BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-01-27 1:31 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Weekly Total for last week:

• Swim - 3300 yds, 1h, 17m
  • Bike - 22.9 mi - 1h 35m
  • Walk - 3.06 mi - 55m 3s

Not bad for a week where I lost Monday to Grandpa Duty.

Nice, very nice!  Keep it going!

2020-01-27 1:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by jmkizer The group has evolved a bit each iteration. Enjoy the ride!
I am!
I am definitely enjoying the ride so far. Out of curiosity, what happened to BT that it went from 30 groups to about 4-5? That's a pretty significant decline. Send like there are still plenty of people new to the sport and continuing to join. Im off to run so I can get my credits for today.

A lot of things happened to cause the changes in BT.

• A large group left for Facebook.
  • The main person behind BT became less involved.
  • New management (ownership?) that us perhaps less involved in BT on a day-to-da basis. 
  • Some key people, including Yanti, a founding Manatee, left to focus on other matters and no one picked up the slack.  You'll still see Yanti as a moderator on some boards but she's been off BT for about three years. With no new moderators being recruited, well, you get the idea.

I noticed the biggest decline with the last "redesign" of the site. It made it significantly more difficult to socialize, adding more clicks, more time, etc. just to check in on your friends. The feedback was given by so many members and simply ignored. It's now just habit and new people don't have anything to compare it to, but I truly think the redesign and ignoring of the feedback drove a lot of regulars away from the site in general. Which in turn, trickled down to mentor groups.

And around the same time, there were a few BTers who were just unnecessarily aggressive and mean. I pretty much stopped posting in the regular forums because of those interactions, and I think a lot of others did as well.

Ah! You have a good memory!

Yeah, I skimmed over the mean people being banned part. I think that they are all in Facebook group if you want that.

It seemed that it was a "perfect storm" of things.  FB and other social media really took off.  We had some very aggressive behavior in the posts and it became a much less friendly place for beginners.  Without the beginner crowd, numbers began to decline.  Most of my "old friends" are on other platforms; but don't necessary do triathlon any longer.  As Lisa stated the changes with the site made it even more difficult to communicate and people largely rejected it.  It's taken me a long time to come back.  The spirit of this group models what the whole site was for me back in 2010.  While it takes effort to regularly visit our threads and leave comments, it is worth it with the connections that develop.  You won't find that on Slowtwich, etc.  Just my .02.

2020-01-27 2:15 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I agree with everyone's sentiments regarding Curtis's post - so awesome!!

I'm always amazed by the people who have full time jobs, families with either with children, elderly parents or BOTH and still make all the training work. It's truly inspirational and I have so much respect for you all.

And I do NOT take it for granted that 1. both my parents are healthy and 2. I have no children to work into my schedule and 3. not only is my husband super supportive he also trains and competes with me (well, not WITH me, at the same time as me because he's WAY faster than I am).

However, the grass is not ALWAYS greener....From February to April I work 55 to 70 hours a week and it wears on my physically and mentally and takes away from training. And it gets tougher every year.

Rock on!

and regarding the BT discussion, I used to be part of a mountain biking vbulletin website that was HUGE until Facebook took off. I think that's really destroyed the online boards. I joined BT in the middle of its decline I think and this group has been the most active (and helpful) section on the whole board.
2020-01-27 8:16 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Tom, like many have said it just comes down to communication from goals to training. My wife works out and we both understand we each are looking for that time and when we miss a workout we are both a little anxious. I typically wait till after dinner and kids in bed before I do my workouts. Especially if Amanda is working late. If she is home early she will push me out the door so we can enjoy some down time together and i will be done for bedtime routine. Weekends are tougher. She often asks me my training plan, but btn if not I will ask when is it best to get a 12 mile run in.
2020-01-27 8:18 PM
in reply to: #5266392

User image

Out of town for a course. Wont be training much this week, and my diet will suck. Just going to roll with it
2020-01-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I was writing an Inspire to a friend and when I was done I thought, "Wow, I should send this as an Inspire to all the Manatees."  So here is an INSPIRE for each of you:

You know that old shtick about "you are only as young as you feel"?  Well, I believe the same thing holds true for overcoming "gymtimidation".  Take pride in the fact that you are there, focus on how great you feel when you are done, and forget about the rest of the people there.  You are doing this for YOU, not them.

2020-01-28 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I am not a Strava participant.  Back in 2012 I trained using a Timex HR monitor, can't even remember the name of it.  Don't know if I could find it among all the stuff that is packed away in the attic either.  Just learned my brother Jack (LeatherneckTN) has an Apple watch.  Don't know if I'll even go that far this season.  Like I said, this season is all about restoring my aerobic base, completing one sprint race, and completing one 62 mile ride in August.  So time, laps, and distance are sufficient metrics for me, for now.  With that said, today was my long bike, but also a recovery week, so only 45 minutes.

From my log:  Bike - 45m - 10.39mi - 13.85mph:  YEAH!! If that's not a PR for pace it has to be close. I've never ridden any course that actually had hills at over 14mph, that I know of. I especially liked that each lap was just a little faster than the one before.  These Expresso bikes are pretty cool. If I remember to log in they save all my ride info; not just time, distance, and pace. It even saves all my lap info for that ride. For instance, the Alpine Splash course that I've been riding this month (and will probably continue riding in February) is only a 2.9 mile course. I rode 3.55 laps and Expresso had full data for all 3+ laps. Sadly, this is the first time I've bothered to log in. My bad!

Weight: 368

2020-01-28 9:40 AM

Does anyone else feel guilty on rest days? I had a rest day yesterday and was antsy the entire day. I didn't work out this morning because of my schedule and doing an easy ride tonight on Zwift, but the rest day anxiety is real. This has been an evolution since I started the triathlon thing about 6 years ago from little to no base in fitness. I used to cherish rest days and now they just make me restless. I can't be alone here.
2020-01-28 9:52 AM
in reply to: rmschwartz418

User image

Expert
Illinois
Hi Manatees! A little bird told me that there would be gravel talk on this forum? Is it too late for me to jump in here? I've been doing a bit of a digital detox this month but January is nearly over.

Anne
2020-01-28 9:56 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Hi Manatees! A little bird told me that there would be gravel talk on this forum? Is it too late for me to jump in here? I've been doing a bit of a digital detox this month but January is nearly over. Anne

Welcome!  We were waiting for you to have Gravel Talk!  You know, trying to be respectful of your digital detox and all that.

Wasn't the DK lottery yesterday? What's the news?

2020-01-28 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by abake Hi Manatees! A little bird told me that there would be gravel talk on this forum? Is it too late for me to jump in here? I've been doing a bit of a digital detox this month but January is nearly over. Anne

Welcome!  We were waiting for you to have Gravel Talk!  You know, trying to be respectful of your digital detox and all that.

I'm so glad you reached out! Look at all this glorious Manatee activity!!! Yes, the DK Lottery was yesterday. I had deferred my 2019 entry so didn't have to sit around biting my nails waiting for the acceptance email but yes! I am in!!! And my friends are in! DH Steve is also in, but he is considering dropping down to the 100. I'm conflicted on that --- I somewhat feel like I should give the 200 a go but on the other hand, the street party and post-race shenanigans are amazing in Emporia. I'll probably decide mid-March which distance.

I have so much catching up to do on the Manatee forum...

2020-01-28 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rmschwartz418 Does anyone else feel guilty on rest days? I had a rest day yesterday and was antsy the entire day. I didn't work out this morning because of my schedule and doing an easy ride tonight on Zwift, but the rest day anxiety is real. This has been an evolution since I started the triathlon thing about 6 years ago from little to no base in fitness. I used to cherish rest days and now they just make me restless. I can't be alone here.

I don't know that I feel guilty about rest days or easier days, but rather that I feel that I won't be properly prepared if I'm not working harder. I know this is not true and rest days and off-loading fatigue is just as important as the hard workdays, but knowing that doesn't necessarily make taking the time any easier!  Of course for the last few months I've been slacking on everything so maybe I've gotten over the angst

2020-01-28 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I am not a Strava participant.  Back in 2012 I trained using a Timex HR monitor, can't even remember the name of it.  Don't know if I could find it among all the stuff that is packed away in the attic either.  Just learned my brother Jack (LeatherneckTN) has an Apple watch.  Don't know if I'll even go that far this season.  Like I said, this season is all about restoring my aerobic base, completing one sprint race, and completing one 62 mile ride in August.  So time, laps, and distance are sufficient metrics for me, for now.  With that said, today was my long bike, but also a recovery week, so only 45 minutes.

From my log:  Bike - 45m - 10.39mi - 13.85mph:  YEAH!! If that's not a PR for pace it has to be close. I've never ridden any course that actually had hills at over 14mph, that I know of. I especially liked that each lap was just a little faster than the one before.  These Expresso bikes are pretty cool. If I remember to log in they save all my ride info; not just time, distance, and pace. It even saves all my lap info for that ride. For instance, the Alpine Splash course that I've been riding this month (and will probably continue riding in February) is only a 2.9 mile course. I rode 3.55 laps and Expresso had full data for all 3+ laps. Sadly, this is the first time I've bothered to log in. My bad!

Weight: 368

Well done!

2020-01-28 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by rmschwartz418

Does anyone else feel guilty on rest days? I had a rest day yesterday and was antsy the entire day. I didn't work out this morning because of my schedule and doing an easy ride tonight on Zwift, but the rest day anxiety is real. This has been an evolution since I started the triathlon thing about 6 years ago from little to no base in fitness. I used to cherish rest days and now they just make me restless. I can't be alone here.

I know that when I participated in triathlons, I would get anxious on rest days. It seemed like I was forever juggling workouts and trying to make it all fit in, and the fear that I would miss or forget a workout carried over into rest days. So yes, rest day angst is a very real thing.
2020-01-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella Retention is an interesting subject. As this is my fifth mentor group. .....

Manatees is my fourth BT mentor group in five years.   I joined my first mentor group when I was training for my first Triathlon.  It was a lifesaver in getting me through my first race.  Lots of the groups seem to go strong in the first 6 weeks then slowly taper off to where there is only one post a week with questions going 2-3 days with no answers.  I don't know why there is a tendency for many of these groups to die.  I like actives groups. 

This group has been great.  I love that there is a GoJo challenge.  Many groups have a clear start at the beginning of the year, but the ending of the group is not defined and some mentors will simply stop posting in March while the Mentees will be getting ready for their first race in April/May and will be looking for someone to answer their questions and feel abandoned.  The GoJo make goals and time frame clear. 

Most groups the mentors feel that they have learned a ton about the sport and are ready to pass on what they have learned to others and sit back and wait for questions.  There is no responsibility on the part of the Mentees and if there aren't any questions there is no responsibility on the part of the mentor either.  This group has been very different.  Janyne has required everyone to keep their training calendar up to date. She hasn't sat back and made a post asking everyone if they are keeping up with their calendars, but has been actively checking them, commenting on workouts, putting posts up on how to use the BT tools and improve our training logs, etc.   Real mentoring is happening and it is great. 

This group also extends past BT with the super-secret Strava group, Facebook, Sufferfest, etc. which is great. This group's mentor is much more complete than the groups that taper off.  So...all around this has been a very positive start for me.  I love being a Manatee.  I still am not sure what these Racing Manatee posts are, but I will go with the flow.  My wife is an Animal Lover and she was so impressed to see me checking out a website about Manatees (the Strava Group) last night instead of analyzing Triathlon data.  :-)

2020-01-28 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

I'm so glad you reached out! Look at all this glorious Manatee activity!!! Yes, the DK Lottery was yesterday. I had deferred my 2019 entry so didn't have to sit around biting my nails waiting for the acceptance email but yes! I am in!!! And my friends are in! DH Steve is also in, but he is considering dropping down to the 100. I'm conflicted on that --- I somewhat feel like I should give the 200 a go but on the other hand, the street party and post-race shenanigans are amazing in Emporia. I'll probably decide mid-March which distance. I have so much catching up to do on the Manatee forum...

I'm glad to hear that the whole crew got in!

2020-01-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by JBacarella Retention is an interesting subject. As this is my fifth mentor group. .....

Manatees is my fourth BT mentor group in five years.   I joined my first mentor group when I was training for my first Triathlon.  It was a lifesaver in getting me through my first race.  Lots of the groups seem to go strong in the first 6 weeks then slowly taper off to where there is only one post a week with questions going 2-3 days with no answers.  I don't know why there is a tendency for many of these groups to die.  I like actives groups. 

This group has been great.  I love that there is a GoJo challenge.  Many groups have a clear start at the beginning of the year, but the ending of the group is not defined and some mentors will simply stop posting in March while the Mentees will be getting ready for their first race in April/May and will be looking for someone to answer their questions and feel abandoned.  The GoJo make goals and time frame clear. 

Most groups the mentors feel that they have learned a ton about the sport and are ready to pass on what they have learned to others and sit back and wait for questions.  There is no responsibility on the part of the Mentees and if there aren't any questions there is no responsibility on the part of the mentor either.  This group has been very different.  Janyne has required everyone to keep their training calendar up to date. She hasn't sat back and made a post asking everyone if they are keeping up with their calendars, but has been actively checking them, commenting on workouts, putting posts up on how to use the BT tools and improve our training logs, etc.   Real mentoring is happening and it is great. 

This group also extends past BT with the super-secret Strava group, Facebook, Sufferfest, etc. which is great. This group's mentor is much more complete than the groups that taper off.  So...all around this has been a very positive start for me.  I love being a Manatee.  I still am not sure what these Racing Manatee posts are, but I will go with the flow.  My wife is an Animal Lover and she was so impressed to see me checking out a website about Manatees (the Strava Group) last night instead of analyzing Triathlon data.  :-)

Bahahahahaha.  And this is why it is the SUPER SECRET ORDER OF THE MANATEES. Now, monies spent on triathlon can be claimed as saving the manatees.  Win-win! 

2020-01-28 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake
Originally posted by rmschwartz418 Does anyone else feel guilty on rest days? I had a rest day yesterday and was antsy the entire day. I didn't work out this morning because of my schedule and doing an easy ride tonight on Zwift, but the rest day anxiety is real. This has been an evolution since I started the triathlon thing about 6 years ago from little to no base in fitness. I used to cherish rest days and now they just make me restless. I can't be alone here.
I know that when I participated in triathlons, I would get anxious on rest days. It seemed like I was forever juggling workouts and trying to make it all fit in, and the fear that I would miss or forget a workout carried over into rest days. So yes, rest day angst is a very real thing.

Yeah, I've already told Kevin that we need to talk about the calendar for the next little bit. For me, it gets easier when he adds after work mtb rides but February to mid-March is a bit of a rough patch.

2020-01-28 11:21 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

January 25-26
Robin - Asheville Hot Chocolate 5k

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

I applied to be a Pacer for the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K three months ago and was put on the alternate list.  I got a call back on Friday letting me know that they had a spot open up, so I will be the 8:00 Min pace on February 8th at a Hot Chocolate 15K in Dallas.  My pacer profile is HERE 

I will also be pacing my brother, David, for 20 miles of the Out Law 135 mile trail run at Robbers Cave State Park In Wilburton, OK on February 15th.  He is an Attorney in Wilburton, OK so I think it is ironic that a Lawyer is running the Out Law race. I have never done any trail running so that will be new grounds for me.  So...not races for me, but I will be helping others at their races in the next few weeks. 

My first race will possibly be the Pre-season 5K race on March 7th for the McAlester Youth Running Club that I started this year (23 people on the team roster). We will be taking the Youth Club to team races about every week from the beginning of April to the first week of May so I don't have any Triathlons planned until June.  Then I will get an Olympic race in June and Olympic race in July then offer a Youth Triathlon Camp leading up to a Kids Triathlon the end of August.  The last race will be a 70.3 in Late September. 

2020-01-28 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Welcome back Anne. Congrats on DK. Funnily enough, I am listening to a BikeRumor podcast on "The Future of Gravel Racing" and DK is  represented with a panelist. It seems to be the premier event in that realm and I would love to hear your take on it when you are done. If I get a vote, I would do the 100 and the after party. But that tells you more about me than anything else. The reason I have moved off road in most of my riding is the inclusion, fun, and all of the ancillary pieces that go into it. And the beer, which seems to be a good piece of it as well!

2020-01-28 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 25-26

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

I applied to be a Pacer for the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15K three months ago and was put on the alternate list.  I got a call back on Friday letting me know that they had a spot open up, so I will be the 8:00 Min pace on February 8th at a Hot Chocolate 15K in Dallas.  My pacer profile is HERE 

I will also be pacing my brother, David, for 20 miles of the Out Law 135 mile trail run at Robbers Cave State Park In Wilburton, OK on February 15th.  He is an Attorney in Wilburton, OK so I think it is ironic that a Lawyer is running the Out Law race. I have never done any trail running so that will be new grounds for me.  So...not races for me, but I will be helping others at their races in the next few weeks. 

My first race will possibly be the Pre-season 5K race on March 7th for the McAlester Youth Running Club that I started this year (23 people on the team roster). We will be taking the Youth Club to team races about every week from the beginning of April to the first week of May so I don't have any Triathlons planned until June.  Then I will get an Olympic race in June and Olympic race in July then offer a Youth Triathlon Camp leading up to a Kids Triathlon the end of August.  The last race will be a 70.3 in Late September. 

Busy busy!

The Racing Manatees is a weekly (we try for weekly!) list of upcoming Manatee races and events.

2020-01-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Welcome back Anne. Congrats on DK. Funnily enough, I am listening to a BikeRumor podcast on "The Future of Gravel Racing" and DK is  represented with a panelist. It seems to be the premier event in that realm and I would love to hear your take on it when you are done. If I get a vote, I would do the 100 and the after party. But that tells you more about me than anything else. The reason I have moved off road in most of my riding is the inclusion, fun, and all of the ancillary pieces that go into it. And the beer, which seems to be a good piece of it as well!

Anne is no DK first timer! I don't think that we have to wait for her take on it ;-)

Chris, what gravel rides are you looking at? Is there any truth to the rumor that a gravel bike may be moving in with you?

2020-01-28 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Anne is no DK first timer! I don't think that we have to wait for her take on it ;-)

Chris, what gravel rides are you looking at? Is there any truth to the rumor that a gravel bike may be moving in with you?

I have a "new to me" Giant TCX in the back of the truck as we speak. It has been in my possession for a couple of weeks now. The geometry on it is more CX than gravel, however, it works for the time being. I added a Cane Creek ThudBuster LT seat post, which I loved last night while rolling through a section of trail that had been abused by pigs. 

Anne,  I thought that you had done DK in the past, but I wasn't sure.  What bike are you riding at the moment? I know Hands is looking at something from Cervelo, and my wish list includes a Jamis Renegade or possibly something from Framed or Ocoee.  Anything you have to add would be appreciated. 

2020-01-28 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

January 25-26

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing?

Curtis, I hope you have a blast. When I was running, trails were my favorite. 

2020-01-28 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've got a Cx bike that I can use, at least for now. With the amount of gravel in the area (very little), I'm not sure that a Diverge or Aspero is in my future.

I am looking at the Loudoun 1725 in June though. I told Kevin that there would be wine. I hope that's not a lie!  Anyway, planning is in the early stages so it's not for sure yet.

I have a "new to me" Giant TCX in the back of the truck as we speak. It has been in my possession for a couple of weeks now. The geometry on it is more CX than gravel, however, it works for the time being. I added a Cane Creek ThudBuster LT seat post, which I loved last night while rolling through a section of trail that had been abused by pigs. 

Anne,  I thought that you had done DK in the past, but I wasn't sure.  What bike are you riding at the moment? I know Hands is looking at something from Cervelo, and my wish list includes a Jamis Renegade or possibly something from Framed or Ocoee.  Anything you have to add would be appreciated. 

Ack! I had a response but it was eaten! Let's try again.

I have a Cx bike that I can use for gravel for now.  With the amount of gravel in the area (very little, just Umstead park), I don't necessarily see a Diverge or Aspero in my future.

I'm looking at the Loudoun 1725 ride in June, It's early days.  I told Kevin that there will be wine (I hope that's not a lie!).

Edited by jmkizer 2020-01-28 12:40 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127