BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-01-05 3:21 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by popsracer

Yesterday was a rough one.  I fell on my bike...on my trainer.  Was reaching for the remote control and went too far.  The whole thing slid out from under me and I hit on my shoulder and hip.  Wow,  I haven't done that in a while.  No harm but felt pretty silly.

Then my son comes in "Daddy, there's water dripping through the ceiling in my room".  Ugh, it has been raining heavily and the roof sprung a leak.  So I get up on the roof  which is three stories high wrestling a sheet of plywood in the dark with sheets of rain and strong gusting winds.  It was a nightmare.  Got it tacked down and the leak stopped.

I trust today will be better.

Oh man! I've come close to doing that but fortunately never actually fell. Glad you are ok.

Our roof started leaking last winter, right over our oldest son's electronics . DH and DS1 got if fixed with no major damage.

Glad you weathered the storm and got yours fixed as well.

Happy Monday

I did fall.  In class.  In front of everyone.  People picked on me for like a year.

In my defense, I was new to the trainer and had only used it a handful of times.  The person in the shop (it was a training session at a bike shop) helped me set it up.  I totally blame Justin!

I fell too.  At home.  Bike popped off the trainer and I went down.  In my defense, I set it up myself and I am an idiot   And, I did it a second time too!!

If I were you, I'd blame Justin!

Damn you Justin!!

2015-01-05 3:26 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Yesterday was a rough one.  I fell on my bike...on my trainer.  Was reaching for the remote control and went too far.  The whole thing slid out from under me and I hit on my shoulder and hip.  Wow,  I haven't done that in a while.  No harm but felt pretty silly.

Then my son comes in "Daddy, there's water dripping through the ceiling in my room".  Ugh, it has been raining heavily and the roof sprung a leak.  So I get up on the roof  which is three stories high wrestling a sheet of plywood in the dark with sheets of rain and strong gusting winds.  It was a nightmare.  Got it tacked down and the leak stopped.

Oh man! I've come close to doing that but fortunately never actually fell. Glad you are ok.

Our roof started leaking last winter, right over our oldest son's electronics . DH and DS1 got if fixed with no major damage.

Happy Monday

I did fall.  In class.  In front of everyone.  People picked on me for like a year.

In my defense, I was new to the trainer and had only used it a handful of times.  The person in the shop (it was a training session at a bike shop) helped me set it up.  I totally blame Justin!

I fell too.  At home.  Bike popped off the trainer and I went down.  In my defense, I set it up myself and I am an idiot   And, I did it a second time too!!

Damn you Justin!!

This Just--in: you are damned.

2015-01-05 3:43 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Happy Monday

Damn you Justin!!

This Just--in: you are damned.

Ah, the resident word-player 'rides' again 

2015-01-05 4:06 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Like you guys mention, I mostly just run lots and let my body gravitate towards what is most economical. There are always things you can work on and be conscious of but straight up trying to change your gait is usually not a good idea.

Okay so the consensus here is that I shouldn't have tried to do what I did.  I did that based on my coach's recommendation.  She, the head coach, and I are meeting up again on Saturday at the track to take another look.  Should I plan to say (more diplomatically), "Let's cut the monkeying around with shortening my stride, just work on increasing cadence, and call it good"?  Technically, they're the experts and I don't want to be coming across as saying that I don't think they know what they're doing. 

Now I'm also questioning if shortening my stride would actually qualify as changing my gait.  I really don't know much about the technical aspects of running, I just did it. All I knew was that I kept tripping.  In order to increase cadence and stop over-striding with my right leg, as suggested, without completely dying, I had to shorten my stride.  Plus my right hip was collapsing some on the foot strike, which we were addressing with core strength training.  Is that, in your estimation, changing my gait?

http://triathletetraining.com/

Check out episode 46. It's Peter Pfitzinger discussing running form, drills, changing gait/or not, strides, hill reps and basically all the other stuff that's been posted by Ben, Matt, Salty and yourself. Well worth a listen.

Also check episode 44, but skip through to about 57 minute mark, unless you want to hear about bare foot running for an hour. He talks a lot about cadence and drills etc. I may try the skipping drill. Basically, the take-away from it is---- run tall, head over pelvis, look at the horizon not the floor, chest proud, shoulders relaxed. This should be what you should be aiming to achieve before even thinking about cadence.
2015-01-05 4:32 PM

User image

Master

Just finished my first try at a Sufferfest session. They have 3-4 in the Strava Training Videos, so I thought I'd check out The Hunted (it's what I had time for). It's been awhile since I've done anything besides a steady ride on the trainer. Liked it overall. My brain was mad at seeing climbs, but pedaling in the big ring (looked wrong, effort right?) Will probably put some other music over their choices. lol

Oh, and the Stupid Roller Tricks at the end made me think of the trainer accidents y'all are reporting...except he didn't fall. 

2015-01-05 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Like you guys mention, I mostly just run lots and let my body gravitate towards what is most economical. There are always things you can work on and be conscious of but straight up trying to change your gait is usually not a good idea.

Okay so the consensus here is that I shouldn't have tried to do what I did.  I did that based on my coach's recommendation.  She, the head coach, and I are meeting up again on Saturday at the track to take another look.  Should I plan to say (more diplomatically), "Let's cut the monkeying around with shortening my stride, just work on increasing cadence, and call it good"?  Technically, they're the experts and I don't want to be coming across as saying that I don't think they know what they're doing. 

Now I'm also questioning if shortening my stride would actually qualify as changing my gait.  I really don't know much about the technical aspects of running, I just did it. All I knew was that I kept tripping.  In order to increase cadence and stop over-striding with my right leg, as suggested, without completely dying, I had to shorten my stride.  Plus my right hip was collapsing some on the foot strike, which we were addressing with core strength training.  Is that, in your estimation, changing my gait?

http://triathletetraining.com/Check out episode 46. It's Peter Pfitzinger discussing running form, drills, changing gait/or not, strides, hill reps and basically all the other stuff that's been posted by Ben, Matt, Salty and yourself. Well worth a listen.
Also check episode 44, but skip through to about 57 minute mark, unless you want to hear about bare foot running for an hour. He talks a lot about cadence and drills etc. I may try the skipping drill. Basically, the take-away from it is---- run tall, head over pelvis, look at the horizon not the floor, chest proud, shoulders relaxed. This should be what you should be aiming to achieve before even thinking about cadence.

I found that my form improved from just running more like Salty and crew suggested.  I would do drills before my track workout, but for the most part my form naturally got better over time.

2015-01-05 4:45 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Just finished my first try at a Sufferfest session. They have 3-4 in the Strava Training Videos, so I thought I'd check out The Hunted (it's what I had time for). It's been awhile since I've done anything besides a steady ride on the trainer. Liked it overall. My brain was mad at seeing climbs, but pedaling in the big ring (looked wrong, effort right?) Will probably put some other music over their choices. lol

Oh, and the Stupid Roller Tricks at the end made me think of the trainer accidents y'all are reporting...except he didn't fall. 

*Insert evil laugh*
2015-01-05 5:53 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Damn you Manatees I am now going to be late for work again - oh well.

I just want to say THANK THE LORD for
- refrigeration;
- Air conditioning; and
- cold water

Been a bit hot here for the last few days, yesterday especially 113 and still 105 at 5pm.
2015-01-05 6:05 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK Damn you Manatees I am now going to be late for work again - oh well. I just want to say THANK THE LORD for - refrigeration; - Air conditioning; and - cold water Been a bit hot here for the last few days, yesterday especially 113 and still 105 at 5pm.

Blame Justin. He's responsible for both the heat and you being late.  Clearly. 

2015-01-05 6:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by StaceyK Damn you Manatees I am now going to be late for work again - oh well. I just want to say THANK THE LORD for - refrigeration; - Air conditioning; and - cold water Been a bit hot here for the last few days, yesterday especially 113 and still 105 at 5pm.

It's going to be 1 degree F here on wednesday! 

2015-01-05 6:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Had some fun at the YMCA pool again today.  Did 150 meters and was worn out!  definitely was enjoyable though considering the cold weather we are having.  Doesn't seem like much to me but I need to really take it slow at the beginning, I tend to injure myself fairly easy early on.

Edited by Havok 2015-01-05 6:14 PM

2015-01-05 6:27 PM
in reply to: Havok

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Havok

It's about that right now here. Thursday is looking to start at like -13F or so.

2015-01-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

HAPPYSTONED

You've gotten great advice and resources from everyone.

With all due respect (you know what that means in British, right? ) to your coach/es, they are experts in coaching. Unless they're PTs or similar professionals who specialize in kinesiology for endurance runners, they should not be messing with your running form.

2015-01-05 6:51 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

Originally posted by Techdiver

Originally posted by Techdiver

Welcome, Chris.  Since there are now 2 Chrises in addition to the 2 Matts and 2 Michaels, guess we better come up with a way to tell you two apart.  How about Chris Can (you) and Chris Ban (cdban66)?  Or we can just call you Spanky. 

Let me know if you want in on the challenge (see rules on p. 1).  It started on 1/1 but since you just joined us, I think we could squeeze you in.  Don't want you to miss out on ALL the Manatee mayhem. 

You can call me Spanky if you want. My most common nickname. or hell call me what you please I won't be offended. Thank you for the welcome. Will see how this goes after a year off. I am just reading up on 18 pages and trying to catch up. I am sure I am willing to get into whatever challenge is out there. This is why I am here. Challenges and accountability, without it I spend time playing with kids and eating icecream and making other bad choices...ha. I will hopefully get caught up and find out what the challenge is by end of day. We have no heat at work and I am wearing my sweater, coat and toque still. 54 degrees F in my office. BRRRRR.

Call you what I want, just don't call you late for dinner?    The challenge is basically do something, anything, 10 min. a day.  If you want to make a harder goal, just PM me with the details.

No heat--yikes!!  At least you'll stay awake.  Hope it comes back on soon.

Maybe shivering will count for his 10min of activity for the day?

First thanks Monica for the hello. Long time no chat.

Does this count as my 10 mins today. I plan on going to spin class later. I am sure I can commit to 10 mins a day every day. This gives me a reason to do some yoga even on down days.

I was about to shave my Movember beard off but it has remained. Let me know if link works. I had to do some transferring of phone/work computer etc. Any photo site is blocked at work. So I won't be able to tell

[IMG]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/techdiver74/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150105_110316.jpg[/IMG]

Guess that didn't work. I am going to have to review how to post to this again.

I read that as "going to shave your Mother"

my mom might need a shave. But I am not going there at all. For now my moustache is thicker than hers... hahaha.

2015-01-05 6:52 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by brigby1

It's about that right now here. Thursday is looking to start at like -13F or so.

Ohh, what I'd do for a nice 65-70 degree calm sunny spring day. 

2015-01-05 6:55 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
my new ride. Picked up last year.

my new ride photo IMG_20140420_104831_edit.jpg

and my old dog that Yanti was talking about. She has been gone almost 2 years and there is still an empty spot in my heart that isn't filled.

photo Sasha2009-B-1.jpg

Edited by Techdiver 2015-01-05 7:10 PM

2015-01-05 7:32 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Hmmmm...I'll just zip it and let you look up my weather for this week. :D
2015-01-05 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Thought I'd do a short hill run up and over the "hill" closest to my house. It happens to be a bridge over a walking path tunnel. It also happens to not register any elevation...at all. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Even after four passes. Hehe
2015-01-05 9:23 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It's about time to become a snowbird.

2015-01-05 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

It's about time to become a snowbird.

As a life-long snow-hound recently turned snow-bird, I can recommend it!  Never thought I'd say it, but my blood has thinned.

Matt

2015-01-06 12:05 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

When we were in KS, we stopped by a LRS and found they were having a few sales. J got a pair of Newtons and a pair of Pearl Izumis ($60...total!). I found a pair of Pearl Izumi road M3s for $30. I've never tried them and figured it was a good price even if I didn't end up running in them. After putting in a few short runs, they're pretty comfy! And bonus...they're neon    Anyway, I like happy surprises. (you know, much better than unhappy ones)

2015-01-06 12:48 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Do your easy runs gets faster over time or do you try to stick with a certain pace over long periods of time?  I know a lot of fast runners run most of their miles at what would seem really slow compared to what they race or do quality workouts at.  As the fast get faster do easy runs stay the same and just get easier with more emphasis on improving quality workout paces or do all types of workouts get progressively faster?  I hope that question makes sense.

I ask because my easy runs have progressively gotten faster over the last three years or so.  I'm beginning to wonder if I am running them too fast compared to my race times.  I try to follow Jack Daniels pace charts but my VDOT varies widely (42-47) depending on the race distance I use to calculate my paces and I feel I need to back off.  What is your rule of thumb for easy pace runs?

2015-01-06 2:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Do your easy runs gets faster over time or do you try to stick with a certain pace over long periods of time?  I know a lot of fast runners run most of their miles at what would seem really slow compared to what they race or do quality workouts at.  As the fast get faster do easy runs stay the same and just get easier with more emphasis on improving quality workout paces or do all types of workouts get progressively faster?  I hope that question makes sense.

I ask because my easy runs have progressively gotten faster over the last three years or so.  I'm beginning to wonder if I am running them too fast compared to my race times.  I try to follow Jack Daniels pace charts but my VDOT varies widely (42-47) depending on the race distance I use to calculate my paces and I feel I need to back off.  What is your rule of thumb for easy pace runs?

if its between walking and dying for me then its an easy pace its a pretty narrow window between the two.
(but I'm just new to running)

so dumb question but what is VDOT and what's the purpose of measuring it?
2015-01-06 7:42 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK

if its between walking and dying for me then its an easy pace its a pretty narrow window between the two. (but I'm just new to running) so dumb question but what is VDOT and what's the purpose of measuring it?

Here's a good explanation from the man (Jack Daniels) himself:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/threshold-training-finding-your-vdot

Basically, it's a gauge of your effort levels during a race--then extrapolates to other race distances but most importantly to give you a range of training paces so you can train more effectively.

2015-01-06 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK

if its between walking and dying for me then its an easy pace its a pretty narrow window between the two. (but I'm just new to running) so dumb question but what is VDOT and what's the purpose of measuring it?

Here's a good explanation from the man (Jack Daniels) himself:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/threshold-training-finding-your-vdot

Basically, it's a gauge of your effort levels during a race--then extrapolates to other race distances but most importantly to give you a range of training paces so you can train more effectively.

I'm pretty biased, but when I was struggling with getting faster on the run I was told to get the book "Jack Daniels' Running Formula".  You can find it online for next to nothing, but it's a great system that transformed my running.  I love the concept of "if you think your training paces are too slow, then prove it in a race!".

Following the 5-15k program in that same book helped me get my first sub 40 10k.

Edited by msteiner 2015-01-06 8:21 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55388 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.