2015-01-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by brigby1 I ride less than 225 between intervals as well. 
w/kg ? :-)

An unnecessary complication.

Maybe instead of our names in our sig lines we could just put our current FTP?

%FTP would have been the best. Arend & Jason could use their actual power in responding as I believe FTPs between the three of them are similar enough for that topic.

ETA: Of course James could just keep adding more 8' intervals until he's doing 30+ of them. Good practice for the IM bike split.

Edited by brigby1 2015-01-29 8:48 AM

2015-01-29 8:56 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by ChrisM

All's I know with these numbers getting thrown around here and on FB is I'm gonna get crushed at Alcatraz   

Fred is switching to team Canada and part of our strategy is shock and awe...  

Who's Fred?

2015-01-29 9:00 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ha-ha - right!

When I build out my workouts on the Kickr I usually just stick 60% in as the recovery effort. Sometimes I will ramp or step it from 45% to 60% if it is coming off a really, really hard effort. I am about to jump on the KK R&R for a little recovery spin before a light strength workout and the way I am feeling I am liking what Jason wrote re: recovering under 100w. Except I may be doing it for a lot longer than 30 seconds!

2015-01-29 9:13 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I was <100w many times this morning.

2015-01-29 10:19 AM

User image

I didn't know you were allowed to go under 100 w on this thread. Eye opening......
2015-01-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Well, stupid is as stupid does. After Tuesdays successful treadmill run, got back on the mill last night. Had 35 minutes as an aqua jog but worked too late to get to the pool and honestly was feeling great. Run also felt great. For 20 minutes. Spent the rest run/walking as tightness increased (rather than doing Something sensible like, I dunno, stopping?) Back to sore today

signed up for a super bowl Sunday half mary but since I can't currently put together more than 20 minutes looking like that's a no go. Which was supposed to be my return to training for the mary March 14. With 6 weeks to go, and missing probably another week, that race also looking like I an eating the fees

Struggling a bit, not only do I not handle injuries well from a psychological standpoint, add in a few DNS and it starts to get really ugly. Really makes me not want to sign up for another IM. I put so much pressure on myself and worry about injuries that it just starts getting too stressful. Anyway, that's my thursday whine

2015-01-29 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, stupid is as stupid does. After Tuesdays successful treadmill run, got back on the mill last night. Had 35 minutes as an aqua jog but worked too late to get to the pool and honestly was feeling great. Run also felt great. For 20 minutes. Spent the rest run/walking as tightness increased (rather than doing Something sensible like, I dunno, stopping?) Back to sore today

signed up for a super bowl Sunday half mary but since I can't currently put together more than 20 minutes looking like that's a no go. Which was supposed to be my return to training for the mary March 14. With 6 weeks to go, and missing probably another week, that race also looking like I an eating the fees

Struggling a bit, not only do I not handle injuries well from a psychological standpoint, add in a few DNS and it starts to get really ugly. Really makes me not want to sign up for another IM. I put so much pressure on myself and worry about injuries that it just starts getting too stressful. Anyway, that's my thursday whine

Chris, where in the back is it ?
2015-01-29 1:10 PM

User image

Pro

A little giddy. Found out I'm not attending Annual Training with my unit - so my "plan B" marathon for my sub-4 attempt - Rock 'n' Roll San Diego - is the only back-up plan I need (instead of plans C-E. Seriously). Aside from the huge hill at mile 21 - it looks like a good course!

Plan A is still Mountains 2 Beach the week before, but my parents are tentatively planning a national parks trip that'd have them within a 6 hour driving radius that weekend, so that'd take priority. 

Just felt the need to share my excitement.

ETA: this opens up 3 more possible weekends of racing with some downhill courses... http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/events-activities/steamboat-marathon-race-info and http://www.utahvalleymarathon.com/utah-valley-marathon-map.php but those are both at higher elevations... I'm going to keep poking around.

Edited by ratherbeswimming 2015-01-29 1:31 PM
2015-01-29 1:12 PM

User image

I started doing my intervals on a hills this year instead of a long flat road.  I'm really liking the fact that most of the recovery is at 0 watts as I descend back down.    Of course it does actually help to spin the legs a little before and after descending though.

2015-01-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Chris, where in the back is it ?

The acute pain is right in the center both horizontally and vertically but tightness extends down towards the knee a little

No issues walking or climbing stairs or doing one legged squats (sorta), but it's that last little bit of extension during the run stride that ultimately gets it.

2015-01-29 1:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ChrisM Well, stupid is as stupid does. After Tuesdays successful treadmill run, got back on the mill last night. Had 35 minutes as an aqua jog but worked too late to get to the pool and honestly was feeling great. Run also felt great. For 20 minutes. Spent the rest run/walking as tightness increased (rather than doing Something sensible like, I dunno, stopping?) Back to sore today

I definitely wouldn't do the half. 

Shake off the DNS. You are making a good decision. 

I'd use the time to attack the psychological weakness. Setbacks, DNS, DNF , injuries etc. are all part of the sport and a part we could all learn to handle a little better than we probably do. 

Trust me. I had a rough year last year that I feel set me waaay back from some of my running goals but learning how to roll with the punches (heh) and put my efforts into the things I can control  has really made me a better athlete. And a better person. 

Maybe think of some things you can do and throw yourself into them. Then see how things progress. Then make a decision on a future IM. 

2015-01-29 1:44 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

All that being said after my marathon in Dec I took the rest of the month to recover a bit and then all of Jan to explore some other stuff. I summited a few mountains and did some rock climbing etc. The goal was to work on a more functional strength and overall uphill travel ability since the next 6 mo or so is going to be all strength running focused (trail racing, mountain running etc.)

Before, I was trying to work on my speed and mountaineer and they were NOT playing nice together. I'd show up at the mountain tired and unable to even enjoy the view and I'd show up at the track unable to compete because my legs were shot.

Anyway, my plan this time was to continue to develop that strength then slowly add the speed back in.

I have been coming to track workouts but just doing portions of the workout and then yesterday I did the whole thing and it worked! I had summited a mountain over the weekend but my legs felt great. Now I am going to take February to slowly get to two quality workouts a week (with the mountaineering stuff., too) and see where I am at in March with a half Mary. 

2015-01-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: ratherbeswimming

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ratherbeswimming

A little giddy. Found out I'm not attending Annual Training with my unit - so my "plan B" marathon for my sub-4 attempt - Rock 'n' Roll San Diego - is the only back-up plan I need (instead of plans C-E. Seriously). Aside from the huge hill at mile 21 - it looks like a good course!

Plan A is still Mountains 2 Beach the week before, but my parents are tentatively planning a national parks trip that'd have them within a 6 hour driving radius that weekend, so that'd take priority. 

Just felt the need to share my excitement.

ETA: this opens up 3 more possible weekends of racing with some downhill courses... http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/events-activities/steamboat-marathon-race-info and http://www.utahvalleymarathon.com/utah-valley-marathon-map.php but those are both at higher elevations... I'm going to keep poking around.

Is there an option to go on the national parks trip

Awesome though, it sounds like you have plenty of good options.  

You probably already know this but be sure to work on your downhill running in your plan. 

2015-01-29 2:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by ChrisM Well, stupid is as stupid does. After Tuesdays successful treadmill run, got back on the mill last night. Had 35 minutes as an aqua jog but worked too late to get to the pool and honestly was feeling great. Run also felt great. For 20 minutes. Spent the rest run/walking as tightness increased (rather than doing Something sensible like, I dunno, stopping?) Back to sore today

I'd use the time to attack the psychological weakness. Setbacks, DNS, DNF , injuries etc. are all part of the sport and a part we could all learn to handle a little better than we probably do. 

Trust me. I had a rough year last year that I feel set me waaay back from some of my running goals but learning how to roll with the punches (heh) and put my efforts into the things I can control  has really made me a better athlete. And a better person. 

Maybe think of some things you can do and throw yourself into them. Then see how things progress. Then make a decision on a future IM. 

Thanks.

It's all about.... and has always been about for me... balance.   I used to scuba dive a lot, at least once or twice a week, then started swimming to get in shape for diving (I was 275#....) and then started doing tris, and guess what I stopped doing???

Ultimately, if this is the thing I am worried about today, things can't be all that bad, can they....Especially with your sobering story of last year.  

On the good news front (after all, we should have good news more than bad...) is I somehow got motivated this week to re-focus on nutrition and to stop making silly choices based on immediate desire that did not further my goals.  Well, mostly.  There is still red wine.   I am lucky in that once I start focusing seriously i usually start getting results.  Monday weighed in at 205, this morning weighed in at 201.  I know that can be a typical week fluctuation, but the sensation of hunger at night tells me it's a sign of something more permanent than that.  

My belief is that the best thing I can do for my running, long term, even more than running, is lose excess weight.   So even though I can't actually run on the ground, I can still contribute to the cause in other ways.

2015-01-29 2:32 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks.

It's all about.... and has always been about for me... balance.   I used to scuba dive a lot, at least once or twice a week, then started swimming to get in shape for diving (I was 275#....) and then started doing tris, and guess what I stopped doing???

Ultimately, if this is the thing I am worried about today, things can't be all that bad, can they....Especially with your sobering story of last year.  

On the good news front (after all, we should have good news more than bad...) is I somehow got motivated this week to re-focus on nutrition and to stop making silly choices based on immediate desire that did not further my goals.  Well, mostly.  There is still red wine.   I am lucky in that once I start focusing seriously i usually start getting results.  Monday weighed in at 205, this morning weighed in at 201.  I know that can be a typical week fluctuation, but the sensation of hunger at night tells me it's a sign of something more permanent than that.  

My belief is that the best thing I can do for my running, long term, even more than running, is lose excess weight.   So even though I can't actually run on the ground, I can still contribute to the cause in other ways.

Absolutely. I think diet is a perfect place to focus your energy. And I am sure you know what I mean by "diet" but just to clarify, eating well, establishing a sustainable routine, understanding  etc, not actually dieting. And not only is this going to directly impact your running, but nearly every other area of your life. 

So, be excited about it! And if I could give you a tip about this, try to keep food in a positive light and see it as the source of your energy and something you enjoy, not something you are withholding from yourself. 

And I hope this doesn't come across as preachy. I've just been there. And it's hard.

2015-01-29 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM I didn't know you were allowed to go under 100 w on this thread. Eye opening......

I was less than 100W a bunch this morning....pretty sure I didn't even see 200W either.  Am I going to get kicked out of SBRU?

2015-01-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hey in Golden Cheetah is the CP number your FTP?

Chris I am seeing some sort of pattern with you getting injured. Are you warmup, cool down and stretching? I know you are pretty active outside SBR but something is not right.
2015-01-29 4:14 PM

User image

Pro

Thanks.

Absolutely. I think diet is a perfect place to focus your energy. And I am sure you know what I mean by "diet" but just to clarify, eating well, establishing a sustainable routine, understanding  etc, not actually dieting. And not only is this going to directly impact your running, but nearly every other area of your life. 

So, be excited about it! And if I could give you a tip about this, try to keep food in a positive light and see it as the source of your energy and something you enjoy, not something you are withholding from yourself. 

And I hope this doesn't come across as preachy. I've just been there. And it's hard.

I've been doing the Whole 30 challenge and dropped like 5-10lbs this month. http://whole30.com/

Not super easy, but never having to be hungry, learning about what's in your food, and developing healthy habits have made it totally worthwile

2015-01-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by ChrisM I didn't know you were allowed to go under 100 w on this thread. Eye opening......

I was less than 100W a bunch this morning....pretty sure I didn't even see 200W either.  Am I going to get kicked out of SBRU?

Not to worry Nicole, I'm here to carry the lowest FTP in the group, so I'll be the first to get the boot. My recovery targets are so low they barely register. BTW, I think you're also doing the ToS. Pretty sure I'm not going to survive Stage 8. 

2015-01-29 5:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri Hey in Golden Cheetah is the CP number your FTP? Chris I am seeing some sort of pattern with you getting injured. Are you warmup, cool down and stretching? I know you are pretty active outside SBR but something is not right.

Not good at any of those, except warm down.

It's usually ramping up running, as it happens every off season, when I try to do that.  But it's not over use as far as I know, as I follow the plan given to me.   Lately the 2 or 3 I've had have had specific identifiable causes.

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-29 5:36 PM
2015-01-29 5:36 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BrotherTri

Hey in Golden Cheetah is the CP number your FTP?

In fact your FTP is a few watts higher than your CP.

2015-01-29 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by BrotherTri Hey in Golden Cheetah is the CP number your FTP? Chris I am seeing some sort of pattern with you getting injured. Are you warmup, cool down and stretching? I know you are pretty active outside SBR but something is not right.

Not good at any of those, except warm down.

It's usually ramping up running, as it happens every off season, when I try to do that.  But it's not over use as far as I know, as I follow the plan given to me.   Lately the 2 or 3 I've had have had specific identifiable causes.

Have they zero'd in on the cuplrit, muscle or other ?
2015-01-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: kcarroll

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If they kick you guys out they'd probably have to kick me out too. Let's put it this way, if I'm "supposed to" be "recovering" at 60% FTP I'd barely be breaking 100 watts. If I'm seeing 200 watts, I'm probably seeing puke on the floor (or perhaps hallucinating). Maybe we should be talking watts/kg. Pretty sure some of us lightweight women could bust some big-dude butt on an alpine climb.
2015-01-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Hot Runner If they kick you guys out they'd probably have to kick me out too. Let's put it this way, if I'm "supposed to" be "recovering" at 60% FTP I'd barely be breaking 100 watts. If I'm seeing 200 watts, I'm probably seeing puke on the floor (or perhaps hallucinating). Maybe we should be talking watts/kg. Pretty sure some of us lightweight women could bust some big-dude butt on an alpine climb.

For sure, I don't think I would get along well with  mountain.  

2015-01-29 6:20 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Hot Runner If they kick you guys out they'd probably have to kick me out too. Let's put it this way, if I'm "supposed to" be "recovering" at 60% FTP I'd barely be breaking 100 watts. If I'm seeing 200 watts, I'm probably seeing puke on the floor (or perhaps hallucinating). Maybe we should be talking watts/kg. Pretty sure some of us lightweight women could bust some big-dude butt on an alpine climb.

For sure, I don't think I would get along well with  mountain.  

I dunno, this could be fun. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).