BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-30 8:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

This just happenedĀ 

And then there were FOUR (Manatees planning to attend next September's meetup)

WOO HOO!!!

J - how many more manatees do we have to convince?

2017-10-30 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Randee - Did you beat that train and earn the whistle? Choo choo!

TJ - speaking of choo choo, nice ink, I like your design choice!  

Ann-Marie - Little Debbie, Little Debbie!

Karen - glad you survived the MRI despite the strong coffee jitters and are getting closer to getting some answers.

Edited by melbo55 2017-10-30 9:14 AM
2017-10-30 1:25 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by melbo55

Randee - Did you beat that train and earn the whistle? Choo choo!

yeah it was a crappy little whistle.

HEY BTW anyone coming to IMCHOO will get a REAL TRAIN WHISTLE from me and my gang! Does that sweetin' the deal for anyone?
2017-10-30 11:10 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Originally posted by Hot Runner
  • ..guess the good news is nothing is currently broken, missing, or displaced. But it took a while to develop so sounds like it might take a while to get rid of. Hoping it is amenable at this point to anti-inflammatories and PT and we don't have to do anything nasty or invasive. At this point I would gladly just cut the whole thing off. OMG.

• Sorry about the suffering, but sounds like you're at least already in the healing phase, yes? I hope all it needs is some TLC and time.

Man, I've been so MIA triathlon-wise. I'm hoping to amend that after this weekend's Crossfit competition in the Philippines. Manila Team Throwdown, 11/4/2017.

I wish I was at least on the same land mass to join you all for IMCHOO! It really stinks how expensive it is for us to travel to and from US Mainland. I miss my family.

Hope you're all having a super start to your new week!
    2017-10-31 5:06 AM
    in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    I hope so. At this point it appears to be just swelling in various places, and may be the leftover from whatever was wrong in the first place. Have consulted with a podiatrist in the States (who has never actually seen me) for the past few months, as well as the orthopedist here, and they don't seem to agree. The podiatrist thought that the symptoms and progression, plus the initial x-ray, indicated ligament issues and/or capsulitis (thickening of the joint in that area) but none of that is showing now on the MRI, just some fluid indicating swelling in the joint and nearby soft tissues. The orthopedist thinks it may be a partly healed stress fracture, bone bruise, or stress reaction. There some swelling of the marrow inside the toe, but no evidence of a current break or a healed stress fracture. To make things really complicated, there's also evidence of a healed fracture further down the toe, where I haven't actually had any discomfort--may be a rock-climbing injury from decades ago. No idea if that has anything to do with anything. Possibly those wretched shoes were putting pressure on scar tissue or something, I changed my stride and pedal stroke to compensate, and then all manner of havoc broke loose further up the toe and into the metatarsal joint. I don't have any history of stress fractures despite running since age 10, sometimes pretty high volume, and really don't run nearly as much as a triathlete as back in my pure runner days. The ligament/joint thing makes more sense to me as I do have some history of those, but I guess I'm not getting any younger and it's possible I might be more vulnerable to different injuries now.

So it's kind of a chicken and egg issue here about what caused what and when. To further complicate matters, the orthopedist isn't a foot guy; he's sending the images to someone who is. My understanding is the treatment and the timeline to return to running would be somewhat different if he thinks there is a continuing stress reaction vs. just residual swelling from a joint/ligament injury.

At any rate there has not been much physical suffering in the past few weeks, though I think there might be if I attempted to run or walk more than an hour or so at a time. It's more mental--I feel like I'm living in a cage. Running in a pool is NOT running; right now it's almost the only outdoor time I'm getting.
    2017-10-31 6:11 AM

User image

Master
    Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner I hope so. At this point it appears to be just swelling in various places, and may be the leftover from whatever was wrong in the first place. Have consulted with a podiatrist in the States (who has never actually seen me) for the past few months, as well as the orthopedist here, and they don't seem to agree. The podiatrist thought that the symptoms and progression, plus the initial x-ray, indicated ligament issues and/or capsulitis (thickening of the joint in that area) but none of that is showing now on the MRI, just some fluid indicating swelling in the joint and nearby soft tissues. The orthopedist thinks it may be a partly healed stress fracture, bone bruise, or stress reaction. There some swelling of the marrow inside the toe, but no evidence of a current break or a healed stress fracture. To make things really complicated, there's also evidence of a healed fracture further down the toe, where I haven't actually had any discomfort--may be a rock-climbing injury from decades ago. No idea if that has anything to do with anything. Possibly those wretched shoes were putting pressure on scar tissue or something, I changed my stride and pedal stroke to compensate, and then all manner of havoc broke loose further up the toe and into the metatarsal joint. I don't have any history of stress fractures despite running since age 10, sometimes pretty high volume, and really don't run nearly as much as a triathlete as back in my pure runner days. The ligament/joint thing makes more sense to me as I do have some history of those, but I guess I'm not getting any younger and it's possible I might be more vulnerable to different injuries now. So it's kind of a chicken and egg issue here about what caused what and when. To further complicate matters, the orthopedist isn't a foot guy; he's sending the images to someone who is. My understanding is the treatment and the timeline to return to running would be somewhat different if he thinks there is a continuing stress reaction vs. just residual swelling from a joint/ligament injury. At any rate there has not been much physical suffering in the past few weeks, though I think there might be if I attempted to run or walk more than an hour or so at a time. It's more mental--I feel like I'm living in a cage. Running in a pool is NOT running; right now it's almost the only outdoor time I'm getting.

How frustrating!  If you want the contact of another podiatrist let me know, I have a great one.  He works with a lot of USA olympic track and field athletes including Justin Gatlin.

2017-10-31 6:43 AM
    in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    I'm pretty sure the podiatrist I've been consulting is very well-qualified; it's just that I haven't been able to see her in person, and there is no one with that qualification here! Really should have seen someone back in Oregon--we have some of the best people in the world with all the world-class runners. But I wasn't home for long, and just completely focused on helping my parents prepare for the move. At the time I assumed the injury was some kind of nerve irritation or bone bruise and would resolve soon with some TLC--it didn't.

Hopefully the doctor will follow through on this. Otherwise, I guess I will just be super-conservative and take another 4-5 weeks before gradually getting back to running--three months was kind of the typical timeline put out for both scenarios, and I have already taken 7 1/2 weeks completely off.

In reality, my running's been zero for almost ten weeks, except for Worlds (I didn't run at all for the last two weeks before), and pretty minimal (nothing beyond 40 minutes, mostly on grass) for twelve weeks already. Just not sure Worlds "counts". I guess a good sign that the level and duration of pain after that race (though it definitely hurt during the run) wasn't nearly what it was after CDA about ten weeks before. To me that suggests that some degree of healing took place during those four weeks of minimal to no running, and while I probably didn't do myself any favors by running those 21 km, I wasn't back to where I started when the issue was at its worst.
    2017-10-31 6:47 AM

User image

Master
    Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm pretty sure the podiatrist I've been consulting is very well-qualified; it's just that I haven't been able to see her in person, and there is no one with that qualification here! Really should have seen someone back in Oregon--we have some of the best people in the world with all the world-class runners. But I wasn't home for long, and just completely focused on helping my parents prepare for the move. At the time I assumed the injury was some kind of nerve irritation or bone bruise and would resolve soon with some TLC--it didn't. Hopefully the doctor will follow through on this. Otherwise, I guess I will just be super-conservative and take another 4-5 weeks before gradually getting back to running--three months was kind of the typical timeline put out for both scenarios, and I have already taken 7 1/2 weeks completely off. In reality, my running's been zero for almost ten weeks, except for Worlds (I didn't run at all for the last two weeks before), and pretty minimal (nothing beyond 40 minutes, mostly on grass) for twelve weeks already. Just not sure Worlds "counts". I guess a good sign that the level and duration of pain after that race (though it definitely hurt during the run) wasn't nearly what it was after CDA about ten weeks before. To me that suggests that some degree of healing took place during those four weeks of minimal to no running, and while I probably didn't do myself any favors by running those 21 km, I wasn't back to where I started when the issue was at its worst.

Oh yeah, forgot where you from back in the States - I'm sure they have lots of runner injury experience!

2017-10-31 6:57 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner I'm pretty sure the podiatrist I've been consulting is very well-qualified; it's just that I haven't been able to see her in person, and there is no one with that qualification here! Really should have seen someone back in Oregon--we have some of the best people in the world with all the world-class runners. But I wasn't home for long, and just completely focused on helping my parents prepare for the move. At the time I assumed the injury was some kind of nerve irritation or bone bruise and would resolve soon with some TLC--it didn't. Hopefully the doctor will follow through on this. Otherwise, I guess I will just be super-conservative and take another 4-5 weeks before gradually getting back to running--three months was kind of the typical timeline put out for both scenarios, and I have already taken 7 1/2 weeks completely off. In reality, my running's been zero for almost ten weeks, except for Worlds (I didn't run at all for the last two weeks before), and pretty minimal (nothing beyond 40 minutes, mostly on grass) for twelve weeks already. Just not sure Worlds "counts". I guess a good sign that the level and duration of pain after that race (though it definitely hurt during the run) wasn't nearly what it was after CDA about ten weeks before. To me that suggests that some degree of healing took place during those four weeks of minimal to no running, and while I probably didn't do myself any favors by running those 21 km, I wasn't back to where I started when the issue was at its worst.

Fingers crossed that the rest does the trick and that you are able to begin running again before Christmas.

2017-10-31 7:00 AM

User image

Master
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bronze member
    OMG if not by Christmas, I will need the psychiatrist and anti-depressants. I'm not sure I'm joking. And, sadly, I am no longer "from" Eugene, Oregon. My folks have moved to Boise as of last month, but I'm not claiming that as "home"--it's just a place to visit them. I don't have a home anymore--citizen of the world, global nomad, or something.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-10-31 7:03 AM
    2017-10-31 8:05 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Stupid question of the day: What is the difference between mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes? I mean from a practical standpoint. I went to look at Cx bikes again this weekend -- it's probably about a year off for me though. I want a Cx bike but I need some other things more.

I have a Cx bike that has rim brakes. I've upgraded the brakes but stopping is still more of a suggestion than a command and sometimes it scares me. Mechanical brakes are definitely less expensive and I imagine would be a big step up from the stopping power -- or lack thereof -- that I have now. In other words, should I consider eliminating the mechanical disc brakes from the equation? Is maintenance more of an issue with one kind versus another. I know if the brakes on one of my bikes is wonky and I have it looked at, it's not expensive and when Kevin takes his MTB in, it's $100+.

I do not plan to race, just want to do some off season riding in the woods and do stuff like the Virginia Creeper Trail on it.

Anyway, I was thinking about this stuff so thought I'd ask.

ETA: Also will be stalking end of season discounts on these. At first blush, I am the contenders appear to be: Giant TCX SLR 2, Specialized Crux Sport E5, Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, Trek Crockett 5 Disc. I was kind of surprised that the Fuji at Performance (Fuji Cross 1.5 Disc Cyclocross Bike) was more expensive than some of these.

Edited by jmkizer 2017-10-31 8:40 AM

2017-10-31 8:05 AM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner OMG if not by Christmas, I will need the psychiatrist and anti-depressants. I'm not sure I'm joking. And, sadly, I am no longer "from" Eugene, Oregon. My folks have moved to Boise as of last month, but I'm not claiming that as "home"--it's just a place to visit them. I don't have a home anymore--citizen of the world, global nomad, or something.

It's very encouraging that you are seeing improvement. Fingers crossed!

2017-10-31 9:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Stupid question of the day: What is the difference between mechanical and hydraulic disc brakes? I mean from a practical standpoint. I went to look at Cx bikes again this weekend -- it's probably about a year off for me though. I want a Cx bike but I need some other things more.

I have a Cx bike that has rim brakes. I've upgraded the brakes but stopping is still more of a suggestion than a command and sometimes it scares me. Mechanical brakes are definitely less expensive and I imagine would be a big step up from the stopping power -- or lack thereof -- that I have now. In other words, should I consider eliminating the mechanical disc brakes from the equation? Is maintenance more of an issue with one kind versus another. I know if the brakes on one of my bikes is wonky and I have it looked at, it's not expensive and when Kevin takes his MTB in, it's $100+.

I do not plan to race, just want to do some off season riding in the woods and do stuff like the Virginia Creeper Trail on it.

ETA: Also will be stalking end of season discounts on these. At first blush, I am the contenders appear to be: Giant TCX SLR 2, Specialized Crux Sport E5, Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, Trek Crockett 5 Disc. I was kind of surprised that the Fuji at Performance (Fuji Cross 1.5 Disc Cyclocross Bike) was more expensive than some of these.

my first set of discs on my mtb were mechanical ("cable actuated") - they were fine - did the job. Much better than rim brakes for lots of reasons including stopping power and mud clearance.

then I got hydraulic brakes and WHEEE - STOP ON A DIME. More consistent force/power because it's a sealed system not subject to things like cable stretch, contamination, friction etc.

they are more of PITA to maintain but you'd do it less often. Kevin must have hydraulic brakes!

If you're really racing cx I'd think you'd want the hydros just because of the sealed system keeps the mud out of the cables but I'm not up on cx and I don't know what people are doing.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2017-10-31 9:10 AM
    2017-10-31 11:09 AM
    in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

my first set of discs on my mtb were mechanical ("cable actuated") - they were fine - did the job. Much better than rim brakes for lots of reasons including stopping power and mud clearance. then I got hydraulic brakes and WHEEE - STOP ON A DIME. More consistent force/power because it's a sealed system not subject to things like cable stretch, contamination, friction etc. they are more of PITA to maintain but you'd do it less often. Kevin must have hydraulic brakes! If you're really racing cx I'd think you'd want the hydros just because of the sealed system keeps the mud out of the cables but I'm not up on cx and I don't know what people are doing.

I'm running mech discs on my MTB. Love it for the grip it gives in the mud and water. I will move to discs going forward on any new bike I purchase. I just think the stopping power vs. rim brakes is that significant.  I have not had the opportunity to try hyrda discs, so I can't comment. However, I can comment on the repair piece. I had a 60's era VW that needed constant attention to the brake cylinder/brake system, well really to the whole car and bike disc braking systems strike me as being in that generation of development (big, overreaching generalization, I know). By that I mean that the hydra systems are a bit more sensitive and take more attention (another generalization, I know). I believe that improvements have been made and will continue to be made as bike companies and wheel companies work with them more. I'm feel that the development is where it makes no fiscal sense to me to go for the hydra system. YMMV.

As for the physical differences (which you probably already know, I'm not mansplaining here), you are looking at a tiny brake cylinder (generally on the handlebars) filled with fluid, etc. on the hydra system vs a cable as you see on your rim brakes. Mechanical has a cable that pulls the calipers to clamp the discs, very simple. Hydra is a bit more complex with fluid, pressures, tiny tubes, etc involved in the clamping of the disc when you pull the brake lever.

2017-10-31 11:44 AM
    in reply to: cdban66

Master
    Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

my first set of discs on my mtb were mechanical ("cable actuated") - they were fine - did the job. Much better than rim brakes for lots of reasons including stopping power and mud clearance. then I got hydraulic brakes and WHEEE - STOP ON A DIME. More consistent force/power because it's a sealed system not subject to things like cable stretch, contamination, friction etc. they are more of PITA to maintain but you'd do it less often. Kevin must have hydraulic brakes! If you're really racing cx I'd think you'd want the hydros just because of the sealed system keeps the mud out of the cables but I'm not up on cx and I don't know what people are doing.

I'm running mech discs on my MTB. Love it for the grip it gives in the mud and water. I will move to discs going forward on any new bike I purchase. I just think the stopping power vs. rim brakes is that significant.  I have not had the opportunity to try hyrda discs, so I can't comment. However, I can comment on the repair piece. I had a 60's era VW that needed constant attention to the brake cylinder/brake system, well really to the whole car and bike disc braking systems strike me as being in that generation of development (big, overreaching generalization, I know). By that I mean that the hydra systems are a bit more sensitive and take more attention (another generalization, I know). I believe that improvements have been made and will continue to be made as bike companies and wheel companies work with them more. I'm feel that the development is where it makes no fiscal sense to me to go for the hydra system. YMMV.

As for the physical differences (which you probably already know, I'm not mansplaining here), you are looking at a tiny brake cylinder (generally on the handlebars) filled with fluid, etc. on the hydra system vs a cable as you see on your rim brakes. Mechanical has a cable that pulls the calipers to clamp the discs, very simple. Hydra is a bit more complex with fluid, pressures, tiny tubes, etc involved in the clamping of the disc when you pull the brake lever.

Both types should be plenty strong, the hydraulic tends to take less force on the lever to work (Randee's "WHEEEE" part). Once used to that, they also tend to be easier to modulate the amount of braking force because of it.

Do watch the hood size for the hydraulics. Make sure it's not bigger in a way that would adversely affect your handling. I think they tend to just make the front part taller, but there could still be something making the overall hood bigger. I'm fine with it, but I wear XL gloves. Someone with small hands may want to make sure things still fit ok there. Really wish I could remember the systems more specifically right now. Been awhile since I looked at anything.

2017-10-31 12:08 PM
    in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by brigby1

Both types should be plenty strong, the hydraulic tends to take less force on the lever to work (Randee's "WHEEEE" part). Once used to that, they also tend to be easier to modulate the amount of braking force because of it.

Do watch the hood size for the hydraulics. Make sure it's not bigger in a way that would adversely affect your handling. I think they tend to just make the front part taller, but there could still be something making the overall hood bigger. I'm fine with it, but I wear XL gloves. Someone with small hands may want to make sure things still fit ok there. Really wish I could remember the systems more specifically right now. Been awhile since I looked at anything.

To Ben's point, see the pics attached. One is mech, the other hydra:

(hydraulic_leverparts_04_f.gif)

(Mecha.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    hydraulic_leverparts_04_f.gif (12KB - 2 downloads)
    Mecha.jpg (220KB - 3 downloads)

2017-10-31 12:14 PM

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

To Ben's point, see the pics attached. One is mech, the other hydra:

Thanks all!

It sounds like there is no reason to eliminate mechanical disc at this time.

2017-10-31 1:15 PM

User image

Master
    Englewood, Florida

Thanks all!

I think discs are going to be everywhere in the next few years.

2017-10-31 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
    Southampton, Ontario
    differing opinion -

My CX came with AVID BB7 mechanical disc brakes - I really hated them, truly loathed them! My mountain bikes all have hydraulic brakes and they are a lot less finicky. Generally once they are bled and aligned correctly there isnt much that needs to be done. With the mech discs on my CX bike I had to adjust the pads closer to the disc as the pads wore down. Not a huge deal, just turning a dial, but after adjusting they always seemed to rub on one side so I would adjust the caliper so it was centered (only one pad on most mechanical brakes actually moves) this doesnt sound like a big deal but it was just another hassle and I would constantly have to do it over and over in an effort to get them to run silent. The difficulty in adjusting also came from the crazy conical washers Avid uses. I also found the BB7's had a wooden feel. After a 100mile gravel ride in the rain and sand with them rubbing most of the way I switched to TRP HY/RD's which use my existing mechanical levers but uses a cable actuated hydro caliper. These self adjust and dont rub ever., I havent touched them since I installed them last winter. If I were buying a new bike I would consider going straight to a full hydraulic setup. -> but thats just me. Try both and see which is better for you.

Edited by DaveL 2017-10-31 8:40 PM
    2017-10-31 8:35 PM

User image

Veteran
    Southampton, Ontario

Thanks all!

I think discs are going to be everywhere in the next few years.

I agree - Once you ride with disc brakes its hard to go back to rim brakes.
    2017-11-01 7:36 AM
    in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
    Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL differing opinion - My CX came with AVID BB7 mechanical disc brakes - I really hated them, truly loathed them! My mountain bikes all have hydraulic brakes and they are a lot less finicky. Generally once they are bled and aligned correctly there isnt much that needs to be done. With the mech discs on my CX bike I had to adjust the pads closer to the disc as the pads wore down. Not a huge deal, just turning a dial, but after adjusting they always seemed to rub on one side so I would adjust the caliper so it was centered (only one pad on most mechanical brakes actually moves) this doesnt sound like a big deal but it was just another hassle and I would constantly have to do it over and over in an effort to get them to run silent. The difficulty in adjusting also came from the crazy conical washers Avid uses. I also found the BB7's had a wooden feel. After a 100mile gravel ride in the rain and sand with them rubbing most of the way I switched to TRP HY/RD's which use my existing mechanical levers but uses a cable actuated hydro caliper. These self adjust and dont rub ever., I havent touched them since I installed them last winter. If I were buying a new bike I would consider going straight to a full hydraulic setup. -> but thats just me. Try both and see which is better for you.

Are there any issues with storage and hydraulic brakes? If the bike sat all of tri season and I pulled it out for the winter, would it be good to go or need to be serviced?

2017-11-01 9:02 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

Who here has a smart trainer and do you love it?

Thinking about this one, all though it doesn't automatically adjust resistance for a program like Zwift. I don't want to spend more than around $400 though, and currently have NO power reading devices, so I thought this would be a step in the right direction to at least get power data and such. Is there something better out there in the same price range?

2017-11-01 9:16 AM

User image

Master
    Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

Who here has a smart trainer and do you love it?

Thinking about this one, all though it doesn't automatically adjust resistance for a program like Zwift. I don't want to spend more than around $400 though, and currently have NO power reading devices, so I thought this would be a step in the right direction to at least get power data and such. Is there something better out there in the same price range?

I have the Tacx Vortex, which is a step up from the one you linked, so it does the automatic adjustments.  I got it earlier this year off ebay (new) for about $325. I had a bit of a headache getting it set up and synced to zwift, Rouvy, and trainer road, but once I did I was very happy with my purchase.  My weekday rides are all on the trainer and they were much less miserable on the smart trainer than the dumb one   Having the program automatically change resistance based off my FTP was really nice. When I used zwift or Rouvy i was able to just watch the screen (i use an ipad) as they both have graphics worth watching. Rouvy even has some videos of various courses, so you can actually ride the course. Trainer road is just a graph, so I also had my tv on when using it. 

I can't say whether or not I would be as thrilled with my purchase without the auto adjustment, but with it I am very happy.  Maybe try ebay or look for a sale around the holidays.

ETA: I checked ebAY and found this one on sale for about $450. Says its the last one! 

Edited by amd723 2017-11-01 9:28 AM
    2017-11-01 9:37 AM
    in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

zOMG I bought it! I am such an impulse buyer, especially if I've been thinking about something and find it at a good price (and it's the last one LOL!).

Thanks for the link! I had just been looking on eBay when I saw your reply 

2017-11-01 9:44 AM
    in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
    Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

zOMG I bought it! I am such an impulse buyer, especially if I've been thinking about something and find it at a good price (and it's the last one LOL!).

Thanks for the link! I had just been looking on eBay when I saw your reply 

hahaha, glad you found it; now I hope you like it as much as i do (or I'm deleting my post)!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44