BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by Atlantia

I mentioned C&O because I got this email about about a bike ride/excursion from Pittsburgh to DC.  I was getting more and more interested until the price tag  I said to myself, surely we could roll our own for a lot less! 

Also,  I wasn't sure that everyone would be up for 335 miles of togetherness ;-D 

it looks like the C&O section is about 184 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD.  The GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) section is from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh.  The C&O section seems to be closer to more Manatees.

I would so do this! Except....isn't the C&O not paved in parts? Anyone know if you can ride a road bike on the whole thing?

It's clay or crushed stone.  I think that it's like some of the bike can bridle trails in my area but I don't know for sure.  Given that it's flat (it is an old towpath, after all!), I think that I would take my road bike. 

https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/hikingandbiking.htm

Given my proximity, I'll take on the task of investigating and reporting back on conditions! :D

That would be great!

I've ridden on part of the tow path that goes through Ohio (not sure if it's the same system of paths used in this ride) and used a road bike without any trouble. 

2016-05-04 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Happy birthday TJ. Have a great day (said in an American accent ).

+1

Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday TJ, sorry I'm late to the party
2016-05-04 5:53 PM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Lighttower

I just wanted to drop by and say hi!

I haven't checked the thread lately, so I apologies for being out of the loop, how is everyone? I hope everyone is doing well and enjoys training and racing.

I had my first race this weekend, I managed to do exactly what I planned and executed it well. I had a halfmarathon with a 1:35 time (my fourth HM and each time I am faster by 2 mins), I managed to break my strava records in all aspect (3:30 1k during the HM! ) So I am very pleased with my progress. Swimming goes along nicely aswell and I tripled my bike training, I ride 150k each week.

I think I am slowly getting there. :-)
Mark if you think that's "slowly" getting there you need to com to my place so you can see what slow really looks like

Great job!
2016-05-05 2:56 AM

User image

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice as it is really appreciated and it is great that that you are there to ask!

Have a great day!

Tom
2016-05-05 5:39 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Reading all the helpful info on transitions for a first triathlon has me thinking about my first one. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever accomplished and to this day, I am so proud of myself for doing it. I get a silly smile on my face remembering it. It was so far out of anything I had ever thought I could do, especially starting at age 49. Remember to enjoy all of the emotions. I was so terrified at the start! Then I giggled on the bike and the run was like a death march and then... it was fun again and then.... I was a triathlete! I was so surprised when they called my name out! I was nearly last and I Did. NOT. Care. I DID it!!.

Have a fantastic time.

2016-05-05 7:56 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh

Reading all the helpful info on transitions for a first triathlon has me thinking about my first one. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever accomplished and to this day, I am so proud of myself for doing it. I get a silly smile on my face remembering it. It was so far out of anything I had ever thought I could do, especially starting at age 49. Remember to enjoy all of the emotions. I was so terrified at the start! Then I giggled on the bike and the run was like a death march and then... it was fun again and then.... I was a triathlete! I was so surprised when they called my name out! I was nearly last and I Did. NOT. Care. I DID it!!.

Have a fantastic time.

^^^^ This!!!

2016-05-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Lighttower I just wanted to drop by and say hi! I haven't checked the thread lately, so I apologies for being out of the loop, how is everyone? I hope everyone is doing well and enjoys training and racing. I had my first race this weekend, I managed to do exactly what I planned and executed it well. I had a halfmarathon with a 1:35 time (my fourth HM and each time I am faster by 2 mins), I managed to break my strava records in all aspect (3:30 1k during the HM! ) So I am very pleased with my progress. Swimming goes along nicely aswell and I tripled my bike training, I ride 150k each week. I think I am slowly getting there. :-)

Great job on the half marathon and crushing your Strava records!  Keep up the good work and enjoy the feeling of progress!

2016-05-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Tomorrow I finally will finish my fit on Rico and get him back!  Sadly, I'll have to miss part of a day of work to do it.  My conversation, condensed, with the fitter yesterday: 

Him: when can you come in?  Friday?
Me: Sure, Friday will work. I can be there around 6.
Him: Oh, that won't work.  I can only do up until 4.
Me: (thinking: 4?!) Ummm....
Him: or I can get you in Tuesday
Me, slightly panicking, thinking of not having Rico for the rides this weekend and the upcoming tri: no, no, I can make Friday work. See you around 2.

hang up, email manager: leaving early Friday!  Thank heavens I have a flexible schedule and non-rigid time off policy!

Oh well, missing work is less than optimal but I really need to get Rico back and get this fit finished, or at least moved to the next stage.  He has 2 saddles for me to try, so I have a feeling this won't be the end-all, but hopefully the process doesn't continue to get dragged on because my freak body doesn't cooperate.

2016-05-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by cdban66

Have a fantastic time.

^^^^ This!!!

+1

I have a friend doing her first this Sunday.  I'll be at the race.  Looking forward to hearing her experience post-race!

2016-05-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Tomorrow I finally will finish my fit on Rico and get him back!  Sadly, I'll have to miss part of a day of work to do it.  My conversation, condensed, with the fitter yesterday: 

Him: when can you come in?  Friday?
Me: Sure, Friday will work. I can be there around 6.
Him: Oh, that won't work.  I can only do up until 4.
Me: (thinking: 4?!) Ummm....
Him: or I can get you in Tuesday
Me, slightly panicking, thinking of not having Rico for the rides this weekend and the upcoming tri: no, no, I can make Friday work. See you around 2.

hang up, email manager: leaving early Friday!  Thank heavens I have a flexible schedule and non-rigid time off policy!

Oh well, missing work is less than optimal but I really need to get Rico back and get this fit finished, or at least moved to the next stage.  He has 2 saddles for me to try, so I have a feeling this won't be the end-all, but hopefully the process doesn't continue to get dragged on because my freak body doesn't cooperate.

I am sorry, but your difficulty getting a bike fit makes me feel like I am in good company. Misery loves company, I guess.

2016-05-05 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I'm having a bike issue: I'm running a triple, and can't shift into the big ring. When I'm on the trainer, everything works fine, but when out on the road it makes this bad noise and never shifts. The giraffe is enjoying trying to fix it on his own, so any kind of links I can send him would be appreciated. We're trying to keep it out of the LBS and not spend any money at this particular moment. Any ideas?

Edited to add: if this sounds like user error, don't be shy. Just tell me, haha!

Edited by Atlantia 2016-05-05 10:46 AM

2016-05-05 11:33 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Denver, Colorado

Have a fantastic time.

This is what I love about triathlon experience: that feeling when you cross the finish line and you know you DID IT! Great job Robin ))
2016-05-05 11:43 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Atlantia I'm having a bike issue: I'm running a triple, and can't shift into the big ring. When I'm on the trainer, everything works fine, but when out on the road it makes this bad noise and never shifts. The giraffe is enjoying trying to fix it on his own, so any kind of links I can send him would be appreciated. We're trying to keep it out of the LBS and not spend any money at this particular moment. Any ideas? Edited to add: if this sounds like user error, don't be shy. Just tell me, haha!

I've not had this experience, although I have had different things happen on the repair stand than on the road. I'd haave to look into it more.

2016-05-05 11:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia I'm having a bike issue: I'm running a triple, and can't shift into the big ring. When I'm on the trainer, everything works fine, but when out on the road it makes this bad noise and never shifts. The giraffe is enjoying trying to fix it on his own, so any kind of links I can send him would be appreciated. We're trying to keep it out of the LBS and not spend any money at this particular moment. Any ideas? Edited to add: if this sounds like user error, don't be shy. Just tell me, haha!

Whenever I have had problems with my shifting, it has been worse on the road that on the trainer.  Mostly I have had problems with the rear derailleur though.  I did find this link about adjusting the front.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Properly-Adjust-The-Front-Derailleur-On-You/

This one, however, says don't tough the front until you've already touched the back.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

I'll be quiet now as the more mechanically minded (Chris, Darren, Ben?) chime in.

2016-05-05 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by AtlantiaI'm having a bike issue: I'm running a triple, and can't shift into the big ring. When I'm on the trainer, everything works fine, but when out on the road it makes this bad noise and never shifts. The giraffe is enjoying trying to fix it on his own, so any kind of links I can send him would be appreciated. We're trying to keep it out of the LBS and not spend any money at this particular moment. Any ideas? Edited to add: if this sounds like user error, don't be shy. Just tell me, haha!
When the bike was on the trainer and shifting ok were you sat on it? Additional weight on the saddle can add enough flex to mess with things. Something to try: whilst cycling in the middle ring, reach under the down tube and pull on the gear cable directly. I it changes, then it's not the limit screw or derailleur. Which means it's either cable stretch ( tighten cables/new cable) or worst case, the shifter.
2016-05-05 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by AtlantiaI'm having a bike issue: I'm running a triple, and can't shift into the big ring. When I'm on the trainer, everything works fine, but when out on the road it makes this bad noise and never shifts. The giraffe is enjoying trying to fix it on his own, so any kind of links I can send him would be appreciated. We're trying to keep it out of the LBS and not spend any money at this particular moment. Any ideas? Edited to add: if this sounds like user error, don't be shy. Just tell me, haha!
When the bike was on the trainer and shifting ok were you sat on it? Additional weight on the saddle can add enough flex to mess with things. Something to try: whilst cycling in the middle ring, reach under the down tube and pull on the gear cable directly. I it changes, then it's not the limit screw or derailleur. Which means it's either cable stretch ( tighten cables/new cable) or worst case, the shifter.
Saying that, I can't see it being the limit screws or front deraileur seems it's shifting in to the big ring on the trainer. Most likely cable stretch.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-05-05 6:34 PM

2016-05-05 9:17 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master

I am no help on anything mechanical.  I'm just popping in to say hey.  Started my two month contract position this week, the same one had last May/June.  Working on a research project with radioiodine-treated hyperthyroid kitties.  Busy days but fun work.  Well except yesterday, when the college and the high school were on lockdown due to reports of a man with a weapon in the area.  I had gone out for a run--heard all the sirens and when I go back to work I am told that I can't go in, have to go back across the street.  Not knowing what is going on, I am freaking out about my two co-op students, pacing the street.  Thank goodness it ended quickly and sounds like it was a mistaken report.  No harm done, but holy stress!

Anyone who has some extra prayers, please send to the folks in Fort MacMurray, Alberta, the province to the east of me.  Terrible wildfires ravaging the area, one area of the town lost 80% of buildings; more than 90000 evacuated, some twice due to winds changing direction.  Many had to leave without the opportunity to grab basic necessities.  The video is absolutely unbelievable...like out of a movie, only it's real life.  I can't even imagine driving away from my home with huge flames on either side of the highway.  It's mindboggling.  If you have $5 not earmarked for anything, please consider a donation to the Red Cross.  Thanks.

2016-05-06 6:07 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hope all is okay there. That is terrible about Fort MacMurray. Hoping to be up in your neck of the woods for IM Calgary 70.3 this summer. Will be sending my prayers your way.

Poor kitties--maybe that's my Tomoko's problem. She's 2 1/2, less than 3 kg, and looks like a six month old kitten. Every time we go to the vet I have to remind him she is an adult cat and we don't need kitten shots. She eats nearly as much as the big one (7 kg) and is obsessed with food, but super high-energy and always running around on some mission of her own devising--I guess she's kind of a cat version of me and just burns it all off. Vet claims she is healthy but a "Vietnamese mini-cat". She was one of nine kittens, so maybe that has something to do with it, too.
2016-05-06 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

I am no help on anything mechanical.  I'm just popping in to say hey.  Started my two month contract position this week, the same one had last May/June.  Working on a research project with radioiodine-treated hyperthyroid kitties.  Busy days but fun work.  Well except yesterday, when the college and the high school were on lockdown due to reports of a man with a weapon in the area.  I had gone out for a run--heard all the sirens and when I go back to work I am told that I can't go in, have to go back across the street.  Not knowing what is going on, I am freaking out about my two co-op students, pacing the street.  Thank goodness it ended quickly and sounds like it was a mistaken report.  No harm done, but holy stress!

Anyone who has some extra prayers, please send to the folks in Fort MacMurray, Alberta, the province to the east of me.  Terrible wildfires ravaging the area, one area of the town lost 80% of buildings; more than 90000 evacuated, some twice due to winds changing direction.  Many had to leave without the opportunity to grab basic necessities.  The video is absolutely unbelievable...like out of a movie, only it's real life.  I can't even imagine driving away from my home with huge flames on either side of the highway.  It's mindboggling.  If you have $5 not earmarked for anything, please consider a donation to the Red Cross.  Thanks.

I've been watching the news reports on this - wow, it is something out of a nightmare!!  

2016-05-06 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Saying that, I can't see it being the limit screws or front deraileur seems it's shifting in to the big ring on the trainer. Most likely cable stretch.

Yes, when I'm sitting on it on the trainer it shifts okay. I'll give it a try tonight to check on cable stretch.
2016-05-06 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I've been watching the coverage of the Fort Mac fires. It really does look like something out of a film, and trying to wrap my head around the fact that it is real is, like you said, mindboggling.

2016-05-06 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've seen some video and pictures and it looks terrifying!

(edited to correct formatting)

Edited by jmkizer 2016-05-06 10:33 AM
2016-05-06 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Haven't really heard/seen much of the fire over this side of the pond. Sounds awful. As for the hyperactive thyroid, turns out my wife's thyroid Is playing up again. She had an overactive thyroid before, but it got better with medication. Unfortunately it's come back. She went to the hospital 2 days ago and now she has to decide when she goes back in 4 week whether or not she will choose the radioiodine treatment or to go under the knife to have part of it removed. I think she's bending towards the op'.
2016-05-06 11:37 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Haven't really heard/seen much of the fire over this side of the pond. Sounds awful. As for the hyperactive thyroid, turns out my wife's thyroid Is playing up again. She had an overactive thyroid before, but it got better with medication. Unfortunately it's come back. She went to the hospital 2 days ago and now she has to decide when she goes back in 4 week whether or not she will choose the radioiodine treatment or to go under the knife to have part of it removed. I think she's bending towards the op'.

I've live with hypo since 5th grade, been medicated ever since. My sister's hyper showed up in adulthood. She opted for the radio and is happy with that.

2016-05-06 11:43 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

I've been watching the news reports on this - wow, it is something out of a nightmare!!  

It looks like hell! I am so sorry.. I cannot even imagine how I would manage the situation... :/
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.