BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Monday - some great news - I adopted an older dachshund yesterday from Tallahassee. This is Ellie Mae, and we were meant to be.
(more pics in my blog!)

Welcome, Ellie Mae!

She's a cutie!

2019-01-28 8:56 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pennsylvania

Happy Monday - some great news - I adopted an older dachshund yesterday from Tallahassee. This is Ellie Mae, and we were meant to be.
(more pics in my blog!)

Hi Ellie Mae, you look like such a sweet girl!  And thanks, Lisa, for taking in a 'senior' dog.  The need and deserve love, too.

2019-01-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella A little treadmill update. I did run off of the treadmill and had to catch myself on the supports to keep from having a major wipe out. I was following normal routing watching a movie and running, when I looked out the window and saw an 8 pt buck in my neighbor's yard. The next thing I knew I ran into the front of the machine, stepped on the motor housing and started to fall. Fortunately I caught the hand bars and held myself up before I fell. It's normal to see deer here, they are like over sized squirrels. It is unusual to see a mature buck during the day. The major storm we are supposed to get tonight has them feeding during the day.

Jim, I love this story!!  I'm glad to hear you didn't face plant. 

2019-01-28 10:29 AM

User image

(more pics in my blog!)

Aww, so sweet! Welcome to the Manatees Ellie May!
2019-01-28 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

(more pics in my blog!)

Awww, love her sweet face!!!
2019-01-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Illinois
Can you stand another post about the weather? Things weren't too bad this morning --- 34F with some wind and it was raining just a bit when I went to the office. Now it's just about closing time and it's below zero and I can hear the wind screaming outside. It's kind of scary, actually.

2019-01-28 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Can you stand another post about the weather? Things weren't too bad this morning --- 34F with some wind and it was raining just a bit when I went to the office. Now it's just about closing time and it's below zero and I can hear the wind screaming outside. It's kind of scary, actually.

i can’t believe the crazy cold weather so much of the country is having! Almost makes me feel badly that I’m sitting outside watching tv. I do have a blanket over my lap, so don’t be too jealous

Really, the cold weather up there is scary- stay Safe all!

2019-01-28 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by abakeCan you stand another post about the weather? Things weren't too bad this morning --- 34F with some wind and it was raining just a bit when I went to the office. Now it's just about closing time and it's below zero and I can hear the wind screaming outside. It's kind of scary, actually.
weather is one of the things that shows us we are not the masters of the universe.
2019-01-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes--at some point I'm suspicious that we will be paying our winter weather dues here in Idaho. Mom was complaining about it being "cold" but actually very mild compared to almost anywhere east of the Rockies and north of Florida--lows in mid-20's, high about 41, fog clearing to pleasant sunshine, minimal wind.

I just had a swim workout today after three days of really hard bike and/or run workouts. (I think my coach's idea is to make the race seem "easy" by comparison.) If only they would heat the pool building and locker rooms. I swear they don't--they have infant swim classes in an "instructional pool" next to the lap pool, and the parents sit poolside in their coats while the kiddos learn to swim! They keep the baby clothes and towels in the sauna so they can be wrapped, dried, and dressed in warm clothes afterwards. Thinking about doing the same! (I do put myself in the sauna after swimming.)

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-01-28 8:08 PM
2019-01-28 8:57 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

"January thaw" madness here today--sunny with high of 48-50 and all of Boise was out on the Greenbelt and in the parks and roads, running and biking (about 1/3 in shorts). People sitting outside at cafes and coffee shops. I did my long run in a long sleeve tech shirt and tights and that was about right. Sinking feeling though that this probably isn't going to last, if people are calling it a "January thaw"!

OMG Low one day last week in Wanaka was 36. Highs have been bouncing around between about 57 and 75, lows high 30's to mid 50's. Fine for a HM or marathon, but it's a HIM! It is their late summer (equivalent to end of July for us) so not sure if things are trending warmer or cooler now.
Karen hopefully the Wanaka weather isn't like our. Generally February is our hottest month of the year and you can almost guarantee that for the first week of February which is when school goes back we will have a string of 40*C (104*F) days. If you look at Accuweather they will show what the average for each day in February normally is.
2019-01-28 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

(more pics in my blog!)

What a cutie

2019-01-28 9:15 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm sorry that you are having such bad weather. Up until the last week or so we have had really nice summer weather and it has been fairly mild. That changed about 10 days ago and we have had a number of days above 100 now with more to come this week.

The wheels have fallen off my "Keep Moving" and "Distance Travelled" challenges. Phil is unwell again (a bit like he was in 2014) and so he isn't able to do any of the watering and yard maintenance. Given that we are having days of around 100*F everything has to be watered and it takes all of my morning running time to get it done. Thinking that I might have to start going to bed at 9pm and getting up at 4 so I can get some running in.

On a positive note despite my eating not being perfect I have actually managed to still lose some weight this week.

(Adam I have fixed your entries in the distance traveled challenge as you had gotten yourself a week ahead - I hope that is ok)
2019-01-28 9:35 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I actually have ZERO worries about Wanaka being too hot! Anything up to 36-38 degrees C of dry heat is fine with me; it's a bucket list race, so I don't really care if I have to back off the pace or walk a bit on the run to cool off. Much more worried it's going to be miserably cold. Wanaka's toward the south end of the South Island and surrounded by mountains. Erratic weather at best (have been there in mid-March before) and the warmest I've seen all summer has been about 25 degrees C. That 36 I mentioned was the low in degrees F (about 2 C). Yikes! More worried that mid-February might actually be trending more toward fall weather. That would be like mid-August in the northern hemisphere. Far enough north in Canada (i.e. Calgary and points north), that's really more the beginning of fall than peak of summer. Will check their weather trends shortly as I start thinking about packing--definitely bringing "full body armor" (full wetsuit, neoprene cap, booties) for the swim (notoriously on the chilly side) and layering options for the rest, just in case.

We are going on to a bike tour in Australia (out of Melbourne) after so will also come ready for those triple-digit (F) days!
2019-01-29 6:58 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

(more pics in my blog!)

Hello! Welcome Sweetie!

2019-01-29 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Can you stand another post about the weather? Things weren't too bad this morning --- 34F with some wind and it was raining just a bit when I went to the office. Now it's just about closing time and it's below zero and I can hear the wind screaming outside. It's kind of scary, actually.

It's crazy out there! Stay safe!

2019-01-29 9:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yuck.  The wind/wind chill is what you really need to mind, as I'm sure you know.  Stay warm and stay safe!  Cover up any exposed skin.

2019-01-29 3:08 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

(more pics in my blog!)

I love that face! HI CUTIE!
2019-01-29 6:46 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by JBacarella A tropical -13F when I got up this morning, plus 8 in of snow on top of ice this week. The dreadmill and the drainer (aka pretend bike riding with my pretend friends) are my training partners until April or May, depending on the Spring. Our road is outright treacherous. The UPS guy refuses to drive down it. I've never had an issue running on it, unless I have nothing to watch or get engrossed in a movie and miss the tread.

Yup, that about sums up much of the indoor season! 

"Pretend riding with my pretend friends" was coined by daughter #3, while she was emotionally abusing me. It ended up sticking. The rest of the comment was, "if you had friends, you could for real ride with your for real friends." Teen aged girls are the more viscous animal on earth.
2019-01-29 6:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

(more pics in my blog!)

Welcome, Ellie Mae!

She's a cutie!

What a doll!
2019-01-29 9:17 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by JBacarella A tropical -13F when I got up this morning, plus 8 in of snow on top of ice this week. The dreadmill and the drainer (aka pretend bike riding with my pretend friends) are my training partners until April or May, depending on the Spring. Our road is outright treacherous. The UPS guy refuses to drive down it. I've never had an issue running on it, unless I have nothing to watch or get engrossed in a movie and miss the tread.

"Pretend riding with my pretend friends" was coined by daughter #3, while she was emotionally abusing me. It ended up sticking. The rest of the comment was, "if you had friends, you could for real ride with your for real friends." Teen aged girls are the more viscous animal on earth.
cuts to the bone!
2019-01-30 7:25 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

cuts to the bone!

Soon you will be all set up to pretend ride with us! ha!

2019-01-30 8:05 AM

User image

Expert

cuts to the bone!

Pretend riding with real friends! It's almost like be social.
2019-01-30 8:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

cuts to the bone!

Pretend riding with real friends! It's almost like be social.

We could have a Manatee discord channel!

2019-01-30 5:15 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Anybody else in the JoGo weight loss challenge wishing we also had a column for total weight lost in addition to the Over/Under Goal metric? One weekend of gluttony may doom me to the dreaded red numbers for the duration!
2019-01-30 6:37 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by kbhanson3 Anybody else in the JoGo weight loss challenge wishing we also had a column for total weight lost in addition to the Over/Under Goal metric? One weekend of gluttony may doom me to the dreaded red numbers for the duration!

Row 17 should show it on the weight loss sheet.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107