BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-12 2:44 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by rrrunner I can see how some participants might feel there is an * next to their IM finish with this one. Granted, you race what you are given and it is still a heck of an accomplishment!!!!!!!!! However, if it were me I don't know if I'd still sport the 140.6 stuff.  DH and I were talking about it and he joked about having the M-dot tattoo 90% filled in.
I can see how some people would feel the * as well, but to me, you race the course you're given. IMMD had a shortened swim in 2015 after being rescheduled. And Chatt always has a long bike course (what is it...116?) even though the medal still says 112. I think the part about TX that really frosts my butt this year is the way they've handled everything. People talk about being willing to pay big bucks for the IM brand race b/c they know it will be a good event....but this year's IMTX is not making a good impression.

WTC and the municipalities have been behaving like children and leaving the athletes caught in the middle. I'd wear the event gear.

2016-05-12 2:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by rrrunner I can see how some participants might feel there is an * next to their IM finish with this one. Granted, you race what you are given and it is still a heck of an accomplishment!!!!!!!!! However, if it were me I don't know if I'd still sport the 140.6 stuff.  DH and I were talking about it and he joked about having the M-dot tattoo 90% filled in.
I can see how some people would feel the * as well, but to me, you race the course you're given. IMMD had a shortened swim in 2015 after being rescheduled. And Chatt always has a long bike course (what is it...116?) even though the medal still says 112. I think the part about TX that really frosts my butt this year is the way they've handled everything. People talk about being willing to pay big bucks for the IM brand race b/c they know it will be a good event....but this year's IMTX is not making a good impression.

WTC and the municipalities have been behaving like children and leaving the athletes caught in the middle. I'd wear the event gear.

One of my HIMs had the swim cancelled b/c of hurricane Sandy.  I still wear the finishers shirt! Of course, I also wear the shirts for a couple of HMs that I had to DNS b/c of injury/surgery, so obviously I don't have a strict code about shirt/gear   

2016-05-12 3:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

I have to admit, I would be PO'd about IM Texas if I was registered.  Obviously they can't do anything about the flooding but the rest of it could have been handled differently.  I just don't understand how it can be called IM (or a 70.3) if the distances are short (or long, as Calgary was the year I did it).   I know for Victoria 70.3 last year, I was really annoyed because, the maps said 86km, my Garmin said 88km and the medal says 90.1km.  For the run, the map and medal say 21.1, the splits on IM tracker said 20km, my Garmin said 20.8.  I get that GPS systems can be off some, but for the bike the map and the medal are completely different.  So 1. How do I know how far I really went and 2. If I got in on a slot (no chance, but if) how would I feel about that?  It shouldn't matter to me, but it would. 

So, all that being said I certainly don't take anything away from the athletes: I figure if you toe the start line prepared for 140.6 and you complete the race presented, you have completed an Ironman.  Have fun, race well and cross the finish line arms raised and smiling!

2016-05-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

I have to admit, I would be PO'd about IM Texas if I was registered.  Obviously they can't do anything about the flooding but the rest of it could have been handled differently.  I just don't understand how it can be called IM (or a 70.3) if the distances are short (or long, as Calgary was the year I did it).   I know for Victoria 70.3 last year, I was really annoyed because, the maps said 86km, my Garmin said 88km and the medal says 90.1km.  For the run, the map and medal say 21.1, the splits on IM tracker said 20km, my Garmin said 20.8.  I get that GPS systems can be off some, but for the bike the map and the medal are completely different.  So 1. How do I know how far I really went and 2. If I got in on a slot (no chance, but if) how would I feel about that?  It shouldn't matter to me, but it would. 

So, all that being said I certainly don't take anything away from the athletes: I figure if you toe the start line prepared for 140.6 and you complete the race presented, you have completed an Ironman.  Have fun, race well and cross the finish line arms raised and smiling!

Agreed!

I'd been thinking that WTC worked well with Boulder back in 2014 when it had to be re-routed because of flooding but I realized that they had nearly a year between the flooding and the event.

2016-05-12 4:21 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by IronOx

Agreed!

I'd been thinking that WTC worked well with Boulder back in 2014 when it had to be re-routed because of flooding but I realized that they had nearly a year between the flooding and the event.

The fact of the matter is that many feel that the 112 mile bike course which utilized a bike path (since flooded) was not viable to start with.  The flooding exacerbated the problem.

2016-05-12 5:18 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Tomorrow is the kids tri for which I volunteer each year. I'm looking forward to it. It's so much fun to watch the kids race, even worth dealing with the 'rents

I also just volunteered to help out at a local ultra next weekend. That should also be fun. The ultra community is soooo laid back!!!

ETA: Sixlets and coffee can be lunch, right? I REALLY need to get back to training!

I don't know what sixlets are, but coffee and anything can be lunch!

Nice of you to do all that volunteering! I agree, the ultra and trail community is really cool! 

Hands, is The Google not working for you?

sixlets

P.S. TJ, "gluten free" means it's healthy, right?

so, M&Ms without the M!

that's what I was thinking

2016-05-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Dilemma of the month (and the month has just started... ehh...): SWIM COACH. I would love to have a swim coach for gazzilion number of reasons. Somebody I really trust in the field of triathlon and long-distance swimming recommended me this woman a while ago and I am dreaming of getting the training with her. But... The cost of one hour is $90. My understanding is I would need at least three meet-ups and probably at least 2-3 follow ups. So that's ~$450. I am taking my kids to Poland for a vacation this summer and it will be pretty costly (you don't wanna know how much I had to pay for airfare... :/) My car is acting funky and if I need another repair - here comes another cost. I am on single income and already spent tons of money just for races' registrations. So no, I do not have another $300+ in my budget for something that I *might* need. At the same time... I am trying to figure out if maybe I should suck it up and try somehow to have those lessons/training. Yes, I can do it next year, but I was thinking that since I am just learning freestyle, it would be great to learn proper technique from the very beginning. My goal this year is 1,500 m of Oly distance. I currently swim at 2:30 min/100y. According to my research and "strategy plan" I will be able to make the distance, and worst case scenario: I will switch styles with breast and back, and finish swim in over 45 minutes. So it's not catastrophic. But then, if she helps me - then she would help me for life and that's priceless. Or am I being too romantic...? Let me know what you think. Especially those of you who are coaches (Yanti!!!). If i should post a details of the trainer I am talking about, please let me know. Thanks, as always, for your feedback!

Hi Mary. The group idea does sound like a good option, if possible. Also wondering if you had considered a masters program? There is one based right in Northwestern and others all over the place between there and Chicago. The Illinois site is here. The NW specific one is here. For the few places I've looked at (and the one I've been in) they tend to be ~$100 for a 3 month block, or averaging something like $30-35/month. The one I went to had a couple All-America level swimmers or AAAA motivation times, but also worked with some swimming 3:00+/100. We swam at speed appropriate for where we were at and people got along great across the board. The coach was great, taking any questions before practice, during the early goings and afterward. It's not 1 on 1, but could still get a fair amount of attention. Other places can vary from this, but it is possible to get some good coaching from them.

Another name I've heard come highly recommended is Mary Bradbury, although pricing may go back up to what you had found if that's not who you were looking at already. I haven't worked with her at all, but a recommendation from ST's deserdude is often good enough to check out.

Hi Ben, thanks so much for all the helpful and valuable information. The Northwestern Masters Swim is what I was looking at, because they practice in the same pool I swim during my lunch break so super convenient! I am trying to talk to the coach, but apparently she keeps running away from me. I talked to one of the ladies in the locker room to get some details and her overall opinion, and she said they usually do around 4k and I should be around 2k if I want to join.... I still thought I should talk to the instructor and just explain her where I am and how the workout would look like with a newbie in the group. Janyne has also encouraged me explaining the master class is not only for pros Apparently I was under the impression that the coach is the go-to person for working on the form, and the Masters' class to work on speed and/or endurance. I was wrong

Yeah, both of those can depend a lot on the person running things, and can really include both! Another look at the NW page and the sessions are about 90 minutes each. The 4k makes sense there as the one I went to would get 4-5k in the longer 90 minute session. The others were 1 hr, so more like 2600-3200 or so depending on what we did. At your current ability, you'll just get in what you can, possibly having a slightly reduced set. When I first started looking at this masters, the coach did respond, but not in great detail. Maybe something like you're seeing? I think she just wanted to know people would get in the water. Then work with what she sees. Didn't really need life stories. Just new to swimming or not quite sure of where I was at was good enough. I had to start swimming and then she could help out more as she could get her own perspective on things. Situations for more detail would be some impairment or possible disability to work with (being a triathlete isn't really one  . Like my recent shoulder injury. She would want to know some about that if I get back into it, mostly to be aware of it. Any other training to that point was a bit more yeah, yeah, yeah, get in the water and get going. 

2016-05-13 8:07 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

Tomorrow is the kids tri for which I volunteer each year. I'm looking forward to it. It's so much fun to watch the kids race, even worth dealing with the 'rents

I also just volunteered to help out at a local ultra next weekend. That should also be fun. The ultra community is soooo laid back!!!

ETA: Sixlets and coffee can be lunch, right? I REALLY need to get back to training!

Nice of you to do all that volunteering! I agree, the ultra and trail community is really cool! 

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

They were a Halloween staple in my neighborhood.
2016-05-13 8:43 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping after it.  I don't often mention my younger sister.  She is mentally, physically, and emotionally challenged.  She has been the source of quite a bit of our attention lately, as my parents age. We are working on a future housing option.  When you mix together the variety of organizations and the needs they have before taking care of someone, well, it can be an endurance event of a whole different manner. So, while I have been somewhat less than engaged lately, it has been for a good reason. 

Enjoy the weekend, no matter what it may bring and at some point I hope you all take a moment to look around and appreciate what you have in your life, be it health, family, or anything else.

2016-05-13 8:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by cdban66

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping after it.  I don't often mention my younger sister.  She is mentally, physically, and emotionally challenged.  She has been the source of quite a bit of our attention lately, as my parents age. We are working on a future housing option.  When you mix together the variety of organizations and the needs they have before taking care of someone, well, it can be an endurance event of a whole different manner. So, while I have been somewhat less than engaged lately, it has been for a good reason. 

Enjoy the weekend, no matter what it may bring and at some point I hope you all take a moment to look around and appreciate what you have in your life, be it health, family, or anything else.

A great reminder! Thanks.

2016-05-13 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by StaceyK

sixlets

so, M&Ms without the M!

They were a Halloween staple in my neighborhood.

Glad I'm not the only one who knows them!!!

2016-05-13 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

{{HUGS}} and prayers for you and the family, Chris. We really are the Oreo generation, taking care of our parents, and kids, and sometimes siblings.  Thank you for the reminder to enjoy the little things and take each day as it comes.

2016-05-13 9:53 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thank you so much for sharing the story Chris. I wish you and your family plenty of strength and patience with this process. I hope at the end your sister will be in the very good care. You are a truly great brother!
2016-05-13 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thinking of you and your family!

2016-05-13 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

We are headed into a busy racing season from now until about  early July!

May 14-15
Sean - Ironman Texas on Saturday
Monica - Ironman Texas on Saturday
Dave - MEC 10k trail run on Saturday
Melanie - Mud Run on Saturday
Janyne - Cary Du on Saturday
Mary G - Tower Triathlon (Sprint) at Niles YMCA on Sunday
Tom S - Wilmslow Triathlon on Sunday

Disabled List
Yanti - under the weather
Jen - under the weather
Tom A - lower body injury (don't know the specifics so I'm going with the hockey lingo!)

Congratulations to Judi on Thing One's graduation this weekend!

2016-05-13 12:44 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather
Tom A - lower body injury (don't know the specifics so I'm going with the hockey lingo!)

Good luck to all!  Be safe, be speedy, and have fun.  Remember to take in the day and the event.  I think Mary S. has an impromptu race opportunity this weekend, filling in on part of a marathon relay leg.  6 miles, I think.

Heal up, DLers!

2016-05-13 12:45 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

And that, Chris, is why I like you and respect you and am glad to know you.

2016-05-13 12:47 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good luck to all!  Be safe, be speedy, and have fun.  Remember to take in the day and the event.  I think Mary S. has an impromptu race opportunity this weekend, filling in on part of a marathon relay leg.  6 miles, I think.

Heal up, DLers!

Go Mary!

(good catch, Melanie!)

2016-05-13 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Enjoy your weekend too and I hope things go as smoothly as possible for your family! 

2016-05-13 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Lots of great racing this weekend!  Good luck and have tons of fun manatees!

Heal up DLers!

2016-05-13 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

There is some awesome stuff happening this weekend!!!!!

Anyone have bib #'s for our IMers?

Racers, the Power of the Pod is with you!!!

DL - Do we need to bust out the leeches?

Everyone, have an amazing weekend!!!

2016-05-13 1:04 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

{{hugs}}

2016-05-13 1:11 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

There is some awesome stuff happening this weekend!!!!!

Anyone have bib #'s for our IMers?

Racers, the Power of the Pod is with you!!!

DL - Do we need to bust out the leeches?

Everyone, have an amazing weekend!!!

Monica is 1588

Sean is 2108 (he was much more subtle in sharing his, I had to look him up on the bib list)

2016-05-13 1:12 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

May 14-15

Disabled List
Jen - under the weather

Good Luck Racers!
2016-05-13 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
This happens about 3 or 4 times a year, but it still creeps me out/ makes me a little concerned. I scared up 4 turkey buzzards on my runch today and they started circling above me. I always wonder if I look that bad running that the vultures are waiting for me to finish dying, so they can pick the carcass clean.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.