BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-25 5:33 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer The group has evolved a bit each iteration. Enjoy the ride!
I am!
I am definitely enjoying the ride so far. Out of curiosity, what happened to BT that it went from 30 groups to about 4-5? That's a pretty significant decline. Send like there are still plenty of people new to the sport and continuing to join. Im off to run so I can get my credits for today.

A lot of things happened to cause the changes in BT.

• A large group left for Facebook.
  • The main person behind BT became less involved.
  • New management (ownership?) that us perhaps less involved in BT on a day-to-da basis. 
  • Some key people, including Yanti, a founding Manatee, left to focus on other matters and no one picked up the slack.  You'll still see Yanti as a moderator on some boards but she's been off BT for about three years. With no new moderators being recruited, well, you get the idea.

2020-01-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: UberClydesdale

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by UberClydesdale

I've got a question for the Manatees. For those of you who are married or in a relationship, does your partner support your training? Is your partner a fellow athlete? ..... 

....So I'm just curious how everyone does it and how do your partner's support it. --Tom

Tom,  This is a very sensitive subject for lots of people.  No, my wife is not an athlete. When I started the sport 5 years ago I was very concerned about the time that training would take away from the family.  I looked at the calendar and after moving things around a dozen times came up with a plan that I though would make enough time for me to train without cutting into too much of the family time or my responsibilities around the home.  Then I approached my wife and told her that I wanted to the 70.3 Triathlon in the town we lived in 8 months.  She had concerns.  First, she said you don't own a bike.  I did own a bike it just had been in our garage for 8 years to where she had never seen me ride a bike in the time she had known me.  Then she expressed concerns that I would come home from weekend workouts and crash on the couch for a few hours to where I wouldn't get the weekend chores done.  Then she expressed concerns that I would take too much time away from the family.  So I didn't sign up for the race, but I started testing the training plan to see if it would work.  I had to do 100% of my running and cycling on weekdays before 7:00 AM (the family got up between 7:00-7:30 AM).  I then had to do my swimming during my lunch break from work (which limited me to 20 minutes in water a day for 4-5 times a week).  I did up to 3 hours bike rides on Saturday mornings, but go them done early and due to doing my nutrition better than I did the two years that I tried to be a Marathon runner I was able to do my morning workout and still get through all the other activities of the day without letting too many things slide.  After working the plan for a while and things working out I did sign up for the 70.3 race in our home town.  Things when good for the first race, but then I planned a Half Ironman race 13 months after the first race and training started over again.  Then I planned another race 13 months after the 2nd race and trained was about to start over for another year, but by that time there was definitely some friction.   My wife would say we needed to do a project early on Saturday morning and I wouldn't know if I should tell her that I had a 3 hour bike ride planned or if I should just skip it and not say a thing.  If I did skip it I would feel like I was sacrificing for the family and the next week when my wife said that she had a project we need to get done early in the morning and I thought it was my turn to do a workout she would feel like I never made priorities for the family and was always going off to have fun when there was work to be done and I didn't have my priorities straight.  So, before training for the 3rd season we had to discuss whether I needed to quite triathlon all together or if it I should stick with it.  We decided that quitting it would just result in filling the time in the week up with less ambitious goals (i.e. watching another movie rather than riding another 30 miles).  So we made goals together for the 3rd year of training and thing changed dramatically.   Instead of my wife saying, "We need to get this project done early on Saturday morning", I would say, "I feel like I should maybe skip my Saturday morning workout so we can get a jump start on this project".  My wife would then say "What is your Saturday morning workout".  I would tell her I have a 3 hour bike ride and she would say, "You need to get that done first or you won't meet the goals that you make for this year".  It was a total 180 degree turn-a-round.  Because we had made goals for the whole year together and because My wife was a part of making those goals the time I spent working towards my goals were no longer seen as taking away from her but seen as if I didn't do them that I would just end up wasting my time watching another movie or doing something else less-productive and she didn't want to see me falling into that trap. 

It is still touch and go sometimes with the training but I am up at 5:30AM everyday to run my 8 miles while the family is sleeping and they recognize that I trying to better myself and trying to pull my weight with the family responsibilities.  Its still not perfect and my wife does feel jealous some time that I have time to exercise everyday and she sees year after year pass when she makes goals to exercise but never gets past day three.  Our youngest turned 5 last year and all three of our kids have shown interest in running.  I have search for youth running clubs for three years but it is really rural where we live so part of our year goals for 2020 I asked my wife if it would be alright if I started a youth running club for our daughters and a few other running families that we have talked to over the past 3 years that also had expressed regrets for there not being any running clubs in our area.  She got excited about the idea of our youngest finally being old enough to run with the family and it gave her hope that she would finally be able to get on an exercise plan that would last more than 3-days.  She is still not an athlete, and she will never be interest in competitive running like I do but she is interest in having a regular exercise plan and so we are going to start the club as a way to improve ourselves in 2020.  We have 23 kids on the roster and will start club workouts in three weeks. It won't be a cake walk will take a lot of work but we want to be productive people so work together to be those type of people.   Plan together.  It won't change things overnight but it is a start and it has improved things in my home over the past 2-1/2 years.  

2020-01-25 8:54 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I've got a question for the Manatees. For those of you who are married or in a relationship, does your partner support your training? Is your partner a fellow athlete? ..... 

....So I'm just curious how everyone does it and how do your partner's support it. --Tom

Tom,  This is a very sensitive subject for lots of people.  No, my wife is not an athlete. When I started the sport 5 years ago I was very concerned about the time that training would take away from the family.  I looked at the calendar and after moving things around a dozen times came up with a plan that I though would make enough time for me to train without cutting into too much of the family time or my responsibilities around the home.  Then I approached my wife and told her that I wanted to the 70.3 Triathlon in the town we lived in 8 months.  She had concerns.  First, she said you don't own a bike.  I did own a bike it just had been in our garage for 8 years to where she had never seen me ride a bike in the time she had known me.  Then she expressed concerns that I would come home from weekend workouts and crash on the couch for a few hours to where I wouldn't get the weekend chores done.  Then she expressed concerns that I would take too much time away from the family.  So I didn't sign up for the race, but I started testing the training plan to see if it would work.  I had to do 100% of my running and cycling on weekdays before 7:00 AM (the family got up between 7:00-7:30 AM).  I then had to do my swimming during my lunch break from work (which limited me to 20 minutes in water a day for 4-5 times a week).  I did up to 3 hours bike rides on Saturday mornings, but go them done early and due to doing my nutrition better than I did the two years that I tried to be a Marathon runner I was able to do my morning workout and still get through all the other activities of the day without letting too many things slide.  After working the plan for a while and things working out I did sign up for the 70.3 race in our home town.  Things when good for the first race, but then I planned a Half Ironman race 13 months after the first race and training started over again.  Then I planned another race 13 months after the 2nd race and trained was about to start over for another year, but by that time there was definitely some friction.   My wife would say we needed to do a project early on Saturday morning and I wouldn't know if I should tell her that I had a 3 hour bike ride planned or if I should just skip it and not say a thing.  If I did skip it I would feel like I was sacrificing for the family and the next week when my wife said that she had a project we need to get done early in the morning and I thought it was my turn to do a workout she would feel like I never made priorities for the family and was always going off to have fun when there was work to be done and I didn't have my priorities straight.  So, before training for the 3rd season we had to discuss whether I needed to quite triathlon all together or if it I should stick with it.  We decided that quitting it would just result in filling the time in the week up with less ambitious goals (i.e. watching another movie rather than riding another 30 miles).  So we made goals together for the 3rd year of training and thing changed dramatically.   Instead of my wife saying, "We need to get this project done early on Saturday morning", I would say, "I feel like I should maybe skip my Saturday morning workout so we can get a jump start on this project".  My wife would then say "What is your Saturday morning workout".  I would tell her I have a 3 hour bike ride and she would say, "You need to get that done first or you won't meet the goals that you make for this year".  It was a total 180 degree turn-a-round.  Because we had made goals for the whole year together and because My wife was a part of making those goals the time I spent working towards my goals were no longer seen as taking away from her but seen as if I didn't do them that I would just end up wasting my time watching another movie or doing something else less-productive and she didn't want to see me falling into that trap. 

It is still touch and go sometimes with the training but I am up at 5:30AM everyday to run my 8 miles while the family is sleeping and they recognize that I trying to better myself and trying to pull my weight with the family responsibilities.  Its still not perfect and my wife does feel jealous some time that I have time to exercise everyday and she sees year after year pass when she makes goals to exercise but never gets past day three.  Our youngest turned 5 last year and all three of our kids have shown interest in running.  I have search for youth running clubs for three years but it is really rural where we live so part of our year goals for 2020 I asked my wife if it would be alright if I started a youth running club for our daughters and a few other running families that we have talked to over the past 3 years that also had expressed regrets for there not being any running clubs in our area.  She got excited about the idea of our youngest finally being old enough to run with the family and it gave her hope that she would finally be able to get on an exercise plan that would last more than 3-days.  She is still not an athlete, and she will never be interest in competitive running like I do but she is interest in having a regular exercise plan and so we are going to start the club as a way to improve ourselves in 2020.  We have 23 kids on the roster and will start club workouts in three weeks. It won't be a cake walk will take a lot of work but we want to be productive people so work together to be those type of people.   Plan together.  It won't change things overnight but it is a start and it has improved things in my home over the past 2-1/2 years.  

Curtis, there is so much awesomeness (I stole that from Chris!) in this post, but the best part is the running club!  What a great way to get everyone in the family involved AND give back to your community.  LOVE IT!

2020-01-25 9:21 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

It's not a triathlon, but I did do 1000 yards in the pool today, then a couple hours later I did 15 minutes on The Suffererfest, immediately followed by two minutes of running on treadmill, then three minutes of walking as sort of a mini brick. I have so far to go on a real triathlon, but a lot of progress over the last few weeks for sure.
2020-01-26 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Strava has added a Tri Challege for February -- Swim, bike, run, handcycle, wheelchair for a total of 25 hours in February. Athletes who complete the challenge will receive a digital finisher's badge in their Trophy Case. (super exciting, I know)

2020-01-26 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri It's not a triathlon, but I did do 1000 yards in the pool today, then a couple hours later I did 15 minutes on The Suffererfest, immediately followed by two minutes of running on treadmill, then three minutes of walking as sort of a mini brick. I have so far to go on a real triathlon, but a lot of progress over the last few weeks for sure.

Nice! We need to find you an indoor tri!

2020-01-26 9:41 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Curtis, there is so much awesomeness (I stole that from Chris!) in this post, but the best part is the running club!  What a great way to get everyone in the family involved AND give back to your community.  LOVE IT!

She says it all! I love the running club. What a perfect way to solve several challenges at once.

2020-01-26 9:43 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Strava has added a Tri Challege for February -- Swim, bike, run, handcycle, wheelchair for a total of 25 hours in February. Athletes who complete the challenge will receive a digital finisher's badge in their Trophy Case. (super exciting, I know)

I joined. this is the first ever challenge I have done in Strava.

2020-01-26 10:35 AM

It's not a triathlon, but I did do 1000 yards in the pool today, then a couple hours later I did 15 minutes on The Suffererfest, immediately followed by two minutes of running on treadmill, then three minutes of walking as sort of a mini brick. I have so far to go on a real triathlon, but a lot of progress over the last few weeks for sure.

It counts - it all counts.
2020-01-26 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for sharing! I hope that you will keep us up to date on the run club!

2020-01-26 6:12 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
My spousal support story may be a bit unusual, but it works for us.

My husband does not like triathlon. At all. He wishes I'd get involved in something else.

However, he sees how much happier I am training & racing (seriously, when I had to skip 3 days of workouts for life stuff, I apparently became a monster & he requested I go for a run or something), so he generally doesn't complain & lets me do my thing.

He travels a lot, but when he is home, I am very conscientious about training at a time that doesn't impact our time together.

I trained for IM Louisville last year, and he was a trooper. After the race, though, he did ask I take a year & do shorter stuff so I could travel a bit with him when possible. I agreed this was totally fair.

I do not expect him to come to my races as I know he would hate it. Plus, I would feel the need to make sure he was comfortable, happy, etc which would take away from my experience. My sister goes instead (and she is the BEST race day support crew), but I saw that my husband does have iron tracker on my phone & texted my sister for updates throughout the day at Louisville.

Like I said, he's supportive in his own way & I'm grateful for it.

2020-01-26 8:31 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Laramie, Wyoming

First off, I want to thank all of you who shared your experiences and suggestions with the rest of us. There were some great ideas shared that I'm looking forward to share with my wife. I'm hoping that getting her involved in the planning process will help her to be as invested into this journey as I am. 

Onto some good news... I was finally able to get my new bike tires. The wife and I weren't home much this weekend, so I haven't had time to install the tires and get the bike on the trainer, but that will happen this week. I'm really excited to be able to get on the bike again (without having to bundle up like a sherpa) and get some saddle time in. --Tom

2020-01-26 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Not married, but that doesn't necessarily make things easier! Since shortly after my dad's death in 2018, I've been living with my mother (now 81). She's always been active (and still sometimes follows me on runs, even long ones, if I do a flat route and it's not too hot or cold; given enough time, she can still put in 25 miles on the bike!) but has never been a competitive athlete and doesn't really "get it" about triathlon. In general I've found that the shorter the event, the easier it is to balance training and racing with family time and other demands. Full Ironman in particular is really a sacrifice for anyone you live with (as well as yourself!). I know some people manage to balance it with full-time jobs, marriage, and kids, and I don't know how they do it. I seriously doubt I could. I don't think I would attempt one, even in my current situation, while working full-time. Maybe a late summer race....maybe. (I'm a teacher.)

We probably had two or three big arguments about my triathlon passion (she calls it an obsession) in several years during the time I was doing HIM while living (either part-time, in the summer or full-time) with Mom and probably as many per month during the time I was training for full IM. Mainly due to the time that my long rides/runs were taking up. I think if married I would not attempt full IM without some major buy-in from my spouse that I would then feel the need to somehow reciprocate! If I had the energy to actually go looking, I'd consider being a triathlete or having a passion for some other endurance sport a definite plus--it would be nice to have someone who understood my love of the sport, even if they didn't share it exactly.

The best I can do in this case is try to make it clear what my plan is each day; work out with Mom when/what days I'll be available to do more time-consuming errands or chores, or other things she wants to do, and involve her in planning my race schedule so we go to places that she wants to travel. Mom enjoys travel, walking, and biking, so sometimes we do a weekend trip (or just a day trip) to somewhere where she can do a pleasure ride or walk while I get in a run or longer bike workout on the same course, then go out for brunch or dinner, and maybe spend the night in a hotel. When we lived in Idaho, places like Sun Valley or Cour de Alene; to the coast or up in the mountains in Oregon.

I try to do the majority of my training during the work week in the morning before Mom gets up so she doesn't feel we don't have enough time as a family due to my training or that she has to delay making/eating dinner till I finish a workout. That also fits well with my workday schedule--we tend to have lots of meetings, sometimes unannounced, that can eat up my time after the kids leave. The one area that's hard is swimming--I only have pool access from 5:30 to 6:30 PM here, can't get home till 7 on those days, and that's late for her to eat dinner. I tell her she should go ahead and eat, but she won't. Just not anything I can do about it.
2020-01-27 8:33 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For those Scosche fans out there

PSA:  Scosche Rhythm24 and Rhythm+ 40% off with discount code FIT40.  Good through TODAY.

Sorry for the late notice.

(Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 9.09.36 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 9.09.36 AM.png (216KB - 1 downloads)
2020-01-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Double post

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-01-27 12:19 PM
2020-01-27 9:11 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

....Oh, one other thing.  I select events based on what there is for him to do in the area.  I did the St. George marathon last fall because Kevin wanted to mtb there.  I'm doing the Chattanooga 70.3 because Kevin likes the trails in the area.

I did the St. George Marathon last fall too.  I kind of fall into the category of your husband where I think that Marathons, Ironman races, etc are pretty crazy.  I, however, have a bother that is 18 months younger than me that did two full Ironman events in 2002 and in the last couple of years has started to do ultra trail runs (i.e. 100 miler type stuff).   So...I do some of these crazy long races in an effort to have a shared experience with my brother and understand him better.  My ultra Marathon Brother lives an hour from me here in Oklahoma but we have two siblings living in Utah included one in St. George so we all ran the Marathon.  It was my first Marathon in 10 years and the first Marathon for both of my Utah siblings.  St George Marathon 2020

2020-01-27 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

....Oh, one other thing.  I select events based on what there is for him to do in the area.  I did the St. George marathon last fall because Kevin wanted to mtb there.  I'm doing the Chattanooga 70.3 because Kevin likes the trails in the area.

I did the St. George Marathon last fall too.  I kind of fall into the category of your husband where I think that Marathons, Ironman races, etc are pretty crazy.  I, however, have a bother that is 18 months younger than me that did two full Ironman events in 2002 and in the last couple of years has started to do ultra trail runs (i.e. 100 miler type stuff).   So...I do some of these crazy long races in an effort to have a shared experience with my brother and understand him better.  My ultra Marathon Brother lives an hour from me here in Oklahoma but we have two siblings living in Utah included one in St. George so we all ran the Marathon.  It was my first Marathon in 10 years and the first Marathon for both of my Utah siblings.St George Marathon 2020

Very cool that you race with family! I've done a number of triathlons and half marathons (and 25k trail race) with siblings and in-laws and find it is a great way to stay in touch and share experiences despite living in different cities and or states. None of my family members will join me on any triathlon longer than a sprint though! The HM and 25k were one-offs too, but they and the rest of the family track me when i do IM and HIM, so it's almost like they've done it too 

2020-01-27 9:25 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pet insurance. Glad we got it with Kokua, aka Baby Shark. It appears he likes to eat mulch when we're not watching him in the backyard. He had surgery this morning to remove the mulch that was blocking his intestines.

His father is staying home from school today to get rid of the mulch in the yard. He also gets to stay home with him tomorrow to babysit the little shark. I don't get sick days this year so I get to stay at work and answer questions, like, "Miss, why is Mr.C not here?" every 10 seconds.
2020-01-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Pet insurance. Glad we got it with Kokua, aka Baby Shark. It appears he likes to eat mulch when we're not watching him in the backyard. He had surgery this morning to remove the mulch that was blocking his intestines. His father is staying home from school today to get rid of the mulch in the yard. He also gets to stay home with him tomorrow to babysit the little shark. I don't get sick days this year so I get to stay at work and answer questions, like, "Miss, why is Mr.C not here?" every 10 seconds.

Oh no!  I hope that he recovers well.

{{hugs}}

2020-01-27 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Curtis, just flat out inspirational!!  Wow.  Way to turn it into a "family objective" rather than just trying to squeeze it in as "me time".

2020-01-27 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

EVERY LITTLE BIT counts dude!  You can critique yourself, but never sell yourself short.  According to the CDC, over 80% of adult Americans do not even exercise the minimum 3d x 30m each week.  You are already far above average.

More than 80% of adult do not meet the guidelines... 

2020-01-27 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Weekly Total for last week:

• Swim - 3300 yds, 1h, 17m
  • Bike - 22.9 mi - 1h 35m
  • Walk - 3.06 mi - 55m 3s

Not bad for a week where I lost Monday to Grandpa Duty.

2020-01-27 11:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer The group has evolved a bit each iteration. Enjoy the ride!
I am!
I am definitely enjoying the ride so far. Out of curiosity, what happened to BT that it went from 30 groups to about 4-5? That's a pretty significant decline. Send like there are still plenty of people new to the sport and continuing to join. Im off to run so I can get my credits for today.

• New management (ownership?) that us perhaps less involved in BT on a day-to-da basis. 
  • Some key people, including Yanti, a founding Manatee, left to focus on other matters and no one picked up the slack.  You'll still see Yanti as a moderator on some boards but she's been off BT for about three years. With no new moderators being recruited, well, you get the idea.

I noticed the biggest decline with the last "redesign" of the site. It made it significantly more difficult to socialize, adding more clicks, more time, etc. just to check in on your friends. The feedback was given by so many members and simply ignored. It's now just habit and new people don't have anything to compare it to, but I truly think the redesign and ignoring of the feedback drove a lot of regulars away from the site in general. Which in turn, trickled down to mentor groups.

And around the same time, there were a few BTers who were just unnecessarily aggressive and mean. I pretty much stopped posting in the regular forums because of those interactions, and I think a lot of others did as well.

2020-01-27 12:51 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

I am!

I noticed the biggest decline with the last "redesign" of the site. It made it significantly more difficult to socialize, adding more clicks, more time, etc. just to check in on your friends. The feedback was given by so many members and simply ignored. It's now just habit and new people don't have anything to compare it to, but I truly think the redesign and ignoring of the feedback drove a lot of regulars away from the site in general. Which in turn, trickled down to mentor groups.

And around the same time, there were a few BTers who were just unnecessarily aggressive and mean. I pretty much stopped posting in the regular forums because of those interactions, and I think a lot of others did as well.

Ah! You have a good memory!

Yeah, I skimmed over the mean people being banned part. I think that they are all in Facebook group if you want that.

2020-01-27 1:30 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by fortissimo Pet insurance. Glad we got it with Kokua, aka Baby Shark. It appears he likes to eat mulch when we're not watching him in the backyard. He had surgery this morning to remove the mulch that was blocking his intestines. His father is staying home from school today to get rid of the mulch in the yard. He also gets to stay home with him tomorrow to babysit the little shark. I don't get sick days this year so I get to stay at work and answer questions, like, "Miss, why is Mr.C not here?" every 10 seconds.

Oh no!!  I hope Baby Shark pulls through surgery and recovery with flying colors and stays away from mulch in the future!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127