BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-02-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by kbhanson3
Originally posted by ceilidh

Okay,

We have half our team confirmed and drivers.

Two more Manatees come and play with us!!

With TJ, Now there are three.

Manatees?!?!?? come out and play!!

I love White Duck Taco. I love Asheville's craft beer scene even more. The only problem is that I'm not currently running and don't see it in my immediate future. Sounds like a really cool event for the running folks. Enjoy!
you wanna help drive or sherpa? That would relieve my DH if the duty.

2019-02-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Will try to write more later... Short answer is race was truly as beautiful as advertised--not a mile or kilometer of anything less than breathtaking scenery--but hideously hard course. The swim was not bad--cold water but nothing you don't see at Calgary or CDA and certainly worse in some places. I had thought 66 but race day water was actually 62.5. For here that is warm. Bike course has NO flat parts at all (at least it seemed that way). Nothing epic but just constant up and down; very windy in most parts. Not the best course for a low-end road bike more suited to touring. We also just didn't seem to click fit-wise--by the end it was killing my back, butt, and girly parts. Plus very rough roads--like the chip-seal in Idaho, the entire way except for a few miles through Wanaka and some other small towns en route.

The run was also gorgeous--75% trails except for (of course) going up and over a ginormous hill through a residential area. I was having a great run (after a total washout of a bike--almost 50 minutes over my best time and actually slower than my first HIM) until I tripped on something (my feet? rock? tree root?) with about 2 miles to go. Managed to finish but really messed up my elbow. I went to medical after and they didn't think it was a fracture but things just don't seem right....will spare you the gory details. So our last day in NZ will probably be spent at the hospital. And, of yes, our bike tour in Australia starts Tuesday. Will never forgive myself if we have to cut our trip short because of my stupidity. I am kicking myself now for insisting on doing this race...supposed to be Mom's bucket list trip as well.
2019-02-16 12:25 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Will try to write more later... Short answer is race was truly as beautiful as advertised--not a mile or kilometer of anything less than breathtaking scenery--but hideously hard course. The swim was not bad--cold water but nothing you don't see at Calgary or CDA and certainly worse in some places. I had thought 66 but race day water was actually 62.5. For here that is warm. Bike course has NO flat parts at all (at least it seemed that way). Nothing epic but just constant up and down; very windy in most parts. Not the best course for a low-end road bike more suited to touring. We also just didn't seem to click fit-wise--by the end it was killing my back, butt, and girly parts. Plus very rough roads--like the chip-seal in Idaho, the entire way except for a few miles through Wanaka and some other small towns en route. The run was also gorgeous--75% trails except for (of course) going up and over a ginormous hill through a residential area. I was having a great run (after a total washout of a bike--almost 50 minutes over my best time and actually slower than my first HIM) until I tripped on something (my feet? rock? tree root?) with about 2 miles to go. Managed to finish but really messed up my elbow. I went to medical after and they didn't think it was a fracture but things just don't seem right....will spare you the gory details. So our last day in NZ will probably be spent at the hospital. And, of yes, our bike tour in Australia starts Tuesday. Will never forgive myself if we have to cut our trip short because of my stupidity. I am kicking myself now for insisting on doing this race...supposed to be Mom's bucket list trip as well.

oh No! Hoping your elbow is just bruised and your plans don’t have to be altered.

The race sounds brutal, congrats on getting it done!

2019-02-16 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerWill try to write more later... Short answer is race was truly as beautiful as advertised--not a mile or kilometer of anything less than breathtaking scenery--but hideously hard course. The swim was not bad--cold water but nothing you don't see at Calgary or CDA and certainly worse in some places. I had thought 66 but race day water was actually 62.5. For here that is warm. Bike course has NO flat parts at all (at least it seemed that way). Nothing epic but just constant up and down; very windy in most parts. Not the best course for a low-end road bike more suited to touring. We also just didn't seem to click fit-wise--by the end it was killing my back, butt, and girly parts. Plus very rough roads--like the chip-seal in Idaho, the entire way except for a few miles through Wanaka and some other small towns en route.The run was also gorgeous--75% trails except for (of course) going up and over a ginormous hill through a residential area. I was having a great run (after a total washout of a bike--almost 50 minutes over my best time and actually slower than my first HIM) until I tripped on something (my feet? rock? tree root?) with about 2 miles to go. Managed to finish but really messed up my elbow. I went to medical after and they didn't think it was a fracture but things just don't seem right....will spare you the gory details. So our last day in NZ will probably be spent at the hospital. And, of yes, our bike tour in Australia starts Tuesday. Will never forgive myself if we have to cut our trip short because of my stupidity. I am kicking myself now for insisting on doing this race...supposed to be Mom's bucket list trip as well.
that sounds like one hell of a race. I am sending good elbow juju that there is no reason to cancel anything.
2019-02-16 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Okay,

I love White Duck Taco. I love Asheville's craft beer scene even more. The only problem is that I'm not currently running and don't see it in my immediate future. Sounds like a really cool event for the running folks. Enjoy!

Karl, you should come and play with us! Drive, sherpa, test beer for us... DOOO EEETTT!!!

2019-02-16 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Will try to write more later... Short answer is race was truly as beautiful as advertised--not a mile or kilometer of anything less than breathtaking scenery--but hideously hard course. The swim was not bad--cold water but nothing you don't see at Calgary or CDA and certainly worse in some places. I had thought 66 but race day water was actually 62.5. For here that is warm. Bike course has NO flat parts at all (at least it seemed that way). Nothing epic but just constant up and down; very windy in most parts. Not the best course for a low-end road bike more suited to touring. We also just didn't seem to click fit-wise--by the end it was killing my back, butt, and girly parts. Plus very rough roads--like the chip-seal in Idaho, the entire way except for a few miles through Wanaka and some other small towns en route. The run was also gorgeous--75% trails except for (of course) going up and over a ginormous hill through a residential area. I was having a great run (after a total washout of a bike--almost 50 minutes over my best time and actually slower than my first HIM) until I tripped on something (my feet? rock? tree root?) with about 2 miles to go. Managed to finish but really messed up my elbow. I went to medical after and they didn't think it was a fracture but things just don't seem right....will spare you the gory details. So our last day in NZ will probably be spent at the hospital. And, of yes, our bike tour in Australia starts Tuesday. Will never forgive myself if we have to cut our trip short because of my stupidity. I am kicking myself now for insisting on doing this race...supposed to be Mom's bucket list trip as well.

Ack! Sorry to hear about your elbow. 

2019-02-16 7:51 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by jmkizer

Okay,

Karl, you should come and play with us! Drive, sherpa, test beer for us... DOOO EEETTT!!!

All of that sounds fun, especially the beer testing part! And it would definitely be fun to help the running Manatees through the race. I'll report back soon after looking at the calendar.
2019-02-17 2:28 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh. Got x-rays and it is a real mess. Need surgery and wiring. Flying back to US tomorrow. Probably taking indefinite hiatus from BT/ tri in general for now.
2019-02-17 4:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Hot RunnerUgh. Got x-rays and it is a real mess. Need surgery and wiring. Flying back to US tomorrow. Probably taking indefinite hiatus from BT/ tri in general for now.
Oh no, so sorry!
2019-02-17 6:04 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ugh. Got x-rays and it is a real mess. Need surgery and wiring. Flying back to US tomorrow. Probably taking indefinite hiatus from BT/ tri in general for now.

I'm so sorry! Take care of yourself!

2019-02-17 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerUgh. Got x-rays and it is a real mess. Need surgery and wiring. Flying back to US tomorrow. Probably taking indefinite hiatus from BT/ tri in general for now.
oh NO!!!!! I am so sorry..let us know how you are doing.

2019-02-17 8:17 AM
in reply to: #5255454

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Oh no, Karen. I am so sorry to see that. Take a little time and heal up.
2019-02-17 11:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Ugh. Got x-rays and it is a real mess. Need surgery and wiring. Flying back to US tomorrow. Probably taking indefinite hiatus from BT/ tri in general for now.

Oh no! I am so sorry! I understand your need of a hiatus, but remember we're still here to support you!
2019-02-17 6:06 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ugh. Got x-rays and it is a real mess. Need surgery and wiring. Flying back to US tomorrow. Probably taking indefinite hiatus from BT/ tri in general for now.

Ugh, so sorry this happened Karen!  Take care of yourself.

2019-02-18 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry.
2019-02-18 7:19 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Bit of Proof of Life (thanks for the nudge, Janyne!)

Soooo, pretty crazy these last couple of weeks. Long story short, my husband got naturalized last week (the end of a very long process) and my brother is suddenly now a civilian for the USAF being moved to London in a couple weeks. Also family yada yada, work yada yada, etc. All good things, but wow has time gotten away from me.

2019-02-18 7:48 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Bit of Proof of Life (thanks for the nudge, Janyne!) Soooo, pretty crazy these last couple of weeks. Long story short, my husband got naturalized last week (the end of a very long process) and my brother is suddenly now a civilian for the USAF being moved to London in a couple weeks. Also family yada yada, work yada yada, etc. All good things, but wow has time gotten away from me.

Thanks for checking in! Congrats on all good the things :-D

2019-02-18 8:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Wrote up a little race report for my 15K yesterday. It was super fun, but a bit cold and wet. Also, I think I'm going to put marshmallows on my next Ironman nutrition plan  

2019-02-18 8:48 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, man, so sorry to hear that, Karen.  Wishing the very best for you, take care!

2019-02-18 9:25 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

OMG. I'm so sorry . I know exactly how it feels to do something like that in a race and pay for it for a very long time. Be gentle with yourself. One of the things that helped me was to KEEP coming back to BT for support. We're here for you - please keep us updated.

2019-02-18 12:25 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Really sorry to hear that! That sucks so much. Heal quickly!

2019-02-18 2:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Oh no, so sorry to hear that! I truly hope the recovery will go well. Stay strong!
2019-02-18 2:38 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Okay,

Can someone please update me on this? I apologize for not being up to date with this exciting opportunity, I assume something crazy is going on November 2nd...
2019-02-18 6:21 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by marysia83

Okay,

Can someone please update me on this? I apologize for not being up to date with this exciting opportunity, I assume something crazy is going on November 2nd...

Manatees!!!

How about this for a meetup instead of the Florida relay. The location is great, it is only one day, We already have 2 drivers (me and my hubster) and probably our cars as well so that is taken care of.

Cherokee and Asheville both have tons of things to do: There is wonderful Mountain biking, Paddling, hiking, restaurants, breweries,

AND I can accommodate folks here for free, for at least the night before the race. (We have 3 rooms, a sleeper-sofa room, and 3 baths for folks). Rooms in Cherokee would be good for the end of the race since our place is about 2 hours from there.

Land and Sky Relay (Asheville to Cherokee)
Event info: http://gloryhoundevents.com/event/land-and-sky-relay/
Need 4 runners plus driver/sherpas
Runners cover 13-18.3 miles over three legs
Early entry fee is $95/runner + gas + accommodations (probably 2 nights?) + Manatee team shirts!!!
* Every runner must wear a flashing light on their front and back during each leg.
* During the hours of 5-8 AM and 4-7 PM, all runners must also wear reflective vests and head lamps.
* Teams will be checked for compliance at all Transfer Points and those not meeting these requirements will not be allowed to continue
* All teams must start their final leg by 7:30 PM. (Saturday, November 2 – Team Starts – 5:00-8:15 AM – White Duck Taco)

2019-02-19 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

Okay,

Manatees!!!

How about this for a meetup instead of the Florida relay. The location is great, it is only one day, We already have 2 drivers (me and my hubster) and probably our cars as well so that is taken care of.

Cherokee and Asheville both have tons of things to do: There is wonderful Mountain biking, Paddling, hiking, restaurants, breweries,

AND I can accommodate folks here for free, for at least the night before the race. (We have 3 rooms, a sleeper-sofa room, and 3 baths for folks). Rooms in Cherokee would be good for the end of the race since our place is about 2 hours from there.

Land and Sky Relay (Asheville to Cherokee)
Event info: http://gloryhoundevents.com/event/land-and-sky-relay/
Need 4 runners plus driver/sherpas
Runners cover 13-18.3 miles over three legs
Early entry fee is $95/runner + gas + accommodations (probably 2 nights?) + Manatee team shirts!!!
* Every runner must wear a flashing light on their front and back during each leg.
* During the hours of 5-8 AM and 4-7 PM, all runners must also wear reflective vests and head lamps.
* Teams will be checked for compliance at all Transfer Points and those not meeting these requirements will not be allowed to continue
* All teams must start their final leg by 7:30 PM. (Saturday, November 2 – Team Starts – 5:00-8:15 AM – White Duck Taco)

As I understand it, we have three (ish) runners and some number of drivers/sherpas. I think that Robin wants to get this nailed down by early March. I think that we would like to fill the remaining spot(s) with Manatees but will recruit outside Manateeland starting March 1 or so.

Runners: TJ, Melanie, Janyne, YOUR NAME HERE

Drivers: Robin, possibly Mr. Robin or Karl

So we need one (or five) more runners and commitment from Karl. ;-)

Ann-Marie is also running on a team. Hands, are you guys planning on having one car for or two cars leap-frogging each other?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107