BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 328

2010-04-12 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2771574

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Wooo! Just got my email, I've been confirmed for my preferred seeding for the 2010 OneAmerica 500Festival MiniMarathon (my time at the 7 mile Groundhog race qualified me).

2010-04-12 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

As I was leaving, another doc in the group who did IMFL this year, suggested I get my bike fit checked.  It turns out, the guy he recommended is amazing.  He works directly with a PT when doing the fitting.  Together, they do a full physical analysis and find the best possible position for my body type.  My fitting is next Tuesday.  I can't wait!!!
2010-04-12 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2786605

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-04-12 6:37 PM I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

As I was leaving, another doc in the group who did IMFL this year, suggested I get my bike fit checked.  It turns out, the guy he recommended is amazing.  He works directly with a PT when doing the fitting.  Together, they do a full physical analysis and find the best possible position for my body type.  My fitting is next Tuesday.  I can't wait!!!

Great news! 
2010-04-12 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2786550

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
fattyfatfat - 2010-04-12 4:11 PM

steve.  since those wheels are sitting around collecting dust go ahead and throw them in the mail to texas.  i'll make sure they still work in a few weeks.

Sorry John, I love ya like a brother, but I have seen what you have done to bikes and all I have to say is HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO!
2010-04-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2786526

User image

Elite
san francisco
swbkrun - 2010-04-12 3:55 PM
SSMinnow - 2010-04-12 3:26 PM Birdy---Tell me how to be better....I absolutely cannot fill on the fly.  I stop every time I have to fill that stupid 20 oz Profile bottle...yesterday I drank 60 oz of fluid which means I stopped 2 times and probably lost 2 minutes per time, maybe more.  In a training ride not so bad, in a HIM length race, BAD.....in an IM WORSE!   Maybe  I need balance exercises????

PS. I usually carry 60 oz of water now....front mount, and 2 20 oz bottles on the back.....

The Aerodrink holds (shows on-line) 32 ounces... + 2x20 oz. bottles?  That is 3.8lbs.  This I think will be ok for your Ironman, but I think you can get by without any new purchases?  Check w/ your twin on this.  See what she did for her 1/2.
"If you can drink on the fly, pee on the fly, then you should be able to fill your water bottle on the fly!!!"

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/waterbottles.html

Here is what I used for Boise setup last year.

Suzy, maybe I missed something, but is any of your hydration Infinit or some other electrolyte drink?  Or is it all H20?  Last year, at Vineman, I used the PD Aerodrink that was pictured earlier for my water and then had a 3 hour mix of Infinit on the downtube and another bottle of H20 on the other tube and I actually think it was too much carrying of fluid.  I didn't even take a bottle at the first hand off.

At CA70.3, I decided to forego the PD Aerodrink because I was too lazy to change the mount from my road to my tri bike and I just went with something like Birdy had for Boise.  (and I find I don't like slurping from the straw, too much air in my stomach).  

So for the race, I actually only used one of the rear mounts for my 3 hour Infinit mix and then one disposable 16 oz bottle on the downtube.  It was perfect!  I took water at both handoffs and that way I didn't have to carry extra fluid.  My rationale was what's the use of having a 16lb carbon bike if you are going to carry 3lbs of water!  Not sure if it would be hotter there for Lonestar, but I would think you could just use up the PD aerodrink and then get a new bottle when you finish your downtube one. Then just dispose and get a new one at the handoff.  

Why would it take 2 minutes to fill the thing anyways, you just pop the top with your teeth, then stick the thing in the opening while you roll through the aid station, and squeeze hard!?  Plenty of time and you can still dispose at the last chance garbage area...Hold the bullhorn at the brake with your other hand and just go slow.   You can do it!!!  
2010-04-12 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2786583

User image

Pro
tjtryon - 2010-04-12 4:27 PM Wooo! Just got my email, I've been confirmed for my preferred seeding for the 2010 OneAmerica 500Festival MiniMarathon (my time at the 7 mile Groundhog race qualified me).

Congrats.  You and 34999 of your friends.  I am curious... What makes this race so popular?

2010-04-12 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
And weighing in on the pee, put on/take off shoes, drink, fill bottles, etc. on the bike.  For some of us, it's not so easy and yes practice helps but so does confidence and time. 

I, for one, am still working on taking my hands off the bike to do anything like wipe my nose, move my glasses and maybe reach for something like a gel in my bento box.  I plan on carrying 2 bottles and a flask on the bike and stopping once to move stuff around b/c that is what I am comfortable with.  It's been a huge victory for me to actually get into aero position my last few races so I think I can wait on fixing a 4-course meal on top of my bike at an aid station while pedaling. 

As my coach told me I'll lose a lot less time if I stop quickly and refill then wreck and lay on the side of the road bleeding w/ a broken bike. 

Suzy I think you should do at Lonestar what you have practiced and carry a little extra liquid if you want to stop one less time.  This is practice for you anyways since you are not running.  Then at home keep working on the bike handling skills such as grabbing bottles while riding by and trying to drink/empty/ etc. on the fly.

that's my 2 cents!
2010-04-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2786626

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2010-04-12 7:49 PM

tjtryon - 2010-04-12 4:27 PM Wooo! Just got my email, I've been confirmed for my preferred seeding for the 2010 OneAmerica 500Festival MiniMarathon (my time at the 7 mile Groundhog race qualified me).

Congrats.  You and 34999 of your friends.  I am curious... What makes this race so popular?

I think there is only about 1000 or so in the front corrals, which is what the preferred seeding gets you - no waiting 20 minutes for everyone in front of you to get over the start line (last year, I started 22 minutes after the gun time) - and it was probably a mile or two before I really could run. This year, I'll be running right away.

I don't know why it is so popular, maybe because you get to run on the Indy 500 track? Bands playing every 1/2 mile? Tradition? I really don't know, but probably one of those...
2010-04-12 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-04-12 7:37 PM I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

Great news.  Hope the bike fit and the time off will be all that you need.

I was not so fortunate at the Doctors today. 

Found out I am going to have my 3rd shoulder surgery since March 8th.  This time to remove the 2 plates and 4 screws that came loose and to wire everything together.....6 more weeks in a sling and 4 weeks of rehab and I will be as good as new any 57 y.o can be. 

No races for the entire year....well maybe a late fall marathon or something like that but no tri races in 2010.

I am not as concerned about having another surgery as I cam keeping my job....I only worked about a week in a new job back in late Feb. when this started and they have held the job this long....I am afraid they may have to move on and I really can't blame them.

We shall see.
2010-04-12 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2786640

User image

Pro
tjtryon - 2010-04-12 4:57 PM
swbkrun - 2010-04-12 7:49 PM

I think there is only about 1000 or so in the front corrals, which is what the preferred seeding gets you - no waiting 20 minutes for everyone in front of you to get over the start line (last year, I started 22 minutes after the gun time) - and it was probably a mile or two before I really could run. This year, I'll be running right away. I don't know why it is so popular, maybe because you get to run on the Indy 500 track? Bands playing every 1/2 mile? Tradition? I really don't know, but probably one of those...

I did watch the video.... Looks like a fun event!
2010-04-12 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2786650

User image

Pro
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 5:03 PM
Jeepguy2358 - 2010-04-12 7:37 PM I got some really fantastic news and have to share.  For the past three weeks, I have been unable to run.  I had a pain in my left knee that was so painful, at times I couldn't even walk.  I went to the doc for some xrays.  They showed nothing.  His initial thought was a tear in the lateral meniscus.  He wanted me to wait on an MRI to see if it would heal on it's own.  It has gotten better, but has not fully healed, so I went for the MRI today and it shows I have some soft tissue swelling around my IT Band insertion point, but no tears.  He actually said everything looks great!  Now, the plan is to make sure I ice and take NSAID's as needed.  I had gotten to the point of looking past IMLOO for another race later in the year, which I didn't want to do. 

Found out I am going to have my 3rd shoulder surgery since March 8th.  This time to remove the 2 plates and 4 screws that came loose and to wire everything together.....6 more weeks in a sling and 4 weeks of rehab and I will be as good as new any 57 y.o can be. 

No races for the entire year....well maybe a late fall marathon or something like that but no tri races in 2010.

I am not as concerned about having another surgery as I cam keeping my job....I only worked about a week in a new job back in late Feb. when this started and they have held the job this long....I am afraid they may have to move on and I really can't blame them.

We shall see.

DAMN!  Sorry to hear that!

2010-04-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2786495

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Tobey91 - 2010-04-12 3:37 PM
Great pic. 

But what is with the construction zone - including some discarded lumber - behind you?  Have you started you pirating cable TV again with that orange wire? 

Hey, what can I say... I live in a trailer park!
2010-04-12 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 8:03 PM

We shall see.

Man!! So sorry to hear that! 
2010-04-12 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
>I was not so fortunate at the Doctors today. 

We shall see.

Ohhh, man, that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear this!
2010-04-12 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

We shall see.

Man Steve, everything about that sucks. I am so sorry to hear it. 
2010-04-12 7:26 PM

User image

Master

Found out I am going to have my 3rd shoulder surgery since March 8th. 

That's not fun, good luck with that...

2010-04-12 7:27 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

We shall see.

Oh, Steve, so sorry to hear that.  Take care of yourself, I'm definitely thinking of you.  Hugs. 
2010-04-12 7:31 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Please post about the fitting. WHat technique they use (Retul, etc.) do they swap out parts, pedals, saddles, etc. Good luck and great news.
2010-04-12 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2786702

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
You guys (and gals ) are the best....that is why I wanted to stay in this group even though I was not going to be racing this year.  Ya'll are the best.

I will be around and Inspiring and PM'ing you that are racing and training and living my 2010 season through your success'.

Thanks again

STeve
2010-04-12 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2786712

User image

Master
DougRob - 2010-04-12 8:31 PM

Please post about the fitting. WHat technique they use (Retul, etc.) do they swap out parts, pedals, saddles, etc. Good luck and great news.

If anyone has a video that they want to get their "angles", I have a copy of dart fish. I'd just need about a 10 or 15 second (at most) video. You can even do a quick video with your phone and text it to me:

2010-04-12 7:39 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I had a bike fit at the local tri-shop. I saw a Retul up in MAryland 2 weeka ago and thought it was cool, what with the video, sensors, part exchange, etc. I just like learning this stuff.

2010-04-12 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2786715

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Reno8 - 2010-04-12 8:32 PM You guys (and gals ) are the best....that is why I wanted to stay in this group even though I was not going to be racing this year.  Ya'll are the best.

I will be around and Inspiring and PM'ing you that are racing and training and living my 2010 season through your success'.

Thanks again

STeve

Steve I look forward to meeting you in Augusta! Hopefully the surgery will not affect your drinking arm.
2010-04-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2786674

User image

Pro
RoniS - 2010-04-12 5:13 PM
Tobey91 - 2010-04-12 3:37 PM
Great pic. 

But what is with the construction zone - including some discarded lumber - behind you?  Have you started you pirating cable TV again with that orange wire? 

Hey, what can I say... I live in a trailer park!

I love the bike, but I have to ask (seriously) is your seat pointing downward too much?  Your bike is Beautiful.  I love the white bar tape!!!
2010-04-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2786381

User image

Elite
Ontario
ryanp100 - 2010-04-12 5:30 PM
GoFaster - 2010-04-12 1:26 PM Agreed - but if I'm in my smallest gear pushing 300+, what am I supposed to do at that point?  Just pedal slower?
As a couple of others have alluded to, it's the wattage that's important here, and making sure that you're not blowing your legs for the rest of the ride or run. The tendency for most people is to go too hard uphill and then not be able to keep the watts up on the downhill. 300w is some pretty hefty power. Can I ask what your FTP is? What's your gearing? I'm assuming a 39 small ring in the front, and maybe a 23 or 25 for the largest cog on your cassette?

Not sure what my FTP is yet, I'm planning on testing it this week.  I took a look at the numbers from that ride and I can see that for the 1/2km climb, my avg watts were 293 (guess I exagerrated on the 300+) and speed 16.9kmph - so I'm not moving very fast.  I did most of the climb 39/23 and shifted down to 39/25 near the end when it got steepest.  Hopefully I can ride a proper hill this weekend and see what the power looks like over a longer stretch.

But to my original question - what should I do about riding at a more conservative level when the gears run out?  Is it really a case of pedaling slower, cause that just makes me think I have to work harder to turn the crank over.
2010-04-12 8:46 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

We shall see.

Damn Steve, that is terrible.  I hope it all goes well both with the surgery and on the job front.
George
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 328