BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-02-05 7:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by alaskatri So I've got three events on the horizon that I am thinking of doing. All three are sprint triathlons. The first one is in early May, second one is second week of June, and third one is mid August. The first one is pretty soon - only 12 weeks away. I am nervous about signing on for that one because I don't know if I can really be ready in 12 weeks. I really want to do the second one in June because it's in my hometown, but we are taking a 2 week vacation the last week of May/first week of June, so I'll have some not-so-much-training time in there before it. That is also the reason I want to do the May one - I don't have any time off or any major travel plans between now and then. I may not be fully ready for it but I have the time to push pretty good for the next 12 weeks to get it done. The event only takes 100 people, and looking at the last several years' results there are generally about 20+ people that finish in over two hours. I know all the online advice says don't worry if you come in last, but my competitive nature just really does not want to be last. I think if I put in a decent training schedule for the next 11 1/2 weeks, I should be ok for at least suffering through the event and getting it done.

Well, they do say that it's that last 12 weeks that really count!

I agree with Jayne, those last 12 are the most important to build and execute. I think you have enough time to be prepared for a sprint in May.

2020-02-05 8:25 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

Ann-Marie,

When you registered for ToS, did you add a team or just register as an individual? 

Individual. Are you registering?

Maybe.  I'm still hoping for an Apple TV version (seems unlikely) but mostly I want to see how my PT appt goes next week. If running is still more or less off the table, I might as well ride.

Question for the Sufferlandrians:

Stage 2, Sun 16th Feb: The Bat + Fight Club 2020

I don't see The Bat in the app?  Where would I find it? I see Tempo 5 x 5 and then The Best Thing In the World with no The Bat in between.  Actually, the same with Fight Club 2020.  I see Fight Club but no Fight Club 2020.  I must be missing something.

UPDATE: I went to Training Plans > ToS Stages and I see it listed there.  When I click it, it says "Stay Tuned..."  I'll mess with it on my iPad over the next few days.  I'm traveling for work on Thursday and Friday and that will be a good hotel project.

BAT is a new video that won't be released until right before the tour. Fight Club is being updated - thought i saw that the new version is out, I'm not sure whether they were going to put 2020 after the name. Pretty sure other updated videos did not get any new designation, so what you see with Fight Club is probably the new one.  Hope my rambling makes sense!  

I registered as just me.
Bat is new, but no video yet. I didn't realize they are updating Fight Club (makes me a little nervous) Fight Club is one of my favorites and the first one a rode, actually bought. At that time, they didn't stream videos you had to buy them ala carte and download them preferably on an external hard drive. If you age me much more, I'm going to start talking about floppy disks.
A helpful hint for the tour, each stage can be done from the moment it opens for the first time zone and can complete it at the end of the last time zone. If you hit a time jam, you can normally hit two stages in one day. I've run into that and missed my 24 hour day, but was able to make it up, or pan to do a stage a day early.
By coincidence my neighbor died of ALS last week. He was 64.
2020-02-05 8:32 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Originally posted by abake

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by IronOx

I am struggling with JoGo....not doing terrible on the strength/yoga, but my weight is going in the wrong direction....Not for lack of workouts, so likely a result of eating the wrong things. I need to get back on less carbs, but carbs are so easy for snacks (ie toast and PB). So little time right now that meal planning/prep is difficult to do. I'm also struggling with my Seasonal Affective Disorder--low motivation and lack of concentration mostly, thankfully no depressive symptoms (well aside the fact that an Oreo cookie commercial almost had me sobbing on the weekend! )  But its a new week, so, onward!

Yes...meal planning/prep is difficult for me too.  Most days I rush out the door in the morning and if there are leftovers in the frig from the night before I take it with me to eat at lunch and if not the options for buying something on my lunch break are limited to mostly the wrong thing. 

Another thing that I didn't list that may have been a big factor in my weight being down this week was that my wife picked up six (6) Quinoa Cups at the nearest Aldi's 50 miles away on her way home from her doctor's appointment in Dallas two weeks ago.  These Quinoa cups are my new favorite thing.  My wife said they were $0.99 so I am going to need to buy a case of a hundred of them.  They are easy and all the things that I wish I had but don't take time to prepare.  I personally do not cut carbs.  My goal is 70% carbs, 15% protein, 15% fat.  All carbs are not the right things though.  I have to focus on using brown rice in the place of white rice, sweet potatoes in the place of russet potatoes, whole grain bread in the place of white bread (and I am hoping that the next thing my wife brings home is $0.99 teff bread from Aldi's), etc.   The Quinoa Cups are processed food, and I focus on using raw foods to displace processed foods, but I loved these.  What is everyone's favorite or go-to snack for keeping you on target with your triathlon diet? 

I have not seen those quinoa cups but love the concept!

Planter's men's health or heart health snack packs, bananas, and dark chocolate.
2020-02-06 6:25 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

A few pages ago Janyne asked questions about how gravel rides compare with road rides in terms of speed etc. I had and have no insight into that, but this podcast by Hunter Allen looks to answer that and other questions. It popped up in my email this morning. I haven't listened to it (yet) but the purported topics include how power is different b/w gravel and road, how does cadence compare, how should roadies travel from gravel etc.  Seems like an interesting podcast, especially for those of us thinking about making a move to gravel.

2020-02-06 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

A few pages ago Janyne asked questions about how gravel rides compare with road rides in terms of speed etc. I had and have no insight into that, but this podcast by Hunter Allen looks to answer that and other questions. It popped up in my email this morning. I haven't listened to it (yet) but the purported topics include how power is different b/w gravel and road, how does cadence compare, how should roadies travel from gravel etc.  Seems like an interesting podcast, especially for those of us thinking about making a move to gravel.

Mid-Atlantic GTD is a bit rambling at times. The Hunter Allen episode was quite good. If you are looking at bikes for this sort of thing, I suggest spending some time on the gravelcyclist.com, he does a ton of reviews. You have been warned, the rabbit hole is deep and long.

2020-02-06 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Just wanted to express my thanks to all of you and tell you why I think this group is so fantastic.  A lot of times I feel like I'm stating something totally obvious, especially with all the experience in this group, what with all the HIMs, IMs, and other really long races I see in signature lines or discussions here.  But I learned as a teacher that sometimes what "we" consider to be completely obvious and real DUH question might just be what flips the switch for the person/student asking.  My students all knew better than to ridicule a classmate for what they thought was an obvious DUH.  And I don't recall ever seeing any ridicule or shaming here.

I'm always looking for resources so I spent a little time surfing/scoping out the slowtwitch forums yesterday.  I have seen them mentioned many times and they are supposedly where a lot of BT people go when they leave here.  I was almost immediately struck by what a rude, stuck-up, elitist bunch of (expletive of your choice) they were.  There was one post in particular about why there is a Clydesdale class.  In 7 pages I might have read one or two people who attempted to justify/support Clydes/Athenas, but the overwhelming majority were basically weight shaming and saying "Fatties have no place in races/triathlons.  I would never have dared post in there and certainly would not have expected any kind of supportive or helpful answer.

The Manatees are the kind, supportive type of people I remember from my earlier BT experiences.  You should all give yourselves a pat on the back.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2020-02-06 10:21 AM

2020-02-06 10:50 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

I'm always looking for resources so I spent a little time surfing/scoping out the slowtwitch forums yesterday.  

Yeah that site is a great place to keep tabs on emerging trends/training philosophies/products, what the pros are up to and everything "pointy end" of triathlon. But as you experienced, everything there (even mundane/safe conversations) escalates QUICKLY to the point of bullying and belittling. Too many tough internet guys who have prove everyone wrong and get the last word in. So for me it's more of a site to pop in to see what's going on in the tri world, then roll my eyes, LOL and come back here.

2020-02-06 11:03 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master

Originally posted by lisac957

I'm always looking for resources so I spent a little time surfing/scoping out the slowtwitch forums yesterday.  

Yeah that site is a great place to keep tabs on emerging trends/training philosophies/products, what the pros are up to and everything "pointy end" of triathlon. But as you experienced, everything there (even mundane/safe conversations) escalates QUICKLY to the point of bullying and belittling. Too many tough internet guys who have prove everyone wrong and get the last word in. So for me it's more of a site to pop in to see what's going on in the tri world, then roll my eyes, LOL and come back here.

This. I am amazed by the level of knowitall-ness over there.  

2020-02-06 11:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

I was surfing Manatee training logs just now.  I know I shouldn't be doing comparisons in my head, but I can't help myself.  As I've mentioned before, I have a 21 yr old Marine living in the back of my head and he is totally an overly-competitive Type A personality.  Which brings me to the point of this post.

I clicked over to Laura's website/blog and read her post where she said she hates Zone 2 work, because " ...I really hate to slow down."  I can so relate to that feeling.  I'm curious whether this is a common attitude among triathletes?  Who else has this struggle?

I know it is a huge challenge for me.  I have read about training zones, and I have tried to use them in the past.  In fact, I'm going to try to do it again tomorrow.  My bike is supposed to be 50 minutes on Alpine Splash, but I think I wanted to try to hold back just a little bit this time.  At my age, weight, and very basic level of fitness it doesn't much for me to jump the ticker up to Zone 2 and beyond.  Looking back at my previous Alpine Splash rides I see my Avg HR's have been at 80% or above , with Max HR's reaching well into the 90%+ range.  So tomorrow I am going to try to hold myself back, try to keep my Avg HR somewhere in the 70% range, and hopefully keep my Max HR in the lower 80% range.

My plan is probably going to be reducing gears while still trying to rpm's in the 60's, which seems to be my natural cadence.  Opinions?

2020-02-06 11:28 AM

I was surfing Manatee training logs just now.  I know I shouldn't be doing comparisons in my head, but I can't help myself.  As I've mentioned before, I have a 21 yr old Marine living in the back of my head and he is totally an overly-competitive Type A personality.  Which brings me to the point of this post.

I clicked over to Laura's website/blog and read her post where she said she hates Zone 2 work, because " ...I really hate to slow down."  I can so relate to that feeling.  I'm curious whether this is a common attitude among triathletes?  Who else has this struggle?

I know it is a huge challenge for me.  I have read about training zones, and I have tried to use them in the past.  In fact, I'm going to try to do it again tomorrow.  My bike is supposed to be 50 minutes on Alpine Splash, but I think I wanted to try to hold back just a little bit this time.  At my age, weight, and very basic level of fitness it doesn't much for me to jump the ticker up to Zone 2 and beyond.  Looking back at my previous Alpine Splash rides I see my Avg HR's have been at 80% or above , with Max HR's reaching well into the 90%+ range.  So tomorrow I am going to try to hold myself back, try to keep my Avg HR somewhere in the 70% range, and hopefully keep my Max HR in the lower 80% range.

My plan is probably going to be reducing gears while still trying to rpm's in the 60's, which seems to be my natural cadence.  Opinions?

Being brand new to any kind of consistent training and being way out of shape and having so far to go, I don't pay much attention to the training zones. I wear a HR monitor on bikes/run really just to get a gauge of where I'm at. Most workouts feel like a solid 4, although they are probably only 2 - 3. I have read a bunch of books and training manuals on the subject, and frankly, just decided that I would end up with "paralysis by analysis" if I tried to follow something like that. For now, I'm focusing on run/walk for set time periods, biking for X minutes, and swimming various sets that I establish before getting to the pool, and then always completing the time periods regardless of effort. There are days when I do think "that run yesterday was really awesome, hard, but awesome, I should do that again today." And then realize well that might be kinda dumb, better give it a day before I do another. Haha.

I don't look at the BT training logs so much as scroll through Strava. I definitely don't compare myself to others cause I'd lose that fight every time. But I absolutely love checking out other manatees' numbers. I love seeing Ann-Marie's posts with Teddy the Griff, and seeing Jen post sub 2-minute swims of 3000 yards, and all the others. It is honestly awe inspiring for me.
2020-02-06 11:35 AM

Forgot to respond to this line. I find the cadence question fascinating. When I first started reading up on biking and saw that ideally you should run somewhere around 90 rpm on cadence, I thought that was crazy. Then I tried it and thought yep, I was right, that is insane. It felt more "natural" to me to be at 70-75ish. But a good friend of mine swears by the higher rpm's, and gave me a quick explanation of slow twitch muscles, etc. (way over my head). So my last couple of rides I really worked to keep my rpm's up around 85-90. I find that it is a bit harder on the lungs, but man I tell ya, my legs felt way better. Pushing at the lower rpms burn my legs up quicker, but once I got into a groove of higher rpms, my legs felt like they could just keep going. I realized that at the lower rpms it was just that - pushing - rather than riding. At the higher rpms, my lungs were the limiting factor and felt like they were definitely getting worked good, which I knew I needed. All of that to say I'm new at this, getting used to using clipless pedals for efficiency, etc., but I found that even though the higher rpms feel less natural, it really does seem to work well over the length of the ride.

2020-02-06 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

On the run i have a real problem doing zone 2 (pace) stuff bc I feel like it throws off my form and takes forever, on the swim i don't think  about zones bc i am not a good enough swimmer to have them! On the bike, I'm more ok with using zones. So, basically I'm all messed up! But, really when we work out we should try to stay out of the gray zones bc that zone is of no real benefit, so a hard workout should be hard and an easy workout easy - almost embarrassingly easy.  Since i am bad at this this is a Do As I Say Not As I Do post!

2020-02-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri

Being brand new to any kind of consistent training and being way out of shape and having so far to go, I don't pay much attention to the training zones. I wear a HR monitor on bikes/run really just to get a gauge of where I'm at. Most workouts feel like a solid 4, although they are probably only 2 - 3. I have read a bunch of books and training manuals on the subject, and frankly, just decided that I would end up with "paralysis by analysis" if I tried to follow something like that. For now, I'm focusing on run/walk for set time periods, biking for X minutes, and swimming various sets that I establish before getting to the pool, and then always completing the time periods regardless of effort. There are days when I do think "that run yesterday was really awesome, hard, but awesome, I should do that again today." And then realize well that might be kinda dumb, better give it a day before I do another. Haha. I don't look at the BT training logs so much as scroll through Strava. I definitely don't compare myself to others cause I'd lose that fight every time. But I absolutely love checking out other manatees' numbers. I love seeing Ann-Marie's posts with Teddy the Griff, and seeing Jen post sub 2-minute swims of 3000 yards, and all the others. It is honestly awe inspiring for me.

Thanks! Teddy the Griff loves sharing his runs . But, to your point, I agree comparing ourselves to others generally only leads to frustration!

I like seeing people's strava and BT logs so I can keep up with them and get some pointers!

2020-02-06 11:48 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by lisac957

Yes ^^^^ this.
2020-02-06 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by leatherneckpa My plan is probably going to be reducing gears while still trying to rpm's in the 60's, which seems to be my natural cadence.  Opinions?
Forgot to respond to this line. I find the cadence question fascinating. When I first started reading up on biking and saw that ideally you should run somewhere around 90 rpm on cadence, I thought that was crazy. Then I tried it and thought yep, I was right, that is insane. It felt more "natural" to me to be at 70-75ish. But a good friend of mine swears by the higher rpm's, and gave me a quick explanation of slow twitch muscles, etc. (way over my head). So my last couple of rides I really worked to keep my rpm's up around 85-90. I find that it is a bit harder on the lungs, but man I tell ya, my legs felt way better. Pushing at the lower rpms burn my legs up quicker, but once I got into a groove of higher rpms, my legs felt like they could just keep going. I realized that at the lower rpms it was just that - pushing - rather than riding. At the higher rpms, my lungs were the limiting factor and felt like they were definitely getting worked good, which I knew I needed. All of that to say I'm new at this, getting used to using clipless pedals for efficiency, etc., but I found that even though the higher rpms feel less natural, it really does seem to work well over the length of the ride.

Re run cadence, i sometimes repeat to myself "kick feet, little feet". That helps with turnover and not overstriding. On the bike, in general, pure cyclist will have a higher RPM than triathletes bc they don't have to run after biking! But too low a cadence for triathletes will burn your legs out pretty quickly, so there is a happy medium to find. If you practice riding at higher cadence it becomes more natural. I don't remember if you use Sufferfeset or not, if so, the Cadence Builds workout is great for this.

2020-02-06 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by alaskatri:  Being brand new to any kind of consistent training and being way out of shape and having so far to go...
I am right there with you brother.  We just need to enjoy the journey.

Originally posted by alaskatri:  seeing Jen post sub 2-minute swims of 3000 yards, and all the others. It is honestly awe inspiring for me.
40 yrs ago when I was racing in college, maybe.  (Good grief, has it really been that long!?)  Today, I'm not even interested in going sub-2.  I do however hope to hit 2:00 for my race pace this summer.

2020-02-06 12:24 PM

I don't remember if you use Sufferfeset or not, if so, the Cadence Builds workout is great for this.

I did the trial period and really liked it. Now I am in the Zwift trial period. I think it's fine, but I think the workouts in TS will do better for me at least at this point than Zwift, so I am probably going to subscribe later this week and just run on that for a while. I started with the Open rides on there, but will definitely keep the Cadence Builds in mind.
2020-02-06 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Being brand new to any kind of consistent training and being way out of shape and having so far to go, I don't pay much attention to the training zones. I wear a HR monitor on bikes/run really just to get a gauge of where I'm at. Most workouts feel like a solid 4, although they are probably only 2 - 3. I have read a bunch of books and training manuals on the subject, and frankly, just decided that I would end up with "paralysis by analysis" if I tried to follow something like that. For now, I'm focusing on run/walk for set time periods, biking for X minutes, and swimming various sets that I establish before getting to the pool, and then always completing the time periods regardless of effort. There are days when I do think "that run yesterday was really awesome, hard, but awesome, I should do that again today." And then realize well that might be kinda dumb, better give it a day before I do another. Haha. I don't look at the BT training logs so much as scroll through Strava. I definitely don't compare myself to others cause I'd lose that fight every time. But I absolutely love checking out other manatees' numbers. I love seeing Ann-Marie's posts with Teddy the Griff, and seeing Jen post sub 2-minute swims of 3000 yards, and all the others. It is honestly awe inspiring for me.

Just so you know, you can follow Teddy on Strava as well.  He's very insightful.

2020-02-06 4:35 PM

Just so you know, you can follow Teddy on Strava as well.  He's very insightful.

Yeppers, I already follow him. :-)
2020-02-06 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

2020-02-06 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Teddy says thanks for the support!

2020-02-06 9:21 PM

User image

Expert

HaHa, in the back of my head is a 21 year old Coastie, who loved being the fastest guy in his unit. When I returned to running after a 15 year hiatus from all things exercise, my head went right back to that kid. Every run was as hard and as fast as I could go. The problem was my 40+ year old body did not have the same bounce back as my 20 year old body.
The moderator of my first mentor group was a big proponent of the Maffetone method (The Big Yellow Book of Endurance Training). basic idea, is keep your HR below 180-age for most workouts. There is more to it, but that is the basic formula (PSA Phil Maffetone is full of some BS). It killed me to run sooooo slow. By going slower you can go longer and build more strength and a better aerobic capacity. You want to build a diesel engine. I've been doing this for about 10 years. I rarely get hurt and have not lost speed. You need those Zone 2 workouts even if boring and painfully slow.

I think the Clydesdale's and Athena's are some of the best athletes out there. I am amazed by those classes of athletes and what they accomplish.You cannot think that because they are bigger that they will be slower and I can guarantee they are stronger,
2020-02-07 4:32 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Thank you for the link!
2020-02-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Pennsylvania

Non-triathlon related post.  Today our local news station reported someone found a 15 foot dead python in the woods in York county (just SW of me).  Uh, yeah...pythons cannot survive PA winters - this isn't Florida!  Which is a good thing, FL has more than it's share of pythons these days.  As much as I feel bad for the dead snake here, I had to half chuckle thinking, "What knucklehead really thought this creature could survive outside here?!"  They would've been better off taking it to a local zoo or reptile house, at least the snake would've lived.  Imagine coming across that thing while MTB or trail running?!

2020-02-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Non-triathlon related post.  Today our local news station reported someone found a 15 foot dead python in the woods in York county (just SW of me).  Uh, yeah...pythons cannot survive PA winters - this isn't Florida!  Which is a good thing, FL has more than it's share of pythons these days.  As much as I feel bad for the dead snake here, I had to half chuckle thinking, "What knucklehead really thought this creature could survive outside here?!"  They would've been better off taking it to a local zoo or reptile house, at least the snake would've lived.  Imagine coming across that thing while MTB or trail running?!

Python removal is kind of a big deal among a certain kind of Floridian. Here's a little info from the SFWMD:

Python Elimination Program
The South Florida Water Management District Governing Board is taking aggressive action to protect the Everglades and eliminate invasive pythons from its public lands. Starting in March 2017, the Python Elimination Program incentivizes a limited number of public-spirited individuals to humanely euthanize these destructive snakes, which have become an apex predator in the Everglades. The program provides access to python removal agents on designated SFWMD lands in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier, Hendry and Palm Beach counties.Each python removal agent was provided with procedural instruction and field identification guides. Access has been given to SFWMD lands in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier and Palm Beach counties. Python removal agents will be paid:

• A minimum wage hourly rate up to 10 hours daily. Time spent searching for pythons on SFWMD lands must be verified by a GPS tracking app installed on each python removal agent's iOS or Android mobile device.
  • An additional incentive payment of $50 for each python measuring up to 4 feet plus an extra $25 for each foot measured above 4 feet. In the example below, an 8-foot python would pay out $150.
  • An additional $200 for each eliminated python found guarding "nests" with eggs.

So, your 15 footer would be worth $325 if found in the Everglades. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127