BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-06-07 6:41 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by Hot Runner Very cool! We have many historic trestles in our area and only a few have been restored or are part of bike trail systems. There are some amazing ones on the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho. I am a big fan of trestles and covered bridges.

I just tried to talk Kevin into the Oregon Trail gravel grinder this morning.  I had him at "meet in Bend" but lost him on "29,000 feet of climbing over five days." 

2022-06-07 6:58 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by melbo55

Nothing going on as exciting as the racing manatees, but I did get out on my MTB to see the new bridge on one of the local trails that has been years in the making.  There was an existing RR trestle which had the original wooden decking (for lack of a better word) that was fenced off at both ends because it was unsafe.  With funding from many sources, they were finally able to create a beautiful concrete deck with high-ish railings, two viewing scopes, and multiple small plexiglass 'windows' to look below the deck.  It is near a dam and is just fantastic!  I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear of joy at its beauty and the fact that it is finally open!  They made it plenty wide for users and did a great job with the information signs and a replica of a watchman's station (there already is one old, original one near the trail head).  

Now two sections of the trail can meet.  Once they finish doing a similar makeover to the other RR trestle that is about 3.5 miles away (it had been refurbished for trail users but some numbnuts burnt it a couple years ago (arson) so now they are adding concrete decking to it instead of wood to prevent the same outcome), the trail will make for a 20 mile ride one way.  Technically it can be done now but until the bridge is repaired, trail users have to go out onto the road to go around.

We saw black vultures, a bald eagle, song birds, and when we stopped on the bridge, cormorants and ducks in the waters and rocks below the dam.  Usually eagles and ospreys hang out there, too, but I didn't see any while I was stopped.  It was neat to see where the waters of the creek and the big Susquehanna meet below the trestle.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'm excited about several rails to trails projects and I really want to do the GAP sometime. Any takers for a GAP glamping expedition?

YES!!!!!
2022-06-07 6:59 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by alaskatriIt isn't racing pics, but we had a great weekend of plenty of halibut (ended up with 7 in total on the weekend), seals, and plenty of whales, including a pod of orcas all around us and even going right under the back of our boat to the point we could have reached down to touch them (which we'd never, EVER do).
This is a bucket list day for me. All of it, from fishing to being close to orcas.
2022-06-07 7:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Nothing going on as exciting as the racing manatees, but I did get out on my MTB to see the new bridge on one of the local trails that has been years in the making.  There was an existing RR trestle which had the original wooden decking (for lack of a better word) that was fenced off at both ends because it was unsafe.  With funding from many sources, they were finally able to create a beautiful concrete deck with high-ish railings, two viewing scopes, and multiple small plexiglass 'windows' to look below the deck.  It is near a dam and is just fantastic!  I am not ashamed to admit I shed a tear of joy at its beauty and the fact that it is finally open!  They made it plenty wide for users and did a great job with the information signs and a replica of a watchman's station (there already is one old, original one near the trail head).  

Now two sections of the trail can meet.  Once they finish doing a similar makeover to the other RR trestle that is about 3.5 miles away (it had been refurbished for trail users but some numbnuts burnt it a couple years ago (arson) so now they are adding concrete decking to it instead of wood to prevent the same outcome), the trail will make for a 20 mile ride one way.  Technically it can be done now but until the bridge is repaired, trail users have to go out onto the road to go around.

We saw black vultures, a bald eagle, song birds, and when we stopped on the bridge, cormorants and ducks in the waters and rocks below the dam.  Usually eagles and ospreys hang out there, too, but I didn't see any while I was stopped.  It was neat to see where the waters of the creek and the big Susquehanna meet below the trestle.

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I'm excited about several rails to trails projects and I really want to do the GAP sometime. Any takers for a GAP glamping expedition?

YES!!!!!

I rode with someone this weekend who does a lot of bike tours -- Europe, etc.  They just got back from the GAP/C&O trip and they said it was one of the best tours they have ever done. 

2022-06-07 7:35 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri It isn't racing pics, but we had a great weekend of plenty of halibut (ended up with 7 in total on the weekend), seals, and plenty of whales, including a pod of orcas all around us and even going right under the back of our boat to the point we could have reached down to touch them (which we'd never, EVER do).

Very cool!

2022-06-07 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

YES!!!!!

I rode with someone this weekend who does a lot of bike tours -- Europe, etc.  They just got back from the GAP/C&O trip and they said it was one of the best tours they have ever done. 

This is interesting.

2022-06-07 9:44 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Very cool! We have many historic trestles in our area and only a few have been restored or are part of bike trail systems. There are some amazing ones on the Hiawatha Trail in Idaho. I am a big fan of trestles and covered bridges.
We have plenty of covered bridges in my area if you are ever on the east coast!  I love them, too.   In general I'm a sucker for older buildings, architecture and structures.  The old mills, lime kilns and pig iron furnaces that remain in the area fascinate me, too.  Stonework.

If you are ever in western PA (Kane, to be specific), check out the Kinzua Bridge, it is an incredible thing to see.

2022-06-07 9:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I think that would be incredibly fun!

2022-06-08 9:44 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I just tried to talk Kevin into the Oregon Trail gravel grinder this morning.  I had him at "meet in Bend" but lost him on "29,000 feet of climbing over five days." 

But all that climbing is over 5 days...OK, it's still a lot of climbing!

2022-06-10 4:02 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

June 11-12
Janyne - BWR Wafer North Carolina on Saturday

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-06-10 4:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

June 11-12

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Headed to the middle of the country to see family - in lieu of my Ironman Des Moines trip. Bittersweet - I'm SO GLAD I'm not racing, truly. But still feel that tinge of missing out. Will be hanging out with two BTers so that's fun! Not Manatees, but my sister (BrendaK) and my original IM buddy Linda (LindaKC). 

2022-06-10 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

June 11-12

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Go Janyne Go!

2022-06-10 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

June 11-12

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a fantastic rond Janyne!!!
2022-06-12 8:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

My friend who I rode with last weekend in Brevard and her husband are doing this! They leave next weekend. Over 300 miles in 5 days!
2022-06-12 8:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

June 11-12

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Have a fantastic rond Janyne!!!

So fun! Cannot wait to hear details about this weekend! I hope you are having a blast!
2022-06-12 9:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Serious question:

I need to order a new tri suit.

My Tri club has one piece vs two piece. Not sure what to get. I've always worn two piece suits but I see that one piece is the new fad?

I'm thinking one piece would be great for sprints but longer races I'm think the 2 piece makes more sense (porta potty stops).

Thoughts?

2022-06-12 9:26 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Serious question: I need to order a new tri suit. My Tri club has one piece vs two piece. Not sure what to get. I've always worn two piece suits but I see that one piece is the new fad? I'm thinking one piece would be great for sprints but longer races I'm think the 2 piece makes more sense (porta potty stops). Thoughts?

I wore a one piece for Choo 70.3 (2019) and liked it except for the porta-potty issue. When deciding to use it I thought the big issue would be the zipping issue - particularly getting the 2 parts together while tired and hurrying, but that turned out not to be a big deal. What was was taking the top down in the porta potty means it can touch really gross things in it! So, that’s another thing to manage. This year I used a 2 piece.

2022-06-12 4:02 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've almost always worn a one-piece for all distances and really never had a problem with it. You can kind of roll the top as you pull it down so it doesn't get gross at porta-potties. I did change into a singlet and shorts for my full IM run, but it was really quick to pull the whole tri-suit off, get down to jog bra, and then put on run clothes. One thing I would recommend against are the one piece suits for women with built-in bras--they often don't seem designed to fit any actual woman who might fit the rest of the suit, and they can be really tough to pull back up when wet. Probably less common now that a lot of suits have sleeves--I can't visualize how a built-in bra would work with one of those!
2022-06-12 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner I've almost always worn a one-piece for all distances and really never had a problem with it. You can kind of roll the top as you pull it down so it doesn't get gross at porta-potties. I did change into a singlet and shorts for my full IM run, but it was really quick to pull the whole tri-suit off, get down to jog bra, and then put on run clothes. One thing I would recommend against are the one piece suits for women with built-in bras--they often don't seem designed to fit any actual woman who might fit the rest of the suit, and they can be really tough to pull back up when wet. Probably less common now that a lot of suits have sleeves--I can't visualize how a built-in bra would work with one of those!

I watched some of today’s IM Des Moines and the lead woman used the porta potty while on the run. There was a whole discussion about how tight the suits are and how difficult they can be to get the arms back in bc of the wet and the tightness. The racer actually was pretty good at it, she came out with it down and worked on getting situated as she ran along. My one piece was sleeveless so I didnt have that issue. I have one with sleeves that I’ve only worn a couple of times in training and can attest to the arms being a bit hard to slip into. That said, if I ever do a 70.3 again, I’d probably go back to the suit and just make sure I am careful in the porta potty!

2022-06-12 7:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

June 4
Janyne - MS Spring Fling 100k
Leanne - WNC Flyer 100 miler
Anne - Unbound Gravel volunteering

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Jim and I are supposed to do the WnC Flyer as well.

Awesome!  Have a great time and doooo eeettt!!!

We abandoned ship. Both of us did a lot of cabin work, sewer unstopping (DONT FLUSH PAPER TOWELS AND DIAPERS), yardwork and house repairs. Its the first time in 2 years I could really get out without hurting. So yes, I may have done too much. It would be scary to get out on the roads today with sore everything. I hate to miss it, it is a good ride.

We could have met in person!
2022-06-13 1:47 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them.

what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST!

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmeter_cd...

Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

2022-06-13 2:02 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them. what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmete... Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

Discharge is going to be very river-specific with the meaning of the values dependent upon the width and depth of the river.  Also, since it's "discharge," is it safe to assume that this is dam released? If so, USGS can control it to some extent.

Looking at the 2021 data (July 25, 2021), it seems that the rate was in the 5800 range and today it's 60,000+ so yes, it's extremely high. Just look at the view from July 1, 2021 to now.

2022-06-13 2:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them. what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmete... Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

I don't recall what the rate was, but it wasn't just rate that got the swim canceled, it was elevated bacteria rates and tree limbs!

I'll see if I can find something about the rate, but based upon Janyne's post that rate is super high. 

2022-06-13 2:30 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I don't recall what the rate was, but it wasn't just rate that got the swim canceled, it was elevated bacteria rates and tree limbs!

I'll see if I can find something about the rate, but based upon Janyne's post that rate is super high. 

It occurred to me that we were just looking at two points, really, July 2021 vs now.  What if last July was extremely low?  Well July 2020 had a discharge rate in the in the 7500 range so that 's not the case and July 2019 was in the high 6000 range so nope, 2022 is really high/fast.

2022-06-13 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

It occurred to me that we were just looking at two points, really, July 2021 vs now.  What if last July was extremely low?  Well July 2020 had a discharge rate in the in the 7500 range so that 's not the case and July 2019 was in the high 6000 range so nope, 2022 is really high/fast.

Not sure how to interpret this but here you go

https://mediterraswim.com/swim-training/willamette-river-swim-clinics/

Prepare for your upcoming Oregon 70.3 IM race. Our triathlon and local (river) experienced ow coaches and staff will guide you along the technical dynamics of the Willamette River from race start to finish. In an exploratory, non-competitive atmosphere, experience the entry, the (mild) rapids, current assist, and navigation on this course. Previous participants have found this to be an extremely valuable opportunity, boosting their confidence on race day.

Extend your preparations this day with LifeSport Coaching’s 70.3 Oregon Clinic, which will include course preview of the bike and run legs, as well as discussion on nutrition, hydration, pacing, and mental preparation. This clinic will start immediately after the swim.

Dates and Times

Saturday, June 18 / CANCELLED due to rough river conditions

Saturday, June 25 / CANCELLED due to rough river conditions

An alternative ow clinic will be held each morning at Turner Lake for those registered already.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 29128 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93