BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-04 2:04 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by cdban66I find it best to concern myself with the things I can control and let others control that which they can control. In this case, it seems like she cheated and the proper officials have been told. To continue to stalk, intimidate, question, etc is not generating any value, at least for me. I trust (rightly or not) that the proper officials will do the right thing.  Especially since it doesn't affect me.  Anyone can feel free to argue that in the greater universe, all cheating affects all of us. I'm not going to refute the point, I just choose not to get involved. This outlook has kept me blissfully happy in a lot of things, and when I have strayed from that outlook, it hasn't been beneficial.

Vacation is 17 work hours away.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Have fun with OHMON this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-11-04 2:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by popsracer

I was sure humbled yesterday.  A few friends asked me to join them for some CX type riding around the paths and trails during lunch.  I figured I had made pretty good strides on the trainer and it would be a fairly leisurely ride.  Wrong!!  While I probably put in more time than these guys they are younger and more experienced with CX racing.  I kept up OK but I had my heart in my throat more than a few times. 

In reflecting on this, I think I have a tendency to lull myself into a false sense of security because I put in the time but I think I shy too much away from higher intensity work especially on the bike and in the water.  It is rides like this that really expose that.  I guess better a training ride than a race.  I purposely have shied from intensity on my running until I build up more base which I think I have and will start a weekly rep or interval session after the marathon.  I thought I rode pretty intensely on the trainer but wearing a HR monitor on this ride showed that I should be pushing much harder and doing some shorter, higher intensity intervals.

Steve, after I finished my hardtail MTB build, I rolled it out to the local Sate Forest land and rode some of the trails. I was also chased for a few moments by a surprised and angered wild hog.  My HR was fairly high, to say the least, but not solely because of the hog.  It was a completely different experience on a bike than I am used to.  I came away from that with the thought that any different activities (withiin reason) in training can be beneficial.  I'll be out there more during the winter, because of the intensity that came along with it.

Think it's also telling of how different CX & mountain biking are from the more steady state of tri riding. They are far more explosive. Even a lowest level CX or crit racer can still have a quick sprint that is 2-3 times higher than my threshold power was last year. And they can do it repeatedly. We're just generally not trained for those types of efforts.

And that's before considering the skill. Finding lines, absorbing the terrain, keeping focus while working hard. The difference there is enormous. My brother and I have similar sprint  power though anything that lasts a couple minutes or longer I'm substantially stronger with the aerobic system. He easily lead the whole way in a single track mountain bike ride a little while ago simply because I was so out of practice with that. On the roads I can match any sprint of his and simply ride him off the back with longer stronger pulls. He'd been able to ride at lunchtime in a mtb park near his work place a couple times a week whereas the most I'd done the last few years was the the mulit-use bike path.

2015-11-04 2:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by juniperjen

Seriously - how will we ever know! hahahaha! 

So, i think we are all pretty well in line: 

Cheating=bad

But also going to inquire on Facebook is probably more like harrassment. Even if done in a less 'intimidating' way or purely inquiring. That kind of thing is best left to the race directors, officials, etc

Anyway, like Atlantia i am confused/fascinated by AGer who cheat this way. I am not sure how someone 

1. thinks they can get away with it forever

2. can justify that it is worthwhile to do - what is the payoff?? 

I, for one, really am proud of my accomplishments that i have done all on my very own. I will tell you my race times and if you judge me to be fast/slow, worthwhile/not worthwhile that is more of a judgement on you. 

I find it best to concern myself with the things I can control and let others control that which they can control. In this case, it seems like she cheated and the proper officials have been told. To continue to stalk, intimidate, question, etc is not generating any value, at least for me. I trust (rightly or not) that the proper officials will do the right thing.  Especially since it doesn't affect me.  Anyone can feel free to argue that in the greater universe, all cheating affects all of us. I'm not going to refute the point, I just choose not to get involved. This outlook has kept me blissfully happy in a lot of things, and when I have strayed from that outlook, it hasn't been beneficial.

Vacation is 17 work hours away.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Some of that can be fine in certain situations, but have to be careful about it. Trial by internet can very easily and very quickly go too far. Much too far.

2015-11-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, manatees, a difficult to answer question, perhaps, but I'll ask it anyway.  What sort of experience might I expect at the 10K this weekend, considering my lack of run (or bike) training the past 2 months.  Sadly, my logs are completely current.  I'm just not sure what to expect - will it be a sufferfest?  Will it be OK?  Should I attempt the pace I kept last year or go slower?

Last year's Across the Bay 10K time: 1:03:22 (10:12 min/mile) FYI this was/is a 10K PR for me.

I am really wondering if I can get anywhere near this given my recent hiatus from running.  Part of me wants to try, part of me is thinking, "there's no way".  Thoughts from the pod?

Edited to add: I think the last time I ran 4 miles was 4 or so weeks ago, nothing longer since.

I guess this also doubles as a proof of life post, I've been a bit absent in the posting department but have been reading and staying current on the pod goings-on.

Edited by melbo55 2015-11-05 12:59 PM
2015-11-05 1:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by brigby1

I was sure humbled yesterday.  A few friends asked me to join them for some CX type riding around the paths and trails during lunch.  I figured I had made pretty good strides on the trainer and it would be a fairly leisurely ride.  Wrong!!  While I probably put in more time than these guys they are younger and more experienced with CX racing.  I kept up OK but I had my heart in my throat more than a few times. 

In reflecting on this, I think I have a tendency to lull myself into a false sense of security because I put in the time but I think I shy too much away from higher intensity work especially on the bike and in the water.  It is rides like this that really expose that.  I guess better a training ride than a race.  I purposely have shied from intensity on my running until I build up more base which I think I have and will start a weekly rep or interval session after the marathon.  I thought I rode pretty intensely on the trainer but wearing a HR monitor on this ride showed that I should be pushing much harder and doing some shorter, higher intensity intervals.

Steve, after I finished my hardtail MTB build, I rolled it out to the local Sate Forest land and rode some of the trails. I was also chased for a few moments by a surprised and angered wild hog.  My HR was fairly high, to say the least, but not solely because of the hog.  It was a completely different experience on a bike than I am used to.  I came away from that with the thought that any different activities (withiin reason) in training can be beneficial.  I'll be out there more during the winter, because of the intensity that came along with it.

Think it's also telling of how different CX & mountain biking are from the more steady state of tri riding. They are far more explosive. Even a lowest level CX or crit racer can still have a quick sprint that is 2-3 times higher than my threshold power was last year. And they can do it repeatedly. We're just generally not trained for those types of efforts.

And that's before considering the skill. Finding lines, absorbing the terrain, keeping focus while working hard. The difference there is enormous. My brother and I have similar sprint  power though anything that lasts a couple minutes or longer I'm substantially stronger with the aerobic system. He easily lead the whole way in a single track mountain bike ride a little while ago simply because I was so out of practice with that. On the roads I can match any sprint of his and simply ride him off the back with longer stronger pulls. He'd been able to ride at lunchtime in a mtb park near his work place a couple times a week whereas the most I'd done the last few years was the the mulit-use bike path.

Definitely - the specificity is important. I think this very similar with road running vs trail running. I have basically no real dirt trails near me - about 5k in one park but you can only do that so much so I didn't have a good sense of how a trail race would be. I got through it but it was hard. The fitness helps but not nearly enough. 

But maybe if i'd had a wild boar chasing me i would have done better  

2015-11-05 1:05 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, manatees, a difficult to answer question, perhaps, but I'll ask it anyway.  What sort of experience might I expect at the 10K this weekend, considering my lack of run (or bike) training the past 2 months.  Sadly, my logs are completely current.  I'm just not sure what to expect - will it be a sufferfest?  Will it be OK?  Should I attempt the pace I kept last year or go slower?

Last year's Across the Bay 10K time: 1:03:22 (10:12 min/mile) FYI this was/is a 10K PR for me.

I am really wondering if I can get anywhere near this given my recent hiatus from running.  Part of me wants to try, part of me is thinking, "there's no way".  Thoughts from the pod?

Edited to add: I think the last time I ran 4 miles was 4 or so weeks ago, nothing longer since.

I guess this also doubles as a proof of life post, I've been a bit absent in the posting department but have been reading and staying current on the pod goings-on.

I am in the 'give it a go' camp. 6.2 miles is far enough to feel really long when you're under trained but also not far enough that if things blow up you can't recover and make it to the finish.  My thoughts are start at the pace you want to go but have a back up strategy - try running with a pace group if there is one. But then go to something like a run/walk strategy if things get tough. Have it in the back pocket. 

2015-11-05 1:13 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think setting a time expectation would be counter-productive.  I think I'd focus more on setting a pace that will get you through the entire run successfully and finishing with a smile.  I don't know exactly where you were at with training last year compared to this year but given your apprehension I'm guessing you were running more leading up to last years race.  If that is the case it might be pretty touch to PR.  Nothing stopping you from giving it a try though and starting out around 10:10 pace and if that seems too fast be willing to back off.  I think a strong finish and a well paced race overall even if not a PR would be a great win.  The important thing is to enjoy the event. 

2015-11-05 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I think a two week break you wouldn't lose much fitness and might be able to hit the time you had or at least not have much of a sufferfest, but a 2 month break you will lose a good deal of fitness (the exact amount probably depends on many factors) and I believe you would be hard pressed to come close to your PR.  Exactly how much of a sufferfest will depend upon how hard you push it.  If i read your logs correctly, you've had about 2-3 runs in the last month and those were short runs; so, if it were me I'd probably consider the race a training run.  Just go out and get the miles in at a pace that is comfortably hard. 

The main thing is to just have fun!

Edited by amd723 2015-11-05 1:20 PM
2015-11-05 1:57 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks, gang.  Your advice is solid, and in line with what I was thinking my plan should be.  I think there was just a bit of pride involved, not wanting to have a slower time than last year, plus some added pressure of expectations of others or having to explain to others why I am slower than last year.  I'll try to start comfortably (not too fast, more in line with a training pace) and see where it takes me.

And you are very correct, Ann-Marie, the main goal is to have fun with my friends and enjoy the day and the experience, the heck with expectations! 

Edited by melbo55 2015-11-05 1:58 PM
2015-11-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by brigby1

Definitely - the specificity is important. I think this very similar with road running vs trail running. I have basically no real dirt trails near me - about 5k in one park but you can only do that so much so I didn't have a good sense of how a trail race would be. I got through it but it was hard. The fitness helps but not nearly enough. 

But maybe if i'd had a wild boar chasing me i would have done better  

Yeah, running has it to. Specificity of running on trails even though the specifics would be different. Some of the group might remember a trail run I did a couple years ago even though I wasn't that prepared for it. 48:xx time for a 10k on an effort that would have given low 40's on the road (41-42?).  I've had previous experience on trails, enough to be well adapted to them even, so this was entirely expected, but some things still can burn while out there! HR blowing well past threshold even though pace is falling to 11-13 min miles. Staying stable and in control while watching all the roots & rocks.

Another one later in the year went a lot better.

2015-11-05 2:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks, gang.  Your advice is solid, and in line with what I was thinking my plan should be.  I think there was just a bit of pride involved, not wanting to have a slower time than last year, plus some added pressure of expectations of others or having to explain to others why I am slower than last year.  I'll try to start comfortably (not too fast, more in line with a training pace) and see where it takes me.

And you are very correct, Ann-Marie, the main goal is to have fun with my friends and enjoy the day and the experience, the heck with expectations! 

There you go! Just have fun being out there. Not everything needs to be a PR, course record, or better than before.

2015-11-05 4:35 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
DRIVE BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Chris - Enjoy your vacation. I'm jealous so I just booked a few days to FL in January. ANNNNND it happens to be the weekend of the Miami marathon! WOOT! Funny how my vacation is to your state

Melanie - just go and have a great time!

I got to WFH today. Novemer and 67 degrees is UNHEARD of so I snuck out at lunch for a ride. SHORTS and SHORT SLEEVES. CRAZY. Of course this probably means we're getting slammed with snow this winter

Off and running. Good day all. TGIF!
2015-11-05 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

In all reality the only one that probably has expectations for you for this race is yourself (and maybe your coach if you have one). I don't want to sound mean but I find that to be the case most of the time.

I hope you have a great day with your friends
2015-11-05 4:57 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

That was me in my two 10K runs this year... I barely run for about a month before both races. Mainly because I focused on swimming (this was my first year with triathlons) and I figured I knew how to run. It was a poor assumption - I should have run at least few minutes a week. I made it and with one run I was 3 minutes faster than I expected, but I was exhausted and my legs were screaming for help. Although, my mistake was that I was too proud and thought I would do better, even though I trained so little. So I pushed super hard in my first two miles - and guess what, i was exhausted before I got to the middle of the run.

So I will say you can do it and you will do it, just take it easy - try steady, slower pace at the beginning, so you feel better in the middle and at the end. But you are definitely capable of completing it
Good luck and have fun!
Mary
2015-11-05 9:52 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk DRIVE BYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Chris - Enjoy your vacation. I'm jealous so I just booked a few days to FL in January. ANNNNND it happens to be the weekend of the Miami marathon! WOOT! Funny how my vacation is to your state Melanie - just go and have a great time! I got to WFH today. Novemer and 67 degrees is UNHEARD of so I snuck out at lunch for a ride. SHORTS and SHORT SLEEVES. CRAZY. Of course this probably means we're getting slammed with snow this winter Off and running. Good day all. TGIF!

Yeah, 70 3 days this week! Thankfully we turned the clocks back so sunset is like 4:30 now. 

2015-11-06 7:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Thank The Lord the weekend is here. Busy week at work this week.

I hope that you all have a good Friday.

2015-11-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, Colorado
Good morning and happy Friday!
Just stopping by really quickly to say hi and I hope everyone is doing great
Mary
2015-11-06 9:21 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Looks like a lot of drive bys for everyone! Busy busy at work trying to close out for the week. Hope everyone is well!
2015-11-06 9:40 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Happy Friday everyone! I am going on a much needed weekend away. With my sister and a friend. I haven't been away from my little one for a night or two since the summer. We did go for a weekend up to a friend's cottage for the night. We're not going too far away just to a touristy area that's mostly known for skiing (no snow yet) but has lots to do. Particularly the Le Scandinave Spa. YAY! 

But i am going with my long-time running buddy - we've training for 4 of our 5 marathons together so we are sure to log some miles out there. 

2015-11-06 11:53 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Yup, we're sharing the unusually warm for November weather, too - near 77 today is what is predicted. Crazy, but I kinda like it!  

Have a great weekend, everyone.  I will have fun at the 10K and focus on soaking in the experience and a fun day with friends.  

2015-11-06 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ask Ann-Marie about her unusually warm November temps. Ugh.

Enjoy the race, Melanie!!!

2015-11-06 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ask Ann-Marie about her unusually warm November temps. Ugh.

Enjoy the race, Melanie!!!

90* weather with 1% percent humidity!!  Ugh x infinity!!

ok, that may be a little much, but seriously I want some fall temps please and thank you!!

2015-11-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Pretty typical Fall weather around here... 50 degrees and raining.  I'd love some of your warmer temps.  What I really, really hate is getting home from work and having to run in the dark.  I may have to sneak out during lunch a few days a week.

2015-11-06 12:44 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
anyone racing this weekend?
2015-11-06 1:05 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

In all reality the only one that probably has expectations for you for this race is yourself (and maybe your coach if you have one). I don't want to sound mean but I find that to be the case most of the time. I hope you have a great day with your friends

+1

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55207 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67944 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28884 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12239 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67492 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.