BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-11-10 11:25 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Hi manatees!

I am back from my lovely girls' weekend. We went to Le Scandinave Spa which is a super awesome place. If you do Tremblant, or Whistler I HIGHLY recommend going - i did IMMT 3 years ago and passed it 4 times on the bike but i didn't go. I kept thinking 'I should go there' but didn't. anyway, i went to the one that's closest to me and it was awesome! Who knew that hanging out outside in November around hot tubs, a sauna, a eucalyptus steam room would be so great! It really was. Did i say it was great yet?? 

I did a run while there which was also lovely. We were staying in a small town that is pretty outdoorsy so we were on great trails and saw a downed log from a beaver and later saw a bunny hopping around. We also went to a cidery not too far out of the city that was great. All in all just lovely

I did miss swimming last night - i was super tired and fell asleep right after my daughter went down at 8. Apparently i needed it. 

Glad to see everyone is okay despite some tough races, some spills and the drudgery of the treadmill ... 

2015-11-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Logged 9 mi on a treadmill last night.  It begins.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  It was just a matter of putting the time in.

Only disconcerting thing was the muscled up, tatted guy walking next to me who randomly hurled f-bombs every few minutes for no apparent reason.

It would have been more disconcerting if it had been a teeny little powder-puff of a grandma hurling f-bombs! :D

OMG that made me giggle to visualize!!  :D 

2015-11-10 11:37 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hi manatees!

I am back from my lovely girls' weekend. We went to Le Scandinave Spa which is a super awesome place. If you do Tremblant, or Whistler I HIGHLY recommend going - i did IMMT 3 years ago and passed it 4 times on the bike but i didn't go. I kept thinking 'I should go there' but didn't. anyway, i went to the one that's closest to me and it was awesome! Who knew that hanging out outside in November around hot tubs, a sauna, a eucalyptus steam room would be so great! It really was. Did i say it was great yet?? 

I did a run while there which was also lovely. We were staying in a small town that is pretty outdoorsy so we were on great trails and saw a downed log from a beaver and later saw a bunny hopping around. We also went to a cidery not too far out of the city that was great. All in all just lovely

I did miss swimming last night - i was super tired and fell asleep right after my daughter went down at 8. Apparently i needed it. 

Glad to see everyone is okay despite some tough races, some spills and the drudgery of the treadmill ... 

This sounds Ah-May-ZING!!  

2015-11-10 12:00 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I can certainly relate to the undercooked chicken and cannot imagine an HIM like that.  I've spent the last day and half dealing with something similar.  Was very miserable yesterday and just now starting to feel better.  Bright side - it made me take a complete day off which is really what I needed.

First frost of the season this morning.  Not quite ready for that.

2015-11-10 12:05 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Hi manatees!

Sounds like a great time.  I had to check out their location at Whistler as we will be there next month.  My wife is a spa addict.  Maybe I'll send her there while I settle into my favorite watering hole for an afternoon.

2015-11-10 12:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  It was just a matter of putting the time in.

Only disconcerting thing was the muscled up, tatted guy walking next to me who randomly hurled f-bombs every few minutes for no apparent reason.

Wow! I can barely do 9 minutes on treadmill... 9 miles is on my list for tortures
Great job!
Mary

2015-11-10 12:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Hi manatees!

So anyway, was it great...?
jk
I'm glad you had fun!
Mary
2015-11-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by marysia83

Wow! I can barely do 9 minutes on treadmill... 9 miles is on my list for tortures Great job! Mary

Yeah, 9 miles on the treadmill does not sound fun to me.  Way worse than time on the trainer.  The only time I ever use a treadmill is if I'm out of town and in an area where I can't really run.  I don't know why but I have a tendency to misstep.  Very embarrassing if you are in an exercise facility with a lot of people in there to go flying out the back end of the stupid thing.

Edited by popsracer 2015-11-10 12:51 PM
2015-11-10 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Hi manatees!

My friend recently relocated to Vancouver, and she has been after me to come visit and to the Scandanave in Whistler. Sounds divine! I'm so glad you had a nice time.
2015-11-10 1:19 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by popsracer

Wow! I can barely do 9 minutes on treadmill... 9 miles is on my list for tortures Great job! Mary

Yeah, 9 miles on the treadmill does not sound fun to me.  Way worse than time on the trainer.  The only time I ever use a treadmill is if I'm out of town and in an area where I can't really run.  I don't know why but I have a tendency to misstep.  Very embarrassing if you are in an exercise facility with a lot of people in there to go flying out the back end of the stupid thing.

It is definitely lower than a trainer ride.  I always try to grab the ESPN tv at the gym, but even that isn't that interesting for runs over an hour.  But there's really no good place to run outside.  That or I'm a wimp.  Hey, it was cold and rainy! And dark!

2015-11-10 1:45 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V68SMFrpFt8#action=share

This just in...

Bahahahaha! That was awesome. "Otherwise....just go for a long run."

2015-11-10 3:37 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Just saw this and had to share.  #covertheathlete

2015-11-10 3:40 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V68SMFrpFt8#action=share

This just in...

Bahahahaha! That was awesome. "Otherwise....just go for a long run."

This was awesome

2015-11-10 4:06 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by popsracer

When I do treadmill, I cover the screen, so I don't see how (not)far I'm going. Otherwise I would get very depressed.

Funny story: remember all those funny videos when people fall of the treadmill? I thought there was no way to fall off, how the hell did they do that... Until one beautiful day I am doing my treadmill workout and decided to close my eyes. The idea was that maybe if I imagine I run through the field, a meadow full of wonderful flowers, and all those fairy tales... maybe it will be easier to run on this damn thing. I closed my eyes, everything was great, angel chorus, sunny day, etc. I thought I would stop holding the bars with my hands. The moment I was not holding it I lost the idea of where I was on the treadmill and I did my epic fall.... Thankfully the thing stopped (thank you for the magnetic chip!) I had no idea of what had happened - I had a wall behind me that apparently stopped me from making it even more epic. My foot was bleeding. My kids had fear on their faces. I was trying to pretend nothing had happened, but inside I was not sure if I should have cried or laughed at myself. One thing I know for sure: I will never make fun of funny accidents at the gym
Mary
2015-11-10 4:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Awesome. I think it's great to ask the guys those questions LOL! But seriously, having been an athlete pretty much all my life, I do find it offensive. Even Ironman, even their own show but especially the NBC coverage--watch how many times they talk about women's body size, weight, etc. when it's really not relevant. Okay, we know Rinny's short, already! I can see that occasionally that might be relevant when talking about how an athlete is affected by conditions like wind, heat, etc. But it's usually not in that context. The best was, I think last year, when the commentator had to backtrack from something he said, and actually said about Rinny, "I'm not saying she has a big butt or anything...." Can you imagine that comment about, say, Jan Frodeno? (Who, by the way, is kind of a weird shape!)
2015-11-10 6:15 PM

Master
Northern IL

What kind of things are you trying to do with the run itself? Breaking it into smaller bits can help. A lot. Hard runs will have that by way of intervals. On longer ones I usually progress some too, like 1/10th at a time. You can make slight changes on easy runs too. I'll change the grade and/or the speed by a touch every few minutes. Again with 1/10th or a few up or down maybe every 3-5 minutes. Grade maybe by a percent, or a few. It's fine if you just bounce back and forth too. This helps to break it up mentally and give you a little something to look forward too. It can also help how well you are running as you are doing something different every now and then, if ever so slightly. It's really easy to have your body start sagging some throughout the course of a run like this and not notice because it's so slow and steady.

Getting some action on the TV helps. Sports have been best for me. Shows work, but at the gym they've tended to be more tame. Best has been when they have the subtitles on and I bring my own music to. Something with a little energy to it helps. Not necessarily Energy Music as a category itself, but should help you want to pick up an extra step. I know music is really personal so I hope it's understood that many really misunderstand that part. Look at what the music you use is good for, not just "good" in general. What feelings or emotional response does it elicit when you hear it. Happy is good, but there is peaceful & quiet happy like sitting on a bench looking out over the view, and there is up and at it wanting to do things.

2015-11-10 9:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

What kind of things are you trying to do with the run itself? Breaking it into smaller bits can help. A lot. Hard runs will have that by way of intervals. On longer ones I usually progress some too, like 1/10th at a time. You can make slight changes on easy runs too. I'll change the grade and/or the speed by a touch every few minutes. Again with 1/10th or a few up or down maybe every 3-5 minutes. Grade maybe by a percent, or a few. It's fine if you just bounce back and forth too. This helps to break it up mentally and give you a little something to look forward too. It can also help how well you are running as you are doing something different every now and then, if ever so slightly. It's really easy to have your body start sagging some throughout the course of a run like this and not notice because it's so slow and steady.

Getting some action on the TV helps. Sports have been best for me. Shows work, but at the gym they've tended to be more tame. Best has been when they have the subtitles on and I bring my own music to. Something with a little energy to it helps. Not necessarily Energy Music as a category itself, but should help you want to pick up an extra step. I know music is really personal so I hope it's understood that many really misunderstand that part. Look at what the music you use is good for, not just "good" in general. What feelings or emotional response does it elicit when you hear it. Happy is good, but there is peaceful & quiet happy like sitting on a bench looking out over the view, and there is up and at it wanting to do things.

It was just an LSD getting ready for a HM.  Nothing special.  No need to break it into smaller bits.  Though, interesting fact, the treadmills shut themselves off after an hour.  Always throws me.  FIGURATIVELY.

But yeah, there are TVs.  I try to get one on sports so I can avoid the housewives of wherever.

2015-11-11 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I detest treadmills, not least because I can't really watch a video or TV while running on them without getting pretty major vertigo. No idea why--I don't have this issue when I ride the trainer. Maybe because there's some up and down motion with running? Unless I hang on, if I try to watch anything, I am going to slide right off the back.

Even without vertigo, there's just something about the whole treadmill run experience--somehow for me, running has always been a quiet, individual pursuit. All that pounding of my feet and others, the whir of the machines, everyone around me sweating and breathing, bad music at the gym--ugh! I only run on the treadmill if the ONLY other option is no run. I think the last three times were due to nearby lightning and heavy rain (twice) and once some GI issues that made me reluctant to be more than a minute from the bathroom! Have run on the treadmill I think once in the past year, if that. (There are a few advantages to living in a tropical country!)
2015-11-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Adrienne, how is the Subaru?

AMAZING! I  LOVE it.

I had mentioned I am not really a big car gal. But that beautiful sound of the boxer engine makes me smile every time! It's also been exceptional on the back roads. I didn't think it would be a big difference (in clearance) from my Jetta but it really is. I've only gotten to test in a little snow. I am hoping this will be a better year for that. Why do you ask?

2015-11-11 11:55 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by IronOx

Just saw this and had to share.  #covertheathlete

Jeee-sus. 

2015-11-11 11:56 AM

Master
Northern IL

AMAZING! I  LOVE it.

I had mentioned I am not really a big car gal. But that beautiful sound of the boxer engine makes me smile every time! It's also been exceptional on the back roads. I didn't think it would be a big difference (in clearance) from my Jetta but it really is. I've only gotten to test in a little snow. I am hoping this will be a better year for that. Why do you ask?

The tires will still matter, but it can still take off rather quick with the snow!

2015-11-11 12:03 PM

User image

Seattle

Hi manatees!

Rad!!!! 

We just got back from Iceland.

We went to the Blue Lagoon 

and a couple other hot springs (which were a little more my style as they were less touristy and remote)

This is a geothermal spring fed pool, situated on the shoulder of Eyjafjallajökull. You had to hike through this beautiful river valley to get to it.

It was maybe 90-95 degrees and after having been in a cascading waterfall and fallen into the river while attempting to cross, it felt AMAZING.

2015-11-11 12:06 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

AMAZING! I  LOVE it.

The tires will still matter, but it can still take off rather quick with the snow!

Yeah for sure.

You know what is funny, speaking of tired and snow. Given the clearance, it is actually not recommended that you put chains on it yet here in winter to get into the national park, you are required to carry chains. So I have some, only 2 (even though it is AWD) but I can't really use them.

2015-11-11 12:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner I detest treadmills, not least because I can't really watch a video or TV while running on them without getting pretty major vertigo. No idea why--I don't have this issue when I ride the trainer. Maybe because there's some up and down motion with running? Unless I hang on, if I try to watch anything, I am going to slide right off the back. Even without vertigo, there's just something about the whole treadmill run experience--somehow for me, running has always been a quiet, individual pursuit. All that pounding of my feet and others, the whir of the machines, everyone around me sweating and breathing, bad music at the gym--ugh! I only run on the treadmill if the ONLY other option is no run. I think the last three times were due to nearby lightning and heavy rain (twice) and once some GI issues that made me reluctant to be more than a minute from the bathroom! Have run on the treadmill I think once in the past year, if that. (There are a few advantages to living in a tropical country!)

Look at the points of contact you have. The bike has five, 3 stable (hands & seat) and 2 in a fixed path of motion (feet). Running has 2 but they alternate, so generally not more than one at any point in time. Have zero quite frequently as you leave the ground between steps. Each step has to accomplish a lot more for both balance and maintaining position on the treadmill than anything (everything really) done on the trainer. You have to actively maintain your position to your surroundings while the belt is moving under you. Plus you have to keep yourself upright without having a stationary pushoff or hold point. Can you watch while walking on the treadmill?

2015-11-11 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

AMAZING! I  LOVE it.

Yeah for sure.

You know what is funny, speaking of tired and snow. Given the clearance, it is actually not recommended that you put chains on it yet here in winter to get into the national park, you are required to carry chains. So I have some, only 2 (even though it is AWD) but I can't really use them.

What are these chains things of which you speak?  We are getting a break in our horrible weather this week - today the high is only 82 and humidity only around 60%!! Of course, by the morning it will be 100% humidity again, but yay today!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 54784 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67358 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28415 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11974 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66880 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.