BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-05-18 7:36 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by tomsimper I just wanted to say that I felt a little bit like a "hard core" runner today because it was dark and raining and I went for a run outside anyway This is something that I never ever thought that I would do, its funny how things change. The other day I got a text from K saying "I only had to do 3k this morning it hardly felt worth getting up for." This from the girl that 6 months ago bitched and moaned about how hard it was to run for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes. ----- Stacey Awesome!

Isn't that fun to see that kind of progress with your (and K's) mindset!

2016-05-18 7:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by melbo55

Who here is participating in the Save the Manatees 5k virtual race this weekend?

Manatee Melbo, in!

Manatee Robin, in!

Great!  That makes at least three of us!

Mine will be a shuffle/walk rather than a run. But it will be done. Maybe even outside this time since I will be near a paved trail rather than on the road. I don't want to step wrong and set the healing of my heal back.

2016-05-18 7:50 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Who here is participating in the Save the Manatees 5k virtual race this weekend?

Manatee Melbo, in!

Manatee Robin, in!

Mine will be a shuffle/walk rather than a run. But it will be done. Maybe even outside this time since I will be near a paved trail rather than on the road. I don't want to step wrong and set the healing of my heal back.

Hey, they did say run or walk.

I received the stuff in the mail but I haven't opened it yet.  I think "packet pickup" should be on Friday so I'm saving it.

Thanks for finding this for us, Melanie!

2016-05-18 7:58 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

I just wanted to say that I felt a little bit like a "hard core" runner today because it was dark and raining and I went for a run outside anyway

This is something that I never ever thought that I would do, its funny how things change. The other day I got a text from K saying "I only had to do 3k this morning it hardly felt worth getting up for." This from the girl that 6 months ago bitched and moaned about how hard it was to run for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes.

Good job, and welcome to the world that celebrates running in the rain! Your family, your friends and your coworkers may not understand, but we do. did I mention we are a little bit of a cult, but don't worry Janyne is in charge of the Kool aid.
2016-05-18 8:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If running in the rain didn't happen, my hometown (Eugene, Oregon) never would have earned the title, "Running Capital of the World." In fact, very little running would happen at all between about November and June......

Janyne can be in charge of the KoolAid, but I am in charge of the chocolate.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-05-18 8:05 AM
2016-05-18 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Manatee Melbo, in!

Manatee Robin, in!

Hey, they did say run or walk.

I received the stuff in the mail but I haven't opened it yet.  I think "packet pickup" should be on Friday so I'm saving it.

Thanks for finding this for us, Melanie!

I got mine in the mail, but I did open it. I washed the shirt for wearing. It is all waiting till Saturday now.

2016-05-18 8:50 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Good morning Manatee's! I have the 920xt HRM bundle (the original, not the new tri or swim strap) and the strap seems to have died on me. I replaced the battery about 2 months ago and for some reason this week it's decided to stop working. I have a race on Sunday and I've gotten so used to tracking my performance and gauging myself based on HR I don't know what to do. I plan on calling Garmin but figure I check here too in case anyone has gone through this and has any ideas. Thanks!
2016-05-18 8:59 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by StaceyK I just wanted to say that I felt a little bit like a "hard core" runner today because it was dark and raining and I went for a run outside anyway This is something that I never ever thought that I would do, its funny how things change. The other day I got a text from K saying "I only had to do 3k this morning it hardly felt worth getting up for." This from the girl that 6 months ago bitched and moaned about how hard it was to run for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes.
Good job, and welcome to the world that celebrates running in the rain! Your family, your friends and your coworkers may not understand, but we do. did I mention we are a little bit of a cult, but don't worry Janyne is in charge of the Kool aid.

haha, this is exactly right!! I used to laugh at those who ran in the ran, now I'm the one getting laughed at. The first time I chose to go out while it was raining I told myself I was officially a Runner!!

2016-05-18 9:00 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by cdban66

Dave - How was the trail run?

10km run in the pouring rain the entire time. My plan was to take it easy on the first 5 or 6 k then turn it up and try to sneak under the 1hr mark. It wasnt a bad run but I never really found the groove and it wasnt until a marshal called out "almost there... only 1k to go" that I really clued in that I should have been pushing a little harder. Finished in 1:01:54 which really isnt bad for a a trail run for me but also close enough to that 1hr goal that I was disappointed... Still better than sitting on the couch though so there is that. Next 10km is in 4 week and its basically a rail trail run so 1hr should be well within reach. PLUS I finally got a GPS running watch for my birthday today so I will no longer have to be running blind!

Experience is how you learn, right?  Sounds like a success, to me - although I totally get the "close to one hour" thing.  Funny how those break points seem to matter more than a target that's not at something like a 30' or hour mark (even if I targeted 1hr and 30", I'd be gunning to break the hour!).  Obviously not any different, but the psychology of it is.  Like $9.99 feeling a whole lot less expensive than $10 - not logical, but no less real for it...  Great run, regardless.

Awesome on the watch!   I love having the data (even if some runs I cover it until after).  Very cool!

Matt

2016-05-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

We had lots of storms come through last night. Unfortunately, an oak tree decided to lose one of its big limbs right on top of my fence, front edge of roof and on top of my car!!  It is a big mess. Spending this morning contacting car insurance, HO insurance and tree people

(image.png)

Attachments
----------------
image.png (187KB - 4 downloads)
2016-05-18 9:03 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tomsimper I just wanted to say that I felt a little bit like a "hard core" runner today because it was dark and raining and I went for a run outside anyway This is something that I never ever thought that I would do, its funny how things change. The other day I got a text from K saying "I only had to do 3k this morning it hardly felt worth getting up for." This from the girl that 6 months ago bitched and moaned about how hard it was to run for 30 seconds and then walk for 2 minutes. ----- Stacey Awesome!

Awesome!  One of my favorite expressions from some of my special operations friends is, "I love the way this sucks!" 

It's one that I often repeat to myself - and it makes looking back on some experiences that could be considered grim a MUCH more enjoyable experience. 

Hard core can be fun!  Congrats. 

Matt

2016-05-18 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Here's another photo

(image.png)

Attachments
----------------
image.png (211KB - 4 downloads)
2016-05-18 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

We had lots of storms come through last night. Unfortunately, an oak tree decided to lose one of its big limbs right on top of my fence, front edge of roof and on top of my car!!  It is a big mess. Spending this morning contacting car insurance, HO insurance and tree people

Ugh ugh ugh.  Sorry!

2016-05-18 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Oh no!
2016-05-18 9:16 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by TXTriRook Good morning Manatee's! I have the 920xt HRM bundle (the original, not the new tri or swim strap) and the strap seems to have died on me. I replaced the battery about 2 months ago and for some reason this week it's decided to stop working. I have a race on Sunday and I've gotten so used to tracking my performance and gauging myself based on HR I don't know what to do. I plan on calling Garmin but figure I check here too in case anyone has gone through this and has any ideas. Thanks!

Having gone through a few of the same bands, the only things I can suggest are trying a new battery (in case the one you used to replace it had been on the shelf a long time or such) first, and then calling Garmin.  They've been great about replacing other items for me, but I've never asked about a HR band, as the ones that bit the dust for me were worn out (frayed or coming apart at the edge of the sensor portion, for instance), so I didn't try to return them.

Sounds like yours might be defective, if it's relatively new and not the battery...

For this weekend, if the battery switch doesn't fix it, the only things I could recommend would be to trust your training (although that can be disconcerting, especially until you have a bunch of experience to be able to gauge your HR during a race - which can be a different "feel" than during training for the first several) or to buy a new sensor strap (which would be a bummer if Garmin would replace it).

What distance is the race?  **For me,** knowing my HR becomes more important during a race as the length increases.  For a sprint, I'm pinned (and can barely understand what my watch is telling me during the race), so don't use HR much if at all.  For an Oly, I use HR to keep from going too hard the first 10 miles of the bike, but then it's more about continuing to push until the end.  For a half (which is as long as I've gone), I use it much more - to limit myself on the bike and push harder on the run.  That's just me, but hoping it might help you think through your decision process...

Maybe try the battery and call Garmin? If the battery works, then you're done.  If not and they say they'll swap then go "naked" this weekend.  If they won't, then maybe buy a new strap. 

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Matt

2016-05-18 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook Good morning Manatee's! I have the 920xt HRM bundle (the original, not the new tri or swim strap) and the strap seems to have died on me. I replaced the battery about 2 months ago and for some reason this week it's decided to stop working. I have a race on Sunday and I've gotten so used to tracking my performance and gauging myself based on HR I don't know what to do. I plan on calling Garmin but figure I check here too in case anyone has gone through this and has any ideas. Thanks!

Spend $12.50 and replace the strap.

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor-Replacement-Garmin-Transmitters/dp/B00U2SXACU/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1463581055

2016-05-18 9:19 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Manatee Melbo, in!

Manatee Robin, in!

For some crazy reason, last night I was dreaming about the virtual race and the manatee group.  Janyne was there for sure, and I remember Ann-Marie making some sort of map with red strings connecting the manatees who are doing the race by state or town so we could see who was doing the race and how far away they were (or some reason, I'm not 100% sure).  I know other manatees were there, too, but the dream is a little fuzzy.  I mainly remember the crazy string map!  Weird.

2016-05-18 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Oh no!  I'm glad that you are OK but really sorry about the other damage.  Did Gunnar do OK?

2016-05-18 9:35 AM

User image

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Monitor-Replacement-Garmin-Transmitters/dp/B00U2SXACU/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1463581055

Thanks Matt and Jayne. The race is called an X-50. It's a 1 mile swim, 40 mile bike and 9 mile run. I've never done a race like this before but I figure it'll be a good practice run for my HIM at the end of June. I hate to be so dependent on technology but like you Matt, I would definitely overdo it on the bike without my watch telling me to slow down! I called Garmin and they told me to take out the battery for 20 mins and wash the strap. I'm going to try that tonight and if it still doesn't work they're going to mail be a new one by Saturday. Great customer service!
2016-05-18 9:39 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Oh no!  I'm glad that you are OK but really sorry about the other damage.  Did Gunnar do OK?

Ouch, I hope you and Gunnar are both ok. Things can be replaced, although the process is never fun  Pets and people is a whole different issue. Our second dog, Gil, used to cower in the walk-in closet during storms. It was the only room in the house without windows, so the effect of lightning and thunder was reduced, I guess. 

2016-05-18 9:42 AM

User image

Damm that sucks, hope you get things sorted quickly and the insurance companies help instead of hinder!

2016-05-18 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I had a similar problem with my 910xt.  I replaced the battery in the strap and it refused to work.  It was the night before Vegas Rock n Roll marathon so I stopped at the Garmin booth at the expo to see if they could help.  Garmin rep takes the watch and clicks through a few things and it works.  Apparently it had to be synced back to the device.  Given that yours worked after replacing the battery maybe this isn't the problem but thought I'd throw it out there.  Good luck.  

2016-05-18 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Thanks Matt and Jayne. The race is called an X-50. It's a 1 mile swim, 40 mile bike and 9 mile run. I've never done a race like this before but I figure it'll be a good practice run for my HIM at the end of June. I hate to be so dependent on technology but like you Matt, I would definitely overdo it on the bike without my watch telling me to slow down! I called Garmin and they told me to take out the battery for 20 mins and wash the strap. I'm going to try that tonight and if it still doesn't work they're going to mail be a new one by Saturday. Great customer service!

That is excellent customer service!!

2016-05-18 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

X2!

2016-05-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Manatee Melbo, in!

Manatee Robin, in!

For some crazy reason, last night I was dreaming about the virtual race and the manatee group.  Janyne was there for sure, and I remember Ann-Marie making some sort of map with red strings connecting the manatees who are doing the race by state or town so we could see who was doing the race and how far away they were (or some reason, I'm not 100% sure).  I know other manatees were there, too, but the dream is a little fuzzy.  I mainly remember the crazy string map!  Weird.

That is funny

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.