BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-02-19 4:26 PM
in reply to: #5255655

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Speaking from lots of experience, black and blue is quite applicable to road as well as trail. :P

Hi, Kirsten!

2019-02-19 5:53 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by laffinrock

I'm definitely in and SO EXCITED!!! Can't wait to meet more Manatees!

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a triathlete turned duathlete thanks to post concussion syndrome that affects my vision (I'm really motion-sensitive). I'm currently just running due to another concussion that made my symptoms worse, but I'm working in getting back on my bike. I can't participate much here because it's hard on my eyes. BUT I'm running and enjoying it. I just did a HM and have 3 more planned this year. I'm also hoping to be able to do an Olympic duathlon in August and maybe a shorter one in April.

I live in Denver, have 2 border collies, a cat and a DH named Alex.

So happy to see you! I absolutely love that you are able to run and have these great HM plans for this year )))

I didn't know you live in Denver. I am planning to move to Longmont next year I hope we can have a meet-up when I visit CO this year.
2019-02-19 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by laffinrockI'm definitely in and SO EXCITED!!! Can't wait to meet more Manatees!For those of you who don't know me, I'm a triathlete turned duathlete thanks to post concussion syndrome that affects my vision (I'm really motion-sensitive). I'm currently just running due to another concussion that made my symptoms worse, but I'm working in getting back on my bike. I can't participate much here because it's hard on my eyes. BUT I'm running and enjoying it. I just did a HM and have 3 more planned this year. I'm also hoping to be able to do an Olympic duathlon in August and maybe a shorter one in April. I live in Denver, have 2 border collies, a cat and a DH named Alex.
most excellent. 4 runners it is.
2019-02-19 9:06 PM
in reply to: #5255664

User image

Denver, CO
Mary, for sure let me know when you're coming. I grew up in Longmont back in the day. It's changed a lot since then but there are still lots of great places to ride. The tri/running/cycling scene is really active too.
2019-02-20 7:12 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by laffinrock I'm definitely in and SO EXCITED!!! Can't wait to meet more Manatees! For those of you who don't know me, I'm a triathlete turned duathlete thanks to post concussion syndrome that affects my vision (I'm really motion-sensitive). I'm currently just running due to another concussion that made my symptoms worse, but I'm working in getting back on my bike. I can't participate much here because it's hard on my eyes. BUT I'm running and enjoying it. I just did a HM and have 3 more planned this year. I'm also hoping to be able to do an Olympic duathlon in August and maybe a shorter one in April. I live in Denver, have 2 border collies, a cat and a DH named Alex.
So happy to see you! I absolutely love that you are able to run and have these great HM plans for this year ))) I didn't know you live in Denver. I am planning to move to Longmont next year I hope we can have a meet-up when I visit CO this year.

CO meetup!!!!

2019-02-20 8:27 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey Relay runners (and crew)

We need an official Team Name.

2019-02-20 8:28 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

We are the RACING MANATEES!!!

2019-02-20 9:47 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by laffinrock

Mary, for sure let me know when you're coming. I grew up in Longmont back in the day. It's changed a lot since then but there are still lots of great places to ride. The tri/running/cycling scene is really active too.

Oh, good to know. I chose that location because of the school district and additional resources for children with Autism. Also, it seems to be more quiet than Boulder (not as many students and tourists).

Janyne - definitely CO meet-up! Are there more CO folks?? Anyone doing Boulder IM this year?
2019-02-20 9:48 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

With a Manatee as a mascot!
2019-02-20 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Go RACING MANATEES

I'm jealous that I can't join you.
2019-02-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Jealous of everybody and everything (okay--maybe not of long-range issues from concussions). Met with ortho today and have surgery next Thursday--fixing at least three pieces of elbow (two large, one fragment, possibly more) with screws and plate. If all goes well, I can get on the trainer in 3-4 weeks, pool in 4-6 weeks, running in 8-10 weeks, and biking in 10-12 weeks. No further race plans for the year, due to uncertainty about recovery, time needed to regain fitness, and uncertainty about job and moving for summer and beyond.

Sigh.... Wishing you all better luck than me!

2019-02-21 7:05 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerJealous of everybody and everything (okay--maybe not of long-range issues from concussions). Met with ortho today and have surgery next Thursday--fixing at least three pieces of elbow (two large, one fragment, possibly more) with screws and plate. If all goes well, I can get on the trainer in 3-4 weeks, pool in 4-6 weeks, running in 8-10 weeks, and biking in 10-12 weeks. No further race plans for the year, due to uncertainty about recovery, time needed to regain fitness, and uncertainty about job and moving for summer and beyond.Sigh.... Wishing you all better luck than me!
I am sending you all sorts of good juju. Instead of weeks, maybe it would help to look at it as months. On the trainer in possibly less than a month. Injuries are so unfair and hard to deal with.
2019-02-21 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Jealous of everybody and everything (okay--maybe not of long-range issues from concussions). Met with ortho today and have surgery next Thursday--fixing at least three pieces of elbow (two large, one fragment, possibly more) with screws and plate. If all goes well, I can get on the trainer in 3-4 weeks, pool in 4-6 weeks, running in 8-10 weeks, and biking in 10-12 weeks. No further race plans for the year, due to uncertainty about recovery, time needed to regain fitness, and uncertainty about job and moving for summer and beyond.

Will be sending good vibes into the universe for your med team next week that surgery goes well.
2019-02-21 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Jealous of everybody and everything (okay--maybe not of long-range issues from concussions). Met with ortho today and have surgery next Thursday--fixing at least three pieces of elbow (two large, one fragment, possibly more) with screws and plate. If all goes well, I can get on the trainer in 3-4 weeks, pool in 4-6 weeks, running in 8-10 weeks, and biking in 10-12 weeks. No further race plans for the year, due to uncertainty about recovery, time needed to regain fitness, and uncertainty about job and moving for summer and beyond. Sigh.... Wishing you all better luck than me!

{{hugs}} We are all thinking of you. FWIW, after I had my shoulder surgery, I had one of my best running years ever. Hang in there!

P.S. We'll put you down ad an unofficial alternate for Land and Sky!

2019-02-21 8:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Jealous of everybody and everything (okay--maybe not of long-range issues from concussions). Met with ortho today and have surgery next Thursday--fixing at least three pieces of elbow (two large, one fragment, possibly more) with screws and plate. If all goes well, I can get on the trainer in 3-4 weeks, pool in 4-6 weeks, running in 8-10 weeks, and biking in 10-12 weeks. No further race plans for the year, due to uncertainty about recovery, time needed to regain fitness, and uncertainty about job and moving for summer and beyond. Sigh.... Wishing you all better luck than me!
So sorry, Karen.  I really like Robin's idea to look at the time frames in months rather than weeks.  Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

2019-02-21 10:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Injuries stink! Hoping the surgery is uneventful and there are less things to fix than you think. Like Janyne, after my shoulder surgery I had a very good running season .  I'm sure you will be back to your fast self in no time.

2019-02-21 10:17 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ugh. I guess with all that potential time on the trainer, I could really up my bike game, once I am able to get back onto an actual bike. (The doc said because of my size and where the hardware will be, I might not want to ride a tri bike in aero until they can remove it--hopefully at end of year if healing goes well.) It is actually going to be VISIBLE underneath my skin. Yuck! I guess once I can run again I should be able t work back to normal. Swimming will take time--have been down that road with a previous injury. What actually sounds worse is getting a wetsuit on/off. Just thinking about that almost gives me convulsions. May need to get a sleeveless.
2019-02-21 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Ugh. I guess with all that potential time on the trainer, I could really up my bike game, once I am able to get back onto an actual bike. (The doc said because of my size and where the hardware will be, I might not want to ride a tri bike in aero until they can remove it--hopefully at end of year if healing goes well.) It is actually going to be VISIBLE underneath my skin. Yuck! I guess once I can run again I should be able t work back to normal. Swimming will take time--have been down that road with a previous injury. What actually sounds worse is getting a wetsuit on/off. Just thinking about that almost gives me convulsions. May need to get a sleeveless.

I was able to ride the bike trainer (road bike) fairly quickly after surgery. My main limiter there was the ability to get on/off the bike. I had to stay in an upright, cruiser-type position bit at least I could do something. It may have helped me more mentally than physically bit whatever.

I also ended up getting a TRX during rehab so that I could more PT at home. I got the TRX from Craigslist. Since then, though I have acquired a  knockoff that I like better ($20 from ebay). Something to consider if your PT uses TRX-type stuff.

2019-02-21 12:07 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I am so sorry you have to go through all of that. Including surgery, recovery, and especially the uncertainty. I hope it all goes well, and you come back stronger!
2019-02-21 1:20 PM
in reply to: #5255676

User image

Denver, CO
Karen, sending lots of healing thoughts!! Hope the surgery goes smoothly and that the recovery goes fast. I'm betting that you'll be a good PT patient (unlike me!) and will be back at things on the earlier end of those expected time frames. I think anticipating the recovery time and work is almost worse than actually doing it.
2019-02-21 1:31 PM
in reply to: #5255739

User image

Denver, CO
Mary, Longmont is much cheaper than Boulder. I have a friend who has a son with autism who works as an OT in the Longmont schools. She's also triathlete who has done multiple Ironmans. Not sure if she's doing IM Boulder this year or next, but she usually does. I have a number of other friends who plan to do that and/or Boulder 70.3. Most live in the north Denver suburbs. I'm sure I could help you make some connections.

Robin (fortissimo) is here in the Denver area and TJ lives in Albuquerque but has family up here. Maybe they could join us for a CO Manatee Meet-up.

2019-02-21 9:25 PM

User image

Expert

Ugh. I guess with all that potential time on the trainer, I could really up my bike game, once I am able to get back onto an actual bike. (The doc said because of my size and where the hardware will be, I might not want to ride a tri bike in aero until they can remove it--hopefully at end of year if healing goes well.) It is actually going to be VISIBLE underneath my skin. Yuck! I guess once I can run again I should be able t work back to normal. Swimming will take time--have been down that road with a previous injury. What actually sounds worse is getting a wetsuit on/off. Just thinking about that almost gives me convulsions. May need to get a sleeveless.

Heal fast and heal well.
2019-02-22 4:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

That's a lot to be dealing with all at one time. Sending you healing vibes
2019-02-22 6:50 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Manatee admin stuff:

• I added Mary Stone to the roster. Once a Manatee always a Manatee and all that. Many of us have been following her but I haven't her on the Active Manatees list recently. I just want folks to be able to find her easily.
  • Also, I've noticed that Mary has been posting to Strava recently so I added her to our Strava group as well.
  • Regarding the Land and Sky Relay: We have filled one team. If we can get four more runners, we can field a second team so don't feel that you've been left out! If you want to help out or just hang out, that's an option as well!
  • Regarding Manatee shirts: The relay team(s) will need shirts. After quick look at the Custom Ink stuff, it looks like shirts -- Champion performance -- will run us about $25 each (front printing only, $30 if we put something like Dooo eeeet!!! on the back) with a minimum of six per shirt style. The relay team + driver/sherpa need these shirts but if you aren't coming to Asheville/Cherokee in November (or you are running with another team!), you can still order a shirt! Please participate in the shirt discussions regardless. All opinions matter!
2019-02-22 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm glad you are putting a plan in place and so sorry that you are going through this. Like others said, heal well and hopefully quickly.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107