BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-25 9:18 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
For many years (before I got a coach) I just used a normal Timex Ironman watch (no GPS function; about $25-30 at Walmart or similar) and the free logs on BT. It's fine for record-keeping purposes, sharing with Manatees, and generating cool graphs. You do have to input the time/distance manually from less fancy watches, though.

My coach requires her athletes to use Training Peaks; there's an annual (or monthly) fee for that. Some coaches include it in their coaching fee; many don't. TP to me really is valuable for the interface with my coach. There are some extra bells and whistles with it (it calculates training stress, fatigue, and form) but it takes time to learn to use those and other tools. I think for beginners, the BT logs are totally adequate. Likewise, how much data you want/need beyond basic time and distance is up to you. I still use a basic Timex for most of my swims and runs (using GPS right now for the latter as I'm taking part in a club contest and have to "verify" my run distance). I really only use the fancy stuff for biking.

2019-01-25 9:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

For many years (before I got a coach) I just used a normal Timex Ironman watch (no GPS function; about $25-30 at Walmart or similar) and the free logs on BT. It's fine for record-keeping purposes, sharing with Manatees, and generating cool graphs. You do have to input the time/distance manually from less fancy watches, though.

My coach requires her athletes to use Training Peaks; there's an annual (or monthly) fee for that. Some coaches include it in their coaching fee; many don't. TP to me really is valuable for the interface with my coach. There are some extra bells and whistles with it (it calculates training stress, fatigue, and form) but it takes time to learn to use those and other tools. I think for beginners, the BT logs are totally adequate. Likewise, how much data you want/need beyond basic time and distance is up to you. I still use a basic Timex for most of my swims and runs (using GPS right now for the latter as I'm taking part in a club contest and have to "verify" my run distance). I really only use the fancy stuff for biking.

Just to jump on the bandwagon - you don't need to pay anything to log your workouts here on BT. You can just enter them manually and you can be as precise or as crude with that as you want. For instance, for a treadmill run, you can use the app and just enter a run with the time and distance. Takes just a few seconds.

If you haven't downloaded the BT app, it's worth it to be able to log your workouts quickly while still standing on the treadmill.

Like others have said, many watches will allow you to sync automatically and for free. I use a cheap Suunto Ambit and love it. It syncs for free to Suunto then on to Strava and BT and even Garmin, all free.

No need to pay anything to log your workouts.
2019-01-25 12:51 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by awm007
Originally posted by Hot Runner For many years (before I got a coach) I just used a normal Timex Ironman watch (no GPS function; about $25-30 at Walmart or similar) and the free logs on BT. It's fine for record-keeping purposes, sharing with Manatees, and generating cool graphs. You do have to input the time/distance manually from less fancy watches, though. My coach requires her athletes to use Training Peaks; there's an annual (or monthly) fee for that. Some coaches include it in their coaching fee; many don't. TP to me really is valuable for the interface with my coach. There are some extra bells and whistles with it (it calculates training stress, fatigue, and form) but it takes time to learn to use those and other tools. I think for beginners, the BT logs are totally adequate. Likewise, how much data you want/need beyond basic time and distance is up to you. I still use a basic Timex for most of my swims and runs (using GPS right now for the latter as I'm taking part in a club contest and have to "verify" my run distance). I really only use the fancy stuff for biking.
Just to jump on the bandwagon - you don't need to pay anything to log your workouts here on BT. You can just enter them manually and you can be as precise or as crude with that as you want. For instance, for a treadmill run, you can use the app and just enter a run with the time and distance. Takes just a few seconds. If you haven't downloaded the BT app, it's worth it to be able to log your workouts quickly while still standing on the treadmill. Like others have said, many watches will allow you to sync automatically and for free. I use a cheap Suunto Ambit and love it. It syncs for free to Suunto then on to Strava and BT and even Garmin, all free. No need to pay anything to log your workouts.

I know several of us on here have been on here for a long time and it's great just to use as a journal as well, you can see what training was going on but log other things like your thoughts, sleep etc. I have more than 10 years on here. And it is great because i can check to see what i actually did during a particular training cycle ... or even i've noticed that i often do get at least one sickness  in January. It just happens. But marking being sick comes up as a big red square on the calendar. Anyway, it's pretty cool, actually to be able to go back.

2019-01-25 12:53 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Also, happy Friday everyone!! 

Remember how i said a couple of weeks ago that we had no snow. Well we do now. And ice. Some flurries are blowing by making me feel like staying in my pajamas until spring!  Why did i sign up for a winter half marathon???

I was procrastinating on running all this week and I finally HTFU and didn't really follow my plan but got SOMETHING done.  

2019-01-25 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone has had a great week! I see that most Manatees have been keeping the Challenge Spreadsheet up-to-date.

Sadly, I know of no Racing Manatees this weekend.

Is anyone racing?

2019-01-25 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Remember how i said a couple of weeks ago that we had no snow. Well we do now. And ice. Some flurries are blowing by making me feel like staying in my pajamas until spring!  Why did i sign up for a winter half marathon???

I was procrastinating on running all this week and I finally HTFU and didn't really follow my plan but got SOMETHING done.  

Sometimes it's hard to suck it up and get the training in. I'm glad that you got a run in, even if it wasn't the venue that you wanted.

I'd say that treadmills are safer that icy roads but sometimes I feel like this when I'm on it

No like this

2019-01-25 1:31 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by juniperjen

Sometimes it's hard to suck it up and get the training in. I'm glad that you got a run in, even if it wasn't the venue that you wanted.

I'd say that treadmills are safer that icy roads but sometimes I feel like this when I'm on it

No like this

You can never have too much OK Go. 

Just when you get on a roll 
Here it goes, here it goes, here it goes again

2019-01-25 7:30 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I am so glad it hasn't come to needing the treadmill yet this winter! Not sure if this is a problem for anyone else, but I get horrid vertigo on those things. I'm completely unable to focus (visually) on any form of visual entertainment while running on the mill--I can only stare at a fixed point on the horizon. It's like my brain just freaks out at stuff moving on a screen while I'm going up and down but headed nowhere. So I'm stuck with staring into space, listening to music, and gripping the sides occasionally when I get dizzy anyway. The gym I'm in now has a 10-lap-to-the-mile track; that would probably be my first choice for truly extreme weather. So far I have only run there once for about 2 1/2 miles (a really cold day when I had a brick run and then strength--it just made sense to put on dry clothes after biking and do the run and lifting at the gym).

My race decisions are even sillier than a winter HM--I've entered a HIM on the other side of the world where it's currently "summer" (kinda sorta--South Island of New Zealand in February, so something like a cool summer day in Calgary, most likely)! Right now this means long, sweaty indoor trainer rides and then heading out into 20-30 degree weather (usually) for brick runs. Doable, but really not wonderful. It's a bucket list thing (doing it this year because I had to pull out last year after my dad passed away)--doubt I'd elect to start my tri season quite so early in the future!
2019-01-26 5:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I am so glad it hasn't come to needing the treadmill yet this winter! Not sure if this is a problem for anyone else, but I get horrid vertigo on those things. I'm completely unable to focus (visually) on any form of visual entertainment while running on the mill--I can only stare at a fixed point on the horizon. It's like my brain just freaks out at stuff moving on a screen while I'm going up and down but headed nowhere. So I'm stuck with staring into space, listening to music, and gripping the sides occasionally when I get dizzy anyway. The gym I'm in now has a 10-lap-to-the-mile track; that would probably be my first choice for truly extreme weather. So far I have only run there once for about 2 1/2 miles (a really cold day when I had a brick run and then strength--it just made sense to put on dry clothes after biking and do the run and lifting at the gym).

I get somewhat dizzy on a treadmill also. Not sure what the deal is, but like you, I can't watch TV/movie, etc. on a treadmill.

Edited by abake 2019-01-26 5:24 AM
2019-01-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
A tropical -13F when I got up this morning, plus 8 in of snow on top of ice this week. The dreadmill and the drainer (aka pretend bike riding with my pretend friends) are my training partners until April or May, depending on the Spring. Our road is outright treacherous. The UPS guy refuses to drive down it.
I've never had an issue running on it, unless I have nothing to watch or get engrossed in a movie and miss the tread.
2019-01-26 8:17 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes! I have been very lucky that conditions here have been pretty mild most of the winter. (Apparently two years ago there was a lot of snow and ice on the ground for almost three months.) Really there haven't been too many days when outdoor biking would be unsafe, and I do see people going at it, but my hands and feet freeze when it's much below 50. (Yes, I know, winter gloves and toe covers and all that, but they still freeze.) Winters also tend to be quite windy (actually it's windy pretty much year-round, with a stiff breeze coming off one mountain range or another much of the time, but cold wind is worse), so the trainer starts looking really good.

I don't seem to have the same vertigo issues with the trainer--I think it's the combo of slight up/down motion when running and trying to focus on a screen that sets it off. My trainer "friends" are usually a bunch of happy German cyclists on a Youtube channel called "HD Cycling". They post scenic rides from all over Europe. You even get to see some of the beer breaks! Or "Bike the World" videos with my own music.

2019-01-27 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
A little treadmill update. I did run off of the treadmill and had to catch myself on the supports to keep from having a major wipe out. I was following normal routing watching a movie and running, when I looked out the window and saw an 8 pt buck in my neighbor's yard. The next thing I knew I ran into the front of the machine, stepped on the motor housing and started to fall. Fortunately I caught the hand bars and held myself up before I fell.
It's normal to see deer here, they are like over sized squirrels. It is unusual to see a mature buck during the day. The major storm we are supposed to get tonight has them feeding during the day.
2019-01-27 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella A tropical -13F when I got up this morning, plus 8 in of snow on top of ice this week. The dreadmill and the drainer (aka pretend bike riding with my pretend friends) are my training partners until April or May, depending on the Spring. Our road is outright treacherous. The UPS guy refuses to drive down it. I've never had an issue running on it, unless I have nothing to watch or get engrossed in a movie and miss the tread.

Yup, that about sums up much of the indoor season! 

2019-01-27 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella A tropical -13F when I got up this morning, plus 8 in of snow on top of ice this week. The dreadmill and the drainer (aka pretend bike riding with my pretend friends) are my training partners until April or May, depending on the Spring. Our road is outright treacherous. The UPS guy refuses to drive down it. I've never had an issue running on it, unless I have nothing to watch or get engrossed in a movie and miss the tread.

yikes! I can’t even really comprehend those conditions!  We’re having 50*s with rain today and I am put out by that!

2019-01-27 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella A little treadmill update. I did run off of the treadmill and had to catch myself on the supports to keep from having a major wipe out. I was following normal routing watching a movie and running, when I looked out the window and saw an 8 pt buck in my neighbor's yard. The next thing I knew I ran into the front of the machine, stepped on the motor housing and started to fall. Fortunately I caught the hand bars and held myself up before I fell. It's normal to see deer here, they are like over sized squirrels. It is unusual to see a mature buck during the day. The major storm we are supposed to get tonight has them feeding during the day.

Sounds like you were inspired by Janyne’s Memes!

2019-01-27 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella A little treadmill update. I did run off of the treadmill and had to catch myself on the supports to keep from having a major wipe out. I was following normal routing watching a movie and running, when I looked out the window and saw an 8 pt buck in my neighbor's yard. The next thing I knew I ran into the front of the machine, stepped on the motor housing and started to fall. Fortunately I caught the hand bars and held myself up before I fell. It's normal to see deer here, they are like over sized squirrels. It is unusual to see a mature buck during the day. The major storm we are supposed to get tonight has them feeding during the day.

I'm glad that you are OK! No indoor training injuries allowed!

2019-01-27 9:25 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Da-yum! I am glad you didn't wipe out and hurt something.

2019-01-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

yikes! I can’t even really comprehend those conditions!  We’re having 50*s with rain today and I am put out by that!

My Mom lives in Venice area. She used the word "frigid" describing those temps

2019-01-27 9:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
A true Idahoan probably would have picked up his rifle (conveniently placed by the treadmill) and shot the buck through the window without breaking stride.....Then again, a true Idaho man would more likely be running outside in shorts (maybe with the rifle "just in case") in -13 degree weather. We have seen shorts on guys down to 8 degrees F. And not all of them were running. Weird! Women are, apparently, not expected to conform to this tradition.

(No, I am not a true Idahoan, but an unwilling Oregon transplant!)

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-01-27 9:58 AM
2019-01-27 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner A true Idahoan probably would have picked up his rifle (conveniently placed by the treadmill) and shot the buck through the window without breaking stride.....Then again, a true Idaho man would more likely be running outside in shorts (maybe with the rifle "just in case") in -13 degree weather. We have seen shorts on guys down to 8 degrees F. And not all of them were running. Weird! Women are, apparently, not expected to conform to this tradition. (No, I am not a true Idahoan, but an unwilling Oregon transplant!)

That all made me snort coffee onto the screen.  The NC guy would be in a cammo shirt (sleeveless) and baggy pants with gut hanging out.

2019-01-27 10:57 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by amd723

My Mom lives in Venice area. She used the word "frigid" describing those temps

Bikes, Brats and Beverages was a rainout today due to that frigid and rainy weather. 

2019-01-27 5:19 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
"January thaw" madness here today--sunny with high of 48-50 and all of Boise was out on the Greenbelt and in the parks and roads, running and biking (about 1/3 in shorts). People sitting outside at cafes and coffee shops. I did my long run in a long sleeve tech shirt and tights and that was about right. Sinking feeling though that this probably isn't going to last, if people are calling it a "January thaw"!

OMG Low one day last week in Wanaka was 36. Highs have been bouncing around between about 57 and 75, lows high 30's to mid 50's. Fine for a HM or marathon, but it's a HIM! It is their late summer (equivalent to end of July for us) so not sure if things are trending warmer or cooler now.
2019-01-27 9:29 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Oh man, the weather! Apparently for all of us. We are now in full grip of winter. I felt truly Canadian today in going out for my 12k run in very unplowed roads after a surprise dumping of snow overnight. A good 5" or 8 to 10 cm. Then taking my daughter to outdoor skating lessons and being blown over by blowing snow. Plus, we later went to buy skis for our upcoming trip to Tremblant. I guess I am somewhat embracing winter now ...
2019-01-28 8:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Happy Monday - some great news - I adopted an older dachshund yesterday from Tallahassee. This is Ellie Mae, and we were meant to be.
(more pics in my blog!)

2019-01-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Monday - some great news - I adopted an older dachshund yesterday from Tallahassee. This is Ellie Mae, and we were meant to be.
(more pics in my blog!)

Welcome, Ellie Mae!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107