Like you guys mention, I mostly just run lots and let my body gravitate towards what is most economical. There are always things you can work on and be conscious of but straight up trying to change your gait is usually not a good idea.

2015-01-05 12:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Like you guys mention, I mostly just run lots and let my body gravitate towards what is most economical. There are always things you can work on and be conscious of but straight up trying to change your gait is usually not a good idea.

Okay so the consensus here is that I shouldn't have tried to do what I did.  I did that based on my coach's recommendation.  She, the head coach, and I are meeting up again on Saturday at the track to take another look.  Should I plan to say (more diplomatically), "Let's cut the monkeying around with shortening my stride, just work on increasing cadence, and call it good"?  Technically, they're the experts and I don't want to be coming across as saying that I don't think they know what they're doing. 

Now I'm also questioning if shortening my stride would actually qualify as changing my gait.  I really don't know much about the technical aspects of running, I just did it. All I knew was that I kept tripping.  In order to increase cadence and stop over-striding with my right leg, as suggested, without completely dying, I had to shorten my stride.  Plus my right hip was collapsing some on the foot strike, which we were addressing with core strength training.  Is that, in your estimation, changing my gait?

2015-01-05 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Techdiver

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Techdiver

Welcome, Chris.  Since there are now 2 Chrises in addition to the 2 Matts and 2 Michaels, guess we better come up with a way to tell you two apart.  How about Chris Can (you) and Chris Ban (cdban66)?  Or we can just call you Spanky. 

Let me know if you want in on the challenge (see rules on p. 1).  It started on 1/1 but since you just joined us, I think we could squeeze you in.  Don't want you to miss out on ALL the Manatee mayhem. 

You can call me Spanky if you want. My most common nickname. or hell call me what you please I won't be offended. Thank you for the welcome. Will see how this goes after a year off. I am just reading up on 18 pages and trying to catch up. I am sure I am willing to get into whatever challenge is out there. This is why I am here. Challenges and accountability, without it I spend time playing with kids and eating icecream and making other bad choices...ha. I will hopefully get caught up and find out what the challenge is by end of day. We have no heat at work and I am wearing my sweater, coat and toque still. 54 degrees F in my office. BRRRRR.

Call you what I want, just don't call you late for dinner?    The challenge is basically do something, anything, 10 min. a day.  If you want to make a harder goal, just PM me with the details.

No heat--yikes!!  At least you'll stay awake.  Hope it comes back on soon.

Maybe shivering will count for his 10min of activity for the day?

First thanks Monica for the hello. Long time no chat.

Does this count as my 10 mins today. I plan on going to spin class later. I am sure I can commit to 10 mins a day every day. This gives me a reason to do some yoga even on down days.

I was about to shave my Movember beard off but it has remained. Let me know if link works. I had to do some transferring of phone/work computer etc. Any photo site is blocked at work. So I won't be able to tell

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150105_110316.jpg[/IMG]

Guess that didn't work. I am going to have to review how to post to this again.

I read that as "going to shave your Mother"

2015-01-05 1:08 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Okay so the consensus here is that I shouldn't have tried to do what I did.  I did that based on my coach's recommendation.  She, the head coach, and I are meeting up again on Saturday at the track to take another look.  Should I plan to say (more diplomatically), "Let's cut the monkeying around with shortening my stride, just work on increasing cadence, and call it good"?  Technically, they're the experts and I don't want to be coming across as saying that I don't think they know what they're doing. 

Now I'm also questioning if shortening my stride would actually qualify as changing my gait.  I really don't know much about the technical aspects of running, I just did it. All I knew was that I kept tripping.  In order to increase cadence and stop over-striding with my right leg, as suggested, without completely dying, I had to shorten my stride.  Plus my right hip was collapsing some on the foot strike, which we were addressing with core strength training.  Is that, in your estimation, changing my gait?

http://triathletetraining.com/

Check out episode 46. It's Peter Pfitzinger discussing running form, drills, changing gait/or not, strides, hill reps and basically all the other stuff that's been posted by Ben, Matt, Salty and yourself. Well worth a listen.
2015-01-05 1:19 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

When I started trail running last year, I realized that with the wet, muddy conditions around here road shoes weren't going to cut it.  I did not like the idea of running in anything bulky or heavy as I have been used to doing most of my running in performance trainers.

So far, the Mizuno Hayate has worked really well.  I think I sacrifice a little bit of cushioning but at 8.8 ounces they feel like my lightweight road shoes.  Traction is pretty good.   

2015-01-05 2:14 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Just my 2 cents on changing gait, stride, form, etc.  is that your body will gravitate to what is most natural and efficient for you.  There are some very fast runners with unusual natural form.  I have experimented over the years with trying different things and nothing has ever stuck.

What I do believe is that you will gain economy and speed from shorter repeats like 400's and 800's at a moderately fast pace.  Whenever I can get in a series of these types of workouts over a  month or so I see some tangible gains.  I've also seen some gains from running hills too.

2015-01-05 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Housekeeping Note:

I've noticed that one of the features of the site that is not intuitive is "Inspires", and it is one of the many tools that this group uses a lot.  If you are not familiar with Inspires, please note that they differ from the regular threads.  The "inspire" tool works in a more 1 on 1 conversational manner than the regular threads do.  You can reply to them by clicking "Reply". This pops out a new window for you to type your response in so that the original poster can see it.  Fill out your response, click the "Post Comment" button and you will have replied in the other person's log.

2015-01-05 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh no!  No more injuries in the pod!  Especially no more shoulder injuries!

2015-01-05 2:33 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Oh man! I've come close to doing that but fortunately never actually fell. Glad you are ok.

Our roof started leaking last winter, right over our oldest son's electronics . DH and DS1 got if fixed with no major damage.

Glad you weathered the storm and got yours fixed as well.

Happy Monday

I did fall.  In class.  In front of everyone.  People picked on me for like a year.

In my defense, I was new to the trainer and had only used it a handful of times.  The person in the shop (it was a training session at a bike shop) helped me set it up.  I totally blame Justin!

2015-01-05 2:42 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Housekeeping Note:

I've noticed that one of the features of the site that is not intuitive is "Inspires", and it is one of the many tools that this group uses a lot.  If you are not familiar with Inspires, please note that they differ from the regular threads.  The "inspire" tool works in a more 1 on 1 conversational manner than the regular threads do.  You can reply to them by clicking "Reply". This pops out a new window for you to type your response in so that the original poster can see it.  Fill out your response, click the "Post Comment" button and you will have replied in the other person's log.

Also, please note that, in Yanti's words, "Keeping up your training log here on BT and opening it to other group members is mandatory."  This makes it a lot easier for us to help each other when training questions come up so please do this. It doesn't matter if you are using the "zen training plan" or whatever, just log what you do.

If you list your upcoming races on your training log  -- by adding to My Races or listing them in Dashboard, I'll do my best to include the in the listing of Racing Manatees.

We have a Google+ community that we use on an irregular basis.  Send your info to a returning Manatee (Janyne, Chris, Monica or Darren) and you will be added.

We have a Bike Gallery as well.  Post a picture of your racing steed and draw Chris B's attention to it.  He'll get you added.

We have a Strava group too.  Let Chris or Janyne know and we can add you.

Oh, we're on Twitter too...

Please be active and participate in the discussions/log your activities!  Inactive Manatees make us sad!

2015-01-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Oh man! I've come close to doing that but fortunately never actually fell. Glad you are ok.

Our roof started leaking last winter, right over our oldest son's electronics . DH and DS1 got if fixed with no major damage.

Happy Monday

I did fall.  In class.  In front of everyone.  People picked on me for like a year.

In my defense, I was new to the trainer and had only used it a handful of times.  The person in the shop (it was a training session at a bike shop) helped me set it up.  I totally blame Justin!

I fell too.  At home.  Bike popped off the trainer and I went down.  In my defense, I set it up myself and I am an idiot   And, I did it a second time too!!

Edited by amd723 2015-01-05 3:00 PM
2015-01-05 3:03 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer

Happy Monday

I fell too.  At home.  Bike popped off the trainer and I went down.  In my defense, I set it up myself and I am an idiot   And, I did it a second time too!!

If I were you, I'd blame Justin!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55388 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.