BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-03 2:29 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by IronOx

I am struggling with JoGo....not doing terrible on the strength/yoga, but my weight is going in the wrong direction....Not for lack of workouts, so likely a result of eating the wrong things. I need to get back on less carbs, but carbs are so easy for snacks (ie toast and PB). So little time right now that meal planning/prep is difficult to do. I'm also struggling with my Seasonal Affective Disorder--low motivation and lack of concentration mostly, thankfully no depressive symptoms (well aside the fact that an Oreo cookie commercial almost had me sobbing on the weekend! )  But its a new week, so, onward!

Thank all that is good that I didn't see that one. The Alexa commercial during the superbowl made me ugly cry. In front of a bunch of friends... who were crying, too.

2020-02-03 3:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

JoGo update day!

This week marks the middle of our challenge.

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Good JoGo week for me.  I hit the eating habits goal and the miles traveled goal which I think both contributed to my weight being down this week.  I do a 24-hour fast the first Sunday of every month for religious reasons and that may have been a bigger factor on the weight being down.  I will just have to stay focused this week and see where I am at next week.  Being at my mom and dads house Thursday through Sunday won't help the weight goal.  :-)  

2020-02-03 4:04 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

TECH/APPS

I would have to describe my self as a VERY casual triathlete.  And, as such, I have found minimal tech works just fine for me.  I currently get almost all the info I want from my Timex Ironman 50 wristwatch.  I do  have to admit that I enjoy getting the HR info from the Expresso bikes at the Y.  Somewhere back at the house my daughter and her kids are living in there is a Timex HR monitor from 2012 (can't remember the model).  I might spend the money for another one later this year, after my social security kicks in.

Wondering if anyone  has done a head-to-head comparison of the Under Armor Mapmyride vs Ridewithgps apps.  I have the MapMyFitness app on my phone already and it seems to do the job.  What "benefit" is there to switching to ridewithgps?

And finally, 10 years ago, when we were going to WW's meetings they had a pretty neat app for tracking nutrition.  Does anybody recommend a good nutrition tracker?  Especially one that has all the carbs/proteins/fats data for a boatload of different foods.  Maybe even one where I can input the recipe and the app does the rest for me.

My Fitness Pal is pretty good.  Decent list of existing foods plus you can add your own and also recipes, etc.

2020-02-03 4:58 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

JoGo update day!

This week marks the middle of our challenge.

Dooo Eeettt!!!

Good JoGo week for me.  I hit the eating habits goal and the miles traveled goal which I think both contributed to my weight being down this week.  I do a 24-hour fast the first Sunday of every month for religious reasons and that may have been a bigger factor on the weight being down.  I will just have to stay focused this week and see where I am at next week.  Being at my mom and dads house Thursday through Sunday won't help the weight goal.  :-)  

A bad JoGo week for me. I was traveling all week, living out of hotels, and eating not so great. Last week we had the discussion on rest/recovery days, and I had been pushing pretty consistently for a few weeks in a row so I figured I would be ok taking a rest/recovery week. Well, lesson learned, that is a BAD idea. I got back late Friday night, and Saturday was more of a 'recovery from my traveling' day than a recovery from any kind of training. Sunday I went out and skated and played hockey with my son for a while, and it kinda whipped me good. I don't know if I lost everything I gained up to that point, but today I am definitely feeling the need to hurry up and get back into things. Not necessarily because I have the urgent need to workout, but rather, because I recognize that this is the point where a week off turns into two weeks quickly, then a month, and so on. So tonight I'll either do a run or a bike and get back into the swing of things. I also limited my computer usage during my travel week, so I've been just a terrible manatee for the week. Time to get back on the wagon.
2020-02-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by melbo55

OK, I have a dumb question for my gravel friends.  Dumb because I'm pretty sure the answer is in the "it depends" category.

If you are trying to estimate how long it will take you to complete a gravel event, how do you go about that.  For example. Loudoun 1725 ha s a 40 mile option with 2100 feet of climbing and a 60 mile option with 3400 feet of climbing.  On paved roads on my road bike I'd have a good estimate of how long it would take me to complete each of these distances.  It looks like Loudoun is mostly gravel roads (does not look gnarly from the photos) with at least one stream crossing. Is there a rule of thumb like gravel takes x% longer than tarmac?

I went ahead and made hotel reservations for the 2020 event and I plan to ride it. I'm just trying to figure out what I should sign up for! 

Kevin is not participating in the event. He may bring a bike and do his own thing.

In order to further sell him on this excursion, I did a little bit of research about Loudoun county vineyards and came up with this list of area wineries from Food and Wine’s Best Virginia Wineries to Visit, there are others around:
* Fabbioli http://www.fabbioliwines.com/
* Breaux https://www.breauxvineyards.com/
* Stone Tower: https://www.stonetowerwinery.com/
* Three Fox: https://www.threefoxvineyards.com/

From the course maps looks like the ride takes place in between the vineyards -- Greenhill, Bluemont, and Stone Tower (on the Food and Wine list). 

Jen Stewey and Laura, are you familiar with any of these?

Ooooh, this looks so fun and it's less than 3 hour drive for me AND doesn't include any of the hated '95s', as I call them (routes with 95 in them, usually a driving nightmare).  Route 15 is a nice drive for me.  The only hangup is I don't have a gravel bike...I guess I could check the LBS and see if anyone rents for a weekend...

The Bike Lane in Leesburg (Loudoun County) rents gravel bikes!
2020-02-04 10:15 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by IronOx...(well aside the fact that an Oreo cookie commercial almost had me sobbing on the weekend! )

I cannot remember the last time I "made friends" with a bag of Oreos, but I know it was before Thanksgiving.  Kirsten, they are gone, but not forgotten.  A little trick that I have used in the past when the longing got to be too intense, stop at a convenience store and buy the little 4-6 count packet of Oreos they sell.  You still get your Oreo fix, but  you have no danger of eating the entire one pound bag and drinking a quart of milk all in one sitting.  (Been there, done that, own the t-shirt!)

2020-02-04 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by jmkizer  JoGo update day!

I update on Friday, the day I record the lowest weight of the week.  For some reason I am always up a little on Mondays.

2020-02-04 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Random thought:  Anybody else have trouble getting into the Forums on their mobile app yesterday?  Could not get in using my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, or her iPad.

2020-02-04 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Seeking the Wisdom of the Collective, or at least More Experienced athletes.
Long Bike:  55m, 12.02mi, 13.1 mph, Avg HR=119, Max HR 134  -  Okay, a little "scarey". Noticed on the last lap that my arms and legs were stating to tremble. Don't know whether I hit it too hard or whether I was bonking on carbs. I think on long bike days I may have to increase the ratio of Gatorade:Water in my bottle (from 30/70 to 50/50), and maybe start drinking sooner. I didn't drink until I was 50% complete and then again at 100% finished. Perhaps I should drink with each lap completed?
On the plus side, I did manage to stay above 13mph for what I consider to be a fairly difficult course, definitely more challenging than the Speedway track. That bodes well for the Lumberjack, where the hills are (I think) less challenging.  Plus, I'm riding 4 laps of the Alpine Splash, whereas on the Lumberjack I will only have two real hills on the way out and two more on the way back.  If anything, I would say riding the Alpine Splash is actually "over-training".Weight: 365
2020-02-04 10:41 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What "benefit" is there to switching to ridewithgps?

And finally, 10 years ago, when we were going to WW's meetings they had a pretty neat app for tracking nutrition.  Does anybody recommend a good nutrition tracker?  Especially one that has all the carbs/proteins/fats data for a boatload of different foods.  Maybe even one where I can input the recipe and the app does the rest for me.

I haven't used other "ride with" apps, but DO pay to use Ride With GPS when I'm riding outdoors because all of my tri club's normal routes are loaded in there. And I've gotten lost a few times before when they've re-surfaced roads and the markers were no longer visible. Ride With GPS uses almost no battery life, when other apps I've used suck the battery dry within a few hours. I like Ride w GPS's turn by turn directions and "head's up" directions (next turn is on your left in 2 miles). I put my phone in my back pocked with the volume on high so I can hear the directions when riding (without ear buds).

My Fitness Pal is amazing for tracking nutrition. You can scan any bar code to have the information immediately populate and build meals/recipes in the app as well. If you're inputting recipes though, you have to comb through what it pulls up because it will pull brands and quantities that a lot of times don't match up with what you have in your pantry - and the differences can be huge. I also recommend weighing everything on a food scale if you're going to put in the effort to track. 

2020-02-04 11:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

TECH/APPS

I would have to describe my self as a VERY casual triathlete.  And, as such, I have found minimal tech works just fine for me.  I currently get almost all the info I want from my Timex Ironman 50 wristwatch.  I do  have to admit that I enjoy getting the HR info from the Expresso bikes at the Y.  Somewhere back at the house my daughter and her kids are living in there is a Timex HR monitor from 2012 (can't remember the model).  I might spend the money for another one later this year, after my social security kicks in.

Wondering if anyone  has done a head-to-head comparison of the Under Armor Mapmyride vs Ridewithgps apps.  I have the MapMyFitness app on my phone already and it seems to do the job.  What "benefit" is there to switching to ridewithgps?

My Fitness Pal is pretty good.  Decent list of existing foods plus you can add your own and also recipes, etc.

I also use MyFitnessPal. It's OK. I mostly use it for the "if I don't want to log it maybe I shouldn't put it in my mouth" accountability. It doesn't always work but I try.

2020-02-04 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Long Bike:  55m, 12.02mi, 13.1 mph, Avg HR=119, Max HR 134  -  Okay, a little "scarey". Noticed on the last lap that my arms and legs were stating to tremble. Don't know whether I hit it too hard or whether I was bonking on carbs. I think on long bike days I may have to increase the ratio of Gatorade:Water in my bottle (from 30/70 to 50/50), and maybe start drinking sooner. I didn't drink until I was 50% complete and then again at 100% finished. Perhaps I should drink with each lap completed?
On the plus side, I did manage to stay above 13mph for what I consider to be a fairly difficult course, definitely more challenging than the Speedway track. That bodes well for the Lumberjack, where the hills are (I think) less challenging.  Plus, I'm riding 4 laps of the Alpine Splash, whereas on the Lumberjack I will only have two real hills on the way out and two more on the way back.  If anything, I would say riding the Alpine Splash is actually "over-training".Weight: 365

If you were feeling shaky, you should certainly consider changing something. 

Some things to consider: When was the last meal or snack that you had before your ride? How hydrated were you before your ride? I'd add that info to your training log for Friday along with how you felt on your ride.  Then, this coming Friday, note whatever changes you made and how you felt.  I always think that I'll remember this stuff and I never do!

Drinking earlier and more often is probably a good start. 

2020-02-04 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good job on the bike! but definitely experiment with keeping fueled. Usually for that length you aren't running out of glycogen (guideline is >90 minutes, but you may need sooner given your health) but did you start fasted? Had you eaten before?

Generally i would err on trying to fuel up before the ride more so than during. but again, there's no harm in trying things out. 

2020-02-04 11:10 AM

Hey Mike - congrats on the progress. I have an alternate theory. Might the time in the saddle be pinching a nerve? Perhaps you could play around with shifting your position or even another saddle should the feeling come back. On a 55 minute ride at the HR you reported, you shouldn't need a lot of electrolytes. Just a non-expert, but experienced opinion.
2020-02-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

What "benefit" is there to switching to ridewithgps?

I haven't used other "ride with" apps, but DO pay to use Ride With GPS when I'm riding outdoors because all of my tri club's normal routes are loaded in there. And I've gotten lost a few times before when they've re-surfaced roads and the markers were no longer visible. Ride With GPS uses almost no battery life, when other apps I've used suck the battery dry within a few hours. I like Ride w GPS's turn by turn directions and "head's up" directions (next turn is on your left in 2 miles). I put my phone in my back pocked with the volume on high so I can hear the directions when riding (without ear buds).

My Fitness Pal is amazing for tracking nutrition. You can scan any bar code to have the information immediately populate and build meals/recipes in the app as well. If you're inputting recipes though, you have to comb through what it pulls up because it will pull brands and quantities that a lot of times don't match up with what you have in your pantry - and the differences can be huge. I also recommend weighing everything on a food scale if you're going to put in the effort to track. 

I imagine that the accuracy of any of these phone apps is dependent on the GPS accuracy of your phone.

That being said, I like Ride With GPS for route planning.

2020-02-04 11:20 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I'll join in with others that for that length ride fueling shouldn't be an issue - assuming you had eaten normally that day. The only time i have experienced any type of feeling shaky is when I have done the 4DP fitness test in Sufferfest and it is the result of pushing myself probably beyond my fitness levels. You mention that the course was a difficult one and are happy with having a high mph for that course, so perhaps the shaky is from getting in a nice hard, maybe a bit above your fitness level effort. My .02

2020-02-04 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by lisac957I also recommend weighing everything on a food scale if you're going to put in the effort to track.

Originally posted by melbo55My Fitness Pal is pretty good.  Decent list of existing foods plus you can add your own and also recipes, etc.

Originally posted by jmkizerI also use MyFitnessPal. It's OK. I mostly use it for the "if I don't want to log it maybe I shouldn't put it in my mouth" accountability. It doesn't always work but I try.

Thank you.  +3 for MyFitnessPal, and counting.  In all honesty; tracking, weighing, and measuring were probably the biggest reasons why I left WW's.  That and the monthly costs of course.  With much chagrin, I do have to admit that when I was faithful to those principles I did experience success.

2020-02-04 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by lisac957I like Ride w GPS's turn by turn directions and "head's up" directions (next turn is on your left in 2 miles).

Thank you Lisa.  I went to their website and discovered they have a lot more local gravel routes than I thought were in this area.  Probably won't go for Premium, but I might consider buying the Basic.

2020-02-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I am struggling with JoGo....not doing terrible on the strength/yoga, but my weight is going in the wrong direction....Not for lack of workouts, so likely a result of eating the wrong things. I need to get back on less carbs, but carbs are so easy for snacks (ie toast and PB). So little time right now that meal planning/prep is difficult to do. I'm also struggling with my Seasonal Affective Disorder--low motivation and lack of concentration mostly, thankfully no depressive symptoms (well aside the fact that an Oreo cookie commercial almost had me sobbing on the weekend! )  But its a new week, so, onward!

Yes...meal planning/prep is difficult for me too.  Most days I rush out the door in the morning and if there are leftovers in the frig from the night before I take it with me to eat at lunch and if not the options for buying something on my lunch break are limited to mostly the wrong thing. 

Another thing that I didn't list that may have been a big factor in my weight being down this week was that my wife picked up six (6) Quinoa Cups at the nearest Aldi's 50 miles away on her way home from her doctor's appointment in Dallas two weeks ago.  These Quinoa cups are my new favorite thing.  My wife said they were $0.99 so I am going to need to buy a case of a hundred of them.  They are easy and all the things that I wish I had but don't take time to prepare.  I personally do not cut carbs.  My goal is 70% carbs, 15% protein, 15% fat.  All carbs are not the right things though.  I have to focus on using brown rice in the place of white rice, sweet potatoes in the place of russet potatoes, whole grain bread in the place of white bread (and I am hoping that the next thing my wife brings home is $0.99 teff bread from Aldi's), etc.   The Quinoa Cups are processed food, and I focus on using raw foods to displace processed foods, but I loved these.  What is everyone's favorite or go-to snack for keeping you on target with your triathlon diet? 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-02-04 12:08 PM
2020-02-04 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by jmkizerIf you were feeling shaky, you should certainly consider changing something.  Some things to consider: When was the last meal or snack that you had before your ride? How hydrated were you before your ride? I'd add that info to your training log for Friday along with how you felt on your ride.  Then, this coming Friday, note whatever changes you made and how you felt.  I always think that I'll remember this stuff and I never do!  Drinking earlier and more often is probably a good start.
Janyne, I had tested right at 130 on my wake-up glucose test.  It takes me about 45 minutes from door to bike.  On the way I ate a toasted english muffin with 2 tbsp of peanut butter and drank 16oz of chocolate milk.  I had not drank any water until halfway through the ride.  I really like the idea of adding that sort of info to my training log, would never have thought of that myself.

Originally posted by juniperjenGood job on the bike! but definitely experiment with keeping fueled.  Generally i would err on trying to fuel up before the ride more so than during. but again, there's no harm in trying things out.
My wife generally tries to keep my carb intake to 30g or less for breakfast.  She's taking the diabetes thing pretty serious.  Maybe I'll see if I can get her to add an apple or banana to the breakfast too?

Originally posted by rmschwartz418Just a non-expert, but experienced opinion.
And that is why I was so happy to find an active Mentor group still present on BT.  I value the experience of all you folks who have completed multiple events, especially when I look at the training logs and those svelte photos.

Originally posted by amd723You mention that the course was a difficult one and are happy with having a high mph for that course, so perhaps the shaky is from getting in a nice hard, maybe a bit above your fitness level effort. My .02
Ann-Marie, I  have discovered that the $.02 of most people in this group is worth more like $2.  I will admit to a  little pre-workout trepidation this morning.  this was my first time at this duration on that course.  And let's face it, my fitness level is very basic, having only completed one month of serious training.  Perhaps a 12.5 mph pace, or even a 12 mph pace, would have been more realistic.  But that 21 year old Marine living in the back of my head is always urging me forward.  In retrospect, matching my best 40 minute effort for 55 minutes was probably not my smartest move.

2020-02-04 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Important Gravel Talk!

Apparently BWR has announced an Asheville event on August 30th.  Registration opens February 18. 

I'm hunting down additional info now.

2020-02-04 2:13 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Orlando

Yes...meal planning/prep is difficult for me too.  Most days I rush out the door in the morning and if there are leftovers in the frig from the night before I take it with me to eat at lunch and if not the options for buying something on my lunch break are limited to mostly the wrong thing. 

Another thing that I didn't list that may have been a big factor in my weight being down this week was that my wife picked up six (6) Quinoa Cups at the nearest Aldi's 50 miles away on her way home from her doctor's appointment in Dallas two weeks ago.  These Quinoa cups are my new favorite thing.  My wife said they were $0.99 so I am going to need to buy a case of a hundred of them.  They are easy and all the things that I wish I had but don't take time to prepare.  I personally do not cut carbs.  My goal is 70% carbs, 15% protein, 15% fat.  All carbs are not the right things though.  I have to focus on using brown rice in the place of white rice, sweet potatoes in the place of russet potatoes, whole grain bread in the place of white bread (and I am hoping that the next thing my wife brings home is $0.99 teff bread from Aldi's), etc.   The Quinoa Cups are processed food, and I focus on using raw foods to displace processed foods, but I loved these.  What is everyone's favorite or go-to snack for keeping you on target with your triathlon diet? 

Women need a lot more protein than what you guys can apparently get with! It is also bad for us to work out (long and or intense workouts) in a fasted state, so I have had to come up with small snacks to help me get my protein in and break the fast before my morning workouts. Since I am vegetarian I have a bit more work to do than non-vegetarians to get enough protein. Right now I'm really into Kodiak brand protein muffins. They are pretty tasty so I'm happy to consume a 1/2 one before a swim or full one before a long (or hard) run or bike. They also make a nice late morning or afternoon snack. I too try to stay away from processed food, but convenience sometimes wins out!  I also sometimes make a concoction of peanut butter, rice syrup, protein powder to do the same thing as the muffins. I can use them on a long bike ride too when i need real food.

2020-02-04 2:17 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Women need a lot more protein than what you guys can apparently get with! It is also bad for us to work out (long and or intense workouts) in a fasted state, so I have had to come up with small snacks to help me get my protein in and break the fast before my morning workouts. Since I am vegetarian I have a bit more work to do than non-vegetarians to get enough protein. Right now I'm really into Kodiak brand protein muffins. They are pretty tasty so I'm happy to consume a 1/2 one before a swim or full one before a long (or hard) run or bike. They also make a nice late morning or afternoon snack. I too try to stay away from processed food, but convenience sometimes wins out!  I also sometimes make a concoction of peanut butter, rice syrup, protein powder to do the same thing as the muffins. I can use them on a long bike ride too when i need real food.

My mom has been sick and needs copious amounts of protein. She has really loved the Kodiak products as well as the (refrigerated) Perfect bars. Both are a bit spendy but she's able to tolerate them well.

2020-02-04 2:32 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't know if many of you are aware, but Robin K-C's puppy, Baby Shark, had emergency surgery on Friday.  He got an infection after the previous surgery (to remove the blockage caused by eating mulch).  Baby Shark has returned home.  Robin said that vet insurance save their bank account.

2020-02-04 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I don't know if many of you are aware, but Robin K-C's puppy, Baby Shark, had emergency surgery on Friday.  He got an infection after the previous surgery (to remove the blockage caused by eating mulch).  Baby Shark has returned home.  Robin said that vet insurance save their bank account.

I'm glad he is home! I went through that surgery (not the infection issue) with Gunnar -it is scary and expensive!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127